New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Dy5unctional Rule5

Over on the 3.5/PF sub-forum we have documented 479, and counting dysfunctions in the 3.5 and PF rulesets. Can we do the same for D&D Next — before it is published.

Well, the final play test packet is available, can we get ahead of the game ?

Ed: Actually the link they sent me was wrong — I guess I should have tested it first

Anyone have the correct link ?
    Last edited by nedz; 2013-09-20 at 05:57 PM.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dy5unctional Rule5

Reserved for Index
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Warped Druid Handbook

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Reserved .....
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Sure.

A first-level rogue has a 50% chance of successfully getting anyone, even hostile creatures, to help him (as long as this involves no risk to the helping creature). An eleventh-level rogue does it 100% of the time. Why? The DC to do this is 20 on a hostile creature (15 on a neutral, 10 on a friendly). The L1 rogue has +3 charisma, +1 skill training, +5 expertise so succeeds on an 11+ on 1d20; the L11 rogue has +5 / +3 / +5 and treats any trained skill roll of 1-9 as a 10 so auto-succeeds. This is basically 5E's version of the Diplomancer.

Given how the rules are written, it should be easy to come up with more of these.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

This webcomic thinks they've found one. (Disclaimer: No idea if it's accurate.)
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    This webcomic thinks they've found one. (Disclaimer: No idea if it's accurate.)
    Yes, pretty much. A red dragon (level 13 creature) has +7 to strength checks. This means it can break down a wooden door 85% of the time, bend a portcullis 15% of the time, and break down an iron door absolutely never (since it has DC 60).

(edit) Also, this dragon has a 20% chance of losing a grappling check against a commoner

Speaking of which, it's dysfunctional that the DC for breaking down certain kinds of walls and doors is well above the maximum DC in the DC table, which is 35 for godlike tasks. I don't think it's particularly godlike to break down a door...

(edit) oh, here's a fun one. Prismatic Spray, the traditional rainbow spell from Vance's Dying Earth, now has eight colors. Shocking Grasp is now a ranged spell (very short range, but still not a grasp).
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2013-09-20 at 07:03 PM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

So 5E doesn't support the Kick—in—the—door style play then ? At least until high level, when it does.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    (edit) oh, here's a fun one. Prismatic Spray, the traditional rainbow spell from Vance's Dying Earth, now has eight colors. Shocking Grasp is now a ranged spell (very short range, but still not a grasp).
    Of course it has eight colors. What sort of wizard hasn't heard of Octarine, the color of magic?
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Speaking of which, it's dysfunctional that the DC for breaking down certain kinds of walls and doors is well above the maximum DC in the DC table, which is 35 for godlike tasks. I don't think it's particularly godlike to break down a door...
    Huh, how many bad DMs and hack module writers do you think lobbied for that little "feature?"
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Huh, how many bad DMs and hack module writers do you think lobbied for that little "feature?"
    Well, any modern gamer will tell you that walls and doors are tougher than battle tanks except when explicitly designed to break.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2013-09-20 at 10:33 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

A Fighter 9/Paladin 6 with 20 Str and 20 Con essentially can't ever die from HP damage.

-O

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

... this is going to turn into another multi-page argument about how the math isn't goofy because a good GM can ignore the math when it gives silly results, isn't it?

DC 60 for ANYTHING in a system with bounded accuracy is unbelievably stupid, though. Seriously, guys. Iron doors? Not even adamantine, just iron? Time to go build a castle entirely out of iron doors...
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

With the multiclass rules at the moment, If a druid takes one level of any other spellcasting class and goes all druid the rest of the way, they have a normal amount of spell slots, as opposed to their decreased number of slots. So a druid of the land with one level of wizard or cleric has more slots than any other caster, with very little given up.

It's minor but seems very strange.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-09-21 at 06:30 PM.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I can't believe I missed this, but a 2-level dip into Wizard gives everyone who attacks you Disadvantage on all their attacks. Always.

A 2-level dip into Cleric can mean your Reaction can give an attacker in range disadvantage against you, or against anyone else, every round forever.

None of the stuff Fighters get in 2 levels is anywhere near this cool.

-O

15. - Top - End - #15

SwashbucklerGuy

So, by the sounds of it, multi-classing in general is dysfunctional more often than not. Do you think they'll revise the rules for this before release, or just hope nobody notices?
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    So, by the sounds of it, multi-classing in general is dysfunctional more often than not. Do you think they'll revise the rules for this before release, or just hope nobody notices?
    My advice is to scrap the whole thing because squashing broken combos will limit how interesting and functional classes are.

-O

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

A multiclass Rogue/Barbarian gets Sneak Attack on every attack while in a frothing axe-swinging frenzy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

So wait, is 5E going to be the edition of if you aren't taking at least two classes you are not optimized?
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-09-23 at 11:42 PM.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

You know, most of this multiclassing stuff sounds more like a feature than a bug to me.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

20. - Top - End - #20

You know, most of this multiclassing stuff sounds more like a feature than a bug to me.
    9th level characters should be immune to HP damage?

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
    Why not, if that's what you specialize in?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Why not, if that's what you specialize in?
    Righty-o then, I'll be over here with the ~90% of monsters that try to do hit point damage. Crying.

Does Next even have any enemies with non-HP ways to kill or seriously inconvenience you at that level, I wonder?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    So wait, is 5E going to be the edition of if you aren't taking at least two classes you are not optimized?
    Right now, with the way it's shaping up? Yep.

And given how much I dislike multiclassing to start with - especially buffet-style multiclassing - it's a big strike against the system so far.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    Righty-o then, I'll be over here with the ~90% of monsters that try to do hit point damage. Crying.

Does Next even have any enemies with non-HP ways to kill or seriously inconvenience you at that level, I wonder?
    Several. You're drifting around at 1 HP, which means ALL Save-or-Dies (Which I think are now just HP checks) will work against you.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
    It's 15th level unless you have a Paladin ally that you always stay within 10' of.

26. - Top - End - #26

"If you take these classes you're a fearsome warrior who fears no blade" is fine, and might have been intended. "If you're berserking, you become great at hitting hidden weak points of distracted enemies" was almost certainly not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    "If you take these classes you're a fearsome warrior who fears no blade" is fine, and might have been intended. "If you're berserking, you become great at hitting hidden weak points of distracted enemies" was almost certainly not.
    No, see, they're distracted because you're berserking. It's a perfect synergy.
    Jude P.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Nobody expects the Barbarian to have levels in Rogue, nor does anyone expect the rogue to have levels in Barbarian!

And what makes Reckless Strike reckless isn't that it's "I don't care how I hit them" - it's "I don't care if they hit me - I'm hitting them where it hurts." Not really a dysfunction, even if it is powerful. The enemies aren't distracted - The Barbarian Rogue is just hyperfocused.

When you're not raging, you're leaving yourself open to drive your weapon into hidden weak points. When you are raging, you maintain enough clarity to see and target the weakpoints without exposing yourself.

Multiclass Barbarian/rogue is a feature, not a bug, and balance wise... makes for a pretty devastating striker... but it slows SA damage increases (By at least two levels) compared to a normal rogue, who's getting SA damage anyway because of his Backstab ability (Did they get rid of Isolated Strike for the more duelist and assassin types?). A barbarian with a dip in rogue has his survivability, attack progression, and Crazy Barbarian Shenanigans slowed.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

I dunno. I think even a cursory glance at balance shows that these multiclass combos are issues. There's no sense in which a Fighter should be better at Fighting because they took 2 levels of Wizard.

If this is the sort of thing that's intended in the system, make it part of the core class advancement structure.

-O

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

I think the Wizard thing is definitely an issue (I did a spit-take when I saw that ability). When I read the fluff, I expected it to be some kind of aura or at-will 'mark' he could put on specific targets, not just a constant "Nobody can attack me"