New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIX: "Understand the gravity of the situation."

what does everyone think of this abomination

particularly the first sentence of the second paragraph in the description
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIX: "Understand the gravity of the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post

Heck no. It's yet more humans in tin cans. 40k has tons of them and they are all boring.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Heck no. It's yet more humans in tin cans. 40k has tons of them and they are all boring.
    a friend showed me, and called it smurf village i laughed longer than i should have

extended signature

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ettin in the Playground

Y'know, technically speaking, nightmares so horrible that they cause PTSD do fall into the category of "dreams"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Dwarf in the Playground

I looked at the price and went When I got my entire chapter it was only 1000! Prices sure have changed...
    Check out the battle of the beacon, it was a massive 40k apocalypse game involving my space marine chapter!

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Y'know, technically speaking, nightmares so horrible that they cause PTSD do fall into the category of "dreams"
    may i sig this? i need it

extended signature

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

What is the better weapon for a Triarch Stalker between the Heavy Gauss Cannon and the Heat Ray? Inside 24", the HR seems like a better choice due to having 2 Melta shots and the flexibility of being an AoE as well. But, since Walkers always feel like early turn Pen bait to me (I've had mine blow up on Turn 1 two games in a row), the extra foot of range (not to mention the +1 S) on the HGC seems like a decent deal for 15pts.

Is it worth losing the flexibility and Melta power of the HR to get the range and Strength of the HGC?

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Ettin in the Playground

may i sig this? i need it
    Be my guest
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

just found the thread and I have a question who would object to my HQ choice
    Spoiler: My HQ choice
    Show
    Baneblade

and as A personal rule I never fight Necrons.
    I've had one guy kill an entire flying tryannid army. with a las pistol. I call it collateral damage, my opponent called it Heretical and clearly they're a cultist of Tzeech.
    I like Dwarfs and am Currently looking for out of context quotes about myself.

Escaped Die of the D20

and before anyone asks, I am a sociopath.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ettin in the Playground

The Escalation baneblade doesnt have the Command Tank upgrade, I believe. Only the Apocalipse version.

In an apoc game? Sure, go ahead.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Orc in the Playground

Speaking of Apocalypse, I've got what's ended up being a 15k a side one this weekend. Chaos, IG and Nids vs Eldar, Blood Angels and Space Marines.

Quite looking forwards to it!
    i watched your heart turn black.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by thedavo View Post
    Speaking of Apocalypse, I've got what's ended up being a 15k a side one this weekend.
    Rule 0. Bring snacks
    It's most important. Hungry players are angry players.

#1. Take breaks
    Tired players are angry players (tournaments all over the world have proved this several times over). Make sure you've scheduled some breaks. And then stick to that. Second, if some players need 'ten more minutes' or something, you let them have it.

#2. Time your turns
    Part of getting your breaks in, is all about time. No-one likes sitting around doing nothing. I'd suggest setting up a half-hour timer for turns. Since nearly everyone has a phone these days, alarms and stop watches are everywhere.

#3. You don't need to see everything.
    Part of getting your turns done quickly (and inside the time limit), is ignoring what everyone else on your team is doing. You don't need to see Guardsmen get killed by Boltguns. If you want to shoot at a players' models, and that particular player isn't rolling dice, then you get that player and make him pay attention to you.

#4. Limit Str-D Weapons
    Send an e-mail or txt or Facebook message or something to your players. Right now! How many of them have Str-D ranged weapons? Particularly Blast weapons, too. If one side has more than the other, it's not going to be a fun time.

#5. Remember to Score
    No, seriously. Also, it's helpful to set up story objectives. Although that requires time to balance, and it's not going to be for everyone.

#6. Don't use Unnatural Disasters
    Just don't. Abaddon gets his Planet Killer once per game, and that's fine, because it's only one turn, and it isn't even a 'bad' Disaster.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, can anyone tell me how tall the Transcendent C'tan model that comes with the Obelisk/Tesseract Vault is, from the bottom of the skimmer base to the head of the model? Because I'd like to have one in the event that I find myself in a higher point game that will allow it, but I certainly don't want to spend $160 on the official kit. I figured what with the variety of possible C'tan, this would be a good conversion opportunity, but I need to know the dimensions of the official model.

Thanks.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    So, can anyone tell me how tall the Transcendent C'tan model that comes with the Obelisk/Tesseract Vault is, from the bottom of the skimmer base to the head of the model? Because I'd like to have one in the event that I find myself in a higher point game that will allow it, but I certainly don't want to spend $160 on the official kit. I figured what with the variety of possible C'tan, this would be a good conversion opportunity, but I need to know the dimensions of the official model.

Thanks.
    I don't know exact measurements, but I do know the rough answer is "too small to be a credible Gargantuan Creature." I've heard that the normal C'tan Shard models are larger.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

15. - Top - End - #1035

Normal Shards aren't mounted on Skimmer bases though.

Thanks to the increasing size of Monstrous creatures- the Transcendent C'tan is not the only undersized-looking Gargantuan Creature next to those.

The Gargantuan Greater Daemons all look a bit puny next to the Wraithknight.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2014-02-01 at 04:59 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

16. - Top - End - #1036

Yeah, but we all know that Wraithknights are really just the old Knight Titans brought back for baseline 40k and use the MC stats because they didn't want to put superheavy vehicle rules in core.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So, apparently Highlander Lists are a thing now for some reason. Lists where you get only one of each non-Troop choice (there can only be one!), so, instead of having say, three Riptides, you can have one Riptide and one Crisis Team. I'm not sure this is a 'fix' that actually matters. Sure, you lose dual-Farseers and TRip-Tide builds, but it hurts way more armies than Tau and Eldar, and hurts other armies a lot more, to boot.

Sororitas are hamstrung.
    Blood Angels are kind of screwed.
    Daemons have ALL THE CHOICES!!!
    Chaos Space Marines get exactly one Heldrake...
    Dark Angels are simply boned.
    Dark Eldar can salvage a list, especially in this meta.
    Eldar are designed with a 'one-of-everything' style in mind, so don't care.
    Grey Knights are fine.
    Imperial Guard are laughing all the way to winning every game since they break the FOC anyway.
    Necrons may find it tough, but doable.
    Orks are just screwed. One unit of Lootas, one Dakkajet. You only get one Warboss or Big Mek, equals only one unit of Nobz, equals no spamming of Battlewagons...Sighface.
    Space Marines - like Guard - have more than one good unit in every slot. Oh noes! You can't take two units of Sternguard? One of them has to be Legion of the Damned? How will you cope? You have to take a Stormtalon and Stormraven instead of three Stormtalons. Your list is obviously ruined. RUINED!
    Space Wolves aren't happy. But if they just spam Grey Hunters like they do anyway, there's no real change. Just less Long Fangs. Use the points to buy Allies.
    Tau don't care. As long as you don't take Stealth Teams or Vespid you can build a list out of anything in that book.
    Tyranids are just sad. At least they're better than Dark Angels!

To me, Highlander encourages even more Death Stars.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

18. - Top - End - #1038

Griffon

I can solve that problem for you, Cheesegear - just play more Necromunda.

'Cause that's what Unpronouncable and I did, all day yesterday, and we didn't even get kicked out of Warhammer World for playing a non-supported game. Lots of nostalgia, and despite a few hiccups with weirdly designed scenarios (I get d6 of my gang to fight 2d6 of yours? 1 guy versus 9, you say? Oh goody! ) still a very solid system.

Gotta say... GW need a big, quick payday bonanza, a là Space Hulk? Necromunda would do it in a heartbeat.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I can solve that problem for you, Cheesegear - just play more Necromunda.

'Cause that's what Unpronouncable and I did, all day yesterday, and we didn't even get kicked out of Warhammer World for playing a non-supported game. Lots of nostalgia, and despite a few hiccups with weirdly designed scenarios (I get d6 of my gang to fight 2d6 of yours? 1 guy versus 9, you say? Oh goody! ) still a very solid system.

Gotta say... GW need a big, quick payday bonanza, a là Space Hulk? Necromunda would do it in a heartbeat.
    I remember a Necromunda game where my gang was an Orrus. Just the one, with eight levels on him to start.

He had sustained fire, T5 and W2, and all sorts of fun things. He was always good at the "X of gang 1 fight Y of gang 2" scenarios for some strange reason.

Then there was That One Guy who took 40 devotees with knives. There isn't even anything stopping you from doing that.

It was still fun, though.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    I don't know exact measurements, but I do know the rough answer is "too small to be a credible Gargantuan Creature." I've heard that the normal C'tan Shard models are larger.
    So, about the right size to be represented by a figurine of Bahamut (from one of the newer Final Fantasy games that I haven't played) once I've rebased the thing. I can work with that.

Some might argue that this is proxying instead, and that I should be hanged for this travesty. To which I'd reply that the rebasing, repainting, etc... is work, I've never even seen a GW store so their policies on proxies don't matter to me, and anyone who won't accept a giant robot dragon as a transcendent shard of the Void Dragon wasn't going to like anything I scratch-built either.

...I probably will build one from scratch eventually, but I have to start somewhere, right?

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks for the IG anti-Tau tips, everyone! My friend and I had a ball coming with anti-Tau strategies yesterday.

Speaking of which, what should the IG be doing against Eldar? What are the Eldar particularly good at, and what can the IG do to counter them? What would a tailored anti-Eldar list look like?

(Keep in mind that we're just treating this as an intellectual exercise, my friend doesn't intend to actually tailor his real-life list to make Tau/Eldar players mad.)

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Titan in the Playground

So, apparently Highlander Lists are a thing now for some reason. Lists where you get only one of each non-Troop choice (there can only be one!), so, instead of having say, three Riptides, you can have one Riptide and one Crisis Team. I'm not sure this is a 'fix' that actually matters. Sure, you lose dual-Farseers and TRip-Tide builds, but it hurts way more armies than Tau and Eldar, and hurts other armies a lot more, to boot.
    For us only having 2 max of anything, and no allies, worked a lot better to prevent the most stupid lists, even if i did steamroll over both Grey Knights and Blood Angels in the couple of battles in our league.

I did suspect that being more a question of both of my last opponents being slightly stuck in 5th though.. and not having read the Eldar codex
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

23. - Top - End - #1043

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    I remember a Necromunda game where my gang was an Orrus. Just the one, with eight levels on him to start.
    I was always told that Malcadon (The Spider-guy) was always the best choice, if you were going to try a solo run since his guns almost always incapacitate an opponent, and he's better at close combat which is the most efficient way to remove people from the game.... But all of the Spyrers are fun to have around.

Then there was That One Guy who took 40 devotees with knives. There isn't even anything stopping you from doing that.

It was still fun, though.
    Scavvy Boss with Knife: 100creds
    Scavvy with Knife: 25creds
    Scavvy with Knife: 25creds
    85d6 Plague Zombies: 850creds

Not sure what happens in your second game, of course, but one would assume by that point everyone else has given up and gone home.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2014-02-01 at 12:11 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

24. - Top - End - #1044

That reminds me of Mordheim game, where my starting band was only Skaven with troop, plus one assassin.

Later, I had a sorcerer who actually turned out to become my best fighter. Teleporting 12" and then immediately attacking with 5 attacks at S5 or 6, I odn't quite remember. Tail weapon+berserker spell+lucky stat points+flail.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Orc in the Playground

If nothing else, it disproves without a shadow of a doubt the "Thousand Marine Myth".
    Sup ho.

Avatar by the profilic kaptainkrutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Really, getting mad at a story for using tropes is about as sane as getting mad at the book it's printed in for using atoms.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Kind of missed out on putting out a 25th Anniversary game of Blood Bowl last year. The Internet was certain that they would. ...And then they didn't. Instead their 'big, exciting release' for December was a pun on 'big'. Ergh.

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    Speaking of which, what should the IG be doing against Eldar? What are the Eldar particularly good at, and what can the IG do to counter them? What would a tailored anti-Eldar list look like?
    Depends what Eldar list they're running. Wave Serpents are completely different to Jetbikes/Hyrbrid are completely different to Footdar.

But, your winners are going to be;
    Hellhounds
    Leman Russ Eradicators
    Colossi
    Hydras (for Wave Serpents and Jetbikes)

In case you didn't spot it, Eldar are all about the Cover Saves. Then, just in case of Wraithknights, you need to bring Vendettas and Ratlings (I swear by my Ratlings, but, they're not for everyone...For those people; Marbo). Plasma Commands aren't going to work as well either. So, break out your Meltaguns and Meltavets again from 5th Ed. and rumble them forward. As always, your goal is to smash anything that even looks like it has a Bright Lance - or is a Wraithknight - and then try and kill some Infantry.

A typical Eldar list has a lot of S6 and S7. But not a lot above that. So, any Leman Russ will do. Except the Punisher - which does nothing - and the Executioner - which is just expensive, and Eldar don't have 2+ Saves anyway outside of Protected Jetbikes.

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    For us only having 2 max of anything, and no allies, worked a lot better to prevent the most stupid lists
    Yeah, it's better. But it's still the same pitfall. It doesn't actually hurt a balanced Codex with good choices (Tau, Eldar, Marines, Daemons), and the Codecies that it does hurt, hurts a whole lot worse.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

my group plays mainly apoc as we have one Huge board that is unfortunately tilted (it has a hill and town at the bottom end that arrests most movement and so far only one unit has manage d to actually all off that side), there's a house rule if something slides it slides, and hits everything in the way which has meant that all vehicles have additional armour for these down hill careening tanks, the main competitors are easily land raiders, Hammerheads, monoliths, Nottingham (my leman Russ Executioner), some chaos Space Marine walker that one of my group thought it be funny to model on a surfboard (I think it's a defiler) and Eldar Jetbikes. as a rule NONE of these are allowed at the top end of the table as the latest maximum units knocked down is held by Nottingham at EVERYTHING, which is in other words everything ended up at the bottom of the table as it first pushed the surfing demon engine which slid across and knocked the monolith, towards the centre, and yea you get the idea, it went right though melee.
    btw that was yesterday. we decided not to bring anything fragile to bear because we expected it to happen. and guess what most infantry that was still standing broke. (as in failed a moral check) and ran away.
    I like Dwarfs and am Currently looking for out of context quotes about myself.

Escaped Die of the D20

and before anyone asks, I am a sociopath.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Troll in the Playground

K
    But, your winners are going to be;
    Hellhounds
    Leman Russ Eradicators
    Colossi
    Hydras (for Wave Serpents and Jetbikes)
    2 questions:

I keep being told Hellhounds are awesome, which is understandable since 6th edition really seems to value cover busting...but how does one get the Hellhound into position? I know it's a Fast vehicle, but isn't it also very squishy?

I thought Hydras had trouble hitting anything that wasn't a flyer?

Then, just in case of Wraithknights, you need to bring Vendettas and Ratlings (I swear by my Ratlings, but, they're not for everyone...For those people; Marbo). Plasma Commands aren't going to work as well either. So, break out your Meltaguns and Meltavets again from 5th Ed. and rumble them forward. As always, your goal is to smash anything that even looks like it has a Bright Lance - or is a Wraithknight - and then try and kill some Infantry.
    Hmm...why meltas over plasma? I'm not terribly familiar with what Wraithknights are capable of--will S7 AP2 not get the job done?

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Bugbear in the Playground

If I remember correctly, skyfire weapons like on the hydra can hit both flyers and skimmers at full BS (hence the 'for wave serpents' part). The fact that they're long ranged, twin linked, and ignore jink saves means they're still good against jetbikes.
    Currently Playing:
    Nothing at the moment.

Nova avatar courtesy of the ever awesome LCP.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rizhail View Post
    If I remember correctly, skyfire weapons like on the hydra can hit both flyers and skimmers at full BS (hence the 'for wave serpents' part). The fact that they're long ranged, twin linked, and ignore jink saves means they're still good against jetbikes.
    Well, that's what I get for not knowing the rules.