New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Murder in Adrilanka (3.5) [IC]

Heryl staggers back, completely surprised by the materializing of the monstrous creature.

Failing to deflect the creature's blow, Heryl finds himself scraped by one of the insectile monsters's jagged claws, which rips open the cleric's flesh and draws blood.

Latching on with its claw, the skittering creature begins attempting to grapple Heryl in its strong grasp.

Spoiler: Opposed Grapple Check
    Show
    (1d20-1)[0]

I'm assuming, based on the description of the monster, that it's of small size. If this is true, add an extra +4 to the grapple check above, to compensate Heryl's bonus for having a larger size.
    You found the hidden text! Have a cookie.

Thanks to The Stoney One for the awesome avatar!

Spoiler: My homebrew!
    Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    Quasi-Elemental Genasi (Plus New Feats and a Subtype)!
    My Extended Signature!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Wilril coughs politely. He stands at what should be an awkward angle, legs straddling some of the bric-a-brac scattered across the back room, but somehow, here, as in the seedy tavern, he seems to make himself at home relatively easily. He smiles genially and chimes in,

"Regardless of who is calling on who, whatever you can tell us, particularly anything urgent, would be greatly appreciated, Miss Angela. We very much want to get to the bottom of what happened to poor Lawrence."
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC: Heryl
    Spoiler
    Show
    The scorpion is medium size actually, and it is now Heryl's initiative. The scorpion has established a hold, and is now grappling with you.

Angela's Shop

"I'm afraid your mistaken Master Kobold, I've never met you before."

She pulls herself up and confidently meets Wilril's eyes.

"Yes, Lord Tarnikos. I wished to speak with you about poor Lawrence. His library was ransacked last night to my understanding, and last night. Well, last night there were sounds in the library. Sounds of stacks crashing. I heard them in my sleep, and dreamed of them, as is sometimes my wont. This morning, I consulted the bones, and they spoke of terrible tidings. Concerning you, my Lord Tarnikos.

4. - Top - End - #64

Heryl, finding himself grappled by the monstrous creature, attempts to slip out of its grasp.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action: Escape Artist check to get out of the scorpion's grasp. (1d20+1)[16]

Move Action: Move as far away from the scorpion, up to a maximum of 30 feet.

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Wilril's eyebrows raise, and he blinks in surprise.

"Oh, dear. I would hope that those tidings concern times after this investigation; I will be far too busy to deal with ill fortune until this matter has been settled. ....Such is unlikely, though; I presume that this is the urgent matter you wanted to let us know of, Miss Angela?"

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

"Not precisely milord. I remember waking up to a series of sentences, and the urge to impart them to you.

On the eve of the finding, you shall dance with the enemy
    Truth lies in steel, deception can be found aplenty
    The visage of your safety shall be thine enemies greatest foe."

Heryl and Mul
    Heryl
    Spoiler
    Show
    opposed grapple check (1d20+2)[7]

It is currently Mul's initiative.
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2013-10-16 at 11:46 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

As his companion struggles to break free, Mul takes the opportunity to draw his weapon and place himself in an advantageous position. He then places a carefully aimed shot.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move: 10ft in any direction to be nearer the exit, but still close enough to be within 30 ft of the fiendish scorpion; also, Draw the bow as part of movement
    Standard: attack the monster
    Attack: (1d20+9)[14]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[6] + (1d6)[4] (skirmish)
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Doctor Yao, Unlicensed Medical Professional

I sigh sadly. It was true; she was losing her memory. I quickly scribble out a quick prescription and place it on her table for later use, silently listening to her speak of her dream. Unfortunately, a perfect story popped into my mind as she spoke, and it took all my willpower to resist blurting it out. Finally, I couldn't take it any more.

"I had a vision once, too! I was a famous peach farmer and grew giant peaches, but when I woke up, I could not grow any. The High Elves all laughed at me."
    Calming down, I took a quick whiff of a potion next to me. "The moral is, don't be so quick to trust things like that."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Mul and Heryl

Mul pulls his bow out with a practiced ease and he steps into the moment to place a shot into the scorpion. His arrow strikes into the heart of the creature, and it skitters angrily, staggered by his blow

OOC
    It is Heryl's initiative

Yao and Wilril

Angela sighs.

"Should milord wish it, I can consult the bones in front of him.
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2013-10-17 at 10:23 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70

Having put some distance between himself and the insectile creature, Heryl draws his crossbow and loads it, hoping to assist Mulberry in combating the beast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action: Converted into move action to draw crossbow.

Move Action: Used to load crossbow.

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Wilril shakes his head.

"Quite unnecessary, Miss Angela. I shall remember the words, and see if I can glean anything when the time comes. The idea that the culprit would seek to silence us when we get close seems natural enough, and deception being aplenty is likewise probable. Though my father always claims that there is a riddle inherent in steel....but I digress.

'The visage of your safety shall be thine enemy's greatest foe' ....I am unsure of the meaning of that. I shall bear it in mind, and seek to figure it out myself, if you have no further clarity on that point to impart."

He glances at Doctor Yao, and adds, diplomatically,

"Given that divination is a known branch of magic, and prophecy a reported natural occurrence thereof, I could do little less when a soothsayer tells me that her dream had meaning beyond the typical, no?"
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2013-10-20 at 09:23 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

The scorpion quickly skitters towards Heryl, angry, but undaunted in its attempts to take the cleric. As it reaches the high point of its dash across the room, it brings up one of it's claws and strikes at Heryl again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charge (1d20+4)[20]
    Crit Confirm (1d20+4)[11]
    Damage (1d4+1)[2]
    Improved Grab (1d20+2)[13]

Angela smiles sadly at Lord Wilril, "I'm sorry, if I'd had any idea what the meaning of that was, I would have shared my guesses. I'm sure I've read of something similar somewhere, but I can't be sure what. Anyway, was there anything you wished to ask me about last night? Or any other matter?"

13. - Top - End - #73

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Character sheet has been updated to reflect damage taken.

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Soothsayer? Silly human: she was an alchemist with memory problems, not some sort of diviner! What was with prophecies and people's unquestioning belief in them, anyway? I had been the target of about thirteen visions in my lifetime, and none of them had ever come true.

I sigh, turning my head to speak to the forgetful Angela. "How do your bones work?" I asked.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Mulberry Voltaire - Level 3 - Human Scout/Ranger
    Spoiler
    Show
    Male Neutral
    Init +3, HP 27/27, Speed 30 ft
    AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, Fort +4, Ref +8, Will 2, Base Attack Bonus +2
    Masterwork Longbow (Arrows (40)) +6 (+1 PBS) (1d8 (+1 PBS), x3)
    FULL-ATTACK: Longbow +4/+4 (+1 PBS) ( , )
    Gauntlet +2 (1d3, x2)
    Mithral Shirt (+4 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 10
    Condition None

Despite the commotion between Heryl and their enemy, Mul manages to compose and steady himself in position. With his footing in check, he aims for two successive shots.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Free:If he is just 5ft. short of being within 30ft. of the scorpion, make that particular 5ft step to activate Point Blank Shot. If not, then ignore this.

Full-Round: Rapid Shot
    Attack1:(1d20+6)[13]; Damage:(1d8+2)[9]
    Attack2:(1d20+6)[17]; Damage:(1d8+2)[7]
    If he is within 30ft. of the scorpion during the attack, add +1 to all attack and damage rolls
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Yao and Wilril

Angela smiles a knowing smile.
    "They are an interesting set of bones that, should one know how to use them properly, provides the user with information pertaining to a particular question to be posed. I keep them in a pouch about my neck. Go ahead and examine them, even magically should you wish."

She pauses here, and fishes them out from her robe. She pours them out onto the table, and gestures towards them as she continues speaking.

They each represent different aspects of the world. It's very similar to certain powerful divinations usually reserved for those with very great faith. I happen to know how to tap into such relics."

Mul and Heryl

As Mul's attacks intersect the creature, it shudders, and then jerks as whatever magic holding it here fades. The two of you are left in a state of adrenaline with nothing left but Heryl's wounds to show what happened.

Well, that and the now open lockbox.

17. - Top - End - #77

Heryl, witnessing the skittering creature vanish, breaths out an audible sigh of relief.

Giving himself a moment to catch his breath, Heryl places his crossbow back on his belt, and turns his gaze towards his companion.

"My apologies for unleashing that beast, Mulberry. I had no idea the lockbox was equipped with such a trap."

Heryl steps toward the lockbox, but then stops, turning back to Mulberry once more.

"Would you like the honor?

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Mulberry briefly smiled, partly out of relief but mostly due to his companion's display of courtesy.

"That suspiciously sounds like a code for 'Would you like to be grappled next'! Heh, alright, I'll bite." His attempt to follow up with a laugh fails as it sounded more like an animal's growl than anything else. Humor still isn't his strongest suit, after all.

He then approaches the lockbox to look at its contents, and cautions Heryl. "Ready your weapon just in case, my friend."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

I examine the bones closely with my keen eyes, perceiving the many bumps and shapes. Perhaps I was misremembering, but these bones looked very similar to the ogre oracle's bones - which I last saw seven years ago, after stomping out of the oracle's cavern.

"Angela," I began, "Where did you find these?"

Spoiler: Skill Checks
    Show
    Knowledge (Arcana): (1d20+8)[27]
    Knowledge (History): (1d20+5)[23]
    Knowledge (Religion): (1d20+5)[10]
    Spellcraft: (1d20+10)[16]

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Heryl and Mul

Mul picks up the box and cautiously opens the lid, inside is three compartments. The first contains a few rolls of coins. The second contains a stack of small papers, approximately the size of index cards. Each has a book title, two dates, a name, and an address. The one on top reads

Death, and the Mysteries of It's Plane
    6-12 134 d'Elwyn - 8-16 134 d'Elwyn
    Veryn Fluerdain
    Tomes of Mystery, Docks

Yao and Wilril

"I found it inside of me in a sense. I copied them from a set the dwarven high priest uses. Got them from some ogre mage he claimed. Quite proud of himself he was."

Yao
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Arcana
    These have several magical symbols carved onto the bones. Nothing on them are symbols used by arcanists however. It's probable that a magical scan would reveal more.
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2013-10-27 at 02:24 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

She crafted them? That was very impressive, especially for a human who was losing their memory. I picked up a large bone with a the flower-like scribble, scrutinising it, then placing it back with the other pieces. Willing arcane insight into myself, I glance at the bones again, this time with magical eyes.

"What exactly do you mean by 'copied them?'"

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Doctor Yao casts Detect Magic on herself.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"Some cards of sorts... what do you make of this, Heryl?", Mul whispers as he hands the piece over to Heryl for examination. He makes a mental note of the details written on the cards.

Spoiler: Knowledge(local)
    Show
    take 10 since they're not threatened
    Local:17, other necessary untrained Knowledge or intelligence checks are on a 12.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2013-10-27 at 02:43 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC: ben-zayb
    I apologize, I meant book title. Not book, the cards have book titles on them.

Yao and Wilril

"I mean that I made my own set when I got home that day. Well, it took longer than that, but still."

Yao
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft and Detect Magic
    You identify these bones as having a Moderate Divination aura. Actually, as your sight shifts into being able to into the spectrum of magic, this entire room holds much magic.

24. - Top - End - #84

Heryl accepts the box from Mulberry, and is immediately intrigued by its contents.

As he studies the cards, Heryls eyes narrow and his mouth opens slightly; a sign of concentration. After some contemplation, Heryl turns back to Mulberry.

"These cards seem like some sort of index system. Perhaps Lawrence used these to record who checked out certain books and the time it took for these individuals to return them, as well as his clients address."

Heryl pauses for a moment, glancing back down at the cards.

"But if the box's purpose was as innocent as that, why place such a lethal trap upon it? Perhaps its simply a measure of monetary protection, since the box also includes the coins?"

Spoiler: Skill Checks
    Show
    Heryl takes a 10 on a Knowledge (Religion) and a Knowledge (History); Both resulting in 17s. He also takes a ten on his Lore ability, which results in a 16.

These checks are to see if Heryl knows anything about the addresses, names, or book titles listed on the cards.

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

I look at the bones with renewed interest. They were magical, after all, and not some silly belief this woman had. I glance at Angela again.

"With an item like this, why aren't you doing investigation work for the city?"

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Wilril looks upon the myriad bones with interest.

"How many questions can you pose to the bones each day? Are they ever unclear to you?"

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Yao and Wilril

Angela scrutinizes you with a curious look.
    "That sounds like adventuring to me. I'm getting too old for that little one."

Then she turns to Lord Tarmikos and speaks in a bit more matter-of-fact fashion.

"As many as I have the time for. It does take a bit of skill to use them though. Sometimes they themselves are unsure of their answer, but they've never told me wrong."

Heryl and Mul

John comes back into the room the two of you are standing in.

"Some crackpot soothsayer of some sort, with delusions that she's some kind of witch. Those two seem to be entranced by her chicanery. Anyhow, what did you find?"

Heryl
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (History and Religion)
    Several of these books are well known tomes of religious or historical subjects. Some of them are rare, and those have much shorter dates listed.

Mul
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Local)
    Most of these names are the names of other local librarians. Well, former local librarians. Beyond that, you notice a few private citizens, but not much else.

As the two of you pour over the cards, Mul notices the third compartment. It contains a large, rolled up scroll tied with a black silk ribbon.

28. - Top - End - #88

Heryl begins eyeing the scroll contained in the third compartment. Desiring to examine it, but not wishing to be assaulted by another trap, Heryl decides to employ some more caution this time around.

Muttering some phrases in celestial and perfrming a complex series of hand gestures, Heryl invokes an orison of perpection, illuminating to him any magical auras in the vicinity.

Turning his now magically glowing yes towards the lockbox. Scanning his vision across the contents, Heryl inspects the money, the cards, the scroll, and even the box itself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heryl is casting Detect Magic. He's focusing long enough to get detailed information on any magical auras and to identify them if possible (if there even are any).

Spellcraft Check: (1d20+3)[13]

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"Trouble,to the tune of eight legs, a pair of pincers, and a stinger from hell. It apparently guards some of the documents, too. It seems like a spell trap... something our librarian missed telling us.", Mul dryly mumbles as he shifts his gaze towards the lockbox for emphasis.

Mul carefully hands over the whole box to Heryl for easier inspection, as he inquires to John.
    "Say... are we allowed to temporarily confiscate some of these items? It would be terrible to have someone, or something, tampering these the next day or two."
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2013-11-01 at 04:47 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Wilril pauses.

"...I see. Would they be able to identify the culprit, or provide any circumstantial information about them, or would they likely be unsure? We would need direct evidence to pin the crimes on them, of course, but a bit more direction for our investigation could certainly be helpful."
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2013-11-02 at 11:47 AM.

Spoiler
    Show