New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: OotS Style Art/Fanart Showcase VI

Quote Originally Posted by Crimmy View Post
    That'd be because you don't post in the Calling OotS Avatarists. It's reserved for avatarists. You PM the avatarists that are listed there.

And the RAOSA thread might be your best bet. Here's just a showcase thread, not a request one.
    Now, let me level with you: Asking over here might hurt your chances of actually getting an avatar done, seeing how it might look like you wanna jump over the others requesting at the RAOSA thread. That's bad form.

My usual standards for making one are that you be someone with... a certain time in the forums, so as to know my drawing will not be used by someone who posts twice then ghosts forever. The other one being that you're concise, ask for something cool but not too over the top. I'd say that's usually gonna get you avatarists because it's not liked when a guy comes in to ask for 50 million detail in your avatar. Check your request and make sure it's not too over the top.
    I said in my post - which you quoted - that I asked in the Request thread. An initial ask and two reposts, with at least 48 hours between each posting, as per the rules given in that thread's OP. And I didn't know that the Calling thread was for avatarist posting only, but I did notice that its OP hasn't been updated in over a year, which is why I came into this thread to ask questions from artists who are definitely active.
    Tyrael
    ~~~
    "I am a necromancer, but not of the common kind.
    Where others of the art raise the Dead, I lay them back to rest
    —And those that will not rest, I bind."

~~~

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Abhorsen View Post
    I said in my post - which you quoted - that I asked in the Request thread. An initial ask and two reposts, with at least 48 hours between each posting, as per the rules given in that thread's OP. And I didn't know that the Calling thread was for avatarist posting only, but I did notice that its OP hasn't been updated in over a year, which is why I came into this thread to ask questions from artists who are definitely active.
    ... you do realize the OP changes only when avatarists change their status, right? As in, the last post in it is also over a year old.
    If you don't get an avatarist at the RAOSA thread, then PM one. If you're unlucky, I'm sorry to say you're unlucky. But to be fair this is not a request thread, mainle because that's what the RAOSA thread is for, but also because it would be so cheap to come in here and jump over the other's requests.

IF, and only if, you're feeling impatient, why not try your own hand at it? Inkscape is there, and I'm sure somewhere around here the old Inkscape Tutorial is still up.

The threads are there to check them and to post in them for their specific purposes, so why not do just that?
    Last edited by Crimmy : Tomorrow at 26:72 DM.

Spoiler
    Show

Iron Avatarist has gone on hiatus. Give me your feedback, please
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    ...Is that a mess of tentacles sprouting out of the fourth person or did they suddenly grew the world's most awesome mustache ?
    (Given the weird braintacle floating under I'm going to supose the former ?
    Isn't a mass of tentacles also the most awesome moustache as well?

But yes, Polyphorm to Illithid, which means those are indeed tentacles.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

... you do realize the OP changes only when avatarists change their status, right? As in, the last post in it is also over a year old.
    If you don't get an avatarist at the RAOSA thread, then PM one. If you're unlucky, I'm sorry to say you're unlucky. But to be fair this is not a request thread, mainle because that's what the RAOSA thread is for, but also because it would be so cheap to come in here and jump over the other's requests.

IF, and only if, you're feeling impatient, why not try your own hand at it? Inkscape is there, and I'm sure somewhere around here the old Inkscape Tutorial is still up.
    To be fair, a thread that hasn't been updated in a year is practically dead which might be why people aren't posting in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Abhorsen View Post
    Regarding learning yourself, the general guide is probably Trazoi's inkscape guide: http://www.trazoi.net/tutorials/inkscape/oots/.
    It is ancient but teaches the basics in a fast but through way.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    To be fair, a thread that hasn't been updated in a year is practically dead which might be why people aren't posting in it.
    You turned things around. It's not been posted in because there has been no need to update. Not backwards.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

Not really, since none has updated their status posting an update in it now would fall under the common rule of thread necromancy - ergo no post can be made without prior consent of the moderator crew.
    Any tread like that is dead, and as a result most likely outdated.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, now it's starting to get updated. My signature has the new link, and people who might want to check for it will find it easily.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

My pronouns are they/them, but I don't care much.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    And now I return to the land of the dead.
    August! August, I've missed you so much! *Glomps.*

10. - Top - End - #430
    Barbarian in the Playground

LordDeathkeeper, the fact that the minotaurs have no visible tails is a valid point. I could have given them tails like real life bovines, and not doing so is almost a mistake. Gurgleflep also has a good point though. For me, I envision them having very short, fluffy tails which curl upwards, sort of like a rabbit’s. That kind of tail would only be visible from behind.

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    And speaking of which, I actually really like those birdies. Maybe it's because they remind me of some of the more cartoony depictions of Chocobos, which are cute and fuzzy.
    Thanks, I also rather like the Avian race. They do look a lot like chocobos, although I didn’t consciously intend it that way.

Gulaghar, I don’t mind at all if you use my reference sheet. That’s totally what it was intended for. (Just curious; are Kirk and Dena both drow?) Also, I realized afterwards that the dryad in the racial reference sheet lacks her characteristic, long pointy ears. >_<

The pokeyman’s got style, I’d have to admit,Derjuin. If you don’t mind me asking, what’s the name of this type of Pokemon?

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    I'd say that the sheet has become exponentially better with the new additions, great work!
    I especially like how the feet have been handled.
    Thanks. I tried thinking how the feet would look in a 3D space. I used foreshortening on the feet of each figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimmy
    *Armless, angry guy*
    Just. Awesome. And although Asura’s Wrath is a video game, I agree that it would have worked just as well as an anime. I also did an Asura’s Wrath fanart before too. It’s from the 12th episode (Gods of Death), which has got to be one of the most heartwrenching scenes I have even seen.

Quote Originally Posted by gurgleflep
    Also, I've got a comic strip thing made (Savannah gave me the idea for it over on DA). It's fairly large though so it's gotta be spoilered.
    Quite an amusing little comic, gurgleflep. I used to draw avatars with floating hands too. Later, the nonsensical nature of that style led to go back to arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman
    *guy in a hockey mask*
    It’s nice to see more hypo-outlined art from you. I second Crimmy in saying that the head is proportionately too small. If you try swapping the head for a simple circle of the same size, it might make the disproportion easier to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimmy
    And as personal taste goes, I'm not a big fan of unoutlined oots art, but that's my personal taste only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar
    I share the opinion that borders look better in oots art, but hey, experimenting never hurt anyone. Maybe try some way of making the different parts contrast more, though. I'm not sure what the best way to go about that would be, though.
    Challenge accepted.

Well, not really, I don’t expect to sway your opinion on the unoutlined style, but this is my first attempt at drawing an avatar without outlines. Believe it or not, the only objects with a stroke are the background frame. Although they look like lines, the drow’s mouth, arms, hands and legs are simply filled shapes with no stroke. What appears to be black and light purple outlines are actually strokeless filled shapes set behind the main drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomish
    I decided to be creative.
    She looks like she’s got a story to tell. Solid avatar.
    As an aside, I had put a reference to you in my reference sheet on the previous page. See if you can spot it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiff
    I felt like drawing a wizard.
    One major advantage of your image editing program (is it raster?) is the ability to make textures.

Quote Originally Posted by ”Pink Haired August”
    That moment in your D&D game where the game is so boring you actually get through drawing the entire party rather than listening to the DM...
    The twelve headed dragon thing is unbelievably cool.

Quote Originally Posted by asdflove
    I made a thing.
    The Order as Pokemon? It’s great! I don’t have much experience with pokemen though.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

No problem at all, Kurien. It's your art, I was just asking for the sake of consistency.

Oh, and the pokemon is Moeletta, I believe!

And now I must be a little bit jealous of Arkh's avvie, because you made it awesome, even though I dislike Drow and their elven...elfy-ness.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

12. - Top - End - #432
    Troll in the Playground

I made something, which is surprising since I haven't been doing this much. Anyway. The thing on the bottom left is a present, I know it's hard to tell...

Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurien View Post
    The Order as Pokemon? It’s great! I don’t have much experience with pokemen though.
    I actually made that team and beat the elite four with it. Which inspired the picture (and another one I currently have sitting half finished).
    My pronouns are they/them, but I don't care much.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

Just. Awesome. And although Asura’s Wrath is a video game, I agree that it would have worked just as well as an anime. I also did an Asura’s Wrath fanart before too. It’s from the 12th episode (Gods of Death), which has got to be one of the most heartwrenching scenes I have even seen.

I agree on that one. Man this game was so good.

Challenge accepted.

Well, not really, I don’t expect to sway your opinion on the unoutlined style, but this is my first attempt at drawing an avatar without outlines. Believe it or not, the only objects with a stroke are the background frame. Although they look like lines, the drow’s mouth, arms, hands and legs are simply filled shapes with no stroke. What appears to be black and light purple outlines are actually strokeless filled shapes set behind the main drawing.
    Oh you bloody... It was NOT a challenge!
    Why must you make me feel so small with your own paintatars?

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #435
    Troll in the Playground

(Well, technicaly, it's not really entirely unoutlined, init ?
    Colored outline around the character still counts as an outline)
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2014-01-26 at 02:02 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

16. - Top - End - #436
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, I thought it was clear that I was being facetious about the whole challenge thing.

You'll be glad to know that Arkhosia's avatar isn't a Paintatar. One of the requirements of my courses at school is using Adobe CC. Over the course of a few months, I've become quite familiar with Illustrator, so that's what I go with nowadays. I'm probably quite rusty with MS Paint now.

... I can just imagine you pumping your fist in triumph right now, since Kymme is your only competition for Best Paintatarist now. Not that Kymme's art isn't good too. It's just that you both approach avatars quite differently.

smuchmuch: What I meant is that as a vector file, technically almost none of the objects have strokes, only fills. The outline is achieved by making a separate object behind the avatar (which is slightly bigger) and giving it a purple fill.

Yes, the Ilpharratar has some "outlines", but they're only used to make the character visually distinct from the background.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Troll in the Playground

The pokeyman’s got style, I’d have to admit, Derjuin. If you don’t mind me asking, what’s the name of this type of Pokemon?
    It's Meloetta, a type of legendary pokemon famous for the songs it creates. Meloetta is pretty new (released in 2012) and kinda obscure (since you really can't get it in the games, only through special release events). I'm trying out a new style, wherein arms and such are not actually sticks, but objects with fill. I'm stuck on hands, though - at least trying to make them appear to wrap around objects instead of just being in front/behind them.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

... I can just imagine you pumping your fist in triumph right now, since Kymme is your only competition for Best Paintatarist now. Not that Kymme's art isn't good too. It's just that you both approach avatars quite differently.
    *Pumps fist triumphantly*

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #439
    Dwarf in the Playground

I made a not superbly exciting paladin looking fellow, but I'm fairly happy with how it turned out, being the first time I used Inkscape ever.

Spoiler
    Show

All comments telling me what I did wrong are appreciated.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bling Cat View Post
    I made a not superbly exciting paladin looking fellow, but I'm fairly happy with how it turned out, being the first time I used Inkscape ever.

Spoiler
    Show

All comments telling me what I did wrong are appreciated.
    I would say only 2 things truly bother me.

1. The feet. They look weird (mainly because they're not of the same length), maybe you should consider starting the legs further away from each other, almost to the extremes of the lower torso? As in, the lines that are the legs should start from the corners of the rectangle.
    Also, it's usual to see a bit of a more dynamic pose with the feet/legs. The one that's on his left (our right) should go straight down, while his right (our left) should make a sliiiight diaginal. That way, you can have legs that are of the same lenght and also look better.
    If you wanna do the dynamic pose, though, you need to change the way his right feet faces. Instead of going to the front, maybe pointing towards us, or going backwards?

2. The arms. They should come out of the body curving. OotS arms are known for their curvyness. Try to make them look less tense.
    The hands, btw, also look weird. Why not make them a hald circle instead of Vs pointing downwards?

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #441
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks Crimmy. I wasn't happy with the hands, but it hadn't occurred to me to use the half circle. The legs is something I hadn't really noticed before, but now that you pointed it out it really bothers me.

Spoiler
    Show

How does this look? I scaled it up a bit as well, I wanted it a bit bigger.
    Last edited by Bling Cat; 2014-01-26 at 04:29 PM.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Troll in the Playground

Try making the legs a bit longer and curving them a bit.

Show
    You're my favorite.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

23. - Top - End - #443
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alright, I curved the legs, and also rounded the ends of the belt, which I hadn't noticed but fixed when I spotted it. Anything else you guys think could be done? This is all about improving my technique, so I'm interested in everything.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #444
    Troll in the Playground

It's very good now. Only things I would suggest are moving the true left foot flat onto the ground so it doesn't look like he's flying, and either change the color of the cross-guard or move it down so it does not look like it is part of the belt.
    Show
    You're my favorite.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

Which reminds me, Cuth, that your portfolio link in the Avatarists thread is not a link to your portfolio, but a link to imageshack only. Might wanna update it.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #446
    Troll in the Playground

Which reminds me, Cuth, that your portfolio link in the Avatarists thread is not a link to your portfolio, but a link to imageshack only. Might wanna update it.
    I shall be summoned by Finn and Finn alone.

Show
    You're my favorite.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Haven't been feeling very artistic lately, haven't done much of anything since right around Thanksgiving

Here are some goblins, same as earlier with some fixes and one or two more... have at it:
    Spoiler
    Show

Edit: Oh, asdflove, I finally got around to reading the Harry Potter series (snagged the books from my sister). They're good, but not quite my cup of tea.
    Last edited by gurgleflep; 2014-01-27 at 01:04 AM.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gurgleflep View Post
    I finally got around to reading the Harry Potter series (snagged the books from my sister). They're good, but not quite my cup of tea.
    I loved that warforged one.

And here's where most people would go "OMG how could you not lovvvvve itttt dam u haev bad tastez". But I understand you man, happens to me and Hunger Games. I just don't find it all that... appealing.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #449
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I loved that warforged one.

And here's where most people would go "OMG how could you not lovvvvve itttt dam u haev bad tastez". But I understand you man, happens to me and Hunger Games. I just don't find it all that... appealing.
    Glad ya like it it was rather fun to make.

Everybody has different tastes though, so that wouldn't bother me.
    The idea behind Hunger Games weirded me out, kids killing other kids for entertainment? That's entertaining?! Not even Woody Harrelson could make me watch it
    On the subject of books though, I like the Drizzt series, I'm up to The Thousand Orcs. I plan on OotSing up the Companions of the Hall, eventually.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

*Has his bush prepared for admiration*
    Unfortunately my admiration bush was burnt in a small house fire in front of my last apartment. I need to find a new one first. <.<

One major advantage of your image editing program (is it raster?) is the ability to make textures.
    Flash. It's still a matter of knowing what I'm doing though, not just having a great program. I've had to practice a lot to get to where I am now, and I can't draw a thing with it except Oots stuff because I just can't draw at all.
    Last edited by Tiffanie Lirle; 2014-01-27 at 10:41 AM.