New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Awesome New RPG

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Awesome New RPG

FNB GAMES is announcing its newest game: Beyonder. It is an awesome new pencil and paper RPG! Check out our exciting world full of never before seen races and awesome new creatures. Fully customizable characters and rule structure that is simple and elegant yet robust.

Visit www.FNBGAMES.com

or support our kickstarter at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...magine-with-us

Thanks from the FNB Games team!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Awesome New RPG

It looks really interesting, but $50 for a few PDFs is way, way too much for my tastes. Especially on an unknown new property.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Hello, and thank you for stopping by! It's always interesting to see what is new out there. I do have a few questions, though, as I do with any new system I haven't heard of before.

What makes Beyonder unique? What can I do in Beyonder that I couldn't do with another system? What is a good reason to pick up Beyonder as opposed to another RPG system out there? Is it similar to any other systems already available?

The Kickstarter video mentions a focus on the player, and "integrating the game into the world." Could you give a better description of what this means? I could think of anything from just having stats to having unique mechanics, although I don't know which is the case.

I prefer to have physical books over PDF files, but $125 for a single book (or $175 for two) is a bit too much to ask for a system that I am not familiar with at all. Even extremely large, rules-dense games aren't that expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The setting looks pretty unique, and I like the art. What's standout about the system, though? What are the "killer app" features of the game, setting the world aside? (Because there's a lot of game worlds out there which are pretty unique.)

For instance, Red Aegis caught my attention because of the cool premise of playing a game that spanned centuries. The price eventually turned me away from backing, though...I had to weigh it against my existing collection.

OVA I actually backed because there were preview materials, and the system itself was simple and fun-sounding (plus art); it also had integrated rewards with another Kickstarter--if you backed both, you got bonus content from each.

Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine grabbed my interest because the game was so radically different, but I didn't get interested until I actually got to demo the system.

So I guess what I'm saying is...what ten words sum up the uniqueness of this game?

(Side notes...it'd help if you had the game name in the thread.)
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateWench

Do you get to fight lots of secret wars?