Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Would you tolerate a DM who places Strength caps on female characters?

Let's say, hypothetically you enter into a game in which the DM, GM or what ever he, most likely he in this case, has a few house rules. One of them is that no female character may have more than a 16 to Strength before racial bonuses. The rationale is that in real life on human female can every reach the brute strength of men in the top 75%. Would you tolerate this house rule, or just get the hell out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!
    My fantasy/RPG blog A Voyage Into the Fantastic

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Would you tolerate a DM who places Strength caps on female characters?

that house rule is way not cool, and just the start of a whole lot of other problems. I'd say my goodbyes and leave.
    Last edited by Kol Korran; 2013-09-07 at 06:17 PM.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Would you tolerate a DM who places Strength caps on female characters?

Oh, no. That sounds terrible.
    "I kinda think I'm not supposed to go along with something that's wrong just to get food."

Spoiler: Play by Post Games
    Show
    x Through the Faerie Ring // PL + Progressing // 05/17 - Present
    x Chrono Isekai // PL + Progressing // 03/20 - Present
    x Lightning Rails and Whispers of the Vampire's Blade // DM + Completed // 05/17 - 08/18

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Get the hell out. Seriously, the only reason anybody would do this is blatant sexism. Any appeals to realism are plainly ludicrous given how poor D&D realism is, even before getting into the deliberately fantastic stuff. Not that appeals to realism for enforced gender modifiers is ever appropriate, it's just extra ludicrous in a game where you can stabilize dying people by drowning them or move an item at relativistic speeds simply by passing it along to others.

Also, why would you even ask about the scenario? It's just such an obvious no-no that it shouldn't need asking.
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2013-09-07 at 06:20 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Also unrealistic: Magic. Any character above maybe 10th level. The entire economy of D&D.

I've never understood the obsession with STR. Why not give men a CON cap since they don't routinely deal with child birth? Do males roll 2d10 instead of 3d6 for intelligence, since men have a wider bell curve on IQ? Are we giving females a +2 to Sense Motive and Bluff?

It's... pretty blatantly sexist when it only cuts one way.

6. - Top - End - #6

I was inspired by this thread at Dragonsfoot. Well, by Mjollnir's post to be more precise. Whose views I do not endorse or agree with.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

In a D&D-type game?

I'm a bad person, so my first impulse would be to play a female, go wizard, dump strength, and break the game in half.

My second impulse would be to play a female drow. (Drow women are taller and stronger than the men, IIRC.)

My third impulse would be to point out that in D&D3, Strength can go from an average on 10 to the mid-30s on a sufficiently twinked-out character. "Realism got left bleeding in the dirt a long way back."

And I guess my zeroth impulse would be to say, "Dude, what? Just....no." Normally, women may be weaker than men on the average, but there's nothing "normal" about player characters, and the female ones can go everywhere, do everything, and kill everyone the menz can.
    Last edited by Arbane; 2013-09-07 at 06:47 PM.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

If the DM had a similar cap for male characters in other areas, I am not sure I would be all that upset about it. Say, cap STR and CON at 16 for females, and INT and WIS at 16 for males. Guys are stronger, but girls are smarter. Somewhat sexist, sure, but it would add a level of strategy to choosing the gender of your character.

ALSO that would only be at character creation, if through the course of gaining levels, new abilities, stat bonuses, etc. the female reached 30 INT, so be it.
    Last edited by originalginger; 2013-09-07 at 06:46 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Depending on the circumstances, the question if there is something of a counterbalancing element, and the amount I think the GM in question is trustworthy not to be a horrible person, well, maybe. It is not a houserule that makes the GM more endearing but it is not necessarily because that is a horrible person; it could be badly understood 'realism'.
    It's not like there is no possible reasoning whatsoever why gender-based ability adjustments are necessarily bad, but they have the unfortunate tendency to follow the same tired and usually inappropriate gender stereotypes, but especially in a fantasy setting that is not necessarily so; there is no reason why, for example, female dwarves are significantly stronger and more robust than their male counterparts.
    And you could probably use the same (but generally more harmless) cliché argumentation to limit the maximum ability scores of male characters for Wisdom and Charisma to 16 as well. It's not a good houserule by any means, but it is not necessarily an expression of utter misogyny either. If it is, well I would suggest to leave the group.
    If it is more like a realism issue, well, you could argue that realism in any game that include flying, fire-breathing newts and you know MAGIC is not one of the most important issues of the game anyway, but if it s somehow important to that game or setting, there are more elegant and less dingy-looking ways to include gender-based adjustments.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

So how did his views inspire you? To see if there were people out there who might express the same kind of regressive opinions on gender roles?

And originalginger, no, just no. Gender is far too personal and important a subject to make a matter of strategy, not to mention that pretty much any rule you could come up with would just be repeating prejudice and not reflect any kind of reality. Just leave it at equality and back away from the whole issue if you want not to be sexist.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Depending on the circumstances, the question if there is something of a counterbalancing element, and the amount I think the GM in question is trustworthy not to be a horrible person, well, maybe. It is not a houserule that makes the GM more endearing but it is not necessarily because that is a horrible person; it could be badly understood 'realism'.
    It's not like there is no possible reasoning whatsoever why gender-based ability adjustments are necessarily bad, but they have the unfortunate tendency to follow the same tired and usually inappropriate gender stereotypes, but especially in a fantasy setting that is not necessarily so; there is no reason why, for example, female dwarves are significantly stronger and more robust than their male counterparts.
    And you could probably use the same (but generally more harmless) cliché argumentation to limit the maximum ability scores of male characters for Wisdom and Charisma to 16 as well. It's not a good houserule by any means, but it is not necessarily an expression of utter misogyny either. If it is, well I would suggest to leave the group.
    If it is more like a realism issue, well, you could argue that realism in any game that include flying, fire-breathing newts and you know MAGIC is not one of the most important issues of the game anyway, but if it s somehow important to that game or setting, there are more elegant and less dingy-looking ways to include gender-based adjustments.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    So how did his views inspire you? To see if there were people out there who might express the same kind of regressive opinions on gender roles?
    I wouldn't say that it inspired me in a good way. Frankly I find his house rule on female Strength moronic and abhorent. I was just wondering if anyone here could stomach playing in a game/campaign like that, or if like me they'e just walk right out the door. I was certainly hoping that.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
    I wouldn't say that it inspired me in a good way. Frankly I find his house rule on female Strength moronic and abhorent. I was just wondering if anyone here could stomach playing in a game/campaign like that, or if like me they'e just walk right out the door. I was certainly hoping that.
    Ah, okay. So basically what I guessed. And I'd personally say that if somebody doesn't walk out should such a houserule be stated it says some pretty bad things about them.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
    Let's say, hypothetically you enter into a game in which the DM, GM or what ever he, most likely he in this case, has a few house rules. One of them is that no female character may have more than a 16 to Strength before racial bonuses. The rationale is that in real life on human female can every reach the brute strength of men in the top 75%. Would you tolerate this house rule, or just get the hell out?
    I'd take that as a hint that the DM not only doesn't understand real life but also doesn't understand games and as such will have even worse boneheaded decisions and houserules just waiting to be discovered.

So it depends on whether I wanted to plumb the depths of the other person's mind, but if I did play, it wouldn't be for mutual fun, that's for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Ah, okay. So basically what I guessed. And I'd personally say that if somebody doesn't walk out should such a houserule be stated it says some pretty bad things about them.
    Am i the only one who think that such a generalizing condemnation is somewhat inappropriate?
    Don't get me wrong - i don't think that this rule is a good idea. I wouldn't use something like that in most games*, and I wouldn't recommend it either. Buuut: without knowing were the GM comes from, what is his reasoning and which purpose such a rule could have or if/how it is counterbalanced seems a bit narrow-minded to me. If there is no good reason, yes I agree, it is a stupid and offensive rule - and even then, it might make more sense to discuss this than to just walk out and assuming the worst intentions from anyone.

*:
    Spoiler
    Show
    HarnMaster, one of the games I play too rarely has a somewhat comparable effect, whereby a character's Strength is influenced by the size and stature of a character, with taller and broader characters tend to have a higher strength and a lower agility. Male humans tend to be taller and stouter than females. It is not a huge factor, but it exists, and it somewhat mitigates the fact that female characters are otherwise slightly better on average. However, HarnMaster is supposed to be more realistic games than most fantasy games and thus in context, the inclusion of sexual dimorphism actually makes sense; it also really doesn't prevent very physically strong female characters).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I don't think I would object to a game system that had slightly different rules for male and female characters. Not five minutes ago the wife commented on the American ninja warrior show she was watching, stating that she felt sexist but the women are all at a disadvantage in the show. They're weaker and shorter than the men, and with so many events being jumping and climbing based, that really hurts them. I don't think it's sexism that keeps men and women on separate sports teams past the age of puberty.

But I would object to a GM that used these rules for sexist reasons. Whenever I've seen a GM try to assert this sort of rule it's been for misogynistic reasons. So I don't think I have a problem with the simulationist aspect, but I wouldn't trust that that's all that's going on and it would definitely set off red flags.

I also wouldn't agree with the rule as a D&D mechanic. It's too extreme. A D&D halfling male starts at 25 lbs and a height of 3'4". Their max strength is 16. A human female is on average 2 feet taller and 5 times that weight. There's no way they should have the same strength penalty (well, max strength score) as a halfling. If you wanted to say that women have a -0.2 penalty to their strength, but it's just for flavor and gets rounded off for all practical purposes, that's fine. On a scale of 3-18 though, there aren't enough points to represent the difference.

Finally, D&D is about epic fantasy heroes. If someone wants to be a badass female paladin, more power to them. Why restrict that sort of thing to male characters only?
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

It's silly, sexist and ridiculous and rushing to realism is particularly silly when things like completely incoherent systems of government or economies that barely even exist don't raise an eyebrow. These are far bigger issues than sexual dimorphism and ones that don't carry inherently offensive traits, yet people who want to be "realistic" tend to ignore them in favor of sexual dimorphism or weird insistence that women didn't do anything in the past. Basically, realism isn't a defense when you don't rush to be realistic in far more central aspects and even if you do, being inclusive is more important than modeling this little wrinkle out in exacting detail. Not like other abstractions aren't inherently part of any system anyway.

So, no, I don't care what excuses or counterbalances or similar people might come up with. It's goofy sexism either way. And goofy sexism that doesn't understand how different aspects of human bodies interact at that.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

It'd certainly make me raise an eyebrow and wonder just what the heck is going on with that DM. But would it prevent me from having fun in that game? Who knows. Its more an indicator of weird DMing tendencies and an obsession with minutia and their own internal worldview than an outright 'problem' for me. I'd be concerned about what else the DM is going to do along the same line more than anything else. Moral outrage isn't really a factor for me at all, but bad gaming definitely is.

If nothing else though, there's a high probability that this guy would generate a lot of 'so yeah, I had this absolutely crazy DM...' stories.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

If by "tolerate" you mean "physically assault", then yes.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, it really depends on exactly what's going on and why.

Is the DM's intent, whether he knows it or not, implicitly sexist and driven by sexist assumptions and values? If not, I think a calm discussion about why it's a bad idea would suffice.

Of course, there's an approximately 0% chance that it isn't being driven by implicit sexism. In my (narrow, non-empirically relevant) experience, whenever someone describes women's role in medieval Europe to justify their fantasy sexism, it is always accompanied by a silent "those were the good ol' days." So I'd say realistically speaking, I'd drop the game immediately, but if the DM was genuinely not doing it for terrible reasons, I'd see if we could come to an agreement.

But I would never actually play the game with the rule in place.

You know, it's funny. I usually DM. After my last campaign, my players commented that they liked how I always did really interesting things with the notion of gender and defied a lot of gender roles. I was surprised, because I do play tabletop games for escapism to some degree, and gender roles are one of the things I seek to escape from. I never think about them much when I run games.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Xzeno View Post
    Of course, there's an approximately 0% chance that it isn't being driven by implicit sexism. In my (narrow, non-empirically relevant) experience, whenever someone describes women's role in medieval Europe to justify their fantasy sexism, it is always accompanied by a silent "those were the good ol' days." So I'd say realistically speaking, I'd drop the game immediately, but if the DM was genuinely not doing it for terrible reasons, I'd see if we could come to an agreement.
    Not to mention that the "medieval" gender roles they describe are a bastardized version of the most oppressive strains of bourgeois, Victorian culture transplanted on top of an agrarian society and not actually anything resembling medieval Europe with its female guildmasters, frequent remarriage and queens serving as regents.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

In isolation, I would probably tolerate this stupid rule, though not silently, and only if I couldn't convince them out of it. It's bad, but it's not, by itself, a deal-breaker. (And Terraoblivion, just because a rule is without merit does not a priori mean it's of enough importance to outweigh any other possible consideration.)

However, in practice, the odds of this being the only problem with the game are rather low, so I doubt I'd stay very long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

No way. That would send up all kinds of warning signs, to me.

If a player is convinced women should be weak in fantasy elf land, let them be terrible and put a low score in strength.

One of my favorite old school rpgs is called Powers & Perils. It's crazy and I love it anyway. It has actual tables where women have penalties to Strength/Intelligence and bonuses to stamina and empathy. I considered running it for a while because I'm insane, but decided if I did, I'd have to let players pick either column. It's one of those weird historical artifacts and a product of its time, but that doesn't make it cool today. (AD&D limits women to 18/50, for another example.)

-O

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

And originalginger, no, just no. Gender is far too personal and important a subject to make a matter of strategy, not to mention that pretty much any rule you could come up with would just be repeating prejudice and not reflect any kind of reality.
    I never said that I necessarily agreed with such a rule, and as a DM, I would never implement a rule that differentiated between genders, my players are allowed gay or transgendered characters if they want, and can play whatever gender they see fit . That said, in fantasy, the worlds are created by gods, and there would be nothing stopping those gods from creating the genders with massive discrepancies in their abilities, and if it has relevance to the world and is implemented with taste, I see no issue with in, at least in principal.

I have done campaigns dealing with racism, religious oppression, slavery, genocide, all kinds of things. In my current campaign, the entire Tiefling race is born into slavery, and has been from time immemorial. Halflings and Gnomes are tribal people, considered by the 'superior races' to be disgusting savages, nothing more than animals and are killed without thought in bids for their land. Dwarves will kill Elves and Eladrin on sight, as well as anyone seen traveling with them, and the Elves and Eladrin will do the same. Sensitive and personal things, difficult subject matter, and other 'taboo' subjects shouldn't be avoided, but they shouldn't be treated with disrespect either. It is all in how it is presented, and the reasons behind it.

25. - Top - End - #25

Not to mention that the "medieval" gender roles they describe are a bastardized version of the most oppressive strains of bourgeois, Victorian culture transplanted on top of an agrarian society and not actually anything resembling medieval Europe with its female guildmasters, frequent remarriage and queens serving as regents.
    Unfortunately most people still go by the wrongheaded Victorian beliefs about the medieval era than actual history. I still don't get why.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    In isolation, I would probably tolerate this stupid rule, though not silently, and only if I couldn't convince them out of it. It's bad, but it's not, by itself, a deal-breaker. (And Terraoblivion, just because a rule is without merit does not a priori mean it's of enough importance to outweigh any other possible consideration.)
    It's not just without merit. It's offensive and it is offensive to a group that happens to include me, so I don't get the privilege of just ignoring it either. Not just that, the kind of person who thinks that it's a good rule is probably the kind of person who holds other offensive views about women and I'm not going to humor, condone or implicitly support that.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

I'd be okay with "female" being a +0 LA template that provides -2 STR and +2 CHA.

And didn't 1st edition have racial and gender maximums for stats?
    Last edited by SimonMoon6; 2013-09-07 at 08:39 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Having 18 strength means you can lift 300 lbs (136 kg) over your head. In 2012 Tatiana Kashirina lifted 151 kg over her head in snatch.
    That means she needs to have 19 strength according to D&D rules.

In other words that rule is blatantly sexist and unrealistic. The DM is bad and should feel bad. Don't bother trying to reason with this individual, just leave.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMoon6 View Post
    I'd be okay with "female" being a +0 LA template that provides -2 STR and +2 CHA.

And didn't 1st edition have racial and gender maximums for stats?
    So basically, double down on the sexism?

Also, 1st being sexist/speciest doesn't excuse that in the present.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Honestly, with the prevalence of people picking humans as their race for 3.5 (which, I suppose, is have the point, as humans are usually the most common race), I've started to take a good hard look at racial bonuses (not LA adjusted races, mind you) and wondering if I could easily get away with it being purely cosmetic.

In the nature of this thread, I think it rings very true. Can you seriously say half-orcs are just uglier, stupider and stronger then other people?

Like wise, +/- 2 is a pretty hefty penalty to impose on half of the people in the game world. I can't even justify it for trying to invoke a feeling of a sexist culture, I mean, half the point then would be to prove to those people that they were wrong. You character sheet would immediately prove them right (in a meta sense).
    "Executioner" Dargh in A Very (un)Common Quest