New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default A more EPIC system?

Ok, so I love DnD 3.5, but I'm never happy until I get to lvl 15 or so because I like being super powerful (and sometimes that's when wonky character builds finally make sense). Is there a system where you start off (and end up) more powerful?
    The game doesn't start until you reach epic levels.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: A more EPIC system?

that is pretty much the point of Exalted, if I understood that game correctly. Mutants and Masterminds or Gurps Powers/Superheroes also work, obviously
    Play the world, not the rules. Numbers don't add up to a game - ideas do.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

HeroQuest (ex Hero Wars) is intended for Glorantha, and does perfectly at modelling a world that includes heroes whose powers rival the gods. RuneQuest can bend to this, too, but isn't really meant for that level of play.

As an example of the epic style possible, the great Gloranthan novel King of Sartar describes a battle where Harrek the Berserk (one of the "Super-Heroes" of the setting, originally in the Chainmail sense...) and his boon companions are struck by a magical attack marshalled by hundreds of sun priests; Harrek's control over magic reflects the attack back and blinds the priests, and only half of his band are incinerated and melted... that's what HeroQuest is meant to model.

Both systems only give you what you put into them, though; they don't produce specific results in the same way as Exalted or Dungeons & Dragons do.

Also, starting your characters out at heroic levels doesn't work too well in either HeroQuest or RuneQuest, because they end up lacking the most important thing at that level of play: solid connections to the world, which are best developed during play.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Fantasy Craft is a slightly higher general power level, aside from spellcasters who get a bit of a nerf (the only core spellcaster, the Mage, works out quite similar in relative power-level-to-other-classes to 3.5's partial casters, such as the Duskblade or Beguiler, and the plan is to keep the 8 new base spellcasting classes due out in the Spellbound expansion to the same power level).
    Last edited by paddyfool; 2013-09-28 at 06:19 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

There's Mythender, which is free, it's all about you going around bringing doom to various deities, whilst you yourself resist the temptation to ascend to the position. Haven't actually played it yet, but the premise looks cool and the system is pretty simple.
    Last edited by Arcane_Snowman; 2013-09-28 at 07:46 AM.
    Fantastic avatar by Akrim.elf.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm gonna second Exalted, but...

I will say that there is nothing stopping you from starting a 3.5 game at level 15. Or higher.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

I would say Champions might give you what you want :)

8. - Top - End - #8

I can't seem to figure out how Exalted works. Are there classes?
    The game doesn't start until you reach epic levels.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

If you're looking into Exalted, I'd wait until the new edition comes out next month-- 2e is kind of a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Weiser_Cain View Post
    ...ish. There are a few levels of character sorting:
    • First, there's the type of Exalt you are. I guess you could think of it as a class, even though fluff-wise it's more of a race. Solars are generic heroes, Lunars are wilderness shapeshifters, and so on.
    • Secondly, there's your caste. That gives you your anima ability, and a bunch of your... well, let's say class skills. It certainly suggests a role-- a Twilight caste is usually a healer, a scholar, and/or a mage-- but it's not restrictive.

After that, it's mostly point-buy-- you earn experience points while playing, and you can spend them to buy new ranks of skills and abilities, new charms (fancy super powers), and everything else on your sheet.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Nope, but there are different types of characters with different kinds of powers, and most of them have different subtypes (like Castes and Aspects) that specialize in different parts of their powers.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Nope, but there are different types of characters with different kinds of powers, and most of them have different subtypes (like Castes and Aspects) that specialize in different parts of their powers.
    So that's a yes then.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Grue View Post
    So that's a yes then.
    Not so much. It's more like favored classes. A Twilight caste gets all the wizard-y skills as "class skills" (they're cheaper), but you still pick another handful of "class skills" independent of caste. As I understand it, you could totally make a Twilight-caste warrior, or a Dawn-caste sorcerer.

Though I'd still recommended M&M over 2e Exalted any day, from a mechanics point of view.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2013-09-28 at 04:18 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

...If you're looking for classes, you're going to have a lot of trouble with pretty much any system that isn't D&D or someone's variant of D&D.

So that's a yes then.
    No. Every Caste has access to every ability and every Charm of their exalt type (so long as they meet the ability/attribute and Essence prerequisites), which is so broad that it can't be called a class any more (even wizard defines your base attack bonus and saving throws). The only thing Caste does is pre-set half your favored abilities/attributes, and give you a minor ability.

Keep in mind, though, that Exalted is only epic because you're comparing yourself to the masses of mortals and rolling lots of dice. You don't get to be Big Damn Heroes (what do you mean you're just using the mechanics and not the setting? Nobody plays Exalted for the mechanics!).

Burn Legend might work.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2013-09-28 at 04:57 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

14. - Top - End - #14

So that's a yes then.
    It's still different from the classes you're used to if you only know D&D. Save for the one caste ability, every Exalt can learn anything, it just gives them a kind of focus. A Dawn caste will always have the potential to be a great fighter, but nothing's stopping you from making him just as awesome a scholar as a Twilight (of course then he'll be a much worse fighter than the Dawn that's completely battle-minded), it's a LOT less restrictive than most class systems, even though yes, they still can be called character classes.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Very, very broadly, you could sort of consider individual types of Exaltation as 'classes', if you squint hard enough.

But honestly, Exalted is not a class-based system. Within your chosen Exalt type, you can do anything another of your Exalt type could do. Most games focus on only one type (the huge crossovers, popular though they may be on the Internet, are pretty rare all told).
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't call Exalts classes. There can be Solar fighter, face, smart guy, stealth guy and ranger…but there can also be Lunar versions of all of those as well, and Dragon-Blooded versions of all those, and so on and so forth.

an Exalt could be any DnD class you care to name, they just have additional powers on top of that. except wizards or clerics. Exalted doesn't have normal spellcasting like them, the classes they can emulate are largely physical fighter types, or rogues or a non-spellcasting bards, martial artists, things like that

actual Sorcery in Exalted is more like ritual summoning, since summoning is really the only useful spell, the rest are either spells completely useless for small-scale combat or utility, and all them are rituals.

so yeah, Exalts, not classes, but their power cover a wide range of classes, clerics and wizards not included, because Exalted doesn't like those classes.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

An Exalt can play very much like a D&D Wizard, honestly. Maybe not a Solar, but a Dragon-Blooded or Green Sun Prince can pull it off with their charms. Lots of charms are very 'spell-like'.

Remember, Wizards in D&D cast their magic in six seconds. Most charms also take about six seconds to perform. Sorcery is its own thing - more like epic spells by D&D standards.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

18. - Top - End - #18

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm not sure you're looking for epic as much as simply high-powered.

Mutants & Masterminds comes to mind. You aren't as powerful as a 15th level wizard, but even starting characters get a handful of good abilities that make them feel really powerful and capable.

Exalted has already been mentioned. Nobilis also comes to mind; here is a thread discussing the things the system can do. There's also Scion: Hero, another White Wolf system similar to Exalted but with a "mortal humans with few god abilities" starting point. It's also a bit more awkward of a system to use.

Some other White Wolf games, notably Mage, can give you some pretty crazy capabilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

oh quit with your original definition nonsense. I'm really getting tired of "dur you actually mean this" it doesn't actually help anything and is just being pedantic for the sake of pedantry.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane_Snowman View Post
    There's Mythender, which is free, it's all about you going around bringing doom to various deities, whilst you yourself resist the temptation to ascend to the position. Haven't actually played it yet, but the premise looks cool and the system is pretty simple.
    I'm going to second this. Although, the system isn't that simple. At first, anyway. It's very front-loaded. Once you begin to dig into it, it's going to seem weird and complex, but unlike a game like D&D, where things get progressively more complicated the longer you play, things stay roughly the same level of complexity from the get go. I still mix up Thunder, Lighting, and Storm dice .

But, yeah, I've been looking in to using it for a Magic The Gathering style setting, as your starting characters can already very well be planes-hopping badasses capable of pulling power from whole worlds, summoning armies, raining elemental doom over staggering portions of geography, and counterspelling an uppity god's apocalypse.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    oh quit with your original definition nonsense. I'm really getting tired of "dur you actually mean this" it doesn't actually help anything and is just being pedantic for the sake of pedantry.
    And especially when I look at the definition of the word epic

An extended narrative poem in elevated or dignified language, celebrating the feats of a deity or demigod (heroic epic) or other legendary or traditional hero.
    Save for the "poem" part, that's not really THAT far away from your typical Exalted campaign.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    And especially when I look at the definition of the word epic

Save for the "poem" part, that's not really THAT far away from your typical Exalted campaign.
    From now on, anything said by an Exalted character or GM must be said in verse!

23. - Top - End - #23

As others have said - Exalted gives you some of that super powerful feel right out of the gate by having you start as a being roughly comparable to the demigods of ancient myth (Hercules, Gilgamesh, etc). I would avoid 2nd edition, though, the mechanics are... well I think Jade Dragon's comment about not playing Exalted for the mechanics summed it up.

3rd edition Exalted is in the works now and should be coming out soon (original planned release was October but I think it's since been changed to "October at the earliest") and, thankfully, the designers handling the mechanical side of it were the ones who wrote the errata for 2e, so they know exactly what 2e did wrong. That and the combat system's sounding simpler (not that hard to do, to be honest) and more awesome (always a good thing for Exalted).

Every other game I can think of that you'd be looking for has already been mentioned by someone else - was a pretty short list anyway; M&M and Nobilis. I just felt with all the mentions Exalted had gotten, someone needed to point out its upcoming third edition.
    Avatar of Gnar'tigor - former Star Player of the Hellborn Hooligans Blood Bowl team - by Savannah

Brilliant D&D song from Aussie comedy band Tripod.
    If anyone can find a better-quality version of that, let me know.

The Hellborn Hooligans Reborn

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFighter15 View Post
    I just felt with all the mentions Exalted had gotten, someone needed to point out its upcoming third edition.
    If you're looking into Exalted, I'd wait until the new edition comes out next month-- 2e is kind of a mess.
    Yo.

Actually, there are a bunch of White Wolf games that operate-- or can operate, at least-- at a pretty high power level. Scion, Aberrant, Mage, Werewolf... I don't have personal experience with them, though, so I couldn't tell you if they work any better than Exalted.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2013-09-29 at 05:57 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFighter15 View Post
    3rd edition Exalted is in the works now and should be coming out soon (original planned release was October but I think it's since been changed to "October at the earliest") and, thankfully, the designers handling the mechanical side of it were the ones who wrote the errata for 2e, so they know exactly what 2e did wrong. That and the combat system's sounding simpler (not that hard to do, to be honest) and more awesome (always a good thing for Exalted).
    Actually, original planned release was December. 2012. But then, that was like, nine months after they announced it (although they had been working on it for an undisclosed amount of time beforehand). I thought release was going to be December this year, though.
    Yo.

Actually, there are a bunch of White Wolf games that operate-- or can operate, at least-- at a pretty high power level. Scion, Aberrant, Mage, Werewolf... I don't have personal experience with them, though, so I couldn't tell you if they work any better than Exalted.

Scion,
    Gah!

Aberrant,
    Eh?

Mage,
    Noooo!

Werewolf,
    Which one?
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2013-09-29 at 06:22 PM.
    My Steam profile

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    From now on, anything said by an Exalted character or GM must be said in verse!
    I've seen one Exalted fanfic where one entire chapter was written as a Beowulf-style alliterative heroic epic.

Another game to toss in the mix: Legend of the Wulin. It's designed to play like a wuxia story, along the lines of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or Storm Riders. Magic is a LOT less powerful than D&D magic (it's mostly for predicting the future or cursing people), but kung-fu experts (read: everyone in the setting worth mentioning) can chop anvils in half with a single blow, leap tall buildings in a single bound, paralyze with a touch, and set people on fire by punching them really hard.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Another game to toss in the mix: Legend of the Wulin. It's designed to play like a wuxia story, along the lines of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or Storm Riders. Magic is a LOT less powerful than D&D magic (it's mostly for predicting the future or cursing people), but kung-fu experts (read: everyone in the setting worth mentioning) can chop anvils in half with a single blow, leap tall buildings in a single bound, paralyze with a touch, and set people on fire by punching them really hard.
    Weapons of the Gods, by the same people, is even higher in power level. It's also wuxia, but it's wuxia of the sort where the characters in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon would be unskilled hacks.

That said: You might want to look into Nobilis. It's a game about gods, which are representative of entire aspects of existence. It is also a very odd game with very odd conflicts.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Weapons of the Gods, by the same people, is even higher in power level. It's also wuxia, but it's wuxia of the sort where the characters in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon would be unskilled hacks.

That said: You might want to look into Nobilis. It's a game about gods, which are representative of entire aspects of existence. It is also a very odd game with very odd conflicts.
    Nobilis takes the conflicts from "epic" to "alien".
    My Steam profile

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Nobilis takes the conflicts from "epic" to "alien".
    That pretty much sums it up, yes.

To contribute yet more games, there's always the super hero genre. Wild Talents can be pretty epic, as can other ORE games.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

The newest edition of Nobilis can totally be used to play a more 'normal' epic game - because it actually has resolution mechanics for mundane actions now.

A group made up entirely of high-Aspect Nobles could be pretty neat.