New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Rainbow Sno-Cones [IC]

Pilot: The Beast of Bells

The villagers of Freedom's Pl...Promise, a quaint spot a league north of Whitewall, were living peacefully by day and tormented at night. For every being, whether mortal, Exalted of The Almighty Celestial Incarnae, or recently acquired handyman genie, had dreams filled with the dreadful music of the Beast of Bells.

A great metal strix that stalked the nearby vanishing woods, its every twitch was heard. For it had no feathers but hundreds of bells big and small.

The raucous sound beckoned them to remember an ancient time, when a great city of white granite floated through the skies. The tongue of the gods scrolled on every single surface. With the mightiest of temples in its center, gilded spire and metal sentinel resting atop.

Our heroes startled awake within their beds to its distant clangs.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Rainbow Sno-Cones [IC]

As he rolls out of bed for a split second panic overcomes him. There is no comforting ticking, no muted chimes. His clock is silent, when foretells the coming of... No. There is no clock. There is very little at all. Even the bow that sits by his bed is plain wood and a little sinew. No brass gun forged in the heart of a green sun and beat into shape between the crashing layers of Malfeas. The air is pure and clear, with none of the bitter tang of vitriol that he had grown accustomed to. Sighing, he reaches for his spectacles.

As he pushes the wiry silver frames up his nose he ponders his stay in Hell. Had it been months? Seasons? It is hard to remember even now. Time had seemed odd, disjointed there. He was certain that his journey with the Mad Girl had taken at least a few weeks, but when they had returned Sandy had said that it had been little more than hours. Long enough however to develop habits, that much was certain. To create this new identity from children's stories. To learn to play a part, to seem harmless. Rolling his shoulders he slides into the well worn skin of his second self.

A hand brushed gently through his silver hair explodes with color, leaving his medium length locks flowing rivers of deep crimson. He stretches his arms and legs and they snap back, eating a few inches of height in seconds, leaving behind a shorter stockier frame than his usually lithe limbs. Yawning, his jaw cracks and shatters away, leaving behind teeth the color of weathered sandstone. As he grabs his bow and heads for the door he pushes his spectacles back, letting them sink into his eyes, the silver flames that dance behind them flaring into russet pools devoid of white.

D'Jann once more hidden, the Genie walks between the rows of plain wooden cabins, each built by his own hand. He smiles as he sees his latest creation. If memory serves already occupied. He strains to recall the names of the new tenants but they escape him. He remembers the housewarming though. The sturdy bed he'd built for them from the scraps leftover. Trailing his fingers over one of the smoothed logs he turns for the Manse with a spring in his step.

The dreams have come too often. The bells ringing has grown incessant. And he would not have the populace he has invested himself in threatened. It is time that they took up the hunt.
    Chaotic Evil Orc Barbarian as my character of choice since 2002.
    Current Josiah, God of Decay Avatar by Akrim.elf
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Black Blur ™ By kpenguin Full Orc Barbarian By Qwernt

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Rousing from her slumber, Shana's senses take in her surroundings. Her hand on the hilt of her bladed club as she drops from her hammock to the floor, bare feet slapping on the wood. She assesses the room, adjusting the fur flap over her shoulders to cover the pale glowing tattoo on her chest.

The small barbarian approached the window and looked out into the sky, trying to locate the source of the raucous. Her manse was centerpiece to this village, and if she had to climb on top to get a better vantage point she would.

Ignoring the cold weather outside, she opens the window and begins ascending the inclined roof of her manse. Small hands and feet finding rest amidst the roofing of the lodge. Passing by Astoren's room she taps the window to make sure he is awake and ready. A slight scowl as she notices he has a partner in bed with him. She never quite understood the jealousy, only that she was jealous of him giving more attention to others. It was childish and petty, but she never figure out why she felt it. She points to the roof when he looks up so he can see where she's going, then quickly climbs the rest of the way.

She stands upon the top, snow clinging to the tan skin and red hair. The ornamental bones scattered through her hair rattle in the wind. Anyone else in her attire would freeze, but a fire burns in this one, a fire from her time in the Wyld. She was a master of nature, not the other way around.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Astoren didn't dream much before the Exaltation, but his recent nights were filled with snippets from the First Age. There was a beautiful woman who he - whoever he was - cared for, and a muscular man with a handsome face and fantastic smile. Now, there were only the bells. No matter how loudly his friends shouted, Astoren could never hear them. He bolted awake. His body dripped with sweat, but he was grounded by the woman next to him. Soles' expressive eyes were wide, hands balled into fists. "Listen," she mutters.

Astoren tilts his head, and the chime makes his blood run cold. "Not again..." He runs a hand through his hair.

"Hey..." Soles presses her lips to his. So soft. Their tingle warms his blood. Astoren deepens the kiss, but there's a rap at the window. He turns his head. "Shana..." She didn't look happy from what could be seen in the darkness. Shana points upward and vanishes. Astoren sighs. "I have to go. Wait here." He pecks her on the lips, then hastily throws on some clothes and grabs his bow. Soles giggles a bit. "What?" Her cheeks blush. "You're adorable. Back as soon as I can." Astoren clambers out the window, and with some difficulty makes it onto the roof. He pulls his coat tightly around him. Shana stands there, back to him, surveying her domain. "Hey... Sorry I took so long. Needed my jacket."
    Last edited by JonRG; 2013-11-05 at 08:32 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Adam's Session One Summary

Shana awoke to an awful racket. While the Lunar spent most of her life on someone else schedule and was used to dealing with being up without warning, she wasn't pleased. Rather than let it slide, she attempted to make her way to the roof to investigate.

She stopped by Astoren's room to make sure he was up and ready to go, visibly frowning at her Solar friends choice in companion. She didn't dislike Soles, she just didn't like her getting that kind of attention from Astoren for some reason.

Upon the roof she and her fellow companions, Astoren, and the spirit D'jann, tracked the sound moving east and gave chase to a massive metallic owl covered in bells. The small lunar used her ability to shift shape to bring the massive bird down for questioning by a frozen lake.

After letting out a loud shriek the owl attempted to get away, but due to Astoren's mastery of will over the creature, it stayed, momentarily. It claimed to be an emissary of the True King of this land, The Empyreal. Whatever that meant. Shortly thereafter the beast departed from the lake, leaving the village for now... Shana knew she'd have to investigate later.

IC Downtime Skype Chat

Spoiler
    Show
    Shana: :: sword over her shoulder the child steps barefeet in the snow toward the village, the bone beads in her hair clacking in the wind ::
    Astoren: ::follows the kid with determination, purpose and gusto, et cetera::
    D'Jann: The Genie lacks Gusto. Tragically.
    Shana: :: without looking back :: "Far as i'm concerned that owl basically just said our village are are subservient to its master... That is not the case."
    D'Jann: "...If he serves who he claims to it's he was not... Entirely without merit. He used an ancient name. One that applied to Malfeas before his crippling. He may well have made this land."
    Astoren: "... huh. Nothing to worry about then, I hope."
    Shana: :: stops and looks back at the Genie :: "I do not care if he claimed to serve The Unconquered Sun. WE ARE NOT SLAVES!"
    Astoren: ::awkwardly:: "Um... what she said."
    D'Jann: "He did not call you slaves. He merely claimed this land and authority over it."
    Astoren: "Subjects, then."
    D'Jann: "Well if the ruler is not unjust... I mean you did move here. If the land is claimed... You should work out a lease at the least."
    Astoren: "If he serves an outdated master, then isn't his authority not irrelevant? He simply makes a ton of noise. Naught but sound and fury, as the saying goes."
    Shana: "He is a creature of power. if he attempts to reclaim us, we will rise back up"
    D'Jann: "...What if he's not wrong? About who he serves, I mean. The Emperyal would unsettle the balance of the world. It is your duty as Exalts to investigate."
    Astoren: "Weren't you telling me to kill it not two minutes ago? I tried diplomacy. It failed."
    Shana: "I am a Steward, I am a protector. my duty is to protect the people of this world. "
    D'Jann: "And if a herald of a being with the power to reshape the world at will says hello, then part of protecting the world is to be polite to those who can smash it. Or at least finding out if they can. Smash it, that is."
    Astoren: "I tried. Its response was 'Piss off. I am an owl who has wings, which you do not have.'"
    D'Jann: "We could track it to its nest. At least I assume out Steward is a passable tracker."
    Astoren: "More than passable."
    D'Jann: "Wundebar. Then my suggestion is but a trifling diversion. And we could stand to gain much. If nothing else such a beast may have some trinkets in its nest that we can use to aid the village."
    Astoren: "We should alert the village, so they are prepared for battle."
    "But I agree, the creature potentially has much to offer us."
    D'Jann: "If nothing else I can likely harvest from it materials for a thunderbolt shield. A passable tool for our brave defender of man."
    Shana: "Anything that can be made out of it is secondary to the safety of the village."
    D'Jann: "Agreed. But if we go while it is in its roost we should be able to see if it is approaching the village and intercept it."
    Shana: "The village must know. We can head out after."
    Astoren: *nods*
    D'Jann: "Well certainly."
    Shana: :: walks for several minutes before reaching the village itself ::
    D'Jann: "I suppose you'll be checking on your paramour, Lawgiver?"
    Astoren: :blush: "Soles can handle herself, but I'd like to make sure she's all right."
    Shana: ::slight grumble before heading to inform the guards::
    D'Jann: "Well if you're in a hurry, I would have words with Shana. Do not tarry overly long."
    The Genie turns on a heel to follow the Lunar.
    Astoren: ::runs into the manse::
    D'Jann: "Bit of a shame, that. Although I suppose he is rather young. Perhaps he'll learn."
    Shana: "What?"
    D'Jann: "Oh, it's nothing overly important. Just a bit tragic."
    Shana: "What is tragic?"
    D'Jann: "His choice of consort. A mortal? It's hardly a good idea. Bit like falling for a mayfly. And so unsafe."
    Shana: :: looks back at him with a bit of a scowl :: "What is your point?"
    D'Jann: "Mortals are fragile. And short lived. And a Solar with a broken heart is a danger to themselves, and more importantly the world around them. I have seen my share of tragedies that compounded from something as simple a slip in the bath. I understand the need for a companion, but it is a poor choice."
    Shana: ...
    D'Jann: "Perhaps I speak out of turn. But I did pledge to serve you both. And it would be a shame if Astoren's naivete caused either of you harm."
    D'Jann gives a slight bow and turns to head for his cabin.
    Shana: "... You have my ear, spirit... Go on... What are you saying?"
    D'Jann: "Merely that we should find him a proper mate. Even Luna herself saw the importance of providing companions for the Lawgivers."
    Shana: ".... We are bonded... and that is apparently all it means to him..."
    D'Jann: "Well he is a man of virtue, and you do wear the body of a child. Though you have the mind and strength of a warrior. Although..."
    Shana: "... Speak up spirit.... We don't have time for hesitance. If you have nothing important, then let me do what needs to be done."
    D'Jann: "No, it is a passing fancy. Merely thinking out loud. But of course I could change your appearance. Make your beauty match your strength. All it would take is a wish."
    Astoren: ::walks out of the manse, and switches his gaze from Shana to the Genie:: "Well, Soles' on alert. Ready to go, Shana?" ::smiles at her::
    Shana: "In a moment... "
    Astoren: "All right. I'm set whenever you are."
    Shana: :: heads in and informs the guards to be on alert :: :: returns ::
    Last edited by JonRG; 2013-11-09 at 08:54 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Jenn's Session Two Summary

Once the owl flew away, D'Jann went and collected the firewater. Then they rested for the night. The Genie tried to tempt Shana to take his diabolical deal. Astoren was completely oblivious to what the deal was. Shana refused to tell him.

The next day, D'Jann busily made a strap for his firewater container. Shana and Astoren decided to head further up the mountain on the Lunar's feathery wings. The Solar figured out that Shana was attracted to him, which she confirmed. He didn't exactly reciprocate her affection, and then they were attacked by bats. Shana tossed Astoren up in the air then caught him with her claws so he could shoot at them with his bow. One of the bats clawed Astoren's shoulder. Shana went to ground and drew her sword while Astoren peppered the bats with arrows. Eventually, all the bats had died, and Shana bandaged Astoren's shoulder. D'jann appeared.

(Downtime Stuff)

He and Astoren had a conversation fraught with (sexual) tension (oh baby), where everyone finally figured out the Solar/Lunar bond. Shana was frustrated and ran off into the woods to Sacred Hunt a goat. Astoren asked D'Jann for advice, and the Genie led him less than stellarly. He ran off into the woods and declared his love for Shana on a whim. Astoren cares about her a great deal, but this could turn out to be a mistake...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Jones' Session Three Summary

Hiking up a mountain? No way. Flying yes. Kid acts sarcastic about flight. And chooses to have us do it in the most pathetic way. Not to self. Make some sort of small magitech dohickey to mess with her.

Sneaking is hard. And annoying. And... Oh. It's looking at us. With a glowing green eye. That'll end well. Try to think through what that could be on its ankle. Whatever it is it's old. Really old. Don't panic. Work it through. Figure it out. We don't need to ask him. We'll work it out on our own. We don't have to... Damn it.

Memories. We fought it. A priest to the older things. The ones that came before. That made it all. Which means it created everything. It defends everything.

We tell the kid and she makes her play. It's surprising but it works. She's clever. Or committed. Maybe both. And now... We've got a demon owl. Huh. Neat.
    Last edited by BrotherLeonidas; 2013-11-17 at 05:29 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

And so our bold heroes, having reasoned with the ancient strix, returned as companions to the humble Freedom's Promise. The villagers sqwauked at the sight of the monster, Astoren's reasoning calming the crowd. The beast agreed to walk near the heroes domain, silencing its many bells.

Soles, like many, welcomed the return of their noble protectors with open arms and jubilation. And so the Feast of Bells was made, the din of its ringing sweet and uplifting in the light of day.

But not all were so pleased with the events that passed. The young Kass brooded, forsaking the celebration and its idols. The young man journeyed out into the wilderness, only the persuading of Soles kept Shana from following.

A gentle snow fell on the village that night. The light of fires peeked out from precious shelters. And our heroes, like their followers, slept peacefully.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Downtime Agenda (Basic Gist, May Change with RPs)

Spoiler
    Show
    Astoren's sorta in turmoil thanks to his genie "friend." His ethics now lie in shambles, and during this downtime, he endeavors to salvage them. His top priority will be teaching Shana how normal people look upon slave relations, much less child slave relations. Astoren wants her to understand that he cares about her (the L word will drift from his vocabulary), but society and two decades of socialization tell him that it's abhorrent. Shana has to understand that in order to get where he's coming from. He'll also lay down the law with regards to physical contact: hugging is pretty much his limit for now, excluding the occasional chaste smooch. Astoren will also request that she understand if he keeps seeing Soles, because he's a man with needs. Hopefully, after all the discussion about what an awkward situation Astoren's in, Shana will understand. Next, he has to talk to Soles and explain what's going on between him and Shana. Here, Astoren might play up the involuntary nature of the bond and downplay his own feelings for Shana. He'll still want to be in a relationship with her, if Soles is cool with that, but he might be spending even more time with Shana than usual.

Once his ethics system returns to... homeostasis, Astoren focuses on his need for more power and bows, specifically in the form of a powerbow. He and Shana (if she's available/interested) will hunt for some quirky items for D'Jann to transmogrify. The first is close at hand; Astoren asks the Beast of Bells for a easily restored (or non-essential) bell. [If he refuses, I'll come up with a new item.] The second he tracks down with some difficulty, a quiver made from the tanned hide of a demon which imbued any ammunition with [some minor effect]. Astoren struggles for a third item and heads for Sun's Home to visit his flock, as well as do some research. There was no need, however, for the brothers had guarded a relic from [some time ago], a Solar's arrow that pierced the heart of some demon [maybe a Yozi?]. He hands the items off to D'Jann and moves into phase 3.

Astoren dabbles in Medicine and hits the books for some good old fashioned crypto-language studying. First Age stuff, old-timey languages, all that jazz. He wants to know more about the Empyreal, the Beast of Bells, and why the dumb shackle kept making him think of Whitewall. Was it just the association of white marble, or did the creature or its shackle have a latent psychic effect on him?

In the downtime within or between the multiple phases, he'll do combat training with Shana, comfort Soles occasionally, and in general try to keep his new life together. It's hard, but he's a Solar. It comes with the territory.

(While he is worried about Kass Three-Strikes, Astoren feels that Shana would be the best person to handle that and will stay out of it unless his expertise is requested.)
    Last edited by JonRG; 2013-11-18 at 12:13 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

At the celebrations, the Chosen's so called second is nowhere to be seen. Though some may search high and low for him, the Genie is hidden away. For several days there is no sign of D'Jann save for the sounds of heavy labor from his cabin. Though a few villagers come seeking his counsel his door is barred.

There is a night of silence. And on the sixth day, at the noon hour, the grinding begins. Quiet at first, the dull scraping of wood dragged across stone. But it builds as the sun falls across the sky, and by night it is a steady crash and shattering. For two days and nights the cacophony is deafening.

At noon of the seventh day, the smoke pours from the beneath the door. It is thick and black. It reeks of sulfur. Those who pass too near the door are nearly suffocated. And still the genie does not emerge.
    Chaotic Evil Orc Barbarian as my character of choice since 2002.
    Current Josiah, God of Decay Avatar by Akrim.elf
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Black Blur ™ By kpenguin Full Orc Barbarian By Qwernt

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Much of the initial week is spent with the owl and astoren. Shana seems horribly disappointed by Astoren's rules and such regarding social taboos and such but relents. In her time spent with the owl she begins learning how to better control her own essence, become a more potent lunar.

As she helps Astoren in his scavenger hunt she just takes the time to enjoy his presence. She doesn't exactly know what she's doing just that Astoren is hanging out with her.

Finding the Genie and aiding him at the end of the first week made her self conscious. He keeps pointing out things that are wrong with her. She isn't liking him much at the moment because it's making her feel less. She has no idea why it matters so much but the fact he keeps using Astoren's approval as a point isn't helping her take it any better.

... why is he so interested in their relationship anyway?

Shana spends the second week making runs out, caravans have been making passage and she snoops to make sure they aren't trafficking people. If Astoren joins her she welcomes the company as she stalks her prey. Those that are clear are able to make it through unharmed... those that are not are met with a moonlit fury....

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Next time on Rainbow Sno-Cones.

Astoren searched high and low in his grand library at Sun's Home, looking for answers to the mysterious plaque. No book nor tome revealed its secrets, the language still unknown. But the Lawgiver was not to be deterred, mining words to find a being more knowledgable than he. And so he discovered Matsu, Celestial God of Forgotten Languages. With his papers in hand Astoren returned to Freedom's Promise to present his findings.

Toiling away in his forge crafting golden weapons, D'Jann's mind wandered, and often drifted to the brass plaque removed from the Beast of Bells. Cryptic, possibly forbidden knowledge, it stoked the genies twisted soul. For he knew who could reveal Astoren's questions, the End of All Wisdom, Orabilis.

Meanwhile the powerful Shana sweeps through the wastelands to dispose of slavers and would be raiders. The steward does not travel alone, the disgruntled Kass Three Strikes eager to bloody his knuckles on strangers. The two rescue dozens of the meek, the hungry, and all speak of one thing. The wild men, with bare skin and fearsome animal skull helms that stalk the nearby lands.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Season 1 Episode 1 Summary as told by an old timey radio announcer.

PREVIOUSLY ON RAINBOW SNO CONES!

SHANA AND CREW ENJOY A WELL EARNED MEAL AFTER CONFRONTING AND MAKING AN ALLY OF THE OWL OF THE BELLS!

UNREST HOWEVER FALLS UPON THE VILLAGE AS KASS THREE STRIKES NOTICES TRIBES OF BARBARIANS STALKING AROUND THE LITTLE COMMUNE!

YOUNG SHANA GOES TO INVESTIGATE AS D'JANN CONTINUED TO WORK FROM WITHIN HIS FACTORY. ASTOREN CONTINUED HIS STUDIES OF THE LANGUAGES OF THE STRANGE MARKINGS THE OWL HAD BROUGHT!

DISCOVERING A GROUP OF BARBARIANS SHANA MOVED TO INVESTIGATE AND WAS ATTACKED! HANDILY DISPATCHING ONE WITH A WHACK TO THE HEAD THE OTHERS FLED UPON HER EXALTED NATURE SHOWING ITSELF!

NO TIME TO LOSE SHE BROUGHT THE INJURED MAN BACK AND ASTOREN MANAGED TO HEAL HIM! AFTER SECURING HIM IN ONE OF THE ROOMS!

AFTER SECURING THE MAN SHANA SEARCHED FOR OTHERS TRYING TO FIND THEM! MAYBE ASSURE THEM PEACE BUT ALAS!!! IT WAS NOT TO BE! NO SIGN OF THE STRANGE SNOW WALKERS AND TIME WAS FADING IN THE DAY!

RETURNING BACK SHANA DISCUSSED PLANS WITH THE SPIRIT AND HER SOLAR BOND BEFORE HEADING TO BED! NIGHT FELL AND THEY KNEW LITTLE OF WHAT WOULD HAPPEN NEXT.....

TUNE IN NEXT TIME FOR ANOTHER EXCITING ADVENTURE OF RAINBOW SNO CONES!