New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Murder in Adrilanka (3.5) [IC]

Heryl eyes the unlocked door hesitantly, and watches as Wilril steps through it fearlessly.

Heryl sighs. That's the sort of boldness the church elders said I lacked. That's the sort of courage I need if I'm ever to become a Paladin.

Adjusting his cloak and swallowing his apprehension, Heryl scurries after Wilril.

Having caught up with the warrior, Heryl asks Wilril a question. "Lord Tarmikos, might it be wiser if I carry that torch? Surely you need both hands to wield your blade."
    You found the hidden text! Have a cookie.

Thanks to The Stoney One for the awesome avatar!

Spoiler: My homebrew!
    Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    Quasi-Elemental Genasi (Plus New Feats and a Subtype)!
    My Extended Signature!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Wilril smiles cheerfully.

"Wil is fine. And yes; that's why I took the step of making a holster for the torch in my pack.

Still, it certainly would be better if there were someone holding it, and pointing it toward anything of particular concern. If you would handle that, Heryl, I'd appreciate it."

Wilril shifts a bit, to allow the slightly shorter man easy access to the everburning torch.
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2013-09-22 at 08:59 PM.
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Doctor Yao, Unlicensed Medical Professional

Seeing that the was no immediate danger, I walk in and look around. Unlike the humans, I could see just fine in the dark, and did not need a torch. That certainly came in handy the time those flying cats attacked...

"You two know each other," I noted, "but I don't. Don't mind if I introduce myself, then: I'm Doctor Yao. You may have seen me around town, writing people prescriptions to local apothecaries."

I take out my whip, just in case. "So," I chirped, "who are you?"

Mechanical Rolls:

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+1)[19]
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2013-09-22 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Wrong Colour.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

The interior of the library is a shambles. There are overturned bookshelves, piles of books simply strewn about the place with no rhyme or reason.

After a cursory glance around the first room, Yao realizes that there should be another room to this floor of the building, somewhere along the back wall.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

It is situations like this that Mul likes the least—he couldn't risk even the slightest chance of messing up and tampering with potential evidences... by virtue of the vice

"I wouldn't have known. I go out of way to avoid apothecaries.", Mul replies to the kobold as he eyes for anything that could give him a clue.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot:(1d20+7)[11]
    Knowledge(Local):(1d20+7)[17] (just in case there is or was something peculiar about the library)
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

I chuckle. Apothecaries did have a certain reputation, after all. "They're not that bad," I said, "Many of them offer me discounts. I just don't have the heart to tell them I prefer my medicine to be tasteless and papery." I was referring to scrolls, of course, which were much more convenient to carry around. Potions were bulkier, more expensive, and left bitter after-tastes in one's mouth...

...Just like this room. There was feeling of something wrong, something missing. "I used to teach an architecture class," I began, "And we used the blueprint of this room as an example. I admit that I have forgotten some aspects of it, but I clearly remember a room linked to this one" - here I point to the back wall - "from over there. It's either obscured from view via physical barrier, or magical illusion. If we search that area, we should be able to find something..."

"...Unlike that ridiculous half-blind woman, who couldn't find hay in a haystack. If you ever meet someone by the name of Pony Root, remind her that I almost lost that team scavenger hunt because of her!"
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2013-09-23 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Wrong Colour.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Mul doesn't recall anything about this building as being particularly strange.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Wilril smiles a bit at Doctor Yao.

"That certainly seems a sensible course of action. And I do apologize, if I failed to introduce myself; I sometimes forget such matters. My name is Wilril Tarmikos. My family owns a few lands around the city, and I have a few monographs on the particulars of the Battle of Bartleby Hill that have gained some measure of acceptance.

In this particular matter, however, it matters a bit more that I have some skill with a blade. So, with that in mind, I shall go as our vanguard to the area that you suggest..."

With that, he begins walking toward the area where there should be another room.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    "I used to teach an architecture class," I began, "And we used the blueprint of this room as an example. I admit that I have forgotten some aspects of it, but I clearly remember a room linked to this one" - here I point to the back wall - "from over there. It's either obscured from view via physical barrier, or magical illusion. If we search that area, we should be able to find something..."
    Heryl nods, deeply impressed by Dr. Yao's architectural knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sucrose View Post
    In this particular matter, however, it matters a bit more that I have some skill with a blade. So, with that in mind, I shall go as our vanguard to the area that you suggest..."

With that, he begins walking toward the area where there should be another room.
    Heryl begins slowly following Wilril, making sure to tread carefully and scan the area for any potential clues or danger.

Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show
    (1d20+10)[23]

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"Bitter ointments are understandable. Dictating others what to do with their own bodies? Not so much. Now let's see if I could catch something here..." Mul peers closely, checking even the corners and edges of the wall.

Spoiler: SEARCH
    Show
    (1d20+8)[16]
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Mul searches the wall with a practiced air, searching for some manner of mechanism or foil that might obscure the other side. About halfway through the search, he manages to find a piece of panel that slides up and to the left, revealing a small room that covers about half of the 'missing' area.

This inside room has shelves on three of the four walls: the ones across from you, to your left, and the wall you just entered through. On the righthand wall is another sliding panel, apparently meant to be obvious from this side. The shelves are empty, whether recently or last night is not evident. In the center of the room is a small lockbox.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Success! My intuition proved correct, unlike my Bingo nights, and the pipe-wielding detective seemed adept at finding things. This investigation is going great. It was certainly strange, though - if the shelves were emptied, why was the locked box still there? Perhaps it was not of interest to the thieves; perhaps they couldn't get it open; perhaps the items inside were already taken. I search my memory, trying to remember if this interior room had any peculiarities of note.

"What do you make of this room?" I asked.

Spoiler: Skill Checks.
    Show
    Knowledge (Architecture And Engineering): (1d20+5)[12]
    Perception: (1d20+1)[19]

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    "What do you make of this room?" I asked.
    "I suspect that the criminals didn't know of this room's existence. After all, they may not have had access to the same architectural knowledge you have at your disposal."

Heryl steps into the room, moving cautiously, not wishing to disturb any evidence.

Approaching the center of the room, Heryl eyes the small lockbox. However, before making any attempts at opening the container, Heryl asks the opinion of his companions. "Would anyone object if I was to open this? Should we search the rest of the building first?"

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Wilril blinks.

"...Hm. If those who broke in didn't know about this room, then would it not be better to respect Mr. Lawrence's privacy? I suppose it could have been left as a calling card, of sorts, but unless we can tell that this room was entered before us, or we gain some reason to suspect poor Lawrence, I don't see the need..."
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2013-10-03 at 05:55 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"On the contrary, unless we can tell that this room wasn't entered, we do need to check it out."

Mul starts carefully scanning the room, looking for subtle evidences that may be left behind by anyone who previously entered, while keeping watch of his own movements so as not to tamper with the scene.

"The librarian never cautioned us against going inside particular places in his library, and he did know we're going to conduct an investigation. I'd say go ahead with the lockbox", he casually mentions while searching the shelves.

Spoiler: Search and Perception
    Show
    Search:(1d20+8)[19]
    Perception:(1d20+7)[27]

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

I nodded, agreeing with the detective. "Do be careful, though," I warned, "Safes can contain traps and other dangers. I learned that the hard way." I shook my head at the memory, remembering the poisoned darts that flew from the locked box. It was the last time I ever purchased one of Sarah's 'super-fun surprise safes.'

Right, the investigation. Stretching my neck, I glanced up at the ceiling, perhaps desperate to find something misplaced or odd.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

The lockbox is, of course, locked.

As Mul is looking at the shelves, he comes to a conclusion. All of the shelves have dust on them, but one row of shelves has dust patterned as if there were, until recently, books upon them.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"Well, won't you look at this?" Mul dryly announces as he notices the peculiarity at one of the shelves. "The books from this row have been either recently missing or just plain invisible and intangible."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Wilril furrows his brow.

"A clue, then. Perhaps Mr. Lawrence can tell us, when we next speak with him, what books would have been taken."

He remains in place, a bit concerned that he might disturb a second clue.

"It seems that my thoughts were ill-founded. Heryl, if you are concerned about my disagreement, please feel free to disregard it."

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

John enters the library, and comes to the room where you are all standing.

"Have you found anything? I thought it might be prudent to see if the neighbours had heard or seen anything and might be willing to talk. There's an herbalist, Angela, that said she would speak to you."

21. - Top - End - #51

Heryl turns to John, listening to the man's suggestion concerning the herbalist.

Nodding slightly, Heryl leaves the task of responding to his companions, and turns his own attention to the lockbox.

Heryl begins to work, attempting to open the mysterious container. It was during tasks such as these that Heryl felt at peace with the world. He may not have the strength or courage to be a Paladin, but Heryl sure could crack a lock. Yet, it's my skill in larcenous fields such as these that make it doubtful I'll ever get to be a Paladin. My defining usefulness to St. Cuthbert seems to also be one of the reasons I'll never be seen as fit to champion the Saint's cause.

Chuckling to himself, Heryl ignores the irony of his situation. Instead choosing to focus on the work at hand.

Spoiler: Skill Checks
    Show
    First, a search check to see if there's anything particularly telling or relevant Heryl can find on the box's exterior. Search: (1d20+6)[13]

And second, a mechanics check to open the lockbox. Mechanics: (1d20+9)[10]

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Angela? That name seems familiar...

Oh, right! She was one of my patients, once. I nod at John. "When will she? If right now, I'm really not doing anything."
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2013-10-05 at 11:48 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

"She said she'd be willing to speak with you now. Seemed almost insistent on it actually come to think of it."

24. - Top - End - #54

Heryl makes another attempt at opening the lockbox, hoping that he can finish before the group sets off to speak with Angela.

Spoiler: Mechanics Check
    Show
    Heryl is taking a 20 this time around. Since a normal open lock check takes a full-round action (six seconds), this will take about 2 minutes.

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Wilril nods, sheathing his sword, for the moment.

"....Well, it certainly would be impolite to keep the lady waiting. Heryl, can we take the lockbox with us?"

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

What was he talking about? Our work certainly wasn't over.

"We still have to search the rest of the building," I reminded him, "We've only seen two rooms, and we don't need everyone to hear her speak."

I start walking out, toward where I presumed Angela would be. "Come along. We'll leave the more competent detectives to search."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Wil nods.

"...Yes, if there's no danger, here, then, in truth, I would likely only get in the way. If we find out what books are missing, I may know the significance, but...well, in any case, feel free to keep the torch for the moment, Heryl."

With that, he follows after Doctor Yao.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58

Heryl thanks Wilril for the torch and watches as the pair depart.

Remaining in the room with Mulberry, Heryl continues his second attempt at opening the lockbox.

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Doctor Yao and Lord Tarnikos

John leads the two of you outside of the library and takes you to the shop immediately next door, an apothecary owned by the eclectic Angela.

Stepping into the cramped little shop, the first thing you notice is the exotic array of smells and smokes. There are too many scents to follow them all to where they go, and the many cauldrons, decanters, drying racks, and baskets of liquids and herbs have a low-lying smoke that overhangs everything.

Angela calls out from the backroom, "Yes yes, come on back."

The backroom is even more cramped, with all sorts of clutter on the shelves and a large pot over the fire in the center of this room. You feel a draft from somewhere, and the smoke does seem to be going with it, but you can't see where it's leaving this room.

Angela herself is an older woman, probably in her late 40s. Her hair is starting to thin, and her face to wrinkle, but she seems to hold on to some latent charm.

"You wished to speak to me?"

Heryl and Mullberry

Heryl fiddles with the lock and his picks for a brief time after the others left, and finally manages to open the lock (Take 20 was a success). However, Heryl's tampering seems to have set off some interior mechanism. As he opens the lid to the lockbox, a chittering, skittering creature as big as a very large dog materializes into the air in front of him. It has 8 legs, a pair of wicked looking claws and a tail that curls back into a wicked sting. It's chitin is a dark, light-absorbing shade of red and the creature clicks as it bears down on Heryl.

Attacks
    Spoiler
    Show

vs Heryl's flatfooted AC
    Claw (1d20+2)[14]
    Crit Confirm (1d20+2)[3]
    Damage (1d4+3)[4]
    If attack hits, Improved Grab activates
    Grapple (1d20+2)[16]

Initiative
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[22] Heryl
    (1d20+3)[7] Mul
    (1d20)[20] Scorpion
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2013-10-12 at 02:00 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

As I enter the shop, I gag, barely able to stop myself from vomiting. For someone of Wilril's stature, the scents and smoke would be little more than a nuisance. Unfortunately, I took the blunt of the force; the smoke and smells were surrounding me, threatening my nose and my eyes. This was almost as bad as the Ogre Incident!

Luckily, the back room offered some relief; I hopped onto one of the less cluttered shelves and addressed my former patient...

...About her memory problems. "No, you wished to speak with us," I corrected, "John said you were rather insistent on that matter, just a few minutes ago." I give her a sympathetic look. "Have you been taking your medication? I can write you up a prescription for them, again."