New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Murder in Adrilanka (3.5) [IC]

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    "Oh! Ask Chipper about that, then, Rat. Didn't you get a good sniff at him before? Maybe he shielded his scent or something..."
    "I got a good sniff at the lizardfolk just now, but I couldn't tell you if it matches with the scent of the one that hired Chipper, Doctor," says Rat. "I believe Chipper, um, strained the limits of his vocabulary when he described the scent to me as 'kind of lizardy and cold.'"

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Saw him trying to swallow something. I've no idea what, but I won't be surprised if it's poison.
    "I don't know much about the gag reflexes of lizards," Rat says. "But in my experience, a finger down the throat is usually enough to bring something back up if it was just swallowed. Might be easier than dissecting him, in case Lord Sillan wants to interrogate him later. I, um, I am wearing gloves, if you find the process too distasteful."
    Last edited by Piggy Knowles; 2014-06-16 at 06:52 PM.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Mul thinks about Rat's suggestion, but ultimately decides against doing it himself. "There's probably a good reason why they're called Poisondusk Lizards. Suffice to say, we've encountered multiple cases of poisoning in our investigation...

Though I can offer assistance in restraining him, if you want to do it.
    "
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Whatever the party decides, the Lizardfolk faints.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh, damn it," Rat says, and he hurries forward. He pries the lizardfolk's jaws open and sticks a finger down the unconscious creature's throat, trying to find its gag reflex. When that doesn't have immediate results, he grabs the creature by the shoulders, shaking him, then lifts a scaly eyelid and peers into it.

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Heal
    Show
    'Doctor Rat's' diagnosis:
    Erm... That's not good...

Not only can Rat Korga not seem to find the gag reflex of the alien creature, but his shaking doesn't do anything either. It seems likely that whatever poison this creature voluntarily took is going to run it's course unless he can get better care.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Troll in the Playground

"Damn," says Rat. He looks around helplessly. "Oh, damn, damn, damn. Um, Doctor? I think I broke him." He holds up the now mostly limp body of the lizardfolk.

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

Doctor Yao, Private Medical Consultant

I poked the body, but when the Poisondusk failed to stir, I sighed. "Mulberry's probably right," I said, "I think it's a poison of some sort. I have some antitoxin, but if he won't resist, there's no point. My professional opinion would be to just let him be for now. If he isn't available for interviewing, we have other pressing concerns."

I laid down all the facts I could recall. "There's a cold lizard food poisoner, as well as someone who wants us - and perhaps others - dead and is willing to threaten guests to do it for them; the two might be related. The only people we know who could tell us anything about this is either unconscious or dead. The place is on lock-down, so in theory, no one should be able to enter or leave this place."

I motioned for Chipper to shut the kitchen door, then unravelled the plan I was messaging about a few moments ago.

Codename: Operation CANDY

Targets:
    1. The dead lizardfolk, who we didn't loot yet.
    2. The current loot, which merits additional testing.
    3. The secret pathway, where the lizardfolk managed to drag us through into the kitchen.
    4. Our seats, where two of us suddenly disappeared.
    5. The lizardfolk chief, who may or may not know about this operation.
    6. The other guests, who may have been similarly threatened.
    7. Lord Darshiva, who's suffering from an insufficiently explained absence.

Agents:
    1. Rat Korga - Codename Charles.
    2. Mulberry Voltaire - Codename Ferdinand.
    3. Tarrick Moerth - Codename Louis.
    4. Doctor Yao - Codename Joanna.
    5. Chipper the Chap - Codename Amadeus.
    6. Random Guard - Codename Phillip.

Plan:
    1. Agent Ferdinand will search the bodies of the dead lizardfolk, and gather all the loot with the Poisondusk's loot (Target 1).
    2. Agent Louis will magically analyse the items, figure out the spell schools, and make guesses about what the items do. All agents will split the items up in a manner to be determined (Target 2).
    3. Agents will separate up for their respective duties, using the Candy Code if needed:
      — Agents Ferdinand and Amadeus will search for the hidden tunnel (Target 3). Upon failure, both agents will search at the tables (Target 4).
      — Agent Charles will seek an explanation with the lizardfolk chief (Target 5). If complete before Target 6, will assist with agent Louis.
      — Agent Louis will investigate the other guests, to see if some have been similarly threatened (Target 6). If complete before Target 5, will assist agent Charles.
      — Agents Phillip and Joanna will seek Lord Darshiva, in a non-disruptive way (Target 7).
    4. Unless called, all agents will report to the kitchen when their task is completed, to share notes and inquire further.

Candy Code:

Note: agents Charles, Ferdinand, Louis, and Joanna will communicate on the Yao Communications Line until the spell is evaporated, and then switch to the Candy Code. When communicating to agents Amadeus and Phillip, will use the Candy Code. When agents Amadeus and Phillip need to communicate, will use the Candy Code. The Candy Code may need to be shouted to be heard. The creator of the Candy Code is not responsible for any injuries or deaths resulting from the Candy Code. If the Candy Code does not seem to work, please contact your local Doctor.

• I really like ice cream, especially with [target number] cherries on top! - I am finished with this target, and am now returning to the kitchen.
    • I really like ice cream, but not with [target number] cherries on top! - I am still in the process of completing this target.
    • I really hate ice cream, even with [target number] cherries on top! - I need assistance. Please come if you are done with your target.
    • This ice cream is far too cold, and with [target number] cherries on top! - Emergency. All agents report to the location of the target.
    • Cold, cold, cold! - Severe emergency or sudden situational change. All agents group up in kitchen for increased survival chance or information distribution.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"You didn't. **** happens", Mul mumbles grimly to Rat. Mul then attempts his own "diagnosis", including checking vital signs like pulse or breathing. He carefully picks up the piece of clothing and also examines it.

"Perhaps some poison touched this gag. ID?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it's possible, I guess it will be a hidden Heal check or something, probably splashed with a hidden Knowledge check to see if he knows whether checking for pulse or breathing in a lizardfolk will help at all.

For poison ID: I'm guessing a hidden Knowledge(Nature), Heal, or Craft(Poisonmaking) check, if it's possible at all.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

Knowledge: Nature
    Mulberry recognizes the poison's effects as those of Dark Reaver Power. In about a minute, the lizardfolk will probably die from Constitution damage.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Mul interjects in the discussion and hands out the cloth, "Check this out. Residues of pulverized reaver bones. Very lethal... and cheap."

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Doctor Yao, Unlicensed Medical Professional

I glance at the cloth, then look back at the Poisondusk. "Not good, agent Ferdinand. We'll have to make sure he stays alive." I grab a vial of antitoxin, crack it open like an egg, and proceed to pour its contents down his throat. "This probably won't do much, since he's been so damaged by the poison already, so we'll need to make sure he survives."

"You know, I worked at a hobgoblin clinic once, and the most valuable lesson learned there was to have as many medics working on a patient as possible. You're all honorary medics today. Agent Ferdinand, you're our head doctor today. Agents Charles, Louis, Amadeus, and I will be your assistants. Agent Phillip, go run out and see if you have a healer's kit or anything that could be of use."

"Well, agent Ferdinand? What's first?"

12. - Top - End - #402
    Troll in the Playground

Rat Korga's strange blue eyes widen. "Assist?" He shakes his head. "You saw what happened when I tried to assist earlier, Doctor. I'm, um, I'm not very good at this sort of thing."
    Last edited by Piggy Knowles; 2014-06-26 at 09:58 PM.

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

"Nonsense!" I said, waving my arms around dramatically and accidentally punching the Poisondusk in the face, "Absolute nonsense. Agent Ferdinand is trained in the art of healing. I'm certain he'll direct even the most inexperienced of us excellently." I ready my fists and thump them against the Poisondusk's chest. "Clear!"

14. - Top - End - #404
    Troll in the Playground

"And you... aren't trained?" Rat Korga shakes his head. "Exactly what kind of Doctor are you?"

He leans forward, ready to assist in any way possible.

Spoiler: Heal check for aiding another
    Show
    (1d20)[16]

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Mul was perplexed with doctor Yao's assumption. For all intents and purposes, he was going by sheer intuition.

He tried to direct the rest on what seemed to be the most intuitive thing to do, such as checking if the poisondusk is still breathing, or if it has a pulse, or if it is having some particular swellings, discolorations, or inflammations in the body.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If Mul can take 20, he'll do that instead (for a 22). If not,
    Heal: (1d20+2)[11]

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

"A really great doctor!" I shouted as I jumped up and down on the Poisondusk's stomach, "I'm just not trained." I shrugged. "It's just one little thing; I'm the perfect doctor otherwise."

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

After what seems like several hours of frantic attempts to keep the lizardfolk from dying, the poison eventually overtakes it's digestive system, having eaten away at his own insides.

After a long, solemn moment, Chipper turns to the group.

"So, on with the plan now?"

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

[...]

[To be filled out when the other players respond.]

19. - Top - End - #409
    Troll in the Playground

"Um, right," says Rat, shifting uncomfortably. "The plan." The brief calmness that came over him when he fought has disappeared entirely, and he seems to remember suddenly that he is still at a ball - something that seems far more harrowing than being in the midst of a battle. "I still need to find, um, ice cream with five cherries? Sorry, I'm not very good at this cloak and dagger stuff. I'll go check to see if that... ice cream sundae... I left back in the main hall is still at the table." He looks around helplessly, then peers out of the kitchen to see how the table full of lizardfolk is doing.
    Last edited by Piggy Knowles; 2014-07-09 at 08:51 AM.

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

Operation Candy

Rat Korga finds that the lizardfolk chief did not know anything about the matter. The poisondusk was a mercenary wizard that he had hired after having his life threatened via a Sending.

Mulberry and Tarrick gather all of the loot, but other than what has been mentioned earlier, discover no additional items, and without actual spell capability, can not Identify the items on hand.

Spoiler: Loot
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlier
    The wizard carries a spell component pouch and the wand from earlier. There are no obvious markings or distinguishing notes or the like. His gloves have some exquisite embroidery on the insides, which Mul recognizes as arcane writings.

The lizardfolk carries a belt pouch with three vials of unidentified liquid, a quiver with several different types of arrows, a longbow, and has finely stitched leather boots. In the quiver, you notice that several of the arrows heads are not made of steel, but of crystal. These crystals glow faintly with light.

The potions (Two Cure Light Wounds, One Lesser Restoration) both radiate Faint Conjuration magic, in keeping with how they've been identified.

The arrows radiate an aura of Moderate Divination.

The gloves and gloves both radiate auras of Faint Transmutation.

Chipper clarifies that the poisondusk is not the smell referred to earlier, but does note that the smell can be faintly found in the kitchen. Tarrick points out that he's pretty sure there wasn't a secret tunnel, but rather that himself and Yao were probably transported via Baleful Transposition.

None of the other guests seem to have been similarly threatened, and the guards seem perplexed that this happened to begin with.

One of the guards mention that Lord Darshiva left, and that he said that his spell would persist through the night without further manipulation from him. Should he be required to dismiss it, he left a scroll of Sending for someone to get in contact with him.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

Rat Korga reports his findings to the others, then looks back and forth, his eyes scanning the incongruities of a kitchen turned battlefield.

"So what exactly is going on here, anyways?" he asks. "Why would these men attack a ball? And why did they target you?"

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't know, but that's what my comrades and I are here for, right?" I give him a grin. "We're the detectives."

I grab the potions and toss them to Rat for safekeeping, hand the longbow and arrowed-filled quiver for Mulberry, and place the spare spell component pouch in my bag. Then I punt the boots and gloves over to Rat as well. "Test them; see what kind of magical effect they have on you." I take the wand and gesture toward my face. "I'll test this thing."

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    If needed, Doctor Yao will make a Use Magic Device check: (1d20+9)[24]

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

The gloves are too small for Rat's crooked hands. The boots, upon being placed upon his feet, make him stumble, but then his balance seems impeccable after that, even when he gets ready to jump.

The wand doesn't do anything, but Yao remembers that the wand summoned undead creatures, as Summon Undead I.
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2014-07-21 at 04:23 PM.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Titan in the Playground

Doctor Yao, Exterior Plastic Surgeon

After studying the undead-creating wand, I hand it over to Tarrick. Perhaps he could use it to observe the anatomy of the dead or something. I take from Rat the gloves, and try them on, feeling its effects. The morbidity of our actions does not escape me, but I stomach it regardless. Memories of the Pasta Incident arose.

After the busywork of splitting the trinkets, I ask Chipper if he could attempt to find the location of the scent. Meanwhile, I converse with the rest of the party on the data we have gathered. I explain the potency of the sending spell in relation to my message cantrip. The party is treated to spontaneous, explanatory gestures about the likely power or wealth of those behind it. I comment on Lord Darshiva's wealth and status, as well as his spellcasting ability, and the correlation between the events happening and Lord Darshiva's appearances and disappearances. I also warn that he may very well be a red herring.

I then ask for everyone else's opinions.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

As Yao puts the gloves on, his fingers feel like they become more supple, and more able to accomplish the intense hand gestures required for casting.

Chipper looks around and starts sniffing. He doesn't seem to be getting anywhere though.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Troll in the Playground

Rat seems dubious about testing the magical trinkets handed to him, but he dutifully tries each item on in turn, with the exception of the gloves. His hands are so gnarled and twisted that they look like old tree roots, and the gloves barely come down past his knuckles.

"I don't know, but that's what my comrades and I are here for, right?" I give him a grin. "We're the detectives."
    "You're... detectives?" he asks. "What are you trying to detect?"

Doctor Yao, Exterior Plastic Surgeon

Meanwhile, I converse with the rest of the party on the data we have gathered. I explain the potency of the sending spell in relation to my message cantrip. The party is treated to spontaneous, explanatory gestures about the likely power or wealth of those behind it. I comment on Lord Darshiva's wealth and status, as well as his spellcasting ability, and the correlation between the events happening and Lord Darshiva's appearances and disappearances. I also warn that he may very well be a red herring.
    "I've never met Lord Darshiva," says Rat. "If Chipper hadn't been trying to kill him, I probably wouldn't have ever paid any attention to the name. Appearances and disappearances like this are common for him, then?"

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

Doctor Yao, Highly Regarded Private Investigator

"A murderer. They've been killing librarians, recently."

"And Lord Darshiva is just a rich man who invited us here to search for clues, and who's mysteriously missing. Tarrick knows more; he was directly hired by Darshiva."

"Anyway, maybe the culprit behind all this was that lizardfolk with the runestaff. Do you recall anyone like that, Chipper?"

28. - Top - End - #418
    Troll in the Playground

"Murdering... librarians?" Rat Korga seems confused. "Why would anyone want to murder librarians?"

He looks around at the devastated kitchen. "I should probably finish my guard post," he says. "I believe the ball is nearly over, though. I, um, would be interested to meet Lord Darshiva when all is said and done."

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

Chipper nods in the negative, but mentions that that lizardfolk had no smell to them at all.

Tarrick mentions that Lord Darshiva mentioned that he was engaged in spell research. Yao and Tarrick know this to be a very exhausting task, and it makes sense that Lord Darshiva would retreat to his home at his earliest convenience.