New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules IV- It's like a sandwich made of RAW failure!

Praying for spells at dusk seems mainly a flavor thing. The fact that it results in a necessary adjustment of game play to avoid hitting against the 8 hour spells rule seems dysfunctional.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Telepathic bond is not mind-affecting, so you can slap it on a treant, a ghoul, or an inevitable with no difficulty whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

It doesn't seem that dysfunctional. You could argue that it's more like giving someone a magic cellphone then trying to actually affect their mind.

After all, Sending isn't Mind Effecting either.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I was reading through Tome of Magic looking at random stuff when I found this -

Disciple of the Word (p 216)

Monk Abilities: A disciple of the word adds her class level to her monk level to determine her ... flurry of blows penalty...

A disciple of the word does not count her class levels for the purpose of determining when she gains any other monk class features, such as reduced penalties for flurry of blows attack rolls ...

So which is it? Do we add them or not?
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    It doesn't seem that dysfunctional. You could argue that it's more like giving someone a magic cellphone then trying to actually affect their mind.

After all, Sending isn't Mind Effecting either.
    Sending, though, doesn't (from what I'm reading) indicate anything about a mental message or whatever. It could just as easily be the magic cellphone effect, perhaps evoking your words to come out near the target or what have you.

But telepathic bond, for all that it's Divination, is obviously meddling directly with its subjects' minds. So that's just baffling to me.
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    Sending, though, doesn't (from what I'm reading) indicate anything about a mental message or whatever. It could just as easily be the magic cellphone effect, perhaps evoking your words to come out near the target or what have you.

But telepathic bond, for all that it's Divination, is obviously meddling directly with its subjects' minds. So that's just baffling to me.
    So are you arguing that it is a RAI dysfunction? By the RAW, even creatures with immunity to certain conditions can be affected if willing (by dropping their immunity), and telepathic bond only affects willing creatures.

I don't think this is the thread for RAI dysfunctions, though.

So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

I'm with the RAW dysfunction here, since the basically-equivalent psionic version, mindlink, is Telepathy [Mind-Affecting].

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    I'm with the RAW dysfunction here, since the basically-equivalent psionic version, mindlink, is Telepathy [Mind-Affecting].
    Again, willing target. Willing targets can drop immunity to almost anything they wish (although, as a standard action - readied, in this case?). Psionics and Magic, despite transparency, are different, and function in different ways (magic mantle excepted).

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    Again, willing target. Willing targets can drop immunity to almost anything they wish (although, as a standard action - readied, in this case?). Psionics and Magic, despite transparency, are different, and function in different ways (magic mantle excepted).
    Read the text of the spell. They are virtually identical, barring target quantities (and mindlink has an augment that lets you manifest it on an unwilling creature, so...).

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

So, I was reading through Tome of Magic looking at random stuff when I found this -

Disciple of the Word (p 216)

Monk Abilities: A disciple of the word adds her class level to her monk level to determine her ... flurry of blows penalty...

A disciple of the word does not count her class levels for the purpose of determining when she gains any other monk class features, such as reduced penalties for flurry of blows attack rolls ...

So which is it? Do we add them or not?
    From a certain point of view, the Disciple of the Word PrC actually increases the penalty on FoB.

Who knew Truenaming had such bad editing?

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Quoth Fax:

Read the text of the spell. They are virtually identical, barring target quantities (and mindlink has an augment that lets you manifest it on an unwilling creature, so...).
    Well, that accounts for that, then. Since Telepathic Bond only works on willing targets anyway, it doesn't matter whether it's [mind effecting] or not, since immune creatures would just lower their immunity. But Mindlink can be forced on unwilling targets, so it matters, and so they added the tag.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Can you actually lower immunity from mind affecting from mindlessness? Because that sounds kind of dysfunctional in itself; spontaneous development of intelligence in less than six seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not aware that you can lower immunities. SR has an explicit exception.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

This could be a stupid question, but where does it say you can lower immunity. I know that you can lower spell resistance and that some cases of immunity explicitly give exceptions or allow you to willingly take effects. But I can't find a general rule for immunities that don't explicitly say anything.

Edit: ninja'd by several minutes. wait, I remeber a discussion about the definition of getting monk'd, this might fall into that.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-10-16 at 10:34 AM.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

No Monk'd is like Ninja'd only you miss by hours, if not days. The worst I've seen was 2 1/2 years, thread necromancy was involved obviously.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Well, if you're mindless, you can't do much of anything, beyond what you're instinctively programmed to do, and Telepathic Bond would pick up a blank, anyway.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Well, that accounts for that, then. Since Telepathic Bond only works on willing targets anyway, it doesn't matter whether it's [mind effecting] or not, since immune creatures would just lower their immunity. But Mindlink can be forced on unwilling targets, so it matters, and so they added the tag.
    It does matter, since lowering immunity (or, I think, raising it again) is a standard action, so that's an extra delay.

But eh.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Can you actually lower immunity from mind affecting from mindlessness? Because that sounds kind of dysfunctional in itself; spontaneous development of intelligence in less than six seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    I'm not aware that you can lower immunities. SR has an explicit exception.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    This could be a stupid question, but where does it say you can lower immunity. I know that you can lower spell resistance and that some cases of immunity explicitly give exceptions or allow you to willingly take effects. But I can't find a general rule for immunities that don't explicitly say anything.

Edit: ninja'd by several minutes. wait, I remeber a discussion about the definition of getting monk'd, this might fall into that.

PHB p 177. Even creatures with a special immunity to certain magic can suppress that ability. It is under voluntarily failing saving throws, but describes an elf accepting a sleep spell.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

PHB p 177. Even creatures with a special immunity to certain magic can suppress that ability. It is under voluntarily failing saving throws, but describes an elf accepting a sleep spell.
    That is very informative, thank you.

It does matter, since lowering immunity (or, I think, raising it again) is a standard action, so that's an extra delay.

But eh.
    You are thinking of lowering spell resistance, which is a standard action to lower and remains lowered until the start of your turn. You need to lower it every turn if you want to keep it down.

Based on PH pg 177, creatures with "special resistance" can just chose to not use it. Unless you can find a more specific rule for immunity.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    You are thinking of lowering spell resistance, which is a standard action to lower and remains lowered until the start of your turn. You need to lower it every turn if you want to keep it down.

Based on PH pg 177, creatures with "special resistance" can just chose to not use it. Unless you can find a more specific rule for immunity.
    I was, yes, mostly because the alternative was too baffling to initially think of.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure this is a full on dysfunction, but it does fly in the face of reason.

Intimidating Strike is a standard action so you can't use it on a charge.

Aren't charges meant to be intimidating ?
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

22. - Top - End - #202
    Halfling in the Playground

I agree. It now seems the disfunction is my Undead minions can lower their special immunities to be granted Morale bonuses.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GlorinSteampike View Post
    I agree. It now seems the disfunction is my Undead minions can lower their special immunities to be granted Morale bonuses.
    Isn't there actually a bardic ACF or something for that apparent purpose? Or is that just so you can fascinate and suggestion your enemies?

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Isn't there actually a bardic ACF or something for that apparent purpose? Or is that just so you can fascinate and suggestion your enemies?
    There is a feat called Requiem in libris mortis.

Current avatar by me

25. - Top - End - #205
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Does that mean that mindless vermin and oozes can also lower their immunity to mind-affecting spells? If so, that seems really wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    We live in the land of the internets, where arguing is never pointless.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 3WhiteFox3 View Post
    Does that mean that mindless vermin and oozes can also lower their immunity to mind-affecting spells? If so, that seems really wrong.
    Wouldn't they need to willingly lower that immunity? Consciously make an effort to suppress it? Isn't that then a moot point, seeing as they are mindless and cannot think "Oh, hey, it might be a good idea to lower my immunity to things that alter my mind"?
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

for vermin and oozes this sounds indeed wrong, but I can see golems and other mindless constructs to have received such instructions.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

*coughs*

To rephrase, as rule that implies that it's possible to spontaneously generate a mind to affect by [mind affecting] spells with a Standard Action seems pretty dysfunctional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SRD; magic overview
    Voluntarily Giving up a Saving Throw

A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a spell’s result. Even a character with a special resistance to magic can suppress this quality.
    This is the rules text on trial here. To me the words voluntary and willingly imply that a creature must have intelligence to use them. It doesn't seem to imply anything about mindless creatures spontaneously having the mind to forego a saving throw or special resistance.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-10-17 at 12:32 AM.

Current avatar by me

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Additionally being mindless is not a special imunity to magic, it is being an invalid target for mind-affecting abilities. Just as you cannot dominate a chair, you cannot dominate a mindless creature.
    If however an intelligent creature somehow acquired immunity to mind-affecting abilities, it could suppress that immunity.