A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Murder in Adrilanka (3.5) [IC]

Whether through private channels, a formal request by a noble, slipped notes in a tavern, or a church referral, you have found yourself here. The shack behind the Salty Wench is dirty, unclean, and smells vaguely of mildew. This is quite easily the most unsavory bar in the entire Docks District, possibly the entire city.

The man seated at the head of the table is quite uneasy and smells of cheap schnapps. He is young, with a scraggly brown beard, undescript clothes, and a slight wildness to his bright blue eyes. His library, in the Merchant District across town, was attacked the night before. Sitting in front of him on the table is an open bottle of peppermint schnapps.

Three other people, whom you have never met before, also sit at this table.

"My name is Lawrence Edbert. John wanted you to interview me before they set me up with protection, what with my having survived an attack on my library."

John is a guard, standing at attention beside the door. He isn't in uniform, but has a worn longsword at his side. He is tall and lean, middle-aged, with brown eyes and hair and a small nose. His eyes betray a hint of sadness, but he keeps himself composed.

OOC
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2013-09-09 at 01:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Murder in Adrilanka (3.5) [IC]

Doctor Yao, Unlicensed Medical Professional

I sniff the air, taking in the smell of filth and sweat, which was permeating throughout the entire room. If I focused, I could have swore that there was more than that in this dinky little shack, but I decided to focus and get back to the task at hand: interviewing.

"Thank you for coming,"
    I said, "We will need your full cooperation and concentration, if we are to set up your protection as quickly as possible." I flicked off a cockroach crawling on my leg. "So, first question: could you describe the attack for us?"
    "I kinda think I'm not supposed to go along with something that's wrong just to get food."

Spoiler: Play by Post Games
    Show
    x Through the Faerie Ring // PL + Dead // 05/17 - 12/21
    x Chrono Isekai // PL + Dead // 03/20 - 05/20
    x Lightning Rails and Whispers of the Vampire's Blade // DM + Completed // 05/17 - 08/18

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Wilril Tarmikos

A lanky young man in a green, embroidered shirt sits with perfect posture in one of the creaky, half-broken chairs at the table. The fancy stitching of his clothing, and the paleness of his skin set him apart as a foreigner to these sorts of establishments, but he doesn't seem to be at all bothered by it.

Instead, his expression is wholly full of concern for the nervous librarian Doctor Yao just addressed. He steeples his fingers, and speaks somewhat softly.

"...We are all terribly sorry for what happened, Lawrence, but with the information you can give us, we might be able to prevent others from suffering as you have...or worse. So please, tell us anything at all that you can remember."
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Heryl Gaerun

Heryl is silently relieved that his companions have taken the lead in speaking with the librarian. It's not that Heryl doesn't want to help, he just isn't the most vocal individual, and the idea of investigating a complete stranger intimidates him.

Nevertheless, Heryl doesn't wish to appear complacent around his new companions. Intently leaning forward, Heryl extracts an ink pen, ink, and a sheet of parchment from his pack; ready to take notes on the interview.

It seems Heryl's years of scribe-work would end up being useful in this investigation after all.
    You found the hidden text! Have a cookie.

Thanks to The Stoney One for the awesome avatar!

Spoiler: My homebrew!
    Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    Quasi-Elemental Genasi (Plus New Feats and a Subtype)!
    My Extended Signature!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Here we go again...

A man in a brown weather-beaten coat sits calmly at the far end opposite the subject, compressing layers of tobacco into his pipe. The bottom of his coat as well as his boots, both of which were thickly caked with mud, are surprisingly not that noticeable, considering the place they're currently in.

He opts to let the other people start with the interview and to simply listen for now. Meanwhile, he lightly grazes the lit matchstick on the pipe's surface, spreading the fire evenly in a circular motion.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

The librarian forcibly steadies himself, taking one last swig of his bottle before looking at each of the individuals seated before him. From the way he coughs on it, he is quite clearly not a frequent drinker. John speaks up.

"Actually little kobold, the Guard will be taking care of his accomodations after you are done with your interview. The Captain doesn't want his new investigators distracted."

"Well, I had come back from a meeting with Lord Darshiva that night. We were discussing some books. When I got back, I noticed that my front door was open... I never leave my front door open while I'm away; I always lock it!"

He started to get exasperated, but managed to calm himself a moment.

"Anyway, I asked if anyone was there, and no one answered. Then I stepped into the front room, which was by this time of night too dark to see. And suddenly the whole day, all of my stress, it just hit me at once and I fell asleep... When I woke up the Guards were in my house.
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2013-09-10 at 08:33 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Heryl quickly transcribes the librarian's words onto a sheet of parchment, allowing the interview to be reviewed later if need be.
    Last edited by Blueiji; 2013-09-10 at 05:54 PM.

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Wilril blinks, then furrows his brow, and leans in a little bit.

"You fell asleep...right at your front door, Lawrence? Right as you stepped into the front room? You were quite lucid immediately before, correct?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd like to know if Wilril is familiar with Lord Darshiva, or any magic that could take effect in the way that Lawrence is describing. What would be the appropriate skill for knowledge of poisons that might have that effect, that might exist in this world? Knowledge: Nature?

Knowledge: Nobility and Royalty - (1d20+11)[26]
    Knowledge: Arcana - (1d20+11)[20]

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

I nodded to John's response, satisfied. Fewer things to worry about, now; more time to concentrate on what mattered.

"Are you sure your stress put you asleep? Could it have been magical in nature? One time, these hobgoblins cast a sleeping spell on me, tied me up, and tried to roast me over a fire. Back then, it seemed like a building up of stress and exhaustion, too!" I glanced over at the scribe. "Did you write my story down? It's probably important for this investigation."

I pulled another bug off my robe. "Please continue, Lawrence."
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2013-09-10 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Typo!
    "I kinda think I'm not supposed to go along with something that's wrong just to get food."

Show
    x Lightning Rails and Whispers of the Vampire's Blade // DM + Completed // 05/17 - 08/18

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    "Did you write my story down? It's probably important for this investigation."
    Heryl smiled. Not only had he written the Kobold's amusing story down, he had also taken the liberty to illustrate said story in the corner of the parchment as well.

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Mul manages to listen attentively to the subject, and finds himself equally surprised that his coughing mannerism during interrogations had significantly been lessened since his official retirement, which is good because it distracted him immensely.

After the initial hits from the pipe, he momentarily sets it aside and begins his own probing from a different direction.

"Is charging blindly into the darkness a normal habit of ours, Mr. Edbert, or do we only do that when the door is strangely opened and someone might be inside?"
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

No, I wouldn't say charging in blindly is standard. The door hadn't been forced though, so I thought maybe Mia had come in late and forgot to close the door. I think it was stress... I was really tired from the long day, and I haven't been sleeping well what with all the attacks. I guess it might have been magic though..." He looks over to John, "Have you found Mia yet?"

"I'm afraid we haven't. There were signs of a fight though, and her family hasn't heard from her since she left for the library that day."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Wil pauses. So, whoever had entered, either had knowledge necessary for some manner of locksmithing, or had gotten lucky for their entrance...

"....What is Miss Mia's relationship to you, Lawrence? Is she an assistant? Just a fellow bibliophile? Does she often forget to close the door?"

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

"She's an employee," I explained, "and I doubt that she's the type who often leaves doors open." I glanced at John. "We seem to have holes in our knowledge, like freshly baked sponge cakes. What do you know that our client doesn't?"
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2013-09-11 at 09:32 PM.

Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"My impression is that it was just another day at work. What made that day 'extra' stressing, then?" Mul quips.

He was having difficulty buying the man's story. Was someone messing up with his mind? Is he taking some alchemical items that might cause this?
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2013-09-12 at 12:34 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

John seems taken aback at being addressed, but answers smoothly.

"Very little. All the attacks have been the same, excepting this one. Each librarian was left with a single piercing to the back of the head inside the building. The coroner says an ice-pick. The unlocked door was also the same as the other attacks."

Lawrence addresses Wilril as an aside, "Daughter of a friend. She's a good assistant."

Then he responds to Mul, "Erm. My compatriots are being killed amongst their lives' treasures, I was engaged in a business meeting with a hermitic elven Lord whom I turned down, and I'd forgotten my reading glasses. It was a very stressing day."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"Of course... I'm sorry to hear that", Mul conceded. He mentally reminds himself that each people have different tolerance capacity to stress, and the poor sap might not be just used to this sudden turn of events.

After taking a slow, gentle puff, he continues. "Anything else you know about Mia besides those? Minor troubles in the past, dealings with other people, kind of friends she has... something like that."

18. - Top - End - #18

Heryl, normally content to stay quiet, sets down his pen for a moment to speak up. Turning to John, Heryl poses a question.

"Did any of the other attacks result in a kidnapping of any kind?"

Shifting his glance, Heryl turns toward Edbert.

"The libraries of the other librarians were ransacked as part of the attack. Was your library at all affected? Is anything missing?"

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

"To my understanding, she's using the money she earns working for me to learn the arts of a bard. She's just a kid, I don't think she any shady friends or anything like that, if that's what you're asking... What have I gotten her into...?"

Lawrence shakes his head in shame and tears up a moment. John stands to attention again and speaks up.

"Lawrence hasn't seen his library since the attack, so we don't know if anything is missing from his library, but it was raided. We've been trying to get the rest of the librarians to come under the protection of the guard, but not all of them will. None of the other attacks have had a kidnapping, but all of the others were timed so that the librarian was alone in their library."

20. - Top - End - #20

I nodded. There seemed to be a hard limit on the information, so what were we waiting for? Ugh, this is just like that time back with those elves, in the mountains. They were beginning their dance festival, and I joined in, but they kept making the same moves over and over and over, and I got bored and got some zombies to attack them and was then kicked out of the mountain and...

"When do we begin the investigation?" I asked.

Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

For the moment, Wil focuses on Lawrence.

"What have you gotten her into? Lawrence, what wrong have you done? Owning a library? Allowing her to assist you? How could you know what would happen? Please, do not blame yourself."

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"We'll only go where the evidence leads us, master Edbert. If she's innocent, then good for her", assures Mul.

"Anything else, then? Perhaps any clue or ideas as to why the perpetrator left you alive?"

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Anything else, then? Perhaps any clue or ideas as to why the perpetrator left you alive?
    Heryl readied his pen, preparing to write down any last snippet of information John or Lawrence could supply.

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

John speaks up once again. As he does so, Lawrence takes a large swig of the schnapps.

"I suspect it was due to the timing, the guards were already on their way by the time Lawrence was there. We arrived just a minute afterwards, by the account of the lady who runs the shop across the street."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Wil sighs, and turns his attention to John. Any further questioning of Lawrence would be unlikely to grant any new information, and so, would simply be unkind.

"Has the library been disturbed, since the guards' arrival, then? If you nearly intercepted the culprit, they may not have been able to cover their tracks as readily. Would it be possible for us to take a look at the scene?"
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2013-09-17 at 07:10 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

"Of course. I don't know if they've been looking it over or not. I was detailed with organizing you four, and the arrangements for Lawrence. If you'd like, we can do that right now."

OOC:
    I'd like confirmation that all four of you are done, and are ready to move on to the next scene before continuing.

27. - Top - End - #27

I nodded eagerly. This interview had been getting dull, anyway. "The faster, the better," I declared, "I'm getting tempted to sic some zombies on this place if we don't leave soon..."

Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

John turns to the Doctor Yao, his manner quite grave and serious.

"Master Kobold, where you are from, raising the dead may be acceptable, I don't know. Here however, it is quite culpable."

The guard gathers everyone and heads to the docks, there he hands Lawrence over to a pair of guards in uniform. They salute him as one would to a superior, and take Lawrence away. Then John leads the group to the Merchant District, specifically Copper Road, and to Lawrence's library. The door is unlocked, and the building is quiet and dark.

29. - Top - End - #29

I huffed, annoyed that John was unable to recognise a joke. Were we suppose to be melancholy at all times? Did I take that crash course for humour and jesting during investigations and other grave events for nothing? Still, I bit my tongue and stayed silent, observing the environment as we walked to Lawrence's library.

Finally, we arrived, and I eyed the inside of the library, seeing inside with my acute vision. "Who wants to go first?" I asked.

Mechanical Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+1)[8]
    Spellcraft: (1d20+10)[29]
    Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering): (1d20+5)[19]
    Knowledge (Arcana): (1d20+5)[9]

Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Wilril shrugs, as he draws out an everburning torch from his travel pack, still aflame, and holsters it in a few leather loops on the side of his pack, high enough to illuminate well any area near him, before drawing an engraved claymore from its sheath on his back.

"I've found, through a few unfortunate encounters, that I have a surprising aptitude for surviving assassination attempts.

I could not say why, exactly. My martial arts teacher has been thorough, but he always claimed that reflex could not be completely taught. I suppose it must be the old warrior blood shining through, or some such."

With that, he calmly strides toward the beckoning dark...

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (1d20-1)[16]
    Listen - (1d20-1)[18]

Spoiler
    Show