Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: League of Legends LII: Sin of the Blind Monk

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    OMG vs LD.

The WTF, rly?:
    Spoiler
    Show
    OMG ran: Veigar/Cass/Yorick/Nidalee/Aatrox. And won.
    Ah, thanks.

Spoiler
    Show
    At first glance, I was like, "Alright? Those all seem like good champs..." Then I tried matching them to lanes and it didn't work. I'm guessing Yorick top, Aatrox jungle, and... never mind. I have no idea what would go mid/bot. I'll have to watch to see that.

So hopefully someone else feels more like counting and doing basic math than me. What percentage of total champions have been picked during group stage?

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ettin in the Playground

Champion viability spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show
    Teemo used at worlds, is viable
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

Ask blogs: Screwball and Derpy | Gummy

3. - Top - End - #693

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosOS View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    TSM disrespect level over 9000
    Spoiler
    Show
    See, this is what I mentioned earlier when I said Mineski had the kind of unique opportunity to do something really weird/fun.

It really doesn't matter whether TSM wins or loses this game. There's literally no way for them to effect who gets out of group A. So in a way, why not have some fun and mix it up?

But at the same time, it's seen as disrespecting GG.EU. Because Mineski is such underdogs, they can pull something EXTREMELY cheesy and unlikely to work, and it's a fan favorite. Everyone loves it. TSM has fun and it's seen as just disrespectful when really, I don't think it should be. They've accepted that straight up, the result of this game DOES NOT MATTER. So why not just say, "Hey. This is a video game where the result doesn't matter. Why don't we have fun with it, both for ourselves and the fans?"

4. - Top - End - #694
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Its a very common theme in all sports when matches late in the season don't particularly matter for teams to try new strats, put in subs, or, in the case of League, try unconventional champions or switch up the usual roles. I don't see why its disrespectful. Fnatic, OMG, and Mineski all did similar things.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Titan in the Playground

OMG vs. SKT

Watch this game. Just, watch it.

Spoiler
    Show
    That push up mid lane by SKT is the best play I have ever seen.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ettin in the Playground

Quarters picks:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Royal vs OMG - the two teams from China
    Cloud 9 vs Fnatic - the US and EU champs
    Sword vs Gambit - boo, they could have had a Korea drama series
    Bears vs SKT
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2013-09-22 at 02:08 AM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

Ask blogs: Screwball and Derpy | Gummy

7. - Top - End - #697
    Colossus in the Playground

I don't get it. We get double round robin groupstages for 40 games total, where the best teams don't even play. Then we get best of 3 single elimination brackets with two weeks left? Really, Riot? Why not at least double elimination or something?

I'm sure people would love to see the best (or top seeded) teams from each region playing and god, now it's possible e.g. Cloud 9 plays 2 whole games in Worlds and loses their quarters without us really even getting to gauge how they match up globally. 40 games for Group Stages with everyone facing everyone and then a total of maximum of 12 games for Quarters, 10 for Semis (assuming they're at least Bo5) and 5 for finals.

So Group Stage has almost twice as many games as the brackets combined assuming every series goes the full length! Way to not let us see the "top" teams playing (I'm just happy EU didn't get that free Quarters spot so we got to see Fnatic playing, and that SKT T1 and OMG didn't win their respective regions so we got to see them playing too).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nadevoc View Post

So hopefully someone else feels more like counting and doing basic math than me. What percentage of total champions have been picked during group stage?
    68 champions have been used. 114 were available to be picked (Lucian was locked). However, some of the picks were in games that didn't matter, so you can draw whatever conclusions you want.

http://lol.gamepedia.com/Season_3_Wo...Bans_Statistic

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Quarters picks:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Royal vs OMG - the two teams from China
    Cloud 9 vs Fnatic - the US and EU champs
    Sword vs Gambit - boo, they could have had a Korea drama series
    Bears vs SKT
    They should have avoided inter-regional quarter finals. We've already seen this exact match in the Regional finals.
    Last edited by Joran; 2013-09-22 at 06:35 AM.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    I don't get it. We get double round robin groupstages for 40 games total, where the best teams don't even play. Then we get best of 3 single elimination brackets with two weeks left? Really, Riot? Why not at least double elimination or something?

I'm sure people would love to see the best (or top seeded) teams from each region playing and god, now it's possible e.g. Cloud 9 plays 2 whole games in Worlds and loses their quarters without us really even getting to gauge how they match up globally. 40 games for Group Stages with everyone facing everyone and then a total of maximum of 12 games for Quarters, 10 for Semis (assuming they're at least Bo5) and 5 for finals.

So Group Stage has almost twice as many games as the brackets combined assuming every series goes the full length! Way to not let us see the "top" teams playing (I'm just happy EU didn't get that free Quarters spot so we got to see Fnatic playing, and that SKT T1 and OMG didn't win their respective regions so we got to see them playing too).
    Riot has said time and time again that they don't like Double Elim for whatever super retarded reason they have. I agree: I think its pretty silly that Najin and C9 are likely going to be out of this LAN after 2-3 games while we've seen Fnatic play 8 games.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nadevoc View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    See, this is what I mentioned earlier when I said Mineski had the kind of unique opportunity to do something really weird/fun.

It really doesn't matter whether TSM wins or loses this game. There's literally no way for them to effect who gets out of group A. So in a way, why not have some fun and mix it up?

But at the same time, it's seen as disrespecting GG.EU. Because Mineski is such underdogs, they can pull something EXTREMELY cheesy and unlikely to work, and it's a fan favorite. Everyone loves it. TSM has fun and it's seen as just disrespectful when really, I don't think it should be. They've accepted that straight up, the result of this game DOES NOT MATTER. So why not just say, "Hey. This is a video game where the result doesn't matter. Why don't we have fun with it, both for ourselves and the fans?"
    To me, the difference is that Mineski looked like they were testing a new strategy against a great team they probably weren't going to beat normally. This is a strategy that they had seen before, and I think had actually been beaten by.

TSM didn't look like they were trying anything new. They looked like they were screwing off against a weaker team. Seriously, AD Teemo? Phage on Thresh?

TSM isn't good enough that they can just disrespect opponents like that - they need all the practice they can get if they want to go anywhere next year.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

11. - Top - End - #701

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    To me, the difference is that Mineski looked like they were testing a new strategy against a great team they probably weren't going to beat normally. This is a strategy that they had seen before, and I think had actually been beaten by.

TSM didn't look like they were trying anything new. They looked like they were screwing off against a weaker team. Seriously, AD Teemo? Phage on Thresh?

TSM isn't good enough that they can just disrespect opponents like that - they need all the practice they can get if they want to go anywhere next year.
    Bleh, TSM just wanted GG.eu to have a win to prove they're better than Mineski and thus Group A was harder.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

You're assuming that TSM cared about that match. I think they must have been really depressed about not getting into the Quarter finals and Regi just said "**** it, imma teemo."

having said that: Playing AD teemo and then forcing Dyrus onto support so he can steal CS and build phage isn't a winning strategy, as support is traditionally the ONLY ROLE that Dyrus really isn't confident in.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there somewhere I can watch the OMG vs SKT match last night? The feed on the site just says, "This live event is over", and I don't see anywhere on youtube and google just brings up their first match.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Banned

SKT vs. OMG can be found here, via Leaguepedia.

Quote Originally Posted by toasty View Post
    You're assuming that TSM cared about that match.
    ...No, I think he's assuming that TSM didn't care about that match, and made it obvious that they didn't care, in a manner disrespectful to their opponent.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Ettin in the Playground

Something that just occurred to me is that a potentially useful stat to show in postgame in addition to KDA is how many of a given player's kills were assisted. Not only would it complete the measure of how well the team worked together, but it might induce carry players to brag less. Like, right now we know how many assists the jungler got (if he's doing his job it should be plenty), but to know who he assisted might be instructive for measuring where he did the most good (i.e. did top/mid snowball because he outplayed his lane opponent, or because the jungler showed up a lot, etc). Thoughts?
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

16. - Top - End - #706

So. Let's talk about CLG.

Spoiler
    Show
    Since Vulcun and TSM are out of Worlds, and I really don't care for C9, Worlds have become ignorable for me.

Things I liked in the summer spit:

Chauster back into support, and becoming a good Thresh.
    Nien diversifying the toplane for CLG.
    L1nk being allowed to play playmaking champs
    Doublelift being freed up and not having to be topnotch every game to carry CLG.

Things I didn't like:
    BigfatLP ALWAYS being tanky out the jungle. Yes, it gave CLG a touchstone each game. No matter what, Bigfat would always be tanky. I feel that it limited the team; since Bigfat was always tank, it always felt bad to put kills on him.

Nien's toplane picks kind of fell into Malphite and Zac by the end of the split. He has the ability to be a third threat on the team, but the champs he's picking simply don't cut it. I actually liked the Susan pick for him in the playoffs vs. TSM; allowed him to be that tanky guy but also become a huge threat. I would LOVE to see his Elise come back in full force as well.

Honestly, if we give Nien a bit more time to mature in the toplane (and don't lose Doublelift to a Korean team; he has said that he wants to play in Korea before), CLG will have their best roster quite possibly ever going into S4.
    I'm mostly here for Warframe and a tiny bit of RWBY.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    ...No, I think he's assuming that TSM didn't care about that match, and made it obvious that they didn't care, in a manner disrespectful to their opponent.
    Because they lost? Fnatic, OMG and Miniski all did the same. No one seems to give two ****s that Yellowstar shen is **** and Xpeke spent the entire game trying to 5v1. No one seems to care that OMG didn't pick an ADC. Everyone seems to love Miniski even though they failed to win a single match at Worlds and 100% should have been replaced with a Chinese or Korean team (remember: Korea only has 3 spots because they won All-Stars).

I mean, I think what TSM did was pretty stupid, primarily because there was money on the line, but it was no more disrespectful than what Fnatic did, certainly, and no one seems to care because Fnatic won (against who I suspect is actually the weakest team at Worlds, though its hard to truly tell).

18. - Top - End - #708
    Orc in the Playground

Because they lost? Fnatic, OMG and Miniski all did the same. No one seems to give two ****s that Yellowstar shen is **** and Xpeke spent the entire game trying to 5v1. No one seems to care that OMG didn't pick an ADC. Everyone seems to love Miniski even though they failed to win a single match at Worlds and 100% should have been replaced with a Chinese or Korean team (remember: Korea only has 3 spots because they won All-Stars).

I mean, I think what TSM did was pretty stupid, primarily because there was money on the line, but it was no more disrespectful than what Fnatic did, certainly, and no one seems to care because Fnatic won (against who I suspect is actually the weakest team at Worlds, though its hard to truly tell).
    I've seen most of both the Mineski and GG members in solo queue. For what it's worth, GG players were much worse. They also, and this is worth more, look a lot worse to me in the games that they've played against the various teams. Mineski almost took down Vulcun, and GG just sort of got continually dunked.

Maybe this whole teams not caring about matches issue wouldn't be a problem if Riot had structured the tournament like they even vaguely knew what they were doing. The good teams are likely eliminated after one match? Mineski plays 8 games? Seriously?

19. - Top - End - #709
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Laudandus View Post
    Maybe this whole teams not caring about matches issue wouldn't be a problem if Riot had structured the tournament like they even vaguely knew what they were doing. The good teams are likely eliminated after one match? Mineski plays 8 games? Seriously?
    This has been my primary frustration. I'm honestly puzzled as to why Riot continues to push single elimination when everyone seems to praise TI3's GroupStage+Double Elim format (though the Bo1s in Loser Bracket seem iffy), everyone has nothing but good memories from IPL5, and most of us remember Season 2 for that legendary WE v CLG game, not necessarily for what we considered pretty good brackets (TSM losing to Frost in the Quarter Finals, for instance, was pretty lame, and C9 is gonna do the exact same thing vs Fnatic I bet).

I still am confused why Riot continues to give really bad teams slots at worlds. Mineski wasn't completely terrible, nor was GG.EU, but they are not world class teams. Hell, GG.EU tried to qualify for LCS.EU and failed. Why are they at Worlds? Everyone seems to love Mineski, but I can't get over the fact that if their slot had been given to, say, PE from China, or KTB from Korea, or hell, EG from Europe, we would have had better quality games.

Season 1 it was kinda okay to see the 2 Asian teams get wrecked, as I really had no idea how strong they were. Season 2 Saigon Jokers actually managed to at least get a legitimate win against what was a very tilted Dignitas, and to be fair, we didn't have stupid **** like Gaming Gear, a team that attempted to qualify for LCS, then somehow get into a "wildcard" tournament for regions "not represented by LCS" (let that sink in for a moment . . .) to win (which at the very least shows us the quality of most of the international teams. Even teams like Pain Gaming are still sub-LCS quality, and let's not even point out how disappointing Lyon was. Seeiya y u suk pls), and then get into Worlds where their only victory A) doesn't matter for them B) is vs a tilted, trolling TSM.

LCS has been the best thing that has happened to LoL, IMO. A large amount of high quality LoL games has made me really enjoy it as an Esport. I think the storylines in EU and NA have been pretty good, and there has been a lot of drama with Curse's run through the Regular Season, then C9's dominance, and of course EU being the crazy mess that it was last split. But the lack of international matches, and the lack of the visibility of foreign leagues (hopefully with PapaSmithy and PastryTime casting VODs I'll be able to keep up with the LPL easier), I've been disappointed this season. The International Exhibition at MLG in the Spring was nice, but Curse, Gambit and Dig all pointed out how they didn't prepare, and how Gambit actually got sick because they had to travel from Germany to America to Germany again with basically no days off in 3 weeks.

All-Stars was nice, but I hate the idea of an all-stars game, and I think Worlds is proving that basing seeding off of All-Stars is the most retarded thing Riot could have invented. EU teams do the worst at All-Stars, and yet 2 out of 3 get out of groups compared to 1 for 1 from Korea (If Dade doesn't lose his job I'll be shocked) and a 0 for 2 from NA.

I love LCS, but I wish there was a way that LCS could be, at the very least, more like WCS (Starcraft II pro league) as far as how there is a big international tournament at the end of every split, and not All-Stars, actual international stuff. WCS has managed 3 Seasons in the time that LCS has done 2 (and WSC started late).

20. - Top - End - #710
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McDougal View Post

Things I liked in the summer spit:

Chauster back into support

and becoming a good Thresh.
    He went from being appalingly bad to being mediocre. He played Nami better than he played Thresh, and Thresh is too highly contested; Chauster is not Edward, Xpecial, Patoy, LemonNation or Krepo on Thresh.
    Also Chauster is this guy who obviously has an opinion on everything in CLG and is lauded as a great theorycrafter and shotcaller but if he's calling the shots then he's screwing that up really hard as of recent.
    I might be wrong but he seems to be out of his element as of late.
    Also Chauster was the best on Alistar and Blitzcrank, and both of them aren't picked much anymore. By correlation, I think he should learn Leona.
    Nien diversifying the toplane for CLG.
    Yeah, he's a good addition to the team. Certainly broke up the whole "Doublelift protection" comp.
    L1nk being allowed to play playmaking champs
    Sure, he's pretty damn good mechanically, on par with mancloud I'd say
    Doublelift being freed up and not having to be topnotch every game to carry CLG.
    Honestly though I don't quite get this one. CLG's teamcomps now don't revolve around protecting Doublelift because teams have proven over and over that it's easy to shut down a 2-threat team. Also, Doublelift is an amazing player when it comes to mechanics, don't get me wrong, but a lot of his fame comes from the fact that he gets into bad situations that he then, amazingly enough, manages to turn around. Sometimes though it backfires and screws the whole thing up. I don't think anyone underperformed as hard as Doublelift when CLG failed to qualify for Worlds - he just choked and mispositioned.

More sensible and passive AD carries that are overshadowed by the team's star players (Genja, Sneaky) without getting caught over and over (Yellowpete) seem to work out better in the end. That, or Doublelift could just learn not to facecheck and overextend so much.
    Things I didn't like:
    BigfatLP ALWAYS being tanky out the jungle. Yes, it gave CLG a touchstone each game. No matter what, Bigfat would always be tanky. I feel that it limited the team; since Bigfat was always tank, it always felt bad to put kills on him.
    Honestly the way the game is played right now implies that the jungler has very little budget for himself (the camps not granting as much gold as the lane) and the best way to utilize small budget is to build cost-effective tanky items since resistances come into play earlier than damage and can allow to deal more damage. Bigfat's actually a pretty good tank, knows when to pull out before dying and can take aggro very, very convincingly. Of course, he's also proven to be a great playmaker when he was CLG's midlane, but still, he doesn't tend to play full tanks. Stuff like Nocturne is his forte, and Nocturne has plenty of natural damage even when built with the tried-and-true Locket+A.Golem+Tabi core itemset. Maybe he could pick up Lee Sin.
    Nien's toplane picks kind of fell into Malphite and Zac by the end of the split. He has the ability to be a third threat on the team, but the champs he's picking simply don't cut it. I actually liked the Susan pick for him in the playoffs vs. TSM; allowed him to be that tanky guy but also become a huge threat. I would LOVE to see his Elise come back in full force as well.
    This is notable - Nien himself said he'd rather play playmaking champs - but honestly, Malphite and Zac are very strong champions, Zac being a must pick or must ban; Zac along with Zed prove time and time again to be ridiculously dangerous champions, often being the bane of certain teams (when Gambit doesn't ban Zac, a puppy dies). I don't think it's a case of Nien being shoehorned; sometimes those picks are just the best.
    Honestly, if we give Nien a bit more time to mature in the toplane (and don't lose Doublelift to a Korean team; he has said that he wants to play in Korea before), CLG will have their best roster quite possibly ever going into S4.
    CLG was supposed to have "the best roster ever" year after year and still didn't deliver though. Also I don't think Doublelift will migrate to Korea because he's already spoken a lot about his loyalty to CLG, plus I don't think he speaks the language.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2013-09-22 at 12:46 PM.
    Mordekaiser for president.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Troll in the Playground

So. Let's talk about CLG.
    why? that team sucks.
    LCS has been the best thing that has happened to LoL, IMO. A large amount of high quality LoL games has made me really enjoy it as an Esport.
    LCS
    high quality LoL games
    Kappa
    But the lack of international matches, and the lack of the visibility of foreign leagues (hopefully with PapaSmithy and PastryTime casting VODs I'll be able to keep up with the LPL easier), I've been disappointed this season. The International Exhibition at MLG in the Spring was nice, but Curse, Gambit and Dig all pointed out how they didn't prepare, and how Gambit actually got sick because they had to travel from Germany to America to Germany again with basically no days off in 3 weeks.
    OGN is extremely accessible and LPL has been at least watchable for the longest time. Those are the main two foreign leagues that matter, so I don't really see the problem. Oh, right, and OGN's format is still the best.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laudandus View Post
    I ~kinda~ agree(in theory) with your sentiment that the good players and teams should have been given more opportunities to showcase their abilities. But seriously man, the main point of a tournament is to establish who the 'best' 2-3 teams are, not to showcase. Claiming Riot has doesn't even "vaguely know what they are doing" because they're not prioritizing a tertiary goal is ridiculous and horribly negative. Especially when they've already implemented the LCS this season in order to better showcase good teams; they're clearly working towards making competitive League more visible with a higher density of gameplay.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

23. - Top - End - #713

I would actually argue that entertainment is, if not THE main point of the tourney, then at least one of the main points.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think the real point of the LCS is to make Riot money <_<

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

Is there an archive with these games I can watch?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

26. - Top - End - #716
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    I ~kinda~ agree(in theory) with your sentiment that the good players and teams should have been given more opportunities to showcase their abilities. But seriously man, the main point of a tournament is to establish who the 'best' 2-3 teams are, not to showcase. Claiming Riot has doesn't even "vaguely know what they are doing" because they're not prioritizing a tertiary goal is ridiculous and horribly negative. Especially when they've already implemented the LCS this season in order to better showcase good teams; they're clearly working towards making competitive League more visible with a higher density of gameplay.
    Putting aside the question of what tournament organizers should prioritize, this format does a terrible job of singling out the best teams past top 8. We nominally determined top 14 through an intense regular season already (though of course the structure of that was already questionable--half of LCS games don't matter, GG.EU on wildcard, Ozone from Champions Spring, etc.), so a structure that focuses on getting the top 8 from that and then says "fuggit" and plays out single elim doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Is there an archive with these games I can watch?
    Leaguepedia has VODs.

27. - Top - End - #717

I use LoLEventVods Subreddit for VODs; they are updated fast, list Youtube & Twitch VODs if available and overall are of good quality and spoilerfree.

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Single Elimination is completely worthless for determining best 2-3 teams though. It's fully possible the second and third best teams are knocked out in quarters by the best team. You could make an argument that might've happened with e.g. Gambit last year, but we can't verify that due to one-layered tournament tree.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2013-09-22 at 03:38 PM.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Titan in the Playground

Single Elimination is completely worthless for determining best 2-3 teams though. It's fully possible the second and third best teams are knocked out in quarters by the best team. You could make an argument that might've happened with e.g. Gambit last year, but we can't verify that due to one-layered tournament tree.
    Isn't this a problem with almost every sport? American Football has single elimination playoff rounds and baseball has best of 5 then best of 7 rounds wherein the best teams often knock out the 2nd and 3rd best far before the World Series or the Super Bowl.

I don't know of any tournament structure that both avoids worthless games and guarantees that the best 3ish teams actually make it as far as possible.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2013-09-22 at 06:01 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

29. - Top - End - #719

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Isn't this a problem with almost every sport? American Football has single elimination playoff rounds and baseball has best of 5 then best of 7 rounds wherein the best teams often knock out the 2nd and 3rd best far before the World Series of the Super Bowl.

I don't know of any tournament structure that both avoids worthless games and guarantees that the best 3ish teams actually make it as far as possible.
    Difference is, most of these sports have a season with all the teams, so you get the rough rankings from there and seedings for the final tournament are based on the season so you do get the best and the second best and the third best. Not so much when the top 4 teams from the "last season" (closest parallel) get seeded straight to eliminations without the season games, especially with random seeds.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2013-09-22 at 05:03 PM.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Isn't this a problem with almost every sport? American Football has single elimination playoff rounds and baseball has best of 5 then best of 7 rounds wherein the best teams often knock out the 2nd and 3rd best far before the World Series of the Super Bowl.

Double elim is about as close as it gets. The trouble there for Riot is that there aren't a lot of games played with 14 teams, and if they do Bo3s they'd need a lot of downtime built in to deal with high variance in game time (45 minutes for two stomps, to nearly three hours for a long set.) They could manage it with concurrent games and multiple streams, but then you can get double-booking of star games.

Or, they could do five or so games of Swiss, take the top eight from that, and do double elim from there. Almost every game matters in Swiss qualifiers.