Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Moonshae Mysteries (IC)

The sky has been slowly darkening all day, and the smell of rain has been thick in the air. Now it has finally begun to fall, accompanied by loud peals of thunder that seem to roll across the landscape.

The sun is hidden behind massive stormclouds, and a cold wind blows from the north. As bolts of lightning begin to slam from cloud to ground and pieces of hail begin to strike the earth, the need for shelter becomes obvious.

Ahead in the distance, a large tor rises from the ground, its form illuminated by the occasional lightning bolt. It seems rocky and solid, and though climbing it in this weather would be folly, it might have some outcropping that would provide safety from the storm. The only alternative is to endure the weather.
    Putting Flavour text in quotes to make it stand out more.
    Last edited by only1doug; 2013-09-19 at 06:26 AM.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Moonshae Mysteries IC / OOC / Central Map / west rooms map / east rooms map
    Moonshae Tales IC / OOC / Map
    Map of Area

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Moonshae Mysteries (IC)

Tromping through the wilds, Balenor had been watching the weather all day, and he knew that it was going to be getting fairly bad, but it also offered an excellent chance to observe the might of such a storm. He had, of course, seen such storms in the past, but then, there was not reason not to enjoy this one. Still, the Isles, despite being a supposed center of nature, had been fairly boring thus far, so, perhaps this storm was a sign that things were getting interesting.
    Or perhaps it was just a storm. Even after three years, this nature sending him signs bit was a bit strange.
    As the rain started pattering into the ground, and the cold water running down his face, leaving streaks of lighter color, he shakes his head, and heads for the tor, already searching for a shallow cave, or outcropping.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

Eilyra Dlardrageth, Expedition to the Demonweb Pits
    Violet, A Faerie Affair
    Adamant, Planescape: Full Circle

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The massive tor towers above the surrounding country. A few narrow ledges offer scant protection from the elements, but a closer inspection reveals a massive, arched entryway at least 20 feet tall and 10 feet wide, set into the side of the hill.

The ground just outside it slopes away from the doorway, directing the falling water out and away. Given this fact and the sturdy nature of the hill, whatever space lies beyond the door should be both dry and safe from lightning and hail. The construction seems quite sturdy, so the likelihood of collapse, even in severe conditions such as these, is remote.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Map of Area

4. - Top - End - #4

GreenSorcererElf

As he gets closer, Balenor sees the massive entryway. Not having seen any significant sources of stone in the area, he wonders where it came from, and why anyone would want to build a major structure here, in the middle of nowhere. Still, ever since the trees saved him, he had been directed by such things, and so, he headed into the entryway, looking around, as well as observing the storm.

(1d20+7)[21] perception
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2013-09-19 at 07:37 AM.
    Show

Violet, A Faerie Affair

5. - Top - End - #5

GreenSorcererElf

Building with local rock? Bah, surface rock is never as good as what is deeper down. Of course their stone shattered...

Musing on the failure of whatever the large round stone had been for, blaming in on poor construction, and poor materials choices, as well as the chilling effects of the rain, Balenor tries to open the door, wondering if the unknown builders had built this, at least, properly.
    Show

Violet, A Faerie Affair

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The door is unlocked and opens easily when pushed, you can feel the weight of the door against your arm, ready to swing shut on its own.
    The stone chamber beyond the entrance measures at least ten paces square.

Peeling paint and broken scrollwork suggest that it was once decorated with some care, but now only dust remains.

Three massive stone doors—one each to the left and right, and one directly across from the entrance—lead deeper into the tor.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Map of Area

7. - Top - End - #7

GreenSorcererElf

Not wanting the entrance to close, and potentially lock behind him, Balenor jams a stone in front of the door, preventing it from closing, and allowing him to observe the storm.
    Once that vital task is completed, he looks around, and snorts, not impressed with the quality of the work in this place.
    And this is why you carve the rock, rather than just painting it. Paint just does not last. Carving, inlays, done properly, they will last for generations, but paint... paint needs to be redone fairly frequently.

Wanting to watch the storm, Balenor, after checking that the doors are closed, sits down on a broken chunk of rock, and watches the storm.

Spoiler
    Show

Since we are awaiting others...
    Show

Violet, A Faerie Affair

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The dark has never bothered Hannah, but the rain is an annoyance and there is no reason to risk the lightning. She tucks her wings over her head in an effort to keep dry as she makes her way over land towards the tor, hoping to find some shelter there.

The idea of waiting out the storm within the arched entry occurs to her first. It's open and public - perhaps even meant for the purpose of offering wanderers some protection from the elements. She hesitates, however, when she notices the open door.

She knocks firmly but politely on the side of the door's frame, taking care not to cross the threshold its self without invitation, then addresses Balenor. Greetings, stranger. I hope I give no offense. Might I take shelter in your abode while the storm passes? I swear I mean no harm. she smiles in a gentle, genuine way that touches the sides of her reptilian eyes.
    "Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound true." - Isaac Asimov (Second Foundation)

Avatar by Serpentine. Ezeze-doll by Recaiden.

9. - Top - End - #9

GreenSorcererElf

As the storm continues, Balenor watches it, distracted by its amazing glory, not noticing the... kobold? walking up to the entrance until she? knocks.
    Kobold? But... she looks human in size, and is shaped like one of their women, although the lack of a proper beard...

Somewhat confused, the somewhat stinky dwarf looks up at her, a mixture of curiosity and confusion in his eyes
    "Aye, well, as to that, it is not my abode. Any dwarf would be ashamed to claim such a shoddy example of construction. Be warned that if you try to harm me, you will have to work out how to live with a blade through you."

Notably, he does not say yes or no, he simply refuses responsibility.
    Show

Violet, A Faerie Affair

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Hannah greets Balenor's statement that the room is not his with an Oh? and a pensive look. She seems ready to say more before he continues, but allows him to finish instead.

She responds to Baelnor's threat with That won't be necessary and a smile as if she was in on some joke he simply wouldn't get. Perhaps she doubts that he could put a blade through her - she seems well armored and well armed, after all - but she doesn't press the matter further. She instead finds a seat near the center of the room out of arm's reach of the dwarf and settles in to wait for the sky to clear.
    "Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound true." - Isaac Asimov (Second Foundation)

11. - Top - End - #11

GreenSorcererElf

Balenor snorts as she says that it won't be necessary, not really caring much either way. She wasn't attacking him, and she seemed ok, but if that changed, he had no concerns with fighting her.

As she shifts around, he shifts so that he can keep an eye on both her, and the storm, at the same time, not trusting this complete stranger.
    Show

Violet, A Faerie Affair

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Another voice, soon, came into the place.

"Safe to say, I'm not the only one seeking shelter this day, huh?", the girl who came in observed, as she looked at the other two in the room.

Blonde hair, green eyes, pointy ears; this was definitely an elf. And a rather soaked one who didn't look happy about that. Overall, not someone who looked used to serious exploring, though the bow on her back looked at least somewhat used.

Looking around, she picked a dry-looking corner with a raised stone to sit on, and moved over there.

"Well met, I guess?" Finally taking a look at her fellows, Eilly pondered. The oddly lizard-like features of the human weren't something she recognized, though the chain and longsword nicely represented her capabilities.

On the other hand, the Dwarf was, well, a dwarf. Smelly, toting a weapon taller than he was and able to wield it far better than any Elf would assume possible, and well-suited to caves and stonework - both advantageous traits for ruin-delving.

... Double the smelly part. That would be less pleasant, though for now Eilly was willing to hold her tongue on that bit.

13. - Top - End - #13

GreenSorcererElf

As the wispy elf walks through the opened door as well, Balenor looks over her, curiously, before resuming his watch of the weather.
    "Nope, looks like this is an amazingly popular spot for being in the middle of nowhere."

When she claims to have been well met, Balenor gives another snort.
    "Well met? If you have to guess..."

Balenor sighs, seeing that his pleasant evening was coming to an end. Still, if the storm drove them all together, perhaps there was a reason for that.
    "Well met, I suppose. You may call me Balenor, and the lizard has said that she isn't going to try any funny business."
    Show

Violet, A Faerie Affair

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizard? For a moment it appears as if Hannah is ready to strike Balenor, but she settles for yelling at him instead.

I'll have you know, Balenor, son of gods only know, that I am Hannah Alaricsdotter and that I can trace my ancestry on my father's side back to the Paladin Gunhild who slew Disapater's high priest in single combat before the very Church of Torm and my mother is the Great Golden Wyrm Vorelvivex whose triumphs in the name of good and righteousness are too many to count!

I will not stand for being called a lizard!

"Intimidate" - (1d20+6)[19]

15. - Top - End - #15

Eilly shuddered at Hannah's sudden, loud rant. Oh, so she was born of a dragon. No wonder, she couldn't help but think, glad the rage wasn't directed at her.

After recovering from the minor shock, she reached into her pack, pulling out a small amount of trail rations. Local nuts and fruits, with a little bit of jerky.

"... I should've saved up for a Travel Cloak before I started with all this."

Eilly sighed, going further into her pack and pulling out a couple towels, starting to dry off... At least a little.

16. - Top - End - #16

GreenSorcererElf

(1d20+4)[8] counter(not that it matters too much.)
    At this rather... energetically delivered speech, Balenor smiles.
    It had been a while since he had gotten into a good argument.
    "Aye, perhaps not. I suppose you are a half worm, then? Does that make you a wormlet? My family is well thought of, to be sure. You will not insult them again.
    Show

Violet, A Faerie Affair

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Liandra sped forward as rain and hail started to fall.

It's just a drizzle! Dandelion complained Toughen up woman!

The halfling gave her backpack a smack.

Hah! You missed.

Bloody piece of rock. Maybe I should just dump you in a nearby pool and be done withit.

Then the halfling spotted the tor through gusts of rain. Shelter! Quickly she ran towards the mound and found an open door. The drenched and muddy halfling entered and started to wring her long wet red hair, water streaming to the ground. It was then that she noticed the others. A smelly dwarf, a prissy elf and a deformed human that looked ready to bite the dwarf's throat off. Ehm. Hello.
    Last edited by Battlechaser; 2013-09-19 at 01:44 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

GreenSorcererElf

Seeing a halfling come running in, Balenor wonders why things decided to start happening today. Surely they could have started tomorrow, when he didn't have to deal with a crazy worm girl? But, he remembered his manners, and nods to the halfling.
    "Greetings. Yet another wanderer in these barren moors? I greet you. you may call me Balenor, the elf has not yet introduced herself, and the wormlett claims to be Hannah Alaricsdotter, daughter of Vorelvivex."
    Show

Violet, A Faerie Affair

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

The very first thing Liandra sees when she enters the small room is Hannah screaming in range. Because of her heritage, this comes out half-roar.

You must be a fool to call me a worm or to insult my mother! To do both - I can only assume that you're suicidal! I understand now why you so seldom see dwarves above the surface; they don't get too far before something bigger eats them!

20. - Top - End - #20

GreenSorcererElf

Balenor replies calmly, almost seeming to chuckle to himself.
    "Aye, well, if you are going to eat me, you might need some bigger teeth. If you aren't a lizard, and object to being a worm, maybe you are a funny sort of kobold?"
    Show

Violet, A Faerie Affair

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

About this point Hannah realizes that Balenor is just playing - a fact which her indignation had blinded her to before. She calms down slightly, though still acts enraged. If he wants to play, well, Hannah has four younger siblings. She can play.

I'm a dragon; something bearded baboons would do well to remember, lest they find themselves on a split over a bonfire!

22. - Top - End - #22

GreenSorcererElf

Hearing this, Balenor casually gets up, and walks around her, noting the distinctive pair of legs, the lack of being a giant dragon, and the too small scales.
    "I think you might be a wee bit too small to be a dragon. Maybe a big kobold?"
    Balenor does not seem to mind being called a bearded baboon.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2013-09-19 at 02:29 PM.
    Show

Violet, A Faerie Affair

23. - Top - End - #23

Eillyassa looked at the trio, even as she ran a towel through her hair to dry off some.

"Typical Dwarven brazenness," she concludes aloud.

"I am Eillyassa Loreweaver, craftswoman of Evermeet. I got stuck out here, figured I'd seek any interesting ruins... And then wound up here."
    Last edited by NekoIncardine; 2013-09-19 at 02:02 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

GreenSorcererElf

As the elf speaks, Balenor listens.
    "Maybe nature guided us all here after all. There are, you may have noticed, several doors here, and I, at least, have no idea what is behind them. You can explore, I can complain about the quality of the stonework, although, I am not sure why the storm guided the others here.."
    Show

Violet, A Faerie Affair

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Half-dragon Hannah faux-seethes, unwilling to let the game stop so soon though either of my halves are enough to best you in wit or in battle! I confess, however, that it'd likely take five of me at least to best you in stench!

Perhaps we were summoned here.
    She says to Eillyassa. You to explore, and me to spare you the burden of slicing this fool in half.

26. - Top - End - #26

GreenSorcererElf

Balenor laughs, a deep, booming sound.
    "Half-a-dragon? The front end, or the rear end? It is hard to tell, I fear. As for my smell..."
    Balenor lifts a arm, and sniffs, before nodding. A small mouse, having the unfortunant timing to be in that direction keels over, vomiting.
    "It might be time for a scrubbing, I suppose. None of the right stone here, though."
    Show

Violet, A Faerie Affair

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

The time for a scrubbing was a month ago after you made love to that skunk in the garbage heap - that must be what happened, yes? I can think of no other source for the potency of your smell. Now that you've waited so long, I fear nothing short of boiling tar will ever see you clean again!

28. - Top - End - #28

"... What does stone have to do with washing?"

Eillyassa was actively concerned that the answer would cost her brain cells, but...

29. - Top - End - #29

GreenSorcererElf

Balenor shakes his head, sadly.
    "No, no, I have at least a little restraint. It was probably after that boat trip. It was a little smelly, as there were a few too many people on board, but the transport was cheap. Boiling tar, though... how would I get the tar off. I think we know what half you are. And its not the bit with the brain."

When Eillyassa asks what stone has to do with washing, Balenor once more seems a little surprised to be asked such a obvious question.
    "To scrub with! How else could I clean myself without wasting water? We always seemed to need that for the ale!"
    Show

Violet, A Faerie Affair

30. - Top - End - #30

"... Huh. I guess it could make sense in minimal-water situations. Back in Evermeet, we used larger springs or irrigation so that it wasn't a worry. One skilled casting of create water, prestidigitation to heat the tub..."

She looked down. "... I miss home. But I'm stuck out here until they can fix the portal unless I decide to risk a ship, so..."