New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OotS Style Art/Fanart Showcase VI

What exactly are the guild lines for "oots-style"?

My avatars have colored outlines and pointed stroke end; would they qualify?

DM'ing Trouble In Orlane IC | OOC

Stick figure character portraits I've made for myself and others.

"I think most gamemasters would agree that their world functions significantly more smoothly before the PCs ever show up." -

2. - Top - End - #632
    Troll in the Playground

Generally round heads and eyes are the main things.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

3. - Top - End - #633
    Pixie in the Playground

I wasn't sure which way the eyes were supposed to go, they didn't quite look right either way. But it definitely makes more sense for the big eye to be the one closest to the viewer. I'll have to fix that. Also, I was going to do stick arms, but like I said, my son demanded arms for his tattoo. I gave him a muscled looking torso to represent his high constitution, but I didn't give him very muscled arms because he has a very low strength.

As far as art experience goes, I once took a drawing class in highschool, but I'm pretty sure I spent more time flirting with my highschool sweetheart than paying attention to my lessons. I haven't tried drawing anything with pencil and paper in ages. I've also painted minis for Warhammer and D&D which was lots of fun, though again, it's been years. I'm absolutely loving inkscape though! I've always been a pretty fast learner when it comes to trying my hand at pretty much anything crafty, and with all the awesome examples I've seen on this site to use as reference (as well as the extremely helpful tutorial I found here) I think I'm picking it up pretty quickly. I've still got lots to learn though, so your feedback is totally appreciated!

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaariane View Post
    I wasn't sure which way the eyes were supposed to go, they didn't quite look right either way. But it definitely makes more sense for the big eye to be the one closest to the viewer. I'll have to fix that. Also, I was going to do stick arms, but like I said, my son demanded arms for his tattoo. I gave him a muscled looking torso to represent his high constitution, but I didn't give him very muscled arms because he has a very low strength.

As far as art experience goes, I once took a drawing class in highschool, but I'm pretty sure I spent more time flirting with my highschool sweetheart than paying attention to my lessons. I haven't tried drawing anything with pencil and paper in ages. I've also painted minis for Warhammer and D&D which was lots of fun, though again, it's been years. I'm absolutely loving inkscape though! I've always been a pretty fast learner when it comes to trying my hand at pretty much anything crafty, and with all the awesome examples I've seen on this site to use as reference (as well as the extremely helpful tutorial I found here) I think I'm picking it up pretty quickly. I've still got lots to learn though, so your feedback is totally appreciated!
    Good static example of eyes, hands/legs and general positioning of stuff (plus shameless art plug)
    Last edited by Crimmy : Tomorrow at 26:72 DM.

Spoiler
    Show

Iron Avatarist has gone on hiatus. Give me your feedback, please
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #635

HalfOrcPirate

Dagnabbit, ya'll post a lot! I'm NOT gonna go and quote all of you buggers with your words and what-not, but I will get to the point: you're all very good at arts, welcome to the newbies - who are all better than me by the way! , I like the art and all that jazz, I wish I was as good as all of you, and I have no computer with which I can make OotS stuff on at the moment so lurking in the shadows admiring all of you fine folks art is what I'll be doing until my personal computer is fixed or a new one is bought.
    Also, next time I move, I'm hiring you folks. Seriously, I don't care what part of the planet you're from - if I have the money to afford your plane, boat, train tickets, or taxi fares, I'm getting those of you I've dealt with down here in Missouri!

6. - Top - End - #636
    Troll in the Playground

I dunno if this really even can be considered "oots" style art, since I deviated from it a bit when I realized stick legs and arms would look horrid on it...

Oh well, I still like it.

Last edited by Derjuin; 2014-06-06 at 10:32 PM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

7. - Top - End - #637

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    I dunno if this really even can be considered "oots" style art, since I deviated from it a bit when I realized stick legs and arms would look horrid on it...

Oh well, I still like it.

That is terrifying in both content and quality.
    I applaud your work, but I'll be seeing that in my nightmares.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Troll in the Playground

I dunno if this really even can be considered "oots" style art
    Not even remotely .
    Love the design

(Which reminds me, this isn't the first time I say it but it would be nice if someone revived the non OOtS art showcase thread.)
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, I want to try doing this style of art...But I am not a very good artist, nor do I have very much experience in art. Can you guys give me any tips on how to get started?

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    Hey, I want to try doing this style of art...But I am not a very good artist, nor do I have very much experience in art. Can you guys give me any tips on how to get started?
    Several things.
    1. Do you want to do the new noodle style or the classic sticky style?
    2. Do you have/are you willing to download Inkscape?
    3. There's actually a tutorial around here someplace (though I didn't use it).

As for getting started, well I just did it this way (after totally lurking here (2, maybe 3 thread ago) for several weeks): Decide what you're drawing, Open Inkscape, and start by drawing the circle for the head, but that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    (Which reminds me, this isn't the first time I say it but it would be nice if someone revived the non OOtS art showcase thread.)
    We had one of those?
    My pronouns are they/them, but I don't care much.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #641
    Titan in the Playground

1. I do like the sticky style slightly better. I feel like it allows the hand to be more things without causing problems.
    2. I have downloaded Inkscape.
    3. Really? Where?
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2014-06-07 at 05:20 PM.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

I am not looking for the tutorial right now, but I found this.

I think I'll restart that. Give me a second, and watch for the thread.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ogre in the Playground

1. I do like the sticky style slightly better. I feel like it allows the hand to be more things without causing problems.
    2. I have downloaded Inkscape.
    3. Really? Where?
    Ah good, I can help then (I don't care for the noodly style and I use Inkscape, as do most of us here).

Uh, ah, here it is. I knew it had been linked towards the start of this thread. OotS away, give us your first piece then we can help more.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

Though it may sound smug, it's a good advice to start with: Don't ever say it's "your way of doing things/your art style" until you've had PLENTY of time to experiment and determine whether your pwn ideas work in OotS Style. My usual recommendation is to stick to true OotS until you've had enough practice that you can make avatars almost without reference.

Another thing: Practice, practice, practice. Pencil and paper, Paint, Inkscape, try to make as many drawings as you can. It will most certainly pay off.

Finally: Share with us. I believe I might be the harshest critic in here in terms of OotS Style Avatars, but that's only when I see people can actually improve dramatically with subtle changes. Also, I'm just one of many, lots of people here willing to give you some advice and help out. There are some here who refuse to change their style because, well, I dunno. And then there are others who take the advice from all of us and improve in fantastic ways (From the top of my head, the ones I recall having such awesome development are Gulaghar and asdflove).

So, basically: Don't be proud, don't stop drawing, don't stop sharing. The cycle then repeats itself.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crimmy View Post
    Finally: Share with us. I believe I might be the harshest critic in here in terms of OotS Style Avatars, but that's only when I see people can actually improve dramatically with subtle changes. Also, I'm just one of many, lots of people here willing to give you some advice and help out. There are some here who refuse to change their style because, well, I dunno. And then there are others who take the advice from all of us and improve in fantastic ways (From the top of my head, the ones I recall having such awesome development are Gulaghar and asdflove).
    I modeled myself off Gnomish the most at first, but I think yours and Teddy's (where did he go? I miss his voice in this thread) critique actually helped me the most. I remember Teddy always got on me about too many straight lines. You can see how much I improved just with this post from the previous page.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #646

On a similar topic, how do all of you feel about Templated vs Free-hand, since I know there's members of both schools present here. I know Rich is of the former, which makes Templated the more official style, I guess.

Personally, I use the free-hand posing style, since I'm just adapting them off of my figure drawing pose studies, and OOTS style is a good style for doodling poses, even if males lack torso torsion and movable hips. That does take away a bit from the stick-y-ness of it though, since I'm then unable to let go of the fleshy limbs and actual hands.

Ps: This is a pretty good guide for how to draw poses dynamically, if slightly intimidating. For OOTS style, you can just stop at the thumbnailing and stick figure studies.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oneris View Post
    On a similar topic, how do all of you feel about Templated vs Free-hand, since I know there's members of both schools present here. I know Rich is of the former, which makes Templated the more official style, I guess.

Personally, I use the free-hand posing style, since I'm just adapting them off of my figure drawing pose studies, and OOTS style is a good style for doodling poses, even if males lack torso torsion and movable hips. That does take away a bit from the stick-y-ness of it though, since I'm then unable to let go of the fleshy limbs and actual hands.

Ps: This is a pretty good guide for how to draw poses dynamically, if slightly intimidating. For OOTS style, you can just stop at the thumbnailing and stick figure studies.
    Templates are amazing for reference, for me. I still can't make warforged without references. My personal favorite is Kurien's. However, I am pro free-hand (who would've thought? A paint avatarist). It helps a lot because you begin getting confident in posing and going further by experimenting. Templates first, then work based on them to further your own advance.
    ----
    @asdflove: I praise your work on details. You're getting better at everything, really, but your true forte is all those little details you put into avvies and stick figures in general (like those trims in your capes, and laces in boots and... well, everything.)

EDIT:
    Photo of my newest endeavor: Full blown paper drawing.
    Last edited by Crimmy; 2014-06-08 at 10:14 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oneris View Post

I'm pro-templates, I would go mad trying to do all the details that Crimmy just praised if I didn't use them. They're fairly easy to work with and repose in Inkscape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimmy View Post
    @asdflove: I praise your work on details. You're getting better at everything, really, but your true forte is all those little details you put into avvies and stick figures in general (like those trims in your capes, and laces in boots and... well, everything.)

EDIT:
    Photo of my newest endeavor: Full blown paper drawing.
    Funny, it's the details I like best in your drawings.

Oh, look I redrew something from a year ago.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by asdflove View Post
    I'm pro-templates, I would go mad trying to do all the details that Crimmy just praised if I didn't use them. They're fairly easy to work with and repose in Inkscape.

Funny, it's the details I like best in your drawings.

Dem slopes... And those clouds. If anything, I'd say I don't really feel those snowflakes, but that's k because SNOWFLAKES

EDIT:
    Last edited by Crimmy; 2014-06-10 at 11:28 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #650

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by asdflove View Post
    *scissor cut!*

*Dude, get a level in cleric so you can control the weather - it's freezing out here!*
    Hey, I remember that one! I said mouse Now I know it's a chinchilla though, so it's all cool. Ha, I punned!

21. - Top - End - #651
    Pixie in the Playground

Default cigars for wedding

cigars for wedding

Hi all friends,
    I read your all information which is collected by you. I am very interesting in art. new designs with new looks i also want to made. your this post is awesome and i also want to tell my friend who is also interested in this. great job. keep updated.
    thanks
    for more information you can visit this site:

http://www.cigarchicas.com/

22. - Top - End - #652
    Pixie in the Playground

I made this for one of the characters in a campaign I'm currently running:

Multiclass Wizard/Priestess of Avandra

And now I will get back to making things for Fey Week, and reading more OotS.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ogre in the Playground

So. I've been working on getting my avatars to start looking more mobile, moving around and doing more things. Which means face designs change because the character is looking a different direction. I have tried and tried and tried but it all just looks wrong. D:

Any advice?

24. - Top - End - #654

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    So. I've been working on getting my avatars to start looking more mobile, moving around and doing more things. Which means face designs change because the character is looking a different direction. I have tried and tried and tried but it all just looks wrong. D:

Any advice?
    Draw the vertical and horizontal crossed guidelines for centering your face as you would on a realistic style portrait, and place your eyes just around the point where the horizontal and vertical lines cross. Rotate and adjust width to taste.

Edit: Here's a basic guide if you don't know what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by Oneris; 2014-06-19 at 02:04 AM.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Troll in the Playground

so fairy week is approaching
    And I have no idea what to wear for it

Ah faes, beautiful, cute, glamorous

....Well most of them anyway.

Did a Nuckelavee for fun,(I blame 'the bard game' remake for this, this song is fun) don't think I really did him justice though.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2014-06-19 at 11:48 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

26. - Top - End - #656
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    so fairy week is approaching
    And I have no idea what to wear for it

Ah faes, beautiful, cute, glamorous

*image here*

....Well most of them anyway.

Did a Nuckelavee for fun,(I blame 'the bard game' remake for this, this song is fun) don't think I really did him justice though.
    Unholy hells.. I would PAY YOU to make me an avatar if I had money!!!!
    I'm not posting art. Just fan personing.
    Last edited by AddZable; 2014-06-20 at 10:10 AM.
    This is awesome and everyone should watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCVukDiRsNs
    Not my video, and if it was, I'd be much more epic than I am.
    I tend to disappear off the internet sometimes. I apologize if I inconvenience you.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

DeviantArt told me Gulaghar's birthday is coming up (in 6 days) so I drew her dryad character (I think her name is Sakura).

It was a fun experiment trying to draw her hair as petals and a solid blob. I like how it turned out.
    Last edited by asdflove; 2014-06-20 at 07:10 PM.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, asdflove, that's really good. I am totally caught off guard! Thanks a lot.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    Wow, asdflove, that's really good. I am totally caught off guard! Thanks a lot.
    I'm glad you like it. It was fun to do and only took a little over a half an hour, so it was no problem.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I tried drawing a character facing elsewhere, from scratch. It was... interesting. I took Crimmy's advice on a few things, and hopefully it looks better than my other stuff.