New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules IV- It's like a sandwich made of RAW failure!

Doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet, but soulmeld limitations are a bit... off.

Let's start with the Meldshaping classes. They all have a table that gives a number for both soulmelds shaped per day and maximum soulmelds shaped at any time. However, in the description of this, it doesn't say it's a maximum for soulmelds shaped from any specific class levels, it's just a global maximum. Let's say you're a 10th level Incarnate. You can have 6 soulmelds shaped at once. But then you take a level of Totemist. You can now only shape a total of 2 soulmelds from both classes, because your Incarnate soulmelds count against your Totemist limit.

This also means the Shape Soulmeld feat can't be used to shape extra soulmelds. This, in itself, is reasonable, until you realize that non-meldshapers don't have a limit on how many melds they can have shaped at once. A 6th level human with some Human Paragon could shape 5 soulmelds at the same time. But if they took Soulborn at level 7, they can't shape any, because a Soulborn is limited to 0 soulmelds at level 1. Not 0 Soulborn soulmelds, no, that would make too much sense, just 0 soulmelds.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
    Let's start with the Meldshaping classes. They all have a table that gives a number for both soulmelds shaped per day and maximum soulmelds shaped at any time. However, in the description of this, it doesn't say it's a maximum for soulmelds shaped from any specific class levels, it's just a global maximum. Let's say you're a 10th level Incarnate. You can have 6 soulmelds shaped at once. But then you take a level of Totemist. You can now only shape a total of 2 soulmelds from both classes, because your Incarnate soulmelds count against your Totemist limit.
    Meldshaping abilities from different classes explicitly remain completely separate, per the rules for multiclass meldshapers (Magic of Incarnum, p. 20).
    Last edited by Karnith; 2013-10-24 at 02:51 PM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Also, the shape soulmeld feat has nothing to do with your shaping class. It uses it's own specific rules. Of course you can still bind it to your available chakras and invest essentia into it.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

4. - Top - End - #274
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Has the whole "what happens to an Animal if its intelligence score becomes 3 or greater?" bit of fogginess been brought up yet/before? I looked through the handbook thread, but couldn't figure out where it'd even fit in.

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Interesting fact, an animal companion gaining intelligence does not automatically force it to stop being an animal companion. Awakening it does, but simply wishing it to have a higher int only raises its int up.

The wish would cost a bit on the hired caster chart, but by RAW it should work (as long as you can keep your animal good.)
    Why isn't this in the dysfunctional rules thread ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Interesting fact, an animal companion gaining intelligence does not automatically force it to stop being an animal companion. Awakening it does, but simply wishing it to have a higher int only raises its int up.
    That stops it from being an Animal immediately:
    Animal Type
    Intelligence score of 1 or 2 (no creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher can be an animal).
    Note the "be", as opposed to "start as".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant
    The wish would cost a bit on the hired caster chart, but by RAW it should work (as long as you can keep your animal good.)
    No, I don't think the RAW works that way.
    A 1st-level druid’s companion is completely typical for its kind except as noted below. As a druid advances in level, the animal’s power increases as shown on the table.
    If it's not an Animal, it's definitely not "typical for its kind except as noted below", and its power isn't simply as specified on the table.

This doesn't say what type it becomes, so that's still a dysfunction. But after an Animal gets an INT above 2, it no longer qualifies as either an Animal or an Animal Companion.

So here's an interesting consequence: you can wipe out all of a Druid's Animal Companion class features by hitting the Companion with Fox's Cunning.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Has the whole "what happens to an Animal if its intelligence score becomes 3 or greater?" bit of fogginess been brought up yet/before? I looked through the handbook thread, but couldn't figure out where it'd even fit in.
    Just to be clear, the dysfunction actually comes from this part:

Quote Originally Posted by Animal Traits
    Intelligence score of 1 or 2 (no creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher can be an animal).
    So if you Wish an animal's Intelligence up or give it a Headband, it loses the Animal Type... without gaining a new type in its place.

EDIT: Swordsage'd.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2013-10-24 at 06:12 PM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

7. - Top - End - #277

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Just to be clear, the dysfunction actually comes from this part:

Quote Originally Posted by Animal Traits
    So if you Wish an animal's Intelligence up or give it a Headband, it loses the Animal Type... without gaining a new type in its place.
    Indeed, I was mostly quoting that one as part of the post by nedz quoting it.

Though the bit where an Animal Companion can make itself cease to be an Animal Companion via its bonus HD giving it an ability score increase that can be applied to Intelligence or lose Animal Companion benefits by being hit by Fox's Cunning or having an item of +int put on it seems like an inter-related rules dysfunction, or, maybe a secondary effect of it?

...It loses the bonus HD once it stops being an animal companion, does that mean it also loses the increase to its intelligence ability score and then becomes an animal again?
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    So here's an interesting consequence: you can wipe out all of a Druid's Animal Companion class features by hitting the Companion with Fox's Cunning.
    Bear: *Buffed* "I'm too smart for this companion business, bye"
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Bear: *Buffed* "I'm too smart for this companion business, bye"
    Related.

+1 White Text of Posting
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

But it doesn't stop an Elf Ranger's elven hound companion.

Does an animal companion stop being an animal companion if it gets polymorphed?

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

o.0

Yep. That's a pretty good way of handling it.

Sidenote: VoP bonus feats can be used to protect your AnC from this, ironically.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

Sidenote: VoP bonus feats can be used to protect your AnC from this, ironically.
    Ok, could you explain that one too me. I'm coming up blank here.

Current avatar by me

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    But it doesn't stop an Elf Ranger's elven hound companion.
    Elven Hound Companion (Ex): A 4th-level elf ranger can select an elven hound (see page 189) as his animal companion, even though the creature is a magical beast.
    Specific exceptions are golden.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0
    Does an animal companion stop being an animal companion if it gets polymorphed?
    If it stops being an Animal, yes it does. I guess an Elven Hound Companion could remain if it were Polymorphed into an Animal form, though; that Companion is good for two types.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, could you explain that one too me. I'm coming up blank here.
    VoP gets bonus exalted feats.
    Exalted Companion is an [Exalted] feat that lets you use a magical beast (Like a celestial fleshraker), which is immune to the given strategy.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2013-10-25 at 12:16 AM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, new anti animal companion strategy. Polymorph them into forms you can use to fight the druid or ranger with.

Current avatar by me

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, new anti animal companion strategy. Polymorph them into forms you can use to fight the druid or ranger with.
    Polymorph gives you no form of control over the polymorphed creature. So even when the creature leaves the druid's service it does not work for you.

17. - Top - End - #287

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Polymorph gives you no form of control over the polymorphed creature. So even when the creature leaves the druid's service it does not work for you.
    And unless the Druid was really treating it poorly, it's still going to be fairly well-disposed even if the magical bond is broken.
    Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Depends on the type of polymorph used. POA it into a greatsword or probably something more useful to you.

Current avatar by me

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

If you're at PAO levels, somehow I don't think 2d6+STR is going to be all that impressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    If you're at PAO levels, somehow I don't think 2d6+STR is going to be all that impressive
    I don't know, a celestial dire tiger can be pretty nasty. Then there is the celestial horrid tiger to consider.

Current avatar by me

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Thze point isn't that you get 2d6+1.5*STR, the point is that the druid does no longer have an animal companion.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, did you mean the greatsword? That's why I said probably something more useful. Think of an inanimate object that would be useful in a fight against a druid.

Current avatar by me

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

The PAOed Animal Companion is under no obligation to attack its former master.

Possible dysfunction of PAO:

Polymorph any object states:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    This spell cannot create material of great intrinsic value, such as copper, silver, gems, silk, gold, platinum, mithral, or adamantine.
    What's great intrinsic value? While the examples only include precious metals, stones and trade good, doesn't anything with a cost listed in any of the books have intrinsic value? How much gp/lb or gp/item is considered great?

Wouldn't that mean that you cannot pao anything into an object, depending on where the minimum for greatness is? Additionally do ladders (which get cut up into 10 ft poles) have great intrinsic value?

Thirdly don't most (humanoid) races have a published value as slaves....

Forget it. the text only talks about materials, not objects in general.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-10-25 at 02:24 AM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

If you have access to PaO, and want to screw over a druid, dispelling his armour to suppress the magic for 1d4 rounds, followed up by PaO and turning it into a breastplate turns off all his abilities for 24 hours.
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

25. - Top - End - #295
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by One Step Two View Post
    If you have access to PaO, and want to screw over a druid, dispelling his armour to suppress the magic for 1d4 rounds, followed up by PaO and turning it into a breastplate turns off all his abilities for 24 hours.
    Oh, that's just mean. Nice.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Step Two View Post
    I thought about that, but the spell is very unlikely to work. The armor is attended by the druid so it gets his good fortitude save which is probably modified by a great constitution from his wild shape.

It's more likely to succeed on an animal companion because they have less HD. Still wouldn't do it to certain animals because of their huge constitution scores. You probably want irresistible spell to up the DC on the POA.

Also, you can get access to POA pretty early. In this case, if you are a wizard hire a wizard to cast it so you can make a scroll. It only costs 1360 gp so it isn't in the generally not available category. Convincing your DM that it should be available is another matter.

Current avatar by me

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

I'd like to note a dysfunction I don't see listed in the Handbook.

Distraction (Ex): Any living creature vulnerable to a swarm’s damage that begins its turn with a swarm in its square is nauseated for 1 round ...
    Doesn't say the swarm is immune to its own effect, if it's a living creature vulnerable to its damage, which is certainly possible for swarms of Tiny creatures. Fine and Diminutive swarms are immune to "weapon" damage, which I believe would exempt them from this problem.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

28. - Top - End - #298
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    I'd like to note a dysfunction I don't see listed in the Handbook.

Doesn't say the swarm is immune to its own effect, if it's a living creature vulnerable to its damage, which is certainly possible for swarms of Tiny creatures. Fine and Diminutive swarms are immune to "weapon" damage, which I believe would exempt them from this problem.
    It does specify vulnerable to the damage. Normally you cannot attack yourself and thus are not vulnerable to it. Now if you can find a way to make a swarm attack itself then it becomes vulnerable to itself and will nauseate itself. Of course this will be difficult as the most common type of swarm, vermin, is mindless and thus not susceptible to mind control.
    Last edited by Talderas; 2013-10-25 at 10:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeZero View Post
    i'm not going to act like a complete idiot and cripple myself, either, just so that YOU can feel like you are awesomely powerful playing your crossbow barbarian or whatever.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

Nausea is a mind-affecting ability?

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Sure ain't.

Nauseated
    Experiencing stomach distress. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn.