Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Mallside VII: Darth Mall

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    Haemonomics

I love Erfworld!

"Oh certainly, my dear. Heidi, love, fetch the anti-coagulant. We use an all natural substance, derived from the Crying Leeches of the Weald. Oh no, I don't collect them, myself. I hire that out. The Weald is no place for civilized people. Have you ever been? I've only heard stories, but they're quite enough to put one off one's appetite. But the Crying Leeches are large enough that we only need two or three --"

Heidi, a pale skinned blonde woman with circles under her eyes interrupts the elderly drowpire. "Lady Rilayne, how much should I charge?"

"Oh Heidi, there you are, love. Oh, no charge. We have plenty of it, and it's for a good cause. A care package. Isn't that sweet? I should make care packages for my nieces and nephews. A lovely idea. I haven't seen Gabriel since he went back to Gul-Thudar, and who knows if he's eating properly?" She continues to prattle on, while Heidi measures out a vial of powdered Crying Leech extract and prints out a measurement chart to let Ykysa work out how much to use.

"I have not been

"That is very ge

"Where is Gul

Again Ykysa is not getting time to say anything. She tries talking to Heidi instead.

"Please mix some of it with a bottle of dryad and a bottle of kobold and mark the dryad bottle. I will make the packages myself. I do not need gift wrapping yet." Ykysa takes out a few of the rough gold coins for paying for the blood.
    I have found a RL gaming group but I'm willing to meet other GitP people nearby.
    Please send a PM or an email! _______ Tea served in a student cafe in Seattle

2. - Top - End - #782
    Troll in the Playground

Haemonomics

Talking to Heidi works much better. Heidi gets the blood - the dryad blood is clear - and adds some anti-coagulant. Of course the bottles already had some, or they'd be clotted already, but for distance travelling, it's best to be careful.

Heidi puts the shopping in a bag and makes change, all while Aunt Riley tells a story about her nephew Gabriel and the girl he used to date, but it was such a shame they couldn't have children, because Gabriel had already been turned vampire due to a vehicular accident he'd had when he was twenty. Or was it a mugging?

Heidi smiles and gestures to the door, while distracting Aunt Riley with a few questions about her other nieces and nephews. Quick! Make a run for it!
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

3. - Top - End - #783

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    Haemonomics

Talking to Heidi works much better. Heidi gets the blood - the dryad blood is clear - and adds some anti-coagulant. Of course the bottles already had some, or they'd be clotted already, but for distance travelling, it's best to be careful.

Heidi puts the shopping in a bag and makes change, all while Aunt Riley tells a story about her nephew Gabriel and the girl he used to date, but it was such a shame they couldn't have children, because Gabriel had already been turned vampire due to a vehicular accident he'd had when he was twenty. Or was it a mugging?

Heidi smiles and gestures to the door, while distracting Aunt Riley with a few questions about her other nieces and nephews. Quick! Make a run for it!
    Ykysa takes the bag and bows at the door. Then she starts walking and does not stop until she is out of Mallside!
    I have found a RL gaming group but I'm willing to meet other GitP people nearby.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Erin's Emporium

Sadly for Syela, Dorota is ringing all of Jim's "don't look like an irresponsible ass in front of your girlfriend's guardian" alarm bells, so he doesn't really catch on to it.
    "I don't really like leaving Barnabas at home alone all day, but if it's important, Ma'am, I can spare the time." he says firmly, doing his best to seem responsible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Erin's Emporium]

"I'll try to make it quick," Dorota says, entering the store and leading the pair towards the employee area. Where they will find Sizewelll standing in a corner with the stillness of a golem who has nothing better to do. He's a large, clay hominid-shaped clay figure standing at about 190 centimetres, with wide arms and legs, and a series of runes on his forehead. He's dressed in a pair of very big, baggy jeans and a white shirt. His eyes light up with a white glow when he sees the three enter.

"Hello," he rumbles. His eyes turn towards Jim with what might be curiosity, but the lack of expression on the clay face makes it hard to tell.

"Hello, Sizewell," Dorota says, with a strangely maternal expression on her face when she speaks to the golem. "This young man here is Jim. Syela, can you go help Sizewell prepare the laboratory for an experiment I want to run tomorrow?"
    [Erin's Emporium]

"Um, okay. See you in a minute, Jim." Syela frowns at Dorota and leads the way out of the room. "Come on, Sizewell. Show me what we're doing."
    Last edited by Gulaghar; 2014-01-31 at 01:03 AM.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ogre in the Playground

Erin's Emporium

Jim manages to not jump at Sizewell's sudden movement. He's quite used to it with Barnabas, even if B is only imp-sized.
    "Hello, Sizewell. Nice to meet you."
    The clothes are a nice touch. It's a nice gesture to provide constructs with clothes. He'd have given B shorts if he wasn't made with clothes colored onto his skin, and quite happy with that color scheme.
    "I'll be here, Syela. See you in a minute."
    he'll turn back to Dorota once they've gone.
    "Your golem seems very nice. I should have brought Barnabas. He's mute, sad to say, but I think he enjoys being around magic and other constructs.
    But considering your first order of business was to get Syela out of the room, I assume you want to talk to me about her. How can I help, Ma'am?"

Jim says, sincerely the whole time.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

[Erin's Emporium]

Sizewell leads Syela to the laboratory.

"Dorota Wishes To Conduct An Experiment In Which She Will Establish An Alchemical Beacon For Extraplanar Energies.

Meanwhile, Dorota sits down in front of Jim.

"Indeed. You and Syela seem to have got into some trouble together, earlier, and I would like to hear what you have to say about it."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ogre in the Playground

[Erin's Emporium]

"Extraplanar energies? What sort of extraplanar energies?" Syela asks with a touch of curiosity. She's not as into it as she would be normally, though. Not when she has no idea what's going on in the other room. If only Sizewell wasn't here. Then she'd go back and eavesdrop.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ogre in the Playground

Erin's Emporium

Jim's long ears twitch, his mouth forming a line.
    "My dad owns a winery. I had one, and exactly one, of his bottles at my house for special occasions. When I met Syela and we went out for lunch she played off the notion of the stuff when it came up in conversation, so I assumed she was from a culture where younger people are allowed to drink, and that it'd be ok for a glass at dinner. She downed the whole thing while I was cooking and got more, and even though I got rid of the bottle after that it was already too much. It turns out she's a flirty drunk, and I'm not great at saying no to that, even if I hadn't had nearly as much. She did hesitate in the end, which is what snapped me out of going along with everything she said and tell her we shouldn't. We both felt bad and I took her home.
    And then I spent a week instructing my homunculus on social cues so he can tell me when I'm being stupid.
    It was an accident and a mistake, one that we've learned from and neither are keen on repeating. "

He says, keeping eye contact the whole time save for the small-font aside. Syela might not be happy if she hears that Jim told Dorota how drunk she got, but he doesn't enjoy lying to adults who mean well. Or at least mostly. He didn't mention how she did drink on the first date. And it's not really lying to leave out that he felt so bad for those few days that he spent several of them turning into various animals to cheer himself up.
    Also, I hope Syela left her present in the front room, because a lab is no place for a stuffed toy.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Titan in the Playground

[Erin's Emporium]

Dorota's expression mellows out a little as Jim speaks. Looks like he's a somewhat responsible sort, after all.

"It's good that you avoided doing something stupid, then. Syela is a very talented girl, and I would hate to see her waste her potential because of bad decisions. I'm glad that you seem to be treating it seriously."

Sizewell, meanwhile, answers Syela, as he begins to set up strange mirror-like lenses around the lab: "I Am Not Certain. I Believe She Is Researching Immaterial Dimensions Connected To The Nexus, As She Believes Those Connected To Her Homeworld Are Too Dangerous To Draw Onto."
    Last edited by Morty; 2014-01-31 at 04:58 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ogre in the Playground

[Erin's Emporium]

"Oh come on, Sizewell. When Dorota starts talking about stuff, you should ask questions. That's how you learn you know." Syela scolds, but not particularly seriously. "Let's get whatever she needs set up, then."

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ogre in the Playground

Prof. Pi's Potions

Pi looks confused. "Strobe? That just sounds mildly annoying, not disorienting. And I fail to see how reversing gravity is non-lethal. The second they're out of range or it wears off they'll fall to their deaths! Increasing gravity might be doable, but a gravity well is going to be quite painful for someone standing at the focal point. The first and last are easy, at least."
    Prof. Pi's Potions

"At night, strobe effects ruin vision and certain patterns can even cause rapid nausea. As for reversing gravity, I only mean to a height of about twenty feet. Increasing Gravity will work instead, but perhaps only to about three times normal. Is that better?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Deep View Post
    Electronic Asylum

"I will for the fin-fin-fin RECALIBRATING SENTANCE I will for the installation, but not at this time."

She seems unaware that she said anything unusual.
    The Techno-Paladin raises an eyebrow but doesn't comment. "I'll need it to only work on people carrying badges or wrist bands or the like keyed to the teleporters. Oh, and do you have a big multiplayer game system? Something durable and preferably self-powering."

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ogre in the Playground

Prof. Pi's Potions

The rat-man shrugs.
    "It's all doable for me. Although I'd honestly turn down the floating bit. I mean, people used to die all the time from falling off horses and breaking their necks. You're asking for three times that height. Now, I can do whatever you'd like, but I'm just suggesting you think everything through if you're strict about the non violent rule."

Erin's Emporium

Jim nods.
    "I am Ma'am. Believe me, I wouldn't hurt anyone, least of all her."
    Jim's basically as close to a pacifist as you can get without officially being a pacifist, and he's too self-conscious most of the time to ever purposefully hurt anyone in the metaphorical way.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Dwarf in the Playground

Electronic Asylum

Eliza nods. "Large, durable, multiplayer... how many players do you expect? What genre of game to you expect?"

14. - Top - End - #794
    Titan in the Playground

[Erin's Emporium]

The golem and the apprentice will have to set up a system of mirrors and lenses around the lab.

"I Did Ask - Oh. You Were Joking," Sizewell says.

Meanwhile, Dorota nods.

"Good. I know I can't keep her cooped up here. I was content to study all the time while I was her age, but she's different... and lives in a different place. So the best I can do is to make sure she's safe."

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ogre in the Playground

Prof Pi's Potions

"Not too strict. This is in case an army decides to invade a fortress. I prefer disruptive non-lethal effects simply because it damages morale more and allows me to guide them. But I'm not going to be saddened if people get killed by these." Aequitus admits.

Electronics Asylum

"Probably four or five at a time. And I figure games with big puzzles or lots of explosions."

16. - Top - End - #796
    Dwarf in the Playground

Electronics Asylum

"Well, the proper mix of durability, multilayer capability, and self-powering implies that the proper game station would be the Hardbox Deluxe!" From beneath the counter Eliza produces a three-foot-square by two-foot-high game station. "This supports up to six players in a variety of-" Bla bla bla all the marketing details, also mentioning some of the shortcomings, "-and can survive a direct hit from a small cannon or a moderate cave-in."

17. - Top - End - #797
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taet View Post
    [Pontius' Custom Constructs]

Ykysa looks at the marble golem for awhile. She even touches it to check the work. She looks at herself in the mirror of the well polished marble. And smiles.

When she goes in she asks for help right away. The golems will understand. "I need repair work done but not in public please. Do you have a work room?"
    In this instance, the golems do not understand. They are display models, mindless and inert- save for their glowing eyes that slowly change colour, there is no distinguishing them from a collection of statues made of many unusual and exotic materials. There's a section of Stone Golems, with examples made from basalt, granite, marble, dolomite, gneiss, slate, and even limestone and chalk, plus smaller golems made of jasper, jade, lapis lazuli and other semi-precious stones. The Wood Golems are similarly varied, with yew, oak, mahogany, plyboard, birch, pine, eucalyptus, and other woods. So are the Metal Golems, with steel, iron, aluminium, bronze, titanium, mithril, adamantium, orichalcum, recycled Dwemer alloy, gromril, pewter, silver, gold, electrum, brass, zinc, tin, and so on. Then there's a selection of golems made from other materials- plastic, straw (resembling scarecrows), clay, paper, glass, crystals, and more, stranger things.

Yksa will find an obese gnome approaching her. He's sat in an ornamental armchair with six steel, telescopic, insectoid legs on each side that move at the gnome's direction. Extending from its back are four arms that closely resemble the legs, each ending in elegant four-fingered hands. The chair is controlled by a small panel in the chair's armrest. The gnome is bald, with a shiny pate, brown eyes, a large nose and draped in purple toga. "My name is Pontius, proprietor. Is there anything in particular you are looking for?"
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

I don't use the Registry; ask for a description if you don't know what my character looks like.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ogre in the Playground

Prof. Pi's Potions

Pi starts scribbling on a pad.
    "In which case it'll all be as you requested. May I interest you in anything else?" says the rat-man.

Erin's Emporium

Jim nods.
    "I understand completely, Ma'am. I have no intention of letting anything happen to her. If you'd like anything else of me, please, just ask."
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2014-02-02 at 04:22 PM.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ogre in the Playground

Prof Pi's Potions

"Would you prefer payment in mythral, uranium, or magic crystals?"
    The Techno-Paladin asks, holding up his duffel bag.

Electronics Asylum

Aequitus grins. "Perfect." He says as he takes a pouch of mythral nuggets and sets it on the counter. "I'll take two. And whatever games you'd recommend for Kobolds. "

20. - Top - End - #800

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    In this instance, the golems do not understand. They are display models, mindless and inert- save for their glowing eyes that slowly change colour, there is no distinguishing them from a collection of statues made of many unusual and exotic materials. There's a section of Stone Golems, with examples made from basalt, granite, marble, dolomite, gneiss, slate, and even limestone and chalk, plus smaller golems made of jasper, jade, lapis lazuli and other semi-precious stones. The Wood Golems are similarly varied, with yew, oak, mahogany, plyboard, birch, pine, eucalyptus, and other woods. So are the Metal Golems, with steel, iron, aluminium, bronze, titanium, mithril, adamantium, orichalcum, recycled Dwemer alloy, gromril, pewter, silver, gold, electrum, brass, zinc, tin, and so on. Then there's a selection of golems made from other materials- plastic, straw (resembling scarecrows), clay, paper, glass, crystals, and more, stranger things.

Yksa will find an obese gnome approaching her. He's sat in an ornamental armchair with six steel, telescopic, insectoid legs on each side that move at the gnome's direction. Extending from its back are four arms that closely resemble the legs, each ending in elegant four-fingered hands. The chair is controlled by a small panel in the chair's armrest. The gnome is bald, with a shiny pate, brown eyes, a large nose and draped in purple toga. "My name is Pontius, proprietor. Is there anything in particular you are looking for?"
    "I need repair work done on my insides. In private. And set up a mirror please. I want to see while it is being done." This gnome will understand. Ykysa is small and perfect as a doll or an Erfworld archon. She is covered with ivory plates but the raw material shows at her eyes. Sapphire glass. Almost unbreakable.

She lifts an arm and pulls at the side of the thin dress. There is a line that goes down from under the arm and down the side of her body and under the dress. The front half of her body is a door. But she drops her arm then and will not take off the dress in the front of the shop.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Orc in the Playground

Pontius's Custom Constructs

The gnome's eyebrows rise when he realises what, exactly, is being asked of him. "I see! Follow me, please. Just a warning- I don't typically work with sentient constructs and am unfamiliar with your design- or at least, all I've seen so far. I shall do my best, however, don't worry." The gnome's chair turns around and walks off towards a large door in the back.

Through the door is an automated assembly line, several of them in fact. Several multi-jointed oak and brass armatures surround a variety of granite tables, carving stone and wood, screwing limbs into torsos and similar tasks. The closest table has been cleared of the low-quality pine that was being carved and several other constructs, spider-like things made of oaken arms are crawling on the ceiling, holding a polished sheet of steel in place above it. The gnome's chair settles itself at one end and he motions for her to lie on the table as the chair's arms take a silver eyeless helmet connected by fine copper chain to the table and lowers it over the gnome's head.

I don't use the Registry; ask for a description if you don't know what my character looks like.

22. - Top - End - #802

Pontius' Custom Constructs

Ykysa looks around with some interest. Then she starts taking off scarves and a thin dress and hangs them up. "I see. This is why Keeper told us to say we are built.

We are not built. We are grown and born."

The ivory plating across her belly is destroyed. A broken car windshield is less broken. A bar just under her cone bra is so bad the sapphire glass shines through all the cracks.

"I thought I was given a sapphire seed. It was not. It was blue diamond. I am not making that mistake again."
    Ykysa stares at the mirror and at the damage. "The egg was born perfect you know. Very expensive."

"But diamond seeds belong only in diamond golems."
    The line opens and so does the door. Ykysa's front half folds over to the side.

Her insides are very plain and simple. They are solid sapphire. A smooth cut goes down from the mouth and into a bowl shape and that is her stomach. A little bit of her last drink is still in there. Coconut. A cut goes up between her legs and into another bowl and that is her womb. That is not smooth. It is a geode now. Broken sharp edges. Cracks. Chips and flakes rolling around loose in the bowl. She does not stop looking.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Orc in the Playground

"I'd tell you that what you're seeing is a trade secret and make you sign a non-disclosure form, but I'm the only golemcraefter I know of in the Nexus and I doubt you'd know how to replicate any of it." The gnome won't actually do anything- or so it seems. He's linked up to the table and the armatures through the helmet, so they're all obeying his direct mental commands. They'll gently prod and probe, investigating the damage and see what they can do about repairing it. He doesn't know what to do, but the helm lets him understand what he's seeing well enough to give him some idea about repairing it- or even replicating it, though given Ykysa's sentience that's unlikely. Self-aware golems are not something he wants to deal with.

Also, the entire workshop is enthused with generic, animating energy- anything left in the workshop long enough will become animate, but it also serves as a slow self-repair field on existing golems and constructs, reinforcing the magic keeping them functional.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Ogre in the Playground

Prof. Pi's Potions

Pi blinks at him for a moment before giving a slight shake of his head.
    "Erm, any combination of the first or last would be fine, sir. Now, I don't really have any sort of delivery service presently unless I go out in person to do so, and I can't carry an order that big on my best days. Have you a solution for that, too?"

25. - Top - End - #805
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    Electronics Asylum

Aequitus grins. "Perfect." He says as he takes a pouch of mythral nuggets and sets it on the counter. "I'll take two. And whatever games you'd recommend for Kobolds. "
    "Depends on how civilized the kobolds are, they vary more than most other races. I would recommend Minecraft, to start with, and likely a few open world co-op games..." Eliza will list off a number of options. It might be noticed that she has a bias away from M-rated games. The final price tag is... high, but not unusually so given the quantity and quality of the items in question.

26. - Top - End - #806

"We cannot put in our own seeds. Keeper must do it." Ykysa says.

The ivory is just there to be pretty. It is not part of the golem. It has no magic.

Loose sapphire crystals line up with the magic field. Loose non crystal glass does not. Maybe the crystal damage can be found out and cut away.

Two things are strange on top of all that. The stomach bowl is not solid right now. The glass on the edge of the bowl moves. And with a very good probe to see there is tiny writing on parts of Ykysa's glass.

Boniface Childecrowne

The Keeper signed his work.

Ykysa talks. Maybe to the mirror. Maybe to the gnome. "It was not a living egg. But living eggs do not break us either. I was told. I was not on the living egg diet."

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

Erin's Emporium

Jim nods.
    "I understand completely, Ma'am. I have no intention of letting anything happen to her. If you'd like anything else of me, please, just ask."
    "Hmm. No, I think that's all for now. You can find Syela in the lab if you want," Dorota says.
    Last edited by Morty; 2014-02-04 at 01:39 PM.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Orc in the Playground

"I'm not even going to pretend I understand how your reproduction works; it seems similar to the way the gargoyles in Inside do it, but internal rather than external and very dependent on the right kind of stone. I can fix you up, though. I think. Your Keeper, is his name Boniface Childecrown?" He could be an ancestor of the Keeper, if Ykysa is very long-lived or immortal, like many golems; but reproduction suggests a natural death is possible, and therefore ageing.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

Erin's Emporium

Jim nods and gets up. He'll open the door to the lab and peek his head down to say,
    "Hey Syela, if you're working I'll leave you to it. I'll see you later, ok?"

30. - Top - End - #810

The gnome surprised Ykysa twice. "Gargoyle? Is that also what I am?" she starts to ask. Then her voice stops. Ykysa nods yes to the answer of the Keeper. But she does not have a real way to swallow to start talking again. It has to go away on its own. "Keeper. Lordchild Keeper. Set the wrong stone!"

No anger can show on her face. It was all in the voice. And that voice goes away fast.

"Yes. Now you have a trade secret too. Clean me out the best you can. And keep what you clean out. Flawless sapphire is expensive. I am expensive. I will pay you. But you keep what you clean out. Not Keeper." Now she is proud again. Talking about money and how much she is worth.