Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground XLIX

Ehn. I don't think I'll get done in time. If I miss the deadline, I'll do a brief text write-up as an exhibition. The design likely would fail miserably in power, anyway, if it didn't flub in elegance. And even then...well.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini476 View Post
    Durian is apparently somewhat tasty, although in this case the stench makes the comparison appropriate.

As a Secret Ingredient, Thrall of Orcus is more like Surströmming or that rotten, buried-three-weeks, icelandic shark dish.
    It depends on the kinds of durian, since there are many different varieties. individual taste is also a big part of it.

rotting fermented shark is called "hakarl"

I stand by my comparison to durian, though. the stink for your super BO ability, and how most people (actual play) think it's awful, but a small minority (us) think it's workable or maybe even kind of... good?
    fight my brute! it's a lot of fun
    Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition
    Iron Chef Deep Freeze: Turning Tables on Old Dishes

3. - Top - End - #243
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Can't get my concept to do anything reasonably original, apparently. I'll be judging this round. Criteria will be edited in to this post shortly.

EDIT: As promised:
    Spoiler
    Show
    MY CRITERIA: When more than a single example is given for a score, not all examples need be met to warrant that score.

Originality: Originality looks in part at the established archetypes and builds that the community at large has produced over the years. Characters attempting to perform, yet less adept at performing, as a well-established archetype - for instance, a charger - than typical for that archetype will score lower here than characters attempting to break new ground. Examples of a given score:
    5 - A new concept, necessitating the Thrall of Orcus PrC.
    4 - A new concept, using Thrall of Orcus without requiring it to tick.
    3 - An unusual concept that has been showcased on gaming forums before, or that is featured in other contest entrants. It’s not new, but it’s not stock standard either.
    2 - An old reliable concept, substituting Thrall of Orcus for the one typically used in discussions of builds of this type.
    1 - A build either cut and pasted or cobbled together entirely from extant handbooks and other known works. No new ideas are presented.

Power: Power is measured assuming a 1st - 20th campaign. Characters that come to power very late in the progression, or that are somehow ineligible to play at low levels, can expect a deduction here as surely as characters whose power peaks at low-to-mid levels and then relatively diminishes. Examples of a given score, relative to other entrants in the contest:
    5 - Easily the most powerful, flexible build presented here.
    4 - A powerful character that might need help or additional preparation in specific circumstances to continue to do its job well.
    3 - A build that is of average power for the contest, neither significantly stronger nor appreciably weaker overall. It may dominate in niche cases or be rendered weak in other niche cases.
    2 - While less powerful than the typical entry for this contest, the character manages to contribute reasonably without relying on help from other party members.
    1 - The build struggles to perform to the expectations typical for a character in the role assigned. Either the character relies heavily on help from other party members or requires specific equipment not restricted to the given role in order to be useful.

Elegance: Note that I tie the Elegance score closely to the Secret Ingredient. Shifter Druid 18/Moonspeaker 2 may be simple, but it is not an elegant use of Moonspeaker, to my mind. Note also that my default assumption is that characters presented are being inserted into an already-established world. A character that requires the DM to rewrite or ignore large swaths of existing fluff for your concept to work is unlikely to score highly in Elegance. References to Unearthed Arcana include those aspects of Unearthed Arcana that are included in the Variant section of the SRD. If I have to go hunting through books just to figure out where you got a particular feat, item, template, or obscure skill usage, expect no more than a 2 in Elegance. Examples of a given score:
    5 - Thrall of Orcus is entered appropriately early and taken to completion. All class levels, feats, skills, and disclosed items are smoothly tied together and progress the whole concept seamlessly and in a logical order. Favored Class rules are adhered to, and single-level dips are kept to a bare minimum - no more than one. No Unearthed Arcana, templates, LA or Racial HD, or other obvious power-oriented shenanigans were used. One could reasonably expect a majority of DMs to allow both the concept and progression to happen in a typical game.
    4 - Thrall of Orcus is entered reasonably early, perhaps delayed a bit or taken piecemeal, but finished. All class levels, feats, skills, and disclosed items are useful, but may not be intuitive choices to augment the presented concept. No Unearthed Arcana, templates, LA or Racial HD, or other obvious shenanigans were used, though Favored Class rules may have been ignored. One might expect to have to explain some bits of the build fairly carefully to a DM and possibly work out some accommodations, but flying books or dice bags are unlikely.
    3 - Thrall of Orcus is taken to completion, but entered later than expected or typical of this contest. Class levels, feats, skills, and disclosed items are taken in a disjointed fashion, perhaps indicating power is more important than concept. This character may use a race with a level adjustment for thematic reasons, or be forced to take a flaw or two to fit everything in, or use some other method of grabbing more feats or spells or other features than one would typically expect. One would have to work closely with the DM for some features of the presented build to be available, work as described in the build presented, or come online in a timely fashion, and wouldn’t necessarily expect to get this character approved by a DM that doesn’t know the player well.
    2 - Thrall of Orcus is abandoned before reaching its capstone or entered too late to finish before Epic levels. Class levels, feats, skills, and disclosed items do not share a unifying theme or work toward a more powerful whole. A template and LA are both included, possibly with flaws. Without an established rapport with a DM, one would expect the concept to meet with enough resistance that having a Plan B is advised when pitching the idea.
    1 - Vivacious Anthropomorphic Dire Were-Squid Half-Fiend Domain Wizard with Frail and Inattentive and. . . no. Just no. So many discordant templates and feats and ideas have been slapped together that ‘a Wizard did it’ is the only viable explanation for the character’s existence. Thrall of Orcus appears to have been an afterthought to the overall design. You would fully expect the character idea either to be rejected by the DM, or to have come into being entirely through the DM’s meddling with your character, and wouldn’t broach the subject with the DM if dice, books or other potential projectiles were within easy reach.

Use of Secret Ingredient: This is a conglomeration of how well, and how thoroughly, you incorporate the abilities of the Secret Ingredient into the build. Examples of a given score, relative to other entrants:
    5 - A fresh, original usage maximizing the particular strengths and minimizing the particular weaknesses of the Thrall of Orcus. Every aspect of Thrall of Orcus is utilized in the best way of any entry presented.
    4 - A solid, complete usage of Thrall of Orcus. Specific strengths of the Secret Ingredient were emphasized with minimal emphasis taken away from other strengths, or without negating known weaknesses.
    3 - Use of Thrall of Orcus was typical for the contest. Synergies were not emphasized especially, and some features of the Thrall of Orcus were ignored for the sake of maximizing a particular trick or two.
    2 - Others used the Thrall of Orcus more thoroughly, but this entry’s usage wasn’t bad. The overall concept works but doesn’t especially synergize with the Thrall of Orcus' strengths well. If the main trick you're highlighting is based on your other class(es), don't expect higher than a 2 here.
    1 - The Thrall of Orcus is actively hindering the concept presented. Clearly the character would have been stronger with a different Prestige Class, and the Thrall of Orcus got shoe-horned in there because of the contest.
    Last edited by Amphetryon; 2013-09-23 at 04:22 PM.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Oh, you're judging? what a treat. I look forward to your thoughts on my dish.

Just 8 hours left. Can't wait to see what the other chefs cooked up. This ingredient was a lot more difficult to cook with than I thought. It's like we had to make 3 courses based on a durian.
    Yes, judging because I could not think of a build that would be interesting.

I drew a total blank. Normally for these contests once I see the ingredient I have an idea immediately but not this one.

Plus I'm probably way overdue to judge one of these . . .

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dysprosium View Post
    Yes, judging because I could not think of a build that would be interesting.

I drew a total blank. Normally for these contests once I see the ingredient I have an idea immediately but not this one.

Plus I'm probably way overdue to judge one of these . . .
    That's cool. I did the same thing back in cryokineticist. I looked at it and just said "I can't make anything interesting with this." so decided to judge.
    Iron Chef Medals!

6. - Top - End - #246
    Orc in the Playground

Ok, build submitted.
    I felt a bit rushed at the end of it all here, so I'm not feeling that it's as well done as it could be, but it's in on time. Hopefully it'll be well received.

Good luck to the other cooks this round, and thank you to all of the judges.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Banned

Devil

I was feeling good this morning.

Then I learn Piggy, OMG, AND Macaberet are playing?

Well, at least there's always honorable mention, right?

Actually it's unfair to identify those 3 alone, everyone's really begun to get the challenge nailed down; consistently getting 14-15+ scores leaving it a big jumble for points.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    I was feeling good this morning.

Then I learn Piggy, OMG, AND Macaberet are playing?

Well, at least there's always honorable mention, right?

Actually it's unfair to identify those 3 alone, everyone's really begun to get the challenge nailed down; consistently getting 14-15+ scores leaving it a big jumble for points.
    I know what you mean. I'm excited to see what everyone's cooked up, because I know they'll all be awesome, but I'm dreading to see what Piggy, OMG, and Macaberet have cooked up, because I'm reasonably sure they'll be more awesome than mine. Oh well, maybe this is the round where I blow away all the competition and dethrone some of the top chefs.

That, or I'll be a fightin' ye fer the Honorable Mention.

It's also possible that Vknight's predictions may start coming true, and I may start consistently hitting 4th place. Who knows?

Good luck to all of my fellow chefs!
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

I am confident in getting a relatively high scoring...if no one took my idea.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

Mr. Chairman, I just updated my second dish (after finding a few typos), can you confirm receipt of that submission?

Signature of Holding

11. - Top - End - #251
    Banned

Devil

Update on the number of confirmed Entrants- #11
    Spoiler
    Show
    ; Kazyan
    ; Venger
    ; relytdan
    ; Vaz
    ; Keynub
    ; sabelo2000 (x2)
    ; Piggy Knowles
    ; Korahir
    ; Deadline (x2)
    ; OMG Ponies!
    ; Macabaret
    ; YOU!

Judges; #2
    - dysprosium
    - Amphetryon

12. - Top - End - #252
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Note that my criteria have been listed, now.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

I also got mine in earlier, not sure if it's been seen by the Chairman yet. (Also, not sure of time zones, but I THINK I made it in before the deadline.)

I would say more, but I fear I'd give away which is mine if I did.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    (Also, not sure of time zones, but I THINK I made it in before the deadline.)
    I'm fairly certain that we've still got about 10 minutes until the deadline expires.

Signature of Holding

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

the deadline's for 1159 GMT. that's in about an hour.
    Iron Chef Medals!

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Whee! I wasn't planning on submitting and then I did. Enjoy.
    This forum may use my name, simulated likeness, and/or words for any entertainment purposes or signature quotes.

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier. It is just like Iron Chef but comes with double the prize money.

Spoiler
    Show
    Prizes:
    Eglath - 2nd Place Iron Chef XXXII

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    the deadline's for 1159 GMT. that's in about an hour.
    Nope =). 5 Minutes.

And more recruits!

; Kazyan
    ; Venger
    ; relytdan
    ; Vaz
    ; Keynub
    ; sabelo2000 (x2)
    ; Piggy Knowles
    ; Korahir
    ; Deadline (x2)
    ; OMG Ponies!
    ; Macabaret
    ; Segev
    ; mattie_p

Brings us to 13 entrants declared, with a couple of extra entries, so expecting 15+.

First time I've actually read a reveal (hopefully) as it's posted. 6 day weeks ending at 5pm on a Sunday typically result in crashing around 9pm. Don't let me down, Kuulv!

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

According to http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/, we've still got 48 minutes.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Piggy Knowles View Post
    According to http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/, we've still got 48 minutes.
    It's possible that Daylight Savings Time may be responsible for my poor estimating skills.

Maybe. <_< .. >_>

Signature of Holding

20. - Top - End - #260
    Banned

Devil

How intriguing. But yes, I'm including DST in my accounting. We brits tend ti forget the difference between GMT and BST.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well darn!

I'm getting hungry!

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

the hour of judgement is upon us.
    Iron Chef Medals!

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

Please, abstain from posting until I've got all of the entries posted.

Much appreciated.

The Power of the Orient: A Wu Jen Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S. Kemp
    Frankly, I think the designers and novelists did great work in the post-Spellplague Realms. But, in the end, this wasn’t a new setting. It was the Realms, the Realms 100 years later, and therein lay the problem.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

It's just the Captain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tardis
    Captain Tardis

Background
    Spoiler
    Show
    Background
    Captain Tardis, set about carefully placing the snare trap knowing eventually the trap would capture his quarry.
    After a days wait Captain Tardis returned to the carefully set trap to find a squeeling goblin begging to be released.
    After tieing up the goblin and transporting it to a secluded ruins which had an altar made of thirty goblin skulls.
    The Captain said that he would in fact release the goblin after dark, true to his word the Captain released the goblin
    from life by removing its head from its body with a swift but accurate strike.

Build
    Spoiler
    Show
    Build
    {table=head]Level|Class|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Class Specific Features

1st|Human - Pyroclastic Half-dragon|
    -
    |
    -
    |
    -
    |
    -
    |See Racial Abilities Spoiler

2nd|Human - Pyroclastic Half-dragon|
    -
    |
    -
    |
    -
    |
    -

3rd|Human - Pyroclastic Half-dragon|
    -
    |
    -
    |
    -
    |
    -

4th|Fangshields Ranger Champion of the Wild|
    |
    |
    |
    |1st favored enemy goblinoid, Track, wild empathy

5th|FRCW|
    |
    |
    |
    |Two-Weapon Fighting

6th|FRCW|
    |
    |
    |
    |Endurance

7th|FRCW|
    |
    |
    |
    |Blind-Fight feat, animal companion ex: effective druid level 1/2 ranger+2

8th|FRCW|
    |
    |
    +4
    |
    |2nd favored enemy orc

9th|FRCW|
    6/1
    |
    |
    |
    |Improved Two-Weapon Fighting

10th|FRCW|
    7/2
    |
    |
    |
    |Woodland stride

11th|FRCW|
    8/3
    |
    |
    |
    |Swift tracker, Weapon Finesse

12th|FRCW|
    9/4
    |
    |
    |
    |Evasion

13th|FRCW|
    10/5
    |
    |
    |
    |3rd favored enemy giant

14th|Tempest|
    11/6/1
    |
    |
    |
    |Tempest defense +1

15th|Tempest|
    12/7/2
    |
    |
    |
    |Ambidexterity

16th|Tempest|
    13/8/3
    |
    |
    |
    |Tempest defense +2, two-weapon versatility

17th|Tempest|
    14/9/4
    |
    |
    |
    |Ambidexterity

18th|Tempest|
    15/10/5
    |
    |
    |
    |Tempest defense +3, two-weapon spring attack

19th|Thrall of Orcus|
    16/11/6/1
    |
    |
    |
    |Carrion stench, Coordinated Strike

20th|Thrall of Orcus|
    17/12/7/2
    |
    |
    |
    |Touch of fear
    [/table]

Feats and Skills
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feats
    HRBF: Soul of the North
    1st: Power Attack
    3rd: Dodge
    rbf2: two weapon fighting
    6th: evil brand
    rbf4: Blind-Fight
    MIBF: Mobility
    9th: Spring Attack
    rbf6: improved two weapon fighting
    rbf8: Weapon Finesse
    12th: Lichloved
    15th: Greater Two-Weapon Fighting
    18th: Thrall to Demon
    TOBF: Coordinated Strike

Skills
    race: 6 + 2 × 4=32
    lvl1: 6+2x4+4=36
    level 1: 32+36=68
    6+2+1=9*9lvls=81
    2+2+1=5*7lvls=35
    {table=head]Level|Skill|Ranks

4th|Climb|

4th|Concentration|

4th|Handle Animal|

4th|Heal|

4th|Hide|

4th|Jump|

4th|Knowledge (dungeoneering)|

4th|Knowledge (geography)|

4th|Knowledge (nature)|

4th|Listen|

4th|Move Silently|

4th|Ride|

4th|Search|

4th|Spot|

4th|Survival|

4th|Swim|

4th|Use Rope|

5th|Craft armorsmith|

5th|Sense Motive|

5th|Craft bowmaking|

6th|Appraise|

6th|Balance|

6th|Craft bowmaking|

7th|Bluff|

7th|Craft bowmaking|

7th|Craft Fletching|

7th|Craft weaponsmith|

7th|Craft blacksmithing|

8th|Disable Device|

8th|Disguise|

8th|Craft weaponsmith|

9th|Escape Artist|

9th|Gather Information|

9th|Craft weaponsmith|

10th|Knowledge (arcana)|

10th|Knowledge (architecture)|

10th|Craft weaponsmith|

11th|Knowledge (history)|

11th|Knowledge (local)|

11th|Craft blacksmithing|

12th|Knowledge (nobility)|

12th|Knowledge (religion)|

12th|Craft blacksmithing|

13th|Knowledge (the planes)|

13th|Open Lock|

13th|Craft blacksmithing|

14th|Balance|

14th|Craft bowmaking|

14th|Craft Fletching|

14th|Sleight of Hand|

15th|Sleight of Hand|

15th|Tumble|

16th|Tumble|

16th|Handle Animal|

17th|Ride|

17th|Knowledge (arcana)|

18th|Knowledge (religion)|

18th|Tumble|

19th|listen|

19th|search|

19th|spot|

19th|survival|

19th|Knowledge (arcana)|

20th|heal|

20th|hide|

20th|Handle Animal|

20th|ride|

20th|Knowledge (religion)|

[/table]

Racial Abilities & Stats
    Spoiler
    Show

Racial Abilities
    Human
    Medium
    Alignment: Neutral Evil
    speed is 30 feet
    1 extra feat at 1st level
    4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level
    Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic)

Pyroclastic Half-dragon
    type changes to dragon
    Natural armor improves by +4.
    medium bite attack 1d6
    medium 2 claw attacks 1d4
    gains two types of breath weapon, a cone of superheated ash accompanied by crushing waves of sonic force
    (dealing half fire damage and half sonic damage) or a disintegrating line
    darkvision 60ft
    immunity to sleep and paralysis effects
    immune to fire, sonic
    Str +8, Con +2, Int +2, Cha +2
    skill points equal to (6 + Int modifier) × (HD + 3).
    Level Adjustment: +3

An innate talent for magic grants you the following spell-like abilities as a 1st-level caster
    1/day < chill touch -Necromancy
    1/day < ray of frost -Evocation [Cold]
    1/day < resistance -Abjuration
    Save DC 10 + spell level + your Cha modifier

gains a +2 circumstance bonus on Diplomacy and Intimidate checks made against evil creatures
    gains a +1 circumstance bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and disease
    Once per day, while performing an evil act, add a +1 luck bonus on any one roll

Carrion Stench (Ex): A thrall of Orcus, when desired, emits a terrible smell in a 10-foot radius. Living creatures in
    the radius (excluding the thrall) must succeed at a Fortitude save (DC 10 + thrall’s class level + thrall’s Con modifier)
    or take a –2 penalty on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks
    ability checks for 1 round per class level of the thrall of Orcus
    Furthermore, mindless undead creatures within the radius of the stench believe the thrall of Orcus to be undead.

Touch of Fear (Sp): Three times per day, a 2nd-level thrall of Orcus can produce an effect identical to that of the cause fear
    spell cast by a 10th-level caster.

Stats
    {table=head]Attribute|32 pnt buy Base|Racial|Level|Magic|Misc.|Total

STR
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

DEX
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

CON
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

INT
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

WIS
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

CHA
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

[/table]

Equipment
    Spoiler
    Show

Equipment
    {table=head]Equipment Name|Body Slot|Cost
    Standard Adventurer’s Kit|N/a|15 gp
    Elven Chain of Mobility +2 armor|body|8,150
    Strongarm bracers|arms|6,000
    Gloves of Dexterity +2|hands|4,000
    Dagger|1d4 P&S|2
    Morningstar|1d8 B&P|8
    Longsword|1d8 S|15
    Saddle, Exotic Military|n/a|60
    Bit and bridle|n/a|2
    [/table]

Animal Companion Abilities & Stats
    Spoiler
    Show

Animal Companion Abilities
    DIRE WOLF (Warbeast, Magebred Templates)
    Large Animal
    Hit Dice: 7d8+18
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 60 ft.
    Armor Class: 14 (–1 size, +2 Dex, +3 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+15
    Attack: Bite +11 melee (1d8+10)
    Full Attack: Bite +11 melee (1d8+10)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Trip
    Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, combative mount
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +6
    Abilities: Str 30, Dex 19, Con 22, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 10
    Skills: Hide +0, Listen +7, Move Silently +4, Spot +7, Survival +2*

Carry Capacity: Light:1596 Medium:3192 Heavy:4800 Drag:24000

Feats: Alertness, Run, Track, Weapon Focus (bite), Improved Natural Attack

Combative Mount (Ex): A rider on a trained warbeast mount gets a +2 circumstance bonus on all Ride checks.
    A trained warbeast is proficient with light, medium, and heavy armor.

Trip (Ex): A dire wolf that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip its opponent (+11 check modifier) as a free action without
    making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the dire wolf

Excellent Learner: can learn 8 tricksall Handle animal DC checks reduced by 2
    Tracking Breed: survival checks +4 to follow tracks

Skills: A dire wolf has a +2 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot checks.
    Skills: A warbeast receives a +1 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks.
    *It also has a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.

1 bonus tricks, Link, share spells
    2 bonus tricks, hd +2, natural armor +2, str/dex adj +1, Evasion
    3 bonus tricks, hd +4, natural armor +4, str/dex adj +2, Devotion

base attack bonus is the same as that of a druid of a level equal to the animal’s HD
    good Fortitude and Reflex saves (treat it as a character whose level equals the animal’s HD
    gains additional skill points and feats for bonus HD as normal for advancing a monster’s Hit Dice (see the Monster Manual).

Level Breakdown
    Spoiler
    Show

Level Breakdown
    {table=head]Level|writeup what the character is about during these levels
    |
    the character is setting up for two-weapon fighting from dire wolf back

|
    gaining abilities

|
    gaining abilities

|
    Two weapon fighting near best progression

|
    the build benifits from the Stench as well as the Touch of Fear
    [/table]
    Ambidexterity:
    2nd attack penalties for fighting with two weapons are lessened by 1
    4th attack penalties are lessened by another 1

Two-Weapon Fighting Penalties:
    Off-hand weapon is light and Two-Weapon Fighting feat:
    (–2 / –2)

Attack Penalties with Ambidexterity, Two-Weapon Fighting & Off-hand weapon is light
    (0 / 0)- none - No penalties

Use of the Secret Ingredient
    Spoiler
    Show

Only used 2 levels of the SI as the build does not truely gain much from the rest of the SI levels.

Sources
    Spoiler
    Show

{table=head]Source Book|Page(s)
    PHB
    |
    46, 90-91, 116, 123

PHB2
    |

MIC
    |
    13, 139

DMG
    |
    216, 220

RotW
    |

MM
    |
    65, 146

MM2
    |

ECS
    |

Drac
    |

Carc
    |

CCh
    |

CoV
    |

Cadv
    |

Bovd
    |
    49-50, 71

[/table]

Frankly, I think the designers and novelists did great work in the post-Spellplague Realms. But, in the end, this wasn’t a new setting. It was the Realms, the Realms 100 years later, and therein lay the problem.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

A controversial opinion on Orcus
    Quote Originally Posted by The Decaying Tears
    The Decaying Tears
    CE Middle-Aged Gnome Cloistered Cleric of Tenebrous 1/Binder 8/Thrall of Orcus 10/Tenebrous Apostate 1

"Proof of concept," the Decaying Tears cried, on her knees. The ravages had taken their toll. She wept an inky blackness down her jaundiced, nigh-rotting face, foul odors of death pouring from her hideously bloated body. Both remorse and abandonment suffused the Decaying Tears's mind.

Shadows flitted about her, now permanently tied to the mortal's soul.

"I have forged this fragment of what was once your divinity to my body," her voice creaked.

She did not know if Orcus could hear her from the shrine she had built. But it was worth a try.

"Tenebrous, the Shadow That Was. Through supplication and study to my god--the god you once were--I have shown that magic can tie your divinity to a body." She flung her robe to the side and bowed until her face touched the ground. With her backless dress, her demonic brand on her back faced upwards, now surrounded by a scarifications of Tenebrous's unholy seal. They glowed faintly, not enough to see by, but with clear magic therein.

"I have become a master craftswoman, and I promise to forge the rest of your divinity back into your body, through whatever means and sacrifice you deem necessary."

Her speech to the altar over, she stood up and retrieved her robe. Still sobbing, the Decaying Tears left the dimly-lit room, and looked up to the sky. Perhaps Orcus would reward her by ending this suffering and finally becoming one of the dead. Perhaps. But to forge divinity back into Orcus's body would take a lot of permission and waiting. Perhaps until she died, to be sent to the Abyss.

She could wait for that. Her life was half over, anyway.
    The Decaying Tears allows several potent contributions to an adventuring party: debuffing, crafting, being an encyclopedia, some intimidation, and even a bit of meatshielding and action economy abuse--without having to jump through hoops to make the fluff work.

This is done primarily through the use of the Astaroth vestige, along with Focalor or Tenebrous, depending on application.

{table=head]Point Buy|Racial and Age Modifiers|Lv1 Total|Level Up/Massive Girth|Lv20 total
    8|-3|5|0|5
    8|-1|7|-2|5
    15|+1|16|+2|18
    17|+1|18|+5|23
    12|+1|13|0|13
    14|+1|15|0|15[/table]

The Decaying Tears: Build Table
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|Cloistered Cleric of Tenebrous 1|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Intimidate 2, Knowledge (Religion) 4, Knowledge (The Planes) 4, Knowledge (Arcana) 4, Knowledge (Nature) 4, Knowledge (Local) 2, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 2, Knowledge (History) 4, Bluff 2, Spellcraft 4|Divine Vigor, Evil Devotion (bonus), Death Devotion (bonus), Knowledge Devotion (Nature) (bonus)|lore, rebuke undead

2nd|Binder 1|
    +0
    |
    +4
    |
    +0
    |
    +4
    |Intimidate 3, Knowledge (Religion) 5, Knowledge (The Planes) 5, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Knowledge (Nature) 4, Knowledge (Local) 2, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 2, Knowledge (History) 5, Bluff 2, Spellcraft 4||Soul binding (1 vestige)

3rd|Binder 2|
    +1
    |
    +5
    |
    +0
    |
    +5
    |Intimidate 6, Knowledge (Religion) 6, Knowledge (The Planes) 6, Knowledge (Arcana) 6, Knowledge (Nature) 4, Knowledge (Local) 2, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 2, Knowledge (History) 5, Bluff 2, Spellcraft 4|Thrall To Demon|Pact augmentation (1 ability), suppress sign

4th|Binder 3|
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +1
    |
    +5
    |Intimidate 7, Knowledge (Religion) 7, Knowledge (The Planes) 7, Knowledge (Arcana) 7, Knowledge (Nature) 4, Knowledge (Local) 2, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 2, Knowledge (History) 5, Bluff 2, Spellcraft 4, Collector of Stories||

5th|Binder 4|
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +1
    |
    +6
    |Intimidate 8, Knowledge (Religion) 8, Knowledge (The Planes) 8, Knowledge (Arcana) 8, Knowledge (Nature) 6, Knowledge (Local) 2, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 2, Knowledge (History) 5, Bluff 2, Spellcraft 4, Collector of Stories|Improved binding (bonus)|

6th|Binder 5|
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +1
    |
    +6
    |Intimidate 9, Knowledge (Religion) 9, Knowledge (The Planes) 9, Knowledge (Arcana) 9, Knowledge (Nature) 8, Knowledge (Local) 2, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 2, Knowledge (History) 5, Bluff 2, Spellcraft 4, Collector of Stories|Evil Brand|Pact augmentation (2 abilities)

7th|Binder 6|
    +4
    |
    +7
    |
    +2
    |
    +7
    |Intimidate 10, Knowledge (Religion) 10, Knowledge (The Planes) 10, Knowledge (Arcana) 10, Knowledge (Nature) 10, Knowledge (Local) 2, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 2, Knowledge (History) 5, Bluff 2, Spellcraft 4, Collector of Stories||Soul guardian (immune to fear)

8th|Binder 7|
    +5
    |
    +7
    |
    +2
    |
    +7
    |Intimidate 11, Knowledge (Religion) 11, Knowledge (The Planes) 11, Knowledge (Arcana) 11, Knowledge (Nature) 11, Knowledge (Local) 3, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 2, Knowledge (History) 5, Bluff 2, Spellcraft 4, Collector of Stories||New Class Abilities

9th|Binder 8|
    +6
    |
    +8
    |
    +2
    |
    +8
    |Intimidate 12, Knowledge (Religion) 12, Knowledge (The Planes) 12, Knowledge (Arcana) 12, Knowledge (Nature) 12, Knowledge (Local) 3, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 3, Knowledge (History) 5, Bluff 2, Spellcraft 4, Collector of Stories|Lichloved|Soul binding (2 vestiges)

10th|Thrall of Orcus 1|
    +7
    |
    +10
    |
    +2
    |
    +10
    |Intimidate 13, Knowledge (Religion) 13, Knowledge (The Planes) 13, Knowledge (Arcana) 13, Knowledge (Nature) 13, Knowledge (Local) 6, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 7, Knowledge (History) 5, Bluff 2, Spellcraft 4, Collector of Stories|Open Minded (bonus)|Carrion Stench

11th|Thrall of Orcus 2|
    +8
    |
    +11
    |
    +2
    |
    +11
    |Intimidate 14, Knowledge (Religion) 14, Knowledge (The Planes) 14, Knowledge (Arcana) 14, Knowledge (Nature) 14, Knowledge (Local) 7, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8, Knowledge (History) 5, Bluff 2, Spellcraft 4, Collector of Stories||Touch of Fear

12th|Thrall of Orcus 3|
    +9
    |
    +11
    |
    +3
    |
    +11
    |Intimidate 15, Knowledge (Religion) 15, Knowledge (The Planes) 15, Knowledge (Arcana) 15, Knowledge (Nature) 15, Knowledge (Local) 11, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 11, Knowledge (History) 5, Bluff 2, Spellcraft 4, Collector of Stories|Open Minded|Demon Wings

13th|Thrall of Orcus 4|
    +10
    |
    +12
    |
    +3
    |
    +12
    |Intimidate 16, Knowledge (Religion) 16, Knowledge (The Planes) 16, Knowledge (Arcana) 16, Knowledge (Nature) 16, Knowledge (Local) 12, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 12, Knowledge (History) 5, Bluff 2, Spellcraft 4, Collector of Stories|Willing Deformity (bonus)|Massive Girth

14th|Thrall of Orcus 5|
    +11
    |
    +12
    |
    +3
    |
    +12
    |Intimidate 17, Knowledge (Religion) 17, Knowledge (The Planes) 17, Knowledge (Arcana) 17, Knowledge (Nature) 17, Knowledge (Local) 13, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 13, Knowledge (History) 5, Bluff 2, Spellcraft 4, Collector of Stories||Summon minor undead

15th|Thrall of Orcus 6|
    +12
    |
    +13
    |
    +4
    |
    +13
    |Intimidate 18, Knowledge (Religion) 18, Knowledge (The Planes) 18, Knowledge (Arcana) 18, Knowledge (Nature) 18, Knowledge (Local) 14, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 14, Knowledge (History) 5, Bluff 2, Spellcraft 4, Collector of Stories|Assume Supernatural Ability (Tomb Mote's Quickness)|Pallor of death

16th|Thrall of Orcus 7|
    +13
    |
    +13
    |
    +4
    |
    +13
    |Intimidate 19, Knowledge (Religion) 19, Knowledge (The Planes) 19, Knowledge (Arcana) 19, Knowledge (Nature) 19, Knowledge (Local) 15, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 16, Knowledge (History) 5, Bluff 2, Spellcraft 4, Collector of Stories|Forge Ring (bonus)|Demon Wings (at will)

17th|Thrall of Orcus 8|
    +14
    |
    +14
    |
    +4
    |
    +14
    |Intimidate 20, Knowledge (Religion) 20, Knowledge (The Planes) 20, Knowledge (Arcana) 20, Knowledge (Nature) 20, Knowledge (Local) 17, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 17, Knowledge (History) 5, Bluff 2, Spellcraft 4, Collector of Stories||Death Touch

18th|Thrall of Orcus 9|
    +15
    |
    +14
    |
    +5
    |
    +14
    |Intimidate 21, Knowledge (Religion) 21, Knowledge (The Planes) 21, Knowledge (Arcana) 21, Knowledge (Nature) 21, Knowledge (Local) 18, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 19, Knowledge (History) 5, Bluff 2, Spellcraft 4, Collector of Stories|Extraordinary Artisan|Summon major undead

19th|Thrall of Orcus 10|
    +16
    |
    +15
    |
    +5
    |
    +15
    |Intimidate 22, Knowledge (Religion) 22, Knowledge (The Planes) 22, Knowledge (Arcana) 22, Knowledge (Nature) 22, Knowledge (Local) 20, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 20, Knowledge (History) 5, Bluff 2, Spellcraft 4, Collector of Stories|Legendary Artisan (bonus)|Summon nightwing

20th|Tenebrous Apostate 1|
    +16
    |
    +17
    |
    +5
    |
    +17
    |Intimidate 23, Knowledge (Religion) 23, Knowledge (The Planes) 23, Knowledge (Arcana) 23, Knowledge (Nature) 23, Knowledge (Local) 21, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 20, Knowledge (History) 5, Bluff 3, Spellcraft 4, Collector of Stories||Eternal bondage, Tenebrous's rebuke[/table]

Though the Decaying Tears is capable of spellcasting, I feel that the spells are unimportant beyond very low levels; the spell table has been omitted.

Level 5
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Decaying Tears is basically just a normal binder with a Cloistered Cleric dip as a speed bump. I'm guessing that worshiping Tenebrous means that the heterodoxy variant is not mandatory--I doubt Tenebrous has any reservations about pact magic. Improved Binding comes a little late, but we can deal with it. At this level, 3rd level vestiges are open. Binding is complicated, and I won't go into why it's awesome, but I'll just say that it is and move on.

The beginnings of two of the build's abilities are here. By binding Focalor and using Knowledge Devotion, you can deal a bit more electricity damage than normal. Secondly, you have Lore and a bunch of Knowledge skills. An effective +7 to Lore checks (remember the Knowledge (History) synergy bonus; Lore works just like bardic knowledge) means that you can unearth a bunch of plot threads as a backup to your regular knowledges, which themselves are augmented by Collector of Stories.

Divine Vigor is a bit of an odd choice, but it may save your bacon in the early levels. You'll learn to love it later.

Level 10
    Spoiler
    Show
    The good stuff.

8 levels in binder means that you can bind two vestiges, and you usually want Astaroth and Focalor. This will give you a deathly, crying appearance--thus the Decaying Tears's name. Astaroth's sign fits well with the flavor of Thrall of Orcus, which you just entered.

Astaroth is good for crafting. Get the required spells from scrolls or something (ask Karsus for help in activating them) and you can make a bunch of neat stuff for the party. Don't forget that you have gnome SLAs as a starting point. Your EBL is 8, so Forge Ring is outside of your range, but most other feats are fair game. Since you’re eventually aiming to forge Tenebrous back into Orcus, go ahead and use the Dark Craft rules to get some practice with working with souls.

Also, Astaroth grants Angelic Lore. You now have a +8 version from Cloistered Cleric and a +15 version from Astaroth, alongside a pile of Knowledges. Learn everything.

With Focalor, you have debuffs! Debuffs everywhere! Astaroth's Sickening breath + Aura of Sadness + Carrion Stench (Thrall of Orcus) + Death Devotion (you don't have to do significant damage, just hit them) = mommy, why are my numbers so low?

Finally, Focalor allows you to keep blasting with 4d6+Knowledge Devotion damage all day every day with complete disregard for your terrible Strength and Dexterity.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that those two are your only options, though. Tenebrous is good for tanking, if necessary. Pop off a Divine Vigor every 6 rounds, using Tenebrous's Rebuke Undead to fuel it, and you have a continually refreshing source of HP to be a meatshield with (and Evil Devotion for DR). Tenebrous also gives you better mileage on Evil Devotion and Death Devotion, by saving you a turn attempt.

You can also actually use a bunch of the stuff you craft when you bind Karsus, and for that thing that you Really Need To Learn, ask Dantalion for help.

Level 15
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've gushed enough about pact magic; it's time to talk about Thrall of Orcus.

Touch of Fear adds to your debuffing ability, and can also be made into a wand or something when you use it to supply the required spell.

Demon Wings is great because of one of the major weaknesses of Binders as a "caster": they can't fly very well. Geryon is their only option, and that's just for one round at a time, so this is a welcome ability. You cannot afford a vestige tax.

Binders require a good Con score for some of their abilities (see Naberius and Dahlver-Nahr), so Massive Girth helps, and makes Tenebrous/Divine Vigor tanking easier. You weren't using that Dexterity score, anyway.

You've also received proficiency with all types of shields. I recommend using a tower shield--you like getting up in people's grills to dubuff and tank, your Dexterity is terrible anyway, and Focalor's lightning strike does not care about attack rolls. Show up, hide behind the tower shield, and let enemies swat at you while hitting them with lightning over and over.

Pallor of Death is very potent when combined with Assume Supernatural Ability. Alter Self into a Tomb Mote and nab its Quickness ability for an extra standard action per turn (including the current one; there's basically no action cost). Two lightning strikes for the price of one, and you become harder to hit, too. Note that I am interpreting Pallor of Death to mean that you Alter Self into an undead creature, and it must be humanoid-shaped.

Intimidate optimization seems practically mandatory for this class. Instead of going through the standard Imperious Command/Never Outnumbered motions we saw a billion times in the Talon of Taimat round and that I'm still sick of, I've simply maximized the score and allowed that to stand on its own for single-target debuffing and party facing. (If you insist on the standards, those two iterations of Open Minded can go.) Remember that you can craft that Fearsome armor, if you want. At level 15, using Pallor of Death to become a medium undead, your check is 18 (ranks) + 2 (Cha) + 6 (deformities) + 4 (Astaroth!) = +30, sans Fearsome armor and such.

Level 19 (sweet spot)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Finishing up Thrall of Orcus. You now have permaflight--other Binders have to wait until level 27 to get that--and with your bonus feats, you take the ones that make Astaroth's crafting easier. We're breaking down and just taking Forge Ring in-house; we qualify with the caster level of our gnomish SLAs, which default to HD because there's no CL listed. With the proper scrolls and some crafting time, we can make undead-boosting desecration rings for the undead we summon.

Death touch is a neat little kicker to use when you've debuffed someone's saves to nothing, but it's not that interesting. What you're really here for is the vampire/ghost and the nightwing. They're both pretty cool now that you can make a desecration ring. With class levels, the vampire or ghost can supply you with a whole bunch of kinds of spells for crafting, and the nightwing is a downright treasure trove of SLAs. You only get it once a week...it's a good thing that you can wait up to a week between crafting days, then. One day to craft, six of doing other stuff, and repeat. The nightwing's SLAs are great, and you can potentially have them available to you whenever you want.

Level 20
    Spoiler
    Show
    The only thing to add for this level is Eternal Bondage--the Decaying tears has finally suceeded in permanently binding a fragment of Tenebrous to a body. The rules are unclear, but the ability is generally interpreted to give you a free binding to Tenebrous without locking up a vestige slot. In this way, you can be bound to Astaroth, Focalor, and Tenebrous all at once. No need to debate over which of the three you need anymore; now you can power all those divine feats with efficiency while still being an excellent debuffer.

Conclusion
    The Decaying Tears is not a particularly focused build, but I hope I have shown its usefulness nonetheless in a wide variety of situations. Fundamentally, Thrall of Orcus is not a bad class. You just have to get a little bit 'out there' to really show how it's good at its jobs, which appear to be everything short of actually hitting the other guy with a weapon.

Sources
    Spoiler
    Show
    Core
    Book of Vile Darkness: SI, prerequisite feats, Dark Craft
    Tome of Magic: everything Binder-related except Astaroth (here); Tenebrous as a god
    Libris Mortis: Tomb Mote
    Savage Species: Assume Supernatural Ability
    Complete Champion: Devotion Feats
    Complete Warrior: Divine Vigor
    Complete Scoundrel: Collector of Stories skill trick, Open Minded
    Eberron Cmapaign Setting: Artisan Feats
    Unearthed Arcana: Cloistered Cleric
    Web Enhancement: Desecration Ring
    Drow of the Underdark: Fearsome armor (optional)
    Last edited by Kuulvheysoon; 2013-09-23 at 08:26 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

[redacted]
    Last edited by Kuulvheysoon; 2013-09-24 at 05:05 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

It's all in the family
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Oakshield the 666th
    Henry Oakshield the 666th

Background
    Spoiler
    Show
    Background
    Henry Oakshield the 666th
    Hedid not like his father , whom did not like his, as did the previous generations of Henry
    so as was tradition Henry took his father on henry the 666th's 66th birthday to the alter of Orcus at night and killed him exatly 666 seconds after the rise of the full moon, so he like his forfathers could become a thrall of orcus.

Racial
    Spoiler
    Show
    Racial
    DWARF, FROST
    Medium Humanoid (Dwarf, Extraplanar)
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+2
    Saves: Fort +5*, Ref +0*, Will –1*
    Skills: Craft (blacksmithing) +4, Craft (stonemasonry) +2, Listen +2, Move Silently +4, Spot +2
    Feats: Toughness
    +4 Constitution, –4 Charisma
    Darkvision out to 120 feet.
    Immunity to paralysis, phantasms, and poison.
    Resistance to cold 10.
    Stability: +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground
    (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
    +2 racial bonus on saves against spells and spell-like abilities (*not reflected in the saving throw numbers given here).
    +1 racial bonus on attack rolls and +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against creatures of the giant type (such as ogres, trolls, and frost giants).
    Spell-Like Abilities:
    1/day—chill touch and obscuring mist as a wizard of the frost dwarf’s class level +2 (minimum caster level 3rd).
    Light sensitivity (dazzled in bright sunlight or with in the radius of a daylight spell).
    +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks
    +2 racial bonus on Appraise and Craft checks related to stone or metal
    Automatic Languages: Common, Dwarven, Giant
    Level adjustment +1

Alignment [ CE ]

Build
    Spoiler
    Show
    Build
    {table=head]Level|Class|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Class Specific Features

1st|Frost Dwarf|
    |
    |
    |
    |See Background

2nd|Battle Sorcerer|
    |
    |
    |
    | Summon familiar

3rd|Fighter|
    |
    |
    |
    |Bonus Feat

4th|Fighter|
    |
    |
    |
    |Bonus Feat

5th|Fighter|
    |
    |
    |
    |-

6th|Fighter|
    |
    |
    |
    |Bonus Feat

7th|Fighter|
    |
    |
    |
    |-

8th|Fighter|
    |
    |
    |
    |Bonus Feat

9th|Fighter|
    |
    |
    |
    |-

10th|Fighter|
    |
    |
    |
    |Bonus Feat

11th|Fighter|
    |
    |
    |
    |-

12th|Fighter|
    |
    |
    |
    |Bonus Feat

13th|Orcus|
    |
    |
    |
    |Carrion stench, Bonus feat

14th|Orcus|
    |
    |
    |
    |Touch of fear

15th|Orcus|
    |
    |
    |
    |Demon wings

16th|Orcus|
    |
    |
    |
    |skeletal visage, Bonus feat

17th|Orcus|
    |
    |
    |
    |Summon minor undead

18th|Orcus|
    |
    |
    |
    |Pallor of death

19th|Orcus|
    |
    |
    |
    |Demon wings (at will), Bonus feat

20th|Orcus|
    |
    |
    |
    |Death touch

[/table]

Feats and Skills
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feats

level 0 Soul of the North
    level 3 Willing defority feat
    level 6 Evil brand
    level 9 Lichloved
    level 12 Thrall to Demon
    level 15 Combat Reflexes
    level 18 Blind-Fight
    orcus 4 Gaunt feat
    fighter 1 Power Attack
    fighter 2 Cleave
    fighter 4 Quick Draw
    fighter 6 Great Cleave
    fighter 8 Weapon Focus
    fighter 10 Weapon Specialization

Skills
    Craft (blacksmithing) +4
    Craft (stonemasonry) +2
    Listen +2
    Move Silently +4
    Spot +2

Lvl 1
    Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks
    Knowledge (religion) 2 ranks
    Lvl 2-5
    Knowledge (religion) 4 ranks
    Lvl 6-20
    Concentration 4 ranks
    Craft (blacksmithing) 2 ranks
    Craft (stonemasonry) 2 ranks
    Spellcraft 4 ranks
    Climb 4 ranks
    Intimidate 4 ranks
    Move Silently 4 ranks
    Jump 4 ranks
    Listen 4 ranks
    Spot 2 ranks

Stats
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stats
    {table=head]Attribute|32 pnt buy Base|Racial|Level|Magic|Misc.|Total

STR
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

DEX
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

CON
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

INT
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

WIS
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

CHA
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

[/table]

Equipment
    Spoiler
    Show

Equipment
    Dagger 2 gp 1d4 19–20/×2 10 ft. 1 lb. Piercing or slashing
    Morningstar 8 gp 1d8 ×2 6 lb. Bludgeoning and piercing
    Greataxe 20 gp 1d12 ×3 12 lb. Slashing
    Longbow, composite 100 gp 1d8 ×3 110 ft. 3 lb. Piercing
    Arrows (20) 1 gp
    Chain shirt 100 gp ab+4 md+4 acp–2 asf20% spd30 ft.

Spells Known per Day
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells Known per Day
    {table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th
    1st|3|1
    [/table]

Spells & Powers Prepared/Memorized
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells & Powers Prepared/Memorized
    spell-like abilities as a 1st-level caster:
    (SotN):1/day—chill touch, ray of frost, resistance. Save DC 10 + spell level + your Cha modifier
    (FD) :1/day—chill touch and obscuring mist as a wizard of the frost dwarf’s class level +2 (minimum caster level 3rd)
    Sorcerer
    0-level: Touch of Fatigue
    0-level: Ray of Frost
    0-level: Acid Splash
    Sorcerer
    1-level: Chill Touch

Level Breakdown
    Spoiler
    Show

Level Breakdown
    build is a fairly straight forward get in your face and hit you with the added bonuses that the levels of Orcus give.

Use of the Secret Ingredient
    Spoiler
    Show

This secret ingredient SUCKS while restrictive due to implied need for specific feat to be useable and implied need for necromancy school to be cast.
    overall the SI works well with the build

Sources
    Spoiler
    Show

(planer 113)
    (Carc 83)
    (phb 37, 51, 90-91, 116-117, 123)
    (bovd 49-50, 71)
    (ua 56)

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

There's a fine line between love and loathe
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Dellamorte

Dr. Dellamorte
    NE Half-Elf Druid 5/Ranger 1/Blighter 7/Thrall of Orcus 7

What Makes a Man?
    Spoiler
    Show

You'd best mind your elders child, else we let old Dellamorte Dellamore have away with your soul!

Dr. Dellamorte wasn't always the dark figure that parents spook their children with and people speak about in hushed whispers, but he wasn't a saint, either. Sure, he had a hard life; abandoned as a child, called a freak and cast out of his home town as an adult. Sometimes adversity like that makes a man stronger. And sometimes ... something deep inside him breaks, and you wind up with a man like Dellamorte, forever bent on pain and death.

After his village cast him out, Dellamorte was taken in by a sect of druids who dedicated themselves to being the harbingers of nature's destructive power. Dellamorte excelled in his studies, and delighted in causing destruction upon those who, in his view, did not respect nature. He became a full-fledged druid, and set out to wander the natural places of the world and punish interlopers. For a time, this was all he needed to be happy. Then, while she was out for a ride in the countryside, he met Valentina, the daughter of the local Duke. True love blossomed, as it does, and the lovers would meet regularly in a secluded glade.

It wasn't long before the Duke became curious about where his daughter was spending much of her time, so he sent some of his men-at-arms to follow her with instructions to keep her safe. When the men-at-arms saw what she was up to, they attempted to intervene. Dellamorte was incensed, and slew one of them in his fury. The men-at-arms fought back, and during the scuffle Valentina threw herself in front of a crossbow bolt meant for Dellamorte. The druid drove them off, but was left with the cold, lifeless corpse of his love. Dellamorte sought the aid of his druid brethren, but they scorned him for his dalliances, and would do nothing to help restore Valentina to life. Having gone mad with grief at the loss of his love and further rejection of his brethren, Dellamorte sought the aid of a mad warlock, who was only able to reanimate Valentina as a zombie. But for the now unhinged Dellamorte, that was enough.

Dellamorte descended into madness and depravity, losing his connection to the natural world. He now understood that life and nature were not a perfect creation to be kept in balance - they were an abomination to be destroyed. This newfound understanding gave birth to fell powers within him, and he dedicated himself and his deeds to the fell prince of undeath himself, Orcus. Dellamorte hunted down the men-at-arms who slew Valentina and sacrificed them to Orcus, his zombie "bride" at his side the whole time. After that, it wasn't a difficult leap for Dellamorte to turn on his former brethren.

These days, Dellamorte can be found travelling from village to village, masquerading as a doctor to treat the ill and injured. He uses his cover to spread disease, death, and despair.

The Good Doctor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dr. Dellamorte
    {table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|Druid 1|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |(4+Int)Concentration 4, Heal 4, Listen 4, Spot 4, Survival 4|Evil Brand|Spellcasting, Animal Companion, Nature Sense, Wild Empathy

2nd|Druid 2|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |(4+Int)Concentration 5, Heal 5, Listen 5, Spot 5, Survival 5| |Woodland Stride

3rd|Druid 3|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |(4+Int)Concentration 6, Heal 6, Listen 6, Spot 6, Survival 6|Lichloved|Trackless Step

4th|Druid 4|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |(4+Int)Concentration 7, Heal 7, Listen 7, Spot 7, Survival 7| |Resist Nature's Lure

5th|Druid 5|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |(4+Int)Concentration 8, Heal 8, Knowledge(Religion) (1), Listen 8| |Wildshape (1/day)

6th|Ranger 1|
    +4
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +4
    |(6+Int)Concentration 9, Heal 9, Knowledge(Arcana) (1), Knowledge(Religion) (2), Listen 9|Thrall to a Demon, Track(B)|1st Favored Enemy(Humanoid[Human]), Track, Wild Empathy

7th|Blighter 1|
    +4
    |
    +8
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |(4+Int)Concentration 10, Heal 10, Knowledge(Arcana) (2), Listen 10| |Spellcasting, Deforestation

8th|Thrall of Orcus 1|
    +5
    |
    +10
    |
    +3
    |
    +8
    |(2+Int)Concentration 11, Spot 9| |+1 level of existing spellcasting class, Carrion Stench

9th|Thrall of Orcus 2|
    +6
    |
    +11
    |
    +3
    |
    +9
    |(2+Int)Concentration 12, Spot 11|Willing Deformity|Touch of Fear

10th|Thrall of Orcus 3|
    +7
    |
    +11
    |
    +4
    |
    +9
    |(2+Int)Concentration 13, Spot 13| |Demon Wings

11th|Thrall of Orcus 4|
    +8
    |
    +12
    |
    +4
    |
    +10
    |(2+Int)Concentration 14, Listen (10.5), Spot 14| |+1 level of existing spellcasting class, Skeletal Visage

12th|Thrall of Orcus 5|
    +9
    |
    +12
    |
    +4
    |
    +10
    |(2+Int)Concentration 15, Listen (11), Spot 15|Corrupt Spell|Summon Minor Undead

13th|Thrall of Orcus 6|
    +10
    |
    +13
    |
    +5
    |
    +11
    |(2+Int)Concentration 16, Listen (11.5), Spot 16| |Pallor of Death

14th|Thrall of Orcus 7|
    +11
    |
    +13
    |
    +5
    |
    +11
    |(2+Int)Concentration 17, Listen (12), Spot 17| |+1 level of existing spellcasting class, Demon Wings (at will)

15th|Blighter 2|
    +12
    |
    +14
    |
    +5
    |
    +12
    |(4+Int)Concentration 18, Spot 18, Survival 10|Malign Spell Focus|Blightfire, Sustenance

16th|Blighter 3|
    +13
    |
    +14
    |
    +6
    |
    +12
    |(4+Int)Concentration 19, Listen 14, Spot 19, Survival 11| |Undead Wild Shape (1/day)

17th|Blighter 4|
    +14
    |
    +15
    |
    +6
    |
    +13
    |(4+Int)Concentration 20, Listen 16, Spot 20, Survival 12| |Speak With Dead Animal, Undead Wild Shape (2/day)

18th|Blighter 5|
    +14
    |
    +15
    |
    +6
    |
    +13
    |(4+Int)Concentration 21, Listen 18, Spot 21, Survival 13|Natural Spell|Contagious Touch 1/day, Undead Wild Shape (Large)

19th|Blighter 6|
    +15
    |
    +16
    |
    +7
    |
    +14
    |(4+Int)Concentration 22, Listen 20, Spot 22, Survival 14| |Animate Dead Animal, Undead Wild Shape (3/day)

20th|Blighter 7|
    +16
    |
    +16
    |
    +7
    |
    +14
    |(4+Int)Concentration 23, Listen 22, Spot 23, Survival 15| |Contagious Touch 2/day[/table]

Stats and Increases
    Spoiler
    Show

Starting Ability Scores:
    Str - 10
    Dex - 14
    Con - 14
    Int - 12
    Wis - 16
    Cha - 12

Final Ability Scores:
    Str - 10
    Dex - 16 (+2 Skeletal Visage)
    Con - 14
    Int - 12
    Wis - 21 (+5 stat bumps)
    Cha - 12

Spells per day
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells per day

1st|3|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|4|2|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|5|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|5|3|2|1|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|5|3|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|5|3|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|5|3|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|5|3|1|0|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|5|3|1|0|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|5|3|1|0|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|6|3|2|1|0|-|-|-|-|-

15th|6|3|3|2|1|0|-|-|-|-

16th|6|3|3|3|2|1|0|-|-|-

17th|6|4|3|3|3|2|1|0|-|-

18th|6|4|4|3|3|3|2|1|0|-

19th|6|5|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|0

20th|6|5|5|4|4|4|4|3|2|1[/table]

Methods To His Madness
    Spoiler
    Show

Level 5
    Dr. Dellamorte has led an eventful life thus far, but is losing his grip on the forces of nature. He's lost his love, had her returned, in a fashion, and is starting to turn against his teachings. He operates as pretty much any other 5th level druid does. He's got some good spellcasting, an animal companion, and Wildshape to tackle combat. He also makes a reasonable scout.

Level 11
    Life has taken quite a turn for the doctor, and he has now dedicated himself to destroying the living in the name of Orcus. He now operates as a scout and debuffer. His spells, Touch of Fear, and Carrion Stench all help to sap the strength of the opposition. He has flight, albeit limited, through Demon Wings. Skeletal Visage gives him a minor boost to Dex, as his form warps and shifts to more resemble his "love".

Level 16 "Sweet Spot"
    The good doctor now has permanent flight, wild shape utility, battlefield control spells, minionmancy, and high DC save or lose tools added to his arsenal of destruction. Demon Wings provides flight regardless of form, which is handy given that any animal Dellamorte wildshapes into has the skeleton template applied to it. He is a potent debuffing force, can scout well, wade into combat as a skeletal bear with wings, and can summon or animate his own party. Sustenance removes the need for food and water, Blightfire gives him some fallback blasting utility, Summon Minor Undead means he's never alone for long, and Pallor of Death lets him take on an appearance that he hopes will be pleasing to his "love".

Level 20
    The last few levels only serve to enhance Dr. Dellamorte. He gains even more potent spellcasting ability with 9th level Blighter spells, the ability to turn into large skeletal animals, a 1/day Animate Dead for animals that allows him to whip up cost-free bruisers, and Contagious Touch to spread disease among the living. Lastly, the doc tops out with a +16 BAB.

Usage of the Secret Ingredient
    Spoiler
    Show

So, the first question you may be asking is, why only 7 levels of the SI? To answer that, let's look at what Dr. Dellamorte would get with those last few levels:

Pros:
    • A low DC at-will Death Touch
    • A 1/week super minion summon
    • +1 Spellcasting level
    • +17 BAB

Cons:
    • Lose access to 9th level spells, and has fewer spells
    • Lose access to free Animate Dead for animals
    • Lose access to usable combat forms for Undead Wild Shape

The low DC Death Touch and +1BAB aren't that bad, but losing Summon Nightwing hurts. Thankfully, Dr. Dellamorte has an approximation of Death Touch (Contagious Touch), better spellcasting, and a free bruiser minion each day. I decided that it was better to stick to his theme rather than finish the SI for the sake of finishing it. He loses very little by making the jump at 7th level, and is stronger for it.

Sources
    Spoiler
    Show

Player's Handbook (Druid, Ranger, Natural Spell)
    Book of Vile Darkness (Secret Ingredient, Corrupt Spell, Evil Brand, Lichloved, Malign Spell Focus, Thrall to a Demon, Willing Deformity)
    Complete Divine (Blighter)

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

He's sold his soul at least twice over
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobluth
    Dobluth - Thrall of Orcus

Birth
    Spoiler
    Show

CE Lesser Drow Warlock 4/Wizard (Necromancer Variant) 1/Warblade 1/Demonbinder 4/Thrall of Orcus 10

Starting Attributes
    Str: 10
    Dex: 12
    Con: 13
    Int: 16
    Cha: 16
    Wis: 8

Lvl 4: +1 Con
    Lvl 11: -2 Dex, +2 Con
    Lvl 8, 12, 16, 20: +1 Cha

Final Attributes
    Str: 10
    Dex: 10
    Con: 16
    Int: 16
    Cha: 20
    Wis: 8

Leaving home a.k.a. The Build
    Spoiler
    Show

1st|Warlock|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Bluff +4, Concentration +4, Intimidate +4, Knowledge (Planes) +4 Knowledge (Arcana) +1, Sense Motive +2, Use Magic Device +1 |Evil Brand| Eldritch blast 1d6, Sickening Blast

2nd|Wizard (Necromancer Variant)|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +4
    |Bluff +4, Concentration +5, Intimidate +4, Knowledge (Planes) +5 Knowledge (Arcana) +2, Knowledge (Religion) +2, Sense Motive +2, Use Magic Device +1|Martial Study (Sudden Leap)|Bonus Feat (Fighter), Enhanced Undead

3rd| Warblade|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +4
    |Bluff +4, Concentration +6, Intimidate +6, Jump +4, Knowledge (Planes) +5 Knowledge (Arcana) +2, Knowledge (Religion) +2, Sense Motive +2, Use Magic Device +1|Lichloved|Battle Clarity (Reflex Saves), Weapon Aptitude

4th|Warlock|
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +5
    |Bluff +4, Concentration +7, Intimidate +7, Jump +4, Knowledge (Planes) +7 Knowledge (Arcana) +2, Knowledge (Religion) +2, Sense Motive +3, Use Magic Device +1|-|Detect Magic, Baleful Utterance

5th|Warlock|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +5
    |Bluff +4, Concentration +8, Intimidate +8, Jump +4, Knowledge (Planes) +8 Knowledge (Arcana) +2, Knowledge (Religion) +2, Sense Motive +4, Use Magic Device +2|-|DR 1/Cold Iron Magic, Eldritch Blast 2d6

6th|Warlock|
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +6
    |Bluff +4, Concentration +9, Intimidate +9, Jump +4, Knowledge (Planes) +8 Knowledge (Arcana) +2, Knowledge (Religion) +2, Sense Motive +4, Use Magic Device +5|Thrall to Demon(Orcus)|Deceive Item, Eldritch Glaive

7th|Demonbinder|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +1
    |
    +8
    |Bluff +5, Concentration +10, Intimidate +10, Jump +4, Knowledge (Planes) +8 Knowledge (Arcana) +2, Knowledge (Religion) +2, Sense Motive +4, Use Magic Device +7|-|Damnation points, Demonbind

8th|Thrall of Orcus|
    +5
    |
    +7
    |
    +1
    |
    +10
    | Bluff +5, Concentration +11, Intimidate +11, Jump +5, Knowledge (Planes) +8 Knowledge (Arcana) +2, Knowledge (Religion) +2, Sense Motive +4, Use Magic Device +7 Skill Trick: Never Outnumbered |-|Carrion Stench, Eldritch Blast 3d6

9th|Thrall of Orcus|
    +6
    |
    +8
    |
    +1
    |
    +11
    | Bluff +5, Concentration +12, Intimidate +12, Jump +8, Knowledge (Planes) +8 Knowledge (Arcana) +2, Knowledge (Religion) +2, Sense Motive +4, Use Magic Device +7|Willing Deformity|Touch of Fear

10th|Thrall of Orcus|
    +7
    |
    +8
    |
    +2
    |
    +11
    |Bluff +5, Concentration +13, Intimidate +13, Jump +11, Knowledge (Planes) +8 Knowledge (Arcana) +2, Knowledge (Religion) +2, Sense Motive +4, Use Magic Device +7|-|Demonwings

11th|Thrall of Orcus|
    +8
    |
    +9
    |
    +2
    |
    +12
    |Bluff +5, Concentration +14, Intimidate +14, Jump +14, Knowledge (Planes) +8 Knowledge (Arcana) +2, Knowledge (Religion) +2, Sense Motive +4, Use Magic Device +7|Deformity Obese|Massive Girth, The Dead walk

12th| Thrall of Orcus|
    +9
    |
    +9
    |
    +2
    |
    +12
    |Bluff +5, Concentration +15, Intimidate +15, Jump +15, Knowledge (Planes) +8 Knowledge (Arcana) +3, Knowledge (Religion) +3, Sense Motive +4, Use Magic Device +7|Deformity (Tall)|Summon minor Undead

13th|Thrall of Orcus|
    +10
    |
    +10
    |
    +3
    |
    +13
    |Bluff +5, Concentration +16, Intimidate +16, Jump +16, Knowledge (Planes) +8 Knowledge (Arcana) +4, Knowledge (Religion) +4, Sense Motive +4, Use Magic Device +7|-|Pallor of Death

14th|Thrall of Orcus|
    +11
    |
    +10
    |
    +3
    |
    +13
    |Bluff +5, Concentration +17, Intimidate +17, Jump +17, Knowledge (Planes) +8 Knowledge (Arcana) +5, Knowledge (Religion) +5, Sense Motive +4, Use Magic Device +7|-|Demonwings (at will), Eldritch blast 4d6

15th|Thrall of Orcus|
    +12
    |
    +11
    |
    +3
    |
    +14
    |Bluff +5, Concentration +18, Intimidate +18, Jump +18, Knowledge (Planes) +8 Knowledge (Arcana) +6, Knowledge (Religion) +6, Sense Motive +4, Use Magic Device +7|Imperious Command|Death Touch

16th|Thrall of Orcus|
    +13
    |
    +11
    |
    +4
    |
    +14
    |Bluff +5, Concentration +19, Intimidate +19, Jump +19, Knowledge (Planes) +8 Knowledge (Arcana) +7, Knowledge (Religion) +7, Sense Motive +4, Use Magic Device +7|-|Summon Major Undead

17th|Thrall of Orcus|
    +14
    |
    +12
    |
    +4
    |
    +15
    |Bluff +5, Concentration +20, Intimidate +20, Jump +20, Knowledge (Planes) +8 Knowledge (Arcana) +8, Knowledge (Religion) +8, Sense Motive +4, Use Magic Device +7|-|Summon Nightwing, Flee The Scene

18th|Demonbinder|
    +15
    |
    +13
    |
    +4
    |
    +16
    |Bluff +5, Concentration +21, Intimidate +21, Jump +20, Knowledge (Planes) +8 Knowledge (Arcana) +8, Knowledge (Religion) +8, Sense Motive +4, Use Magic Device +10|Planar Familiar (Quasit)|DR 2/good, Eldritch blast 5d6

19th|Demonbinder|
    +15
    |
    +13
    |
    +5
    |
    +16
    |Bluff +5, Concentration +22, Intimidate +22, Jump +20, Knowledge (Planes) +8 Knowledge (Arcana) +8, Knowledge (Religion) +8, Sense Motive +4, Use Magic Device +13|-|Resistance to electricity 5, Relentless Dispelling

20th|Demonbinder|
    +16
    |
    +14
    |
    +5
    |
    +17
    |Bluff +5, Concentration +23, Intimidate +23, Jump +20, Knowledge (Planes) +8 Knowledge (Arcana) +8, Knowledge (Religion) +8, Sense Motive +4, Use Magic Device +16|-|Eldritch blast 6d6, Vitriolic Blast

[/table]

Invocations
    Invocations: Sickening Blast, Baleful Utterance, Eldritch Glaive, the Dead walk, Flee The Scene, Vitriolic Blast
    Maneuvers
    Maneuvers: Sudden leap(Martial study), Action before thought, Moment of perfect Mind, Wall of Blades
    Stance: Leading the Charge
    Spells
    Forbidden schools: Enchantement, Abjuration
    0 Level: all
    1 Level: Identify, Silent Image, Enlarge Person, Cause Fear, Grease, Obscuring mist

Coming home
    Spoiler
    Show

Hundreds of animated Skeletons already strayed through the city. Finally Jot's master had animated every single corpse. Laughing he watched over his latest creation. For some time now the Quasit served his master in Orcus name, but still he couldn't figure him out. His appearance was hideous. A borderline giant being 7 ½ feet tall and fat beyond believe, he would be hideous to look at even without the white facepaint and his jester outfit. When hosting a demon his appearance becomes even more hideous. When Jot first saw his new master, he thought he was punished, although he couldn't figure out what for. It didn't take him long though to see that Dobluth was no fool. In fact he was terrible to look at and only the most curageous enemies didn't run from him.
    The Quasit followed his master invisible, while Dobluth walked to the middle of the now extinct drow enclave. „Master Dobluth, may I ask, why we came down here in the first place?“ His master turned and grinned. „Jot, have you ever asked yourself what Dobluth means?“ The Quasit shrugged: „Not really.“ „Well, then let me just tell you this: I was born down here. Remember the priestess i killed last? She is my sister. Used to beat the crap out of me. As basically everyone in this town.“ Jot finally realized why his new master looked that way. His sister was gorgeous, white long breaded hair, black skin. Dobluth was bald, pianted his face white and tried his hardest to look hideous. "Hatred runs deep", Jot muttered. Dobluth bowed down and picked up a holy symbol of Lolth. „You know what that is?“, he asked Jot. Jot nodded. The symbol shattered in his masters hand. „Let's find all of them.“ Jot frowned. „You gotta be kidding me“, he thought to himself. „While you are at it,“ his master added laughing, „maybe you find a drow - abyssal dictionary and find out what Dobluth means.“

Breakdown
    Spoiler
    Show

Level 1-3
    Every level a different class. Sickening blast has some synergy with carrion stench and is therefor picked over frightful blast. The Wizard uses two variants: the first to get a fighter bonus feat and pick up Martial study (sudden leap) as it will very likely be a maneuver you don't need to survive and it doesn't hurt that much not to be able to refresh it. The second variant empowers animate dead whick you will pick up later. Warblade finally is your lifesaver. Your AC is close to nonexistent. Your reflex save is nonexistent. Your will save is okay but not great.

Level 4-7
    Straight warlock into demonbinder. As soon as you hit level 7 you can use wands without ever being in danger of losing a charge. Demonbinder improves versatility a lot although the full round action to bind the demon hurts. The babau will very likely be a favourite to improve eldritch blast damage and get sneak attack. Vrock (improved damage on eldritch blast and possibly deafened) and Glabrezu (true seeing) are the contenders once you have enough damnation points. Everything else is rather situational. If you can afford it a Fearsome Enchantement on your Armor would allow you to use demoralize as a move action freeing up your standard action for something else. With the pick up of eldritch glaive Dobluths strategy is pretty simple. Debuff in the beginning, then use full round actions to deal the necessary damage and deliver further debuffs, while keeping a distance.

Level 8-12
    Finally Orcus has chosen us. Carrion stench is an untyped penalty which is rather nice. The Save DC will get better when you get fat at level 11. To further increase your range you get tall too. If you can prepare for a fight, enlarge person and this with eldritch glaive means your nonexistent AC isn't that dangerous. The dead walk allows you to animate tons of undead who all don't mind that you are with them. At level 12 you can summon some more help once per day. When charging all of those within 60 feet gain a nice damage buff because of your martial stance. Due to your overweight you yourself would never try such a foolish thing as charging though. All in all level 12 might be a „sweetspot“.

Level 13-17
    Pallor of death adds another fear effect to your arsenal. By this point you should maybe read the fear handbook. Helps a lot with managing your fear effects. Although Imperious Command makes things rather easy at level 15. At the same time you can now always use your standard action for a death touch at slightly improved range (once again Enlarge Person is a must have buff). Dobluth doesn't care which Vampire or Ghost joins his rampage. Although he'd love a guy able to use spellcraft, as he solely relies on the identify spell. A Flanking buddy charger/pouncer is also acceptable. The Nightwing Summon is great, but once a week means you will probably never dare to use it.

Level 18-20
    The last levels give multiple very important things: BAB 16, vitriolic blast to bypass SR, a familiar to abuse use magic device and a decent damage buff on eldritch blast. Moreover a very annoying dispel option.

Things to check with your DM
    Spoiler
    Show

While Dobluth doesn't rely on questionable stuff, you need to be a lesser drow. As all „lesser“ races this may cause issues. The only other option is LA buy off and the regular drow. Giving up 2 levels would hurt Dobluth a lot and I cannot recommend it.

Sources
    Spoiler
    Show

Leser Drow: Player's Guide to Faerun.
    Warlock: Complete Arcane
    Wizard: PHB
    Necromancer Variant and Fighter feat variant: Unearthed Arcana
    Warblade, Martial Study: Tome of Battle
    Deformity(Tall): Heroes of Horror
    Imperious Command, Demonbinder, Fearsome Armor: drow of the underdark
    Planar Familiar: Planar Handbook
    The Rest: Book of vile darkness

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

He's riding the Highway To Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Bragg
    Derek "Baelfire" Bragg

The Tale of Metal
    Spoiler
    Show

Host: Welcome back to DoomTV. We've got an exciting show planned for you today, with Derek "Baelfire" Bragg, the mind behind the band Midnight Ruin, here to talk about his new album, Everlost, and how he got his start. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Derek Bragg!

*Applause as the heavy metal legend flies down onto the set amid pre-recorded strains of the Everlost title track. He folds his wings back and thrusts a fist in the air amidst thunderous applause. Finally, after a few moments, he takes a seat as the cheers subside.*

Host: That's quite an entrance! We're glad to have you here today. Let's talk about this new album of yours, Everlost. I understand that this album is special to you. Can you tell us a little about that?

Baelfire: Yeah, as you know Midnight Ruin has been topping the charts since the debut album. Everlost has two new things going for it. This album rocks harder than any album has ever rocked before, and it's cover art.

Host: Cover art? What's special about it?

Baelfire: The Lord of Metal himself agreed to appear on the album cover. Everyone knows that Orcus is ****ing Metal as hell, and I dedicated the album to him by naming it after his personal fortress. This is only the second time in history that the big guy has graced an album cover. The first time was Dio's "Master of the Moon" album, and I don't have to remind you just how hardcore that guy was.

Spoiler
    Show

Orcus recently appeared on the cover of Midnight Ruin's new album

Spoiler
    Show

Orcus' first album cover appearance

Host: That's an impressive feat, to be sure. And it seems certain that Midnight Ruin will be remembered in the annals of Metal history. If you wouldn't mind, I'm sure our viewers want to know, how did you get your start in the business?

Baelfire: Well, it's not something that just anyone can do. I was lucky, I was born with Metal in my soul and a heart blacker than the blackest black times infinity. I knew from an early age that a great destiny lay before me. I started with small gigs here and there, and an agent from the Cult of Orcus heard me playing one night down at a local pub. After that, things really started to fall into place for me. Gigs, money, fame, groupies, you name it. I've never looked back, or regretted a moment of it. I even got inducted into the Cult. What a ****ed up party that was! Music, drugs, I killed a poser on a pile of ****ing skulls, and the groupies ... they weren't just mind-blowing, know what I'm saying?

Host: Speaking of that night, you've caught more than a little flack from various religious groups about it, haven't you? In fact, the Church of Pelor has publicly denounced you claiming that some of those groupies were ... less than living. How do you respond to that?

Baelfire: I'll tell you how I respond to that. First: **** you. Second: **** them too. Third: You snort as many lines of powdered cockatrice as I have, you'll **** pretty much anything.

Host: Ha! Well, that's all we have time for. Thanks for being on our show, and good luck with your new album. Ladies and gentlemen, be sure to pick up Midnight Ruin's new album Everlost! Available in stores October 31st!

The Technical Crap
    Spoiler
    Show
    Derek "Baelfire" Bragg
    Silverbrow Human Bard 3/Warblade 2/Thrall of Orcus 10/Dirgesinger 5

1st|Bard 1|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Balance 4, Bluff 4, Concentration 4, Intimidate (2), Knowledge(Arcana) 4, Knowledge(Religion) 4, Perform(Sing) 4, Perform(String Instruments) 4|Evil Brand, Thrall to a Demon|Spellcasting, Bardic Music, Bardic Knowledge, Countersong, Fascinate, Inspire Courage +1

2nd|Bard 2|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Balance 5, Bluff 5, Concentration 5, Intimidate (2.5), Knowledge(Arcana) 5, Knowledge(Religion) 5, Perform(Sing) 5, Perform(String Instruments) 5| |

3rd|Warblade 1|
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Concentration 6, Intimidate 5.5, Perform(Sing) (6)|Lichloved|Battle Clarity(Reflex Saves), Weapon Aptitude

4th|Warblade 2|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Concentration 7, Intimidate 6.5, Knowledge(Religion) (6), Perform(Sing) (7)| |Uncanny Dodge

5th|Bard 3|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Concentration 8, Intimidate (8), Perform(Sing) 8, Perform(String Instruments) 8| |Inspire Competence

6th|Thrall of Orcus 1|
    +5
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +5
    |Concentration 9, Intimidate 9, Perform(Sing) 9|Dragonfire Inspiration|+1 level of existing spellcasting class, Carrion Stench

7th|Thrall of Orcus 2|
    +6
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Concentration 10, Intimidate 10, Perform(Sing) 10| |Touch of Fear

8th|Thrall of Orcus 3|
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +4
    |
    +6
    |Concentration 11, Intimidate 11, Perform(Sing) 11| |Demon Wings

9th|Thrall of Orcus 4|
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +7
    |Concentration 12, Intimidate 12, Perform(Sing) 12|Martial Study(Insightful Strike)(B), Song of the Heart|Massive Girth, Bonus Feat

10th|Thrall of Orcus 5|
    +9
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +7
    |Concentration 13, Intimidate 13, Perform(Sing) 13| |Summon Minor Undead

11th|Thrall of Orcus 6|
    +10
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |
    +8
    |Concentration 14, Intimidate 14, Perform(Sing) 14| |Pallor of Death

12th|Thrall of Orcus 7|
    +11
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |
    +8
    |Concentration 15, Intimidate 15, Perform(Sing) 15|Willing Deformity(B), Requiem|Demon Wings(at will), Bonus Feat

13th|Thrall of Orcus 8|
    +12
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +9
    |Concentration 16, Intimidate 16, Perform(Sing) 16| |Death Touch

14th|Thrall of Orcus 9|
    +13
    |
    +10
    |
    +6
    |
    +9
    |Concentration 17, Intimidate 17, Perform(Sing) 17| |Summon Major Undead

15th|Dirgesinger 1|
    +13
    |
    +10
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |Concentration 18, Intimidate 18, Knowledge(Religion) 7, Perform(Sing) 18, Perform(String Instruments) 10|Supernatural Transformation|Song of Sorrow

16th|Dirgesinger 2|
    +14
    |
    +10
    |
    +6
    |
    +12
    |Concentration 19, Intimidate 19, Knowledge(Religion) 10, Perform(Sing) 19| |Song of Bolstering

17th|Dirgesinger 3|
    +15
    |
    +11
    |
    +7
    |
    +12
    |Concentration 20, Intimidate 20, Knowledge(Religion) 13, Perform(Sing) 20| |Song of Grief

18th|Dirgesinger 4|
    +16
    |
    +11
    |
    +7
    |
    +13
    |Concentration 21, Intimidate 21, Knowledge(Religion) 16, Perform(Sing) 21|Ability Focus(Death Touch)|Song of Horror

19th|Dirgesinger 5|
    +16
    |
    +11
    |
    +7
    |
    +13
    |Concentration 22, Intimidate 22, Knowledge(Religion) 19, Perform(Sing) 22| |Song of Awakening

20th|Thrall of Orcus 10|
    +17
    |
    +12
    |
    +7
    |
    +14
    |Concentration 23, Intimidate 23, Perform(Sing) (23)|Martial Study (Greater Insightful Strike)(B)|Summon Nightwing, Bonus Feat[/table]

Stats
    Starting Ability Scores:
    Str - 14
    Dex - 12
    Con - 12
    Int - 14
    Wis - 10
    Cha - 16

Final Ability Scores:
    Str - 14
    Dex - 12
    Con - 14 (+2 Massive Girth)
    Int - 14
    Wis - 10
    Cha - 21 (5 level increases)

Spells per day/Spells Known
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells per day

1st|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|3|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|3|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|3|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|3|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|3|2|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|3|2|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|3|2|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|3|2|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|3|2|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|3|2|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|3|2|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|3|2|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|3|2|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|3|2|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|3|2|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|3|2|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|3|2|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|3|2|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|3|2|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

Spells Known

1st|4|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|5|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|5|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|5|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|6|3|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|6|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|6|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|6|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|6|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|6|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|6|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|6|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|6|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|6|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|6|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|6|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|6|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|6|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|6|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|6|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

0-Level
    Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Message, Prestidigitation, Summon Instrument

1st Level
    Cause Fear, Inspirational Boost, Undersong

2nd Level
    Animate Instrument, Master's Touch

Maneuvers Known
    Spoiler
    Show

Maneuvers
    {table=head]Level|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances Known|Special

1st|-|-|-|

2nd|-|-|-|Initiator Level: 1

3rd|3|3|1|Initiator Level: 2

4th|4|3|1|Initiator Level: 3

5th|4|3|1|

6th|4|3|1|Initiator Level: 4

7th|4|3|1|

8th|4|3|1|Initiator Level: 5

9th|5|3|1|

10th|5|3|1|Initiator Level: 6

11th|5|3|1|

12th|5|3|1|Initiator Level: 7

13th|5|3|1|

14th|5|3|1|Initiator Level: 8

15th|5|3|1|

16th|5|3|1|Initiator Level: 9

17th|5|3|1|

18th|5|3|1|Initiator Level: 10

19th|5|3|1|

20th|6|3|1|Initiator Level: 11[/table]

1st
    Moment of Perfect Mind(Diamond Mind), Sapphire Nightmare Blade(Diamond Mind), Stone Bones(Stone Dragon), Leading the Charge Stance(White Raven)

2nd
    Action Before Thought(Diamond Mind)

3rd
    Insightful Strike(Diamond Mind)

6th
    Greater Insightful Strike(Diamond Mind)

What it Means to be Metal
    Spoiler
    Show

Level 5
    "Feel the danger, see the glory."

Baelfire is a badass musician, but mostly undiscovered at this point in his career. The power of Metal flows through his veins, and he can inspire audiences (allies) to kick some ass, or rock the **** out with Bardic Music and Leading the Charge. He's no stranger to violence, either. He can dish out the pain and take it with Sapphire Nightmare Blade and Stone Bones. His bardic spells are all highly useful to him. His 0-level spells ensure he puts on a stage performance for the ages, and Summon Instrument means he can always call his guitar from the depths of hell if he needs to educate the stupid masses in the ways of Metal. It also means he can smash his guitar across some poser's face, free of charge. Cause Fear, coupled with his Intimidate skill (and boosted by Evil Brand) means that only those with Metal in their hearts can deal with his brutal presence (and Cause Fear is a Necromancy spell). Inspirational Boost is there for when he wants to crank his performance up to 11, and Undersong allows him to Unleash The Metal on his foes later on. For now, Undersong lets him use his performance skill instead of concentration for the save maneuvers to deflect harmful spells and shake of mind controlling effects of The Man with The Power of Metal.

He's at home smashing face with a greataxe, or shredding on his ax.

Level 10
    "Hear the thunder of heavy metal."

Metal, noise, blood, and fire, tell me what you most desire. Baelfire has now dedicated himself to Orcus, the most Metal demon lord around. There are several high points here. The addition of Dragonfire Inspiration, Song of the Heart, and 2nd level spells means that Baelfire can drape his audience with the tools of destruction. Animate Instrument means that he can double down on his Bardic Music to get both Dragonfire Inspiration and Inspire Courage going at the same time, and keep them up for as long as needed. Song of the Heart increases Baelfire's Inspire Courage bonus, making it even more Metal. Baelfire has also learned one of the secrets of Metal. Similar to the save maneuvers, Insightful Strike (readied instead of Stone Bones) lets him substitute the damage roll for an attack with a Concentration skill check, and Undersong lets him substitute a Perform check any time he would make a Concentration skill check. That means Baelfire can now rock so hard, he can kill his enemies by Unleashing the Metal. This usage is also the only time he calls on his patron for aid, as Thrall to a Demon can give him a 1/day boost to a skill check, and the Master's Touch spell can bump that up to a total +5. The benefits don't stop there, Summon Minor Undead gives him his own bodyguards or bandmates, Touch of Fear frees up his spells for more Inspirational Boosts or Undersongs, and Carrion Stench makes the stupid masses more susceptible to his Fascinate ability, as well as weakening those who don't have The Metal in their veins. A number of physical changes have happened to Baelfire, as his connection to The Metal grows stronger, he begins to look more like his patron. He sprouts demonic wings, and his body swells as it tries to contain the power inside.

Level 15 "Sweet Spot"
    "I will crank you up, you can't bring me down."

Baelfire's career continues to skyrocket. Pallor of Death gives Baelfire quick access to stage makeup, or a quick disguise if he wants to avoid being mobbed by lame groupies. His physical changes are now complete, as he has demonic wings whenever he wants them, and the Willing Deformity feat means that the power that has bloated his form now strengthens his body, and provides an extra boost to his Intimidate skill. Orcus has granted him two incredible abilities, Death Touch and Summon Major Undead. Death Touch is potent in his hands, and has two very significant boosts by this point. The first is that it is now an (Su) ability and not subject to SR, thanks to Supernatural Transformation. The second is the Doomspeak feat (-10 to saves), which is possessed by the ghost or vampire Bard that Baelfire summons with Summon Major Undead. Between these two boosts (and a further -2 to saves from Carrion Stench), it is highly unlikely that anything that can be affected by Death Touch will survive it. Requiem gives Baelfire the ability to rock so hard that the undead take notice, and Song of Sorrow provides provides additional debuffing, should it be necessary.

Level 20
    "Metal will never die."

Baelfire's black heart now pumps The Metal through his veins. It has become his lifesblood. He is now capable of shredding such a sweet solo, he can cause the dead to rise from their very graves and rock out. Baelfire has picked up Ability Focus, to make his Death Touch even more unstoppable, and Greater Insightful Strike to annihilate his foes with pure Metal. Dirgesinger provides him with some much need extra Bardic Music uses, as well as a host of brutal new songs. The Song of Bolstering helps keep his undead groupies in the fight. Song of Grief gives some ample crowd control. Song of Horror gives some further debuffing power, and the awesome Song of Awakening raises the dead, as well as raising hell. His high BAB means he can curbstomp posers all night long. Lastly, Orcus grants him the use of an awesome Nightwing once per week. While Baelfire usually uses the Nightwing as a tour bus to travel between gigs, he also employs it to wreak death and destruction. Its aura further bolsters his other summoned undead, and it is capable of bringing for its own minions, or throwing out a Greater Dispel Magic or Finger of Death. Truly, Derek "Baelfire" Bragg is a heavy metal legend.

Inspiration
    Spoiler
    Show

Player's Handbook (Bard)
    Libris Mortis (Dirgesinger, Requiem)
    Tome of Battle (Maneuvers, Warblade, Martial Study)
    Dragon Magic (Dragonfire Inspiration)
    Book of Vile Darkness (Willing Deformity)
    Eberron Campaign Setting (Song of the Heart)
    Champions of Ruin (Doomspeak)
    Monster Manual (Ability Focus)
    Savage Species (Supernatural Transformation)
    Spell Compendium (Inspirational Boost, Master's Touch, Undersong)
    Complete Scoundrel (Animate Instrument)
    Last edited by Kuulvheysoon; 2013-09-23 at 08:36 PM.