New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules IV- It's like a sandwich made of RAW failure!

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    Handbook is here, although it looks like it hasn't been updated since early November (and the current thread hasn't been added yet, by the looks of it).
    A Link can normally be found in my signature, but since this is signature swap week someone else is looking after it.

I did the last 10 pages of thread 3 and was hoping someone would pick up the slack on thread 3, since I have to compile them all anyway. I will make a start on thread 4 shortly if no one else jumps in.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

2. - Top - End - #692
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Actually, this bit comes after:

...and it makes no differentiation between a Tiny- creature and a Small+ creature. Unless your target is helpless, you cannot end your movement in an opponent's square.

Yes, the RAI is that a Tiny- creature can enter an opponent's square to attack, but RAW there are no provisions that allow a Tiny- creature to end their movement in a larger creature's square, just provisions that allow them to move through during their movement--which means that, without an ability that allows them to attack during their movement (such as Spring Attack), a Tiny- creature can't attack a non-helpless opponent in melee, as they're required to end their movement in an opponent's square to do so.
    I would like to point out that tiny or smaller creatures being able to enter a non-helpless creature's square seems more specific no creature can end their movement in a non-helpless creature's square.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    ...and it makes no differentiation between a Tiny- creature and a Small+ creature. Unless your target is helpless, you cannot end your movement in an opponent's square.
    I realize that as presented we see this rule:
    Quote Originally Posted by srd
    You can’t end your movement in the same square as another creature unless it is helpless.
    Followed soon after by this rule
    Quote Originally Posted by srd
    A Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny creature can move into or through an occupied square.
    (emphasis added)

This is precisely why I argue RAW is so clear. We first see the general rule: You cannot end in an opponent's square. We then see a specific exception to this rule: Tiny and smaller creatures can end in an opponent's square.
    We have been presented with two conflicting sentences. As is RAW, the more specific takes precedence (as specific trumps general), and Tiny and smaller creatures can enter the squares of an opponent. The more specific sentence says "into" which to me means you can move into your opponent's square.

If you need further convincing, the Rules Compendium actually clears this up. It helpfully says
    If you’re Small or larger, you usually can’t end your movement in a square occupied by another Small or larger creature...Tiny and smaller creatures can freely share space with
    other creatures.
    EDIT: As for compiling, I'll have some free time to do some starting this Saturday, so I can take the next chunk.
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2013-12-04 at 06:19 PM.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

4. - Top - End - #694
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to disagree with you, but it will boil down to the same argument I've presented above, so I'm not going to argue it any further.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Titan in the Playground

I'm with Fax here: The rules say that you can move into the square; they don't say you don't have to immediately move back out of it.

That said, isn't there some rule that automatically moves you out of a square if you try to end your turn in another creature's space? It seems like tiny creatures could exploit that.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

6. - Top - End - #696
    Titan in the Playground

This is more of a fluff/crunch disconnect.

Changelings are described as being created from a union between Humans and Dopplegangers (MM3 p24), yet they do not qualify for Able Learner although both Humans and Dopplegangers do.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Warped Druid Handbook

7. - Top - End - #697
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    This is more of a fluff/crunch disconnect.

Changelings are described as being created from a union between Humans and Dopplegangers (MM3 p24), yet they do not qualify for Able Learner although both Humans and Dopplegangers do.
    From the Adaptation section on the Chameleon class: "If you're using the EBERRON Campaign Setting, the chameleon prestige class should be available to changeling player characters as well as humans and doppelgangers. In this case, the Able Learner feat extends to changelings as well."

8. - Top - End - #698
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    I'm with Fax here: The rules say that you can move into the square; they don't say you don't have to immediately move back out of it.
    It's worse than that: you can't end your movement in an occupied square. Spring Attack gets around this by splitting a move action around an attack action, so the movement isn't ended if you share the opponent's square for the attack. Excepting this sort of "interrupted" move (and note this rule precedes the existence of immediate actions), all you can do is move through.

Unless you're Tiny or smaller, that is — as pointed out in the basic rules, and stated more clearly in Rules Compendium.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    That said, isn't there some rule that automatically moves you out of a square if you try to end your turn in another creature's space? It seems like tiny creatures could exploit that.
    It only covers accidentally ending movement in an illegal space; nothing about intentionally doing so (probably because the paragraph immediately preceding it states that you can't end movement in an occupied square).

10. - Top - End - #700
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gadora View Post
    From the Adaptation section on the Chameleon class: "If you're using the EBERRON Campaign Setting, the chameleon prestige class should be available to changeling player characters as well as humans and doppelgangers. In this case, the Able Learner feat extends to changelings as well."
    Plus, their's a splatbook (Races of Destiny, I think) that says any half-human races get a [Human] Subtype, which lets you qualify for anything requiring you to be human (and a feat that lets you pick up the subtype, indicating you have just enough human blood for it to manner (like say, being a 7/8 elf, 1/8 human)).

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

Races of Destiny is also the book that Able Learner and the Chameleon class come from.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Plus, their's a splatbook (Races of Destiny, I think) that says any half-human races get a [Human] Subtype, which lets you qualify for anything requiring you to be human (and a feat that lets you pick up the subtype, indicating you have just enough human blood for it to manner (like say, being a 7/8 elf, 1/8 human)).
    That's not quite right. All of what that says is dependent on the DM deciding to use a two-part variant (Races of Destiny, page 150). Only if the second part of that variant is in place will having the human subtype be enough to qualify you for something where Human race is required (and the same goes for the feat). Subtypes and races are different D&D categories.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Changelings are Humanoid (shapechanger) — half human in fluff only.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

14. - Top - End - #704
    Titan in the Playground

Another dysfunction which effects all Devotion feats combined with the elemental domains.

E.g.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complete Champion p59
    Healing Devotion
    If you have the ability to turn or rebuke undead, you gain one additional daily use of this feat for each daily turn or rebuke use you expend.
    Suppose I have the Water domain, say, and can Turn Fire/Rebuke Water ?

Now the RAI is fairly obvious in that you shouldn't be able to use these to power Devotion feats, but that's not what it says.
    Last edited by nedz; 2013-12-05 at 02:11 PM.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

15. - Top - End - #705
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
    I would say RAI is very clear on this one, but A)that's not what this thread is about and B) With things like feats that require it, it wouldn't be the first, nor the last, time that the writers didn't understand the rules while making up new ones.
    Is it really not what the thread was about? I thought this thread was for documenting actually-broken rules in need of houseruling to clean up (Such as Spot/Listen checks). If there's no need to make a houserule, or if the "Houserule" is the same as the written rule, then it's not dysfunctional and thus not the point of this thread.
    Changelings are Humanoid (shapechanger) — half human in fluff only.
    Fluff and crunch are both rules. Otherwise, we'd all be playing 4e.

Also, the Adaption section extends Human+Doppleganger feats/abilities to extend to Changelings.
    Last edited by Scow2; 2013-12-05 at 12:10 PM.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Colossus in the Playground

Another dysfunction which effects all Devotion feats combined with the elemental domains.

E.g.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complete Champion p59
    Healing Devotion
    If you have the ability to turn or rebuke undead, you gain one additional daily use of this feat for each daily turn or rebuke use you expend.
    Suppose I have the Water domain, say, and can Turn Fire/Rebuke Water ?

Now the RAI is fairly obvious in that you shouldn't be able to use these to power Devotion feats, but that's not what it says.
    That's not really what this thread is for. While it's a slip that lets characters get lots of uses, it's not dysfunctional by any definition.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2013-12-05 at 12:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

17. - Top - End - #707
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scow2 View Post
    Is it really not what the thread was about? I thought this thread was for documenting actually-broken rules in need of houseruling to clean up (Such as Spot/Listen checks). If there's no need to make a houserule, or if the "Houserule" is the same as the written rule, then it's not dysfunctional and thus not the point of this thread.
    Please indicate the rule, then, where it states that a Tiny- creature is exempt from the ban on ending movement in an occupied square.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ettin in the Playground

"Moving into" as opposed to "moving through" an opponent's square means the creature ends its movement in the opponent's square.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRd
    A Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny creature can move into or through an occupied square.
    Since those two are connected by "or" and not "and", they do not occur on the same movement.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Titan in the Playground

...which is still not an exemption to this rule:

Ending Your Movement
    You can't end your movement in the same square as another creature unless it is helpless.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ettin in the Playground

I just explained why it is. Once again, the quoted rule allows the tiny or smaller creature to move into and not through any occupied square, not just those occupied by a helpless creature. Such a movement obviously ends in an occupied square. The rule cannot exist unless it overrides the general rule of not being allowed to end the movement in an occupied square unless the occupant is helpless.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Titan in the Playground

I said I wasn't going to argue about this here, and apparently I lied. If people really want to argue about it, I guess I could start another thread.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ettin in the Playground

Found another one:

The morphing property is supposed to only allow a weapon to be changed within its category. However in the categories light, one-handed and two-handed there are always weapons that are also classified as thrown weapons.

So take any light weapon and transform it into a throwing axe (because that weapon also is a thrown weapon). The throwing axe as a thrown weapon can be transformed into any other thrown weapon. A trident is a one-handed melee weapon besides being a thrown weapon, a spear is a two-handed melee weapon beside being a thrown weapon.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Found another one:

The morphing property is supposed to only allow a weapon to be changed within its category. However in the categories light, one-handed and two-handed there are always weapons that are also classified as thrown weapons.

So take any light weapon and transform it into a throwing axe (because that weapon also is a thrown weapon). The throwing axe as a thrown weapon can be transformed into any other thrown weapon. A trident is a one-handed melee weapon besides being a thrown weapon, a spear is a two-handed melee weapon beside being a thrown weapon.
    I think you're mixing classifications. Weapons lists throwing as a category along with reach, double, projectile, and ammunition, while light, one-handed, and melee are categories on a separate axis and listed in a different section. In fact, here (emphasis added).
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD Weapons
    Weapons are grouped into several interlocking sets of categories.

These categories pertain to what training is needed to become proficient in a weapon’s use (simple, martial, or exotic), the weapon’s usefulness either in close combat (melee) or at a distance (ranged, which includes both thrown and projectile weapons), its relative encumbrance (light, one-handed, or two-handed), and its size (Small, Medium, or Large).
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

24. - Top - End - #714
    Ettin in the Playground

I know that those are interlocking. The problem is that some weapons are classified as both:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Daggers, clubs, shortspears, spears, darts, javelins, throwing axes, light hammers, tridents, shuriken, and nets are thrown weapons.
    This table however also list some of them as light, one-handed or two-handed weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by MIC p. 39
    You can reshape a morphing weapon into any other melee or thrown weapon of the same size and type (light, one-handed, or two-handed). For instance, a morphing greatsword could become a spear, greataxe, or dire flail.
    The rules do not say that thrown weapons are further divided into light thrown, one-handed thrown and two-handed thrown weapons.
    So this either means that you can do the aforementioned chain, or dedicated thrown weapons (javelin, net, shuriken) cannot be morphed at all because they lack a classification for melee.
    Either way it's dysfunctional.

25. - Top - End - #715

SwashbucklerGuy

One issue with that: It clarifies, in the description of Morphing, that "Type" in this instance refers to "Light, One-handed, or Two-handed".
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Titan in the Playground

One issue with that: It clarifies, in the description of Morphing, that "Type" in this instance refers to "Light, One-handed, or Two-handed".
    Feycraft bastard sword counts as all three.

27. - Top - End - #717

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Feycraft bastard sword counts as all three.
    So if you have a Morphing Feycraft Bastard Sword, you technically have any weapon you want at any time? Count me in!
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ettin in the Playground

IN that case javelins and shuriken and possibly other dedicated thrown weapons cannot be morphed at all despite being valid targets for the enchantment, because they are neither light, nor one-handed nor two-handed weapons, they are ranged weapons. Hence the dysfunction.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-12-08 at 01:02 PM.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Barbarian in the Playground

Post Re: Dysfunctional Rules IV- It's like a sandwich made of RAW failure!

The Master of Many Forms (Complete Adventurer) lets you speak to any creature you change into as if you knew their language while allowing you to retain all your normal speech as well.
    So when I can change into humanoids I can change into a Drow, and while speaking to a drow I can speak Undercommon and Elvish, but not when I speak to other humanoids even other Elves.
    Or when you can change into a Hill giant you can speak Giant, but not to Fire giants or ogres...
    That is so darn goofy.

Funny enough would that mean if you had a room full of all the elvish races and used example #1, as long as you were speaking to only the drow, every elf in the room would here you speaking elvish?

30. - Top - End - #720
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    IN that case javelins and shuriken and possibly other dedicated thrown weapons cannot be morphed at all despite being valid targets for the enchantment, because they are neither light, nor one-handed nor two-handed weapons, they are ranged weapons. Hence the dysfunction.
    Though, if ranged weapons could be two- or one-handed, then a Large creature could dual-wield two Medium bows and still fire both of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting