Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default OOC for Skeins of Pentrachia

Greetings! This is the OOC thread for my new magitech campaign, Skeins of Pentrachia. I hope it will be a good experience for all of us. Special thanks to RFLS for requesting this and allowing me to DM.

To Link:
    - IC Thread and Recruitment Thread

-Character Table

The Big 16
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. What game system are you running and if applicable what edition? D&D 3.5.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be? What is the setting for the game? In a variation of my personal setting, we will be exploring the vaunted realms of the Tippyverse and various magitech.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? Hmm, really the crux of the issue. Any party will be limited to four players, but I'm seriously considering a more sandboxy approach that could accommodate two parties worth of people. Or that might just be the crazy demon on my shoulder talking. He says stuff like that sometimes.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? It will be pbp. We can explore skype text chat, if that is something any of you are up for, mostly for character building stuff, background role play, and maybe a flashback scene. It would likely be one-on-one, but it's something I like to offer as it's like warp drive to the paddle boat of pbp.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    I'm leaning toward 7-10. Arguments for which is a better break point are accepted, and toward a different range of levels based on player demand. I'm very open on this point.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? I will make allowance for how Tippyverse will have rendered WBL a relic of the past. I will want to tailor resources available to fit the flavor of the setting, and the background of each character. Each of you may default to WBL, but I will offer some incentives if you want to nerf yourself down a bit (as a CHALLENGE), and likewise if you involve this in character concept.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? All classes. I will prefer clean character concepts over dip-o-matic, but I understand that some low-tier material can be made much more viable by a mix-master approach. That said, I really will pretty much allow anything, but will be putting emphasis on good development and background (so props to any that avoid cookie-cutterness in build/design).

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? All races from published sources are permissible. Please no whacky template stacking; any templates taken must be taken into account in backstory and role play. As requested, we are aiming for a mix of role play and mechanical "hulk smash," so keep that in mind with your concepts. We can discuss limited buyback, I suppose, by demand.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? 4d6b3, roll seven times, automatic reroll allowed, and, after consulting with me, point-buy as a last resort. Looks like 32 or 36...I confess a pitiful understanding of point-buy, but I tend to boost stats for EVERYTHING anyway, and it's high-op.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Alignment is used, but I prefer a "shades of grey" approach, with the aim of exploring the finer points of morality. While straight up evil is discouraged, some of you crazy diamonds can probably sell me on something along those lines if you really try. The priority will be toward a sustainable (not necessarily harmonious) role play dynamic b/t player characters.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? I kind of touched on that already.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? Die rolls will be posted in the IC thread, within spoilers. As DM, I reserve the right to
    - Not post rolls I deem secret.
    - Roll for characters when it will speed things up (mostly passive stuff, Knowledge checks).
    - Not be terribly consistent about posting rolls for monsters (which I prefer to do in the name of transparency...but it can be onerous based on a given encounter).

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    Looks like I will be allowing two flaws and one trait. Please restrict yourself to SRD and Dragon Magz flaws/traits. If one of you have a real gem piece of homebrew, that's okay, but there is much madness in this area of homebrew. Note: I will be attempting to enforce role play of flaws, traits that should affect things like role play. Hmm. Maybe "enforce" is the wrong word. Let's go with "incentivize concept-appropriate role play."

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? Now, here's my goal. I can tell we have some high-rollers (pardon the genre pun) among y'all when it comes to optimization, and it's par for the course. The challenge that I am asking of you is to put equal or greater effort into the background, personality, and overall concept as you do into the build and mechanics.

I won't force this, but I think you all probably appreciate how much better a story can be with memorable characters, and not just memorable events and mechanical pwnage. Role play experience will be a thing, and I will reward good development with incentives and nice plot kitties...or something.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? Role play is where I make my hay, but I can involve the level of combat you all wish for. We can discuss this aspect of balance and flavor more.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? I believe that I addressed this.

Non-Exhaustive House Rules:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, these are rough, and many are quite old...if you notice conflicts, issues, or any other stuff about them, feel free to bring it up.

- Races that gain bonuses to skills (like the elven bonus to Spot, Listen, and Search) gain those skills as class skills for all classes. A halfling wizard has as much talent for Jumping as the halfling thief if he devotes the skill points, after all, this is what racial proclivity means.

- Spending a feat on any of the +2/+2 to skills feats (Deceitful, Stealthy, Magical Aptitude, etc) makes those two skills class skills for all classes. The same is true for Skill Focus.

- Toughness is eliminated. All instances of Toughness are replaced by Improved Toughness.

- Point-Blank Shot and Precise Shot are rolled into a single feat.

- Dodge and Mobility are rolled into a single feat.

- Craft Construct doesn't exist. To craft a construct, a caster need have only Craft Wondrous Item and Craft Magic Arms & Armour. I don't like needless feat bloat.

- Monks are different. We can discuss how-so if you wish to play one. Suffice it to say, I love monks and have made changes. Monkish homebrew is also something that is acceptable, and I favor Xaotiq1's monk fix, which can be googled. It won't be used verbatim, though, so please talk to me about monks if this is on your mind.

- Fighters are different. 4+Int skill points, more skills, access to special class features, certain feats added to list of fighter bonus feat choices. Ask me if this is something you are considering so I can nail stuff down or go shopping for homebrew.

- Soulknives are better. Full BAB, bonus feats every four levels (psionic feats or fighter bonus feats, plus maybe a couple others), faster progression of mindblade enhancements and enhancement bonus. Everything else is pretty much the same.

- Character Generation Primer:

Spoiler
    Show
    Sources: All 3.5 from all official sources (including web content, Dragon Compendium). Dragon Magazine material by request. Both Dragon Compendium and Dragon Magazine are home to most of what I find objectionable, so expect that bias in my answers, but only the highest grades of game exploits are in question here, so I will likely say yes. /obligatorydisclaimer.

Stats: 4d6b3, roll it seven times, drop the low roll. Everyone is entitled to a reroll. Point-buy is available on demand (not familiar with what number I should be using...suggestions welcome), but I usually just eyeball rolls and tweak them up to fit my comfort range.

Races: Any published +0 or +1 LA races are acceptable, but I'd like to know what you are thinking asap. We can discuss buyback. Anything higher ECL just needs me to greenlight it; I'm not going to have some bizarre racial standard, I just really want foreknowledge of as much as possible, ASAP, so I can work on a good mindscrew storyline.

Classes: All 3.5 from the indicated sources. Limited homebrew may be allowed. I may tinker with things (see my forthcoming Houserules), but consider that I will be implementing a setting-specific tweak for many low-tier classes, involved with the plotline. That's in the event that someone isn't playing a caster of some kind.

Starting Level: 10th.

Wealth: Standard WBL.

- Link to Tippyverse
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-10-10 at 06:29 PM.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOC for Skeins of Pentrachia

(Reserved)

To Add:
    Pantheon Notes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Note that, due to the setting, gods are of little relevance in Pentrachia. The following are mainly presented for flavor, unless someone is grabbing cleric or other divine caster levels. The list is complete (but not exhaustive), but many of the details are clearly missing. If a god/dess sounds interesting, I can provide additional details upon demand. Just trying to get stuff out there.

Overgod-
    Galafrae (rarely worshipped, most don't even know of his existence)
    Notes: Galafrae is literally the physical embodiment of the planet of Galafrae. His avatar resembles a short, elderly man, stooped with age and with long, light grey hair formed into dread locks that descend to his waist. Unlike other deities, he is not limited by divine ranks or domain powers. A good place to start when imagining his range of powers would be to imagine someone capable of activating all divine salient abilities simultaneously as a free action anywhere on Galafrae or within 1000 miles of any creature originating on Galafrae, now or up to 100 years into the past or the future. His greater powers defy definition. His control over reality is just about complete, and really defies game mechanics.
    Luckily, he rarely does much himself, content to nurture the inhabitants of Galafrae, scout for new variety and diversity (which he greatly enjoys), and otherwise exist in contentment. He does have a few direct minions that work for him, but they are few in number and not organized into any hierarchy of any kind.

*Personification of Nature (holds a place higher than that of a greater god, but below that of Galafrae)
    Note: This is not an actual god, but a concept. Some nature worshipers follow a Mother Goddess that is essentially the planet itself, others give it different names. All in all, though, it's really the force of nature as an abstract concept. It's ranked here to show that it's relative power exceeds that of a greater god.

Greater Gods-
    Sirtaia, Sun Goddess, Healing, Light,
    Symbol: Disk of the Sun during Sirstar Eclipse (yellow disk surrounded by reddish corona) with a six-pointed star superimposed on it
    Home Plane: Sirstar Layer of the Plane of the Sun, Elysium
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Portfolio: Sun (during Sirstar dominance), Light, Healing, Life, lesser influence over weather, fertility of the land, protection of civilization against darkness
    Worshipers: Commoners, Farmers, Novas (outsiders native to the Plane of the Sun)
    Domains: Sun, Healing, Good [fire, destruction]
    Favored Weapon: "The Sunsphere" (morning star)
    Notes: [lesser known dual-aspect as destroyer], [she shares the sun god role with another god that i'm still working on, as Sirtaia is the goddess during the periods of Sirstar dominance, as opposed to periods of Ristar dominance...has to do with there being two different layers on the Plane of the Sun.]

Emara, Goddess of All Magic
    Symbol: Three balls of silvery-blue spellfire arranged in an equilateral triangle, with one vertex pointing straight up
    Home Plane: The Outlands, Everywhere
    Alignment: Neutral
    Portfolio: Magic, Spells, Spellcasters, lesser influence over Knowledge,
    Worshipers: Spellcasters (both arcane and divine), Sages, Scholars, Dragons, a number of other highly magical creatures
    Domains: Magic, Knowledge, Protection (Spell, Oracle)
    Favored Weapon: "Artslave" (dagger)
    Notes: Emara is like Mystra on steroids. She shares many principles with the FR deity of magic, but she zealously guards the stability of magical energy on Galafrae and her own position of primacy at the center of that web. She has no compunction about obliterating wizards, clerics, or any others that are excessively proud or arrogant and forgetful of their dependence on magic for their power. She isn't particularly thorough in this regard, and can only really be depended on to wipe out anyone that challenges her control over magic; she still occasionally makes a particularly public display of divine-grade spellfire on a massive scale, as much as a warning as a punishment. She also often makes use of Artslave, her god-artifact dagger. This dagger pumps pure, unfiltered magic into the body of any being hit, burning their minds and wills to ash, while leaving their body in tact with all it's abilities, forever an unquestioning servant of the goddess of magic.
    All other deities pay tribute to Emara as well (except for Galafrae), as she can easily interfere with or impede their ability to grant spells to followers, and generally speaking, all beings on the planet are at her mercy.

San, God of Knowledge, Wisdom, Monks, lesser influence over travel, agriculture
    Symbol: A stylized lit torch with the flame of knowledge
    Home Plane: The Outlands
    Portfolio: Knowledge, Learning, Scholarship, Spiritual Enlightenment through Discovery of Self and the Universe, Heraldry
    Worshipers: Scholars, sages, archivists, wizards, monks, heralds, messangers, teachers, students
    Domains: Knowledge, Magic, Travel (Oracle, Mind, Herald)
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes: San is the god of wisdom, knowledge and fleet-footed messengers. He is the patron of sages, monks, teachers, students, librarians and those who deliver messages. San likes to see in his followers a strong devotion to study, a readiness to learn new things and the practical application of wisdom and knowledge to daily life.

Ternian, God of Agriculture, Farmers, Fertility of the Land, and Rain, lesser influence over other weather
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: Arcadia
    Alignment: NG
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers: Farmers, herders, commoners
    Domains: Animal, Plant, Sun, Water (Patience)
    Favored Weapon: (heavy flail)
    Notes: Ternian is the god of agriculture, the harvest, the bounty of the land, and of rain. However, only civilized, communal people with a more agriculturally based society venerate Ternian as the god of rain. More primitive peoples, especially nomads and barbarian tribes, pay homage to the storm god Tarse in their thanks for all rain. Nonetheless, Ternian is still a very important god in many areas. His blessing of the crops is highly valued, and the reaping of his blessings provides the lifeblood of many a small community by feeding them through the long months of winter. Most farming communities will have a shrine of some sort that is dedicated to Ternian and, in addition, most farmers will erect a small outdoor shrine to him during the harvest season. These shrines are usually placed in one of the farmer's fields and they usually consist of a pile of flat stones or a small table of some sort that can be used as an altar for offerings to be made on and official prayers to be made at.

Wraeth, God of Death, Undeath, Fear
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: Hades
    Alignment: NE
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers: Necromancers, dread necromancers, liches, undead, those that fear death
    Domains: Death, Evil, (Undeath)
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes:

Reth, Paladin God of Justice, Righteousness, Law
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: Celestia
    Alignment: LG
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers: Paladins, knights (Knights of the Morning Standard), good-aligned judges, crusaders, holy warriors of lawful alignments
    Domains: Law, Good, Protection, War (Inquisition)
    Favored Weapon: Longsword
    Notes:

Rath, God of Bloodshed, Violence
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: Pandemonium
    Alignment: CE
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers: Psychopaths, the Ravagers, murderers, CE mercenaries
    Domains: Chaos, Destruction, Evil (Wrath, Madness, Fury)
    Favored Weapon: Spiked Gauntlet/Unarmed Strike
    Notes:

Joyce, Goddess of Love, Fertility, and Passion, the Hearth, lesser influence over beauty
    Symbol:
    Home Plane:
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers: Midwives, pregnant women, wives, mothers, fathers
    Domains: Good, Protection (Creation, Hope)
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes: In some areas, she's known as "Helen," but they seem to be the same goddess.

Joseph, God of Love, Families, Community, lesser influence over truth
    Symbol:
    Home Plane:
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers:
    Domains: Good (Community, Hope, Patience, Renewal)
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes:

Marnon, God of War
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: Acheron, Ysgard
    Alignment: CN
    Portfolio: Warfare, violence, fighting, combat, war tactics and technology
    Worshipers: Fighters, warblades, professional soldiers, mercenaries, anyone in combat, marshals
    Domains: War, Destruction, Strength (Wrath, Planning)
    Favored Weapon: (bastard sword)
    Notes: God of all war, not matter the cause, no matter if there is a cause. He supports fighting and violence of all kinds for any reason. War for the sake of war.

Lord Aemon, God of the Sky, Birds, Travel, Nobility, lesser influence over weather
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: The Beastlands
    Portfolio: The sky, wind, travel, self-perfection, animals
    Worshipers: Travelers, magical beasts, rangers,
    Domains: Air, Animal, Travel (Courage)
    Favored Weapon: (halberd/spear)
    Notes:

Temnos, God of the Seas and Oceans
    Symbol:
    Home Plane:
    Alignment:
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers:
    Domains: Water, (Ocean
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes:

Panlunias, Moon Deities Collective Aspect
    Symbol: A black dodecahedron with one symbol from each of the Moons on each face.
    Home Plane: Demiplanes of the Moon
    Portfolio: The moon, the night, darkness and light, shadow, illusion,
    Worshipers: The Moon Cults, mystics, shifters, lycanthropes
    Domains: The combined domains of the twelve Moons
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes: This is a collective aspect that combines the features and powers of the twelve Moons. It's an immensely powerful being that is formed, but luckily the individual Moons themselves are usually too much at odds to cooperated to form this collective being.

Intermediate Gods-
    Tommakin, Craft God, God of Artistry
    Symbol:
    Home Plane:
    Alignment:
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers:
    Domains: Knowledge, Protection (Craft, Creation, Trade)
    Favored Weapon: (warhammer)
    Notes:

Blaze, God of Vengeance, Cleansing Fire, lesser influence over the sun
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: Plane of the Sun
    Alignment: CG
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers:
    Domains: Destruction, Good, Fire (Retribution, Wrath)
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes:

The Dark Lady, Goddess of Murder, Assassins, Evil Thief God, The Dark Queen
    Symbol:
    Home Plane:
    Alignment:
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers:
    Domains: Evil, Death, Trickery (Corruption, Seduction, Pain)
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes:

The Unseen, Neutral Thief God, The Watcher
    Symbol:
    Home Plane:
    Alignment:
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers:
    Domains: Trickery, Air, Knowledge (Dream, Illusion, Planning, Oracle)
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes:

The Laughing Lady, Goddess of Trickery, Bards, Humour, Good Thief God
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: Arborea
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers:
    Domains: Chaos, Luck, Trickery (Joy)
    Favored Weapon: (rapier)
    Notes:

Brinsa, Goddess of the Waves, Breezes, Favorable Winds, Patroness of Sailors
    Symbol:
    Home Plane:
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers: Sailors, seafarers, explorers, pirates, shipbuilders, seafolk, merfolk
    Domains: Air, Water, Luck (Ocean, Seafolk)
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes:

Tarse, Storm God, Thunder God
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: Ysgard
    Alignment: CN
    Portfolio: Storms, thunder and lightning, wind, weather, unbridled emotion
    Worshipers: Barbarians, nomadic humanoids, storm giants,
    Domains: Air, Water, Chaos (Storm, Windstorm,)
    Favored Weapon: (greatspear/spear/javelin)
    Notes:

Freya, Goddess of Beauty, lesser influence over fire, crafting
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: Ysgard
    Portfolio: Beauty, passion, emotions, fire, crafting, protection of beauty and beautiful things,
    Worshipers:
    Domains: Good, Fire, Luck (Craft, Pleasure)
    Favored Weapon: (dagger)
    Notes:

Krystalline, Goddess of Ice, Crystals, Gems, Oracle Goddess
    Symbol:
    Home Plane:
    Alignment:
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers:
    Domains: Earth, Good, Luck (Oracle)
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes:

Lesser Gods-
    Auril, the Frostmaiden, Goddess of Evercold (crossover from Faerun)
    Symbol: A white snowflake on a grey diamond (a heraldic lozenge) with a white border.
    Home Plane: Paraelemental Plane of Ice
    Alignment: NE
    Portfolio: Cold, winter
    Worshipers: Frostfell creatures, frost giants, winter wolves, white dragons
    Domains: Air, Evil, Water (Cold, Storm, Winter)
    Favored Weapon: (ice axe)
    Notes:

Daenestrii, the Patient One, the Suffering Earth
    Symbol: A rough-hewn stone obelisk with thorny vines wrapped about it, dripping blood
    Home Plane: The Outlands
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers:
    Domains: Earth, Healing (Endurance, Patience)
    Favored Weapon: (maul/warhammer)
    Notes:

Sally Berndain, Goddess of Balance, the Life-Death-Rebirth Cycle
    Symbol:
    Home Plane:
    Alignment:
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers:
    Domains: Life, Death, Destruction (Balance, Creation)
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes:

Maelrik, God of Dust, Thirst, Despair
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: The Nine Hells
    Alignment: LE
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers: Nihilists, doomsday cults, Entropomancers
    Domains: Air, Evil, Destruction (Thirst)
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes:

Sha-Enne, Swift Goddess of the Dark Earth, the Hunt, and Primal Fear
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: The Abyss
    Alignment: CE
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers: Evil hunters, intelligent predators, evil lycanthropes, evil earth creatures
    Domains: Animal, Earth, Evil (Hunt, Celerity, Bestial)
    Favored Weapon: (claws/unarmed strike)
    Notes:

Demipowers-

Patrick Richards, Demigod of Time, Technology (limitation thereof)

1.) There are two of the metropolises locally in play in Pentrachia, the designation of this version of the Prime Material Plane: Saimrhaeus (pronounced shaam-ray-uus, in my pigeon phonetic notation), and Enclarion.

The Cities:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saimrhaeus: Founded on the back of an ancient site of power now long-since forgotten (and shrouded in high-level magics), this city has survived several blistering assaults in the past, which led to an embattled mentality. But, recently (within the last 50 years), a set of psions and other mind-talented individuals have risen to power, and have retooled the city's defenses significantly. Additionally, the psions were responsible for the elimination of a rival city about twenty years ago, the city of Rekjeraa, which now lies in ruins.

Enclarion: Tied to the distant past of the realm, this city is the home of a large number of mystical traditions. It was here that the arch-solar Anzariah first proclaimed the domain of this Prime to be "amoralis priorium," or to be beyond the reach of the various gods. This was to recognize the role that various heroes from Pentrachia had played in staving off a massive planar influx of Far Realm energy, instigated by Asmodeus in an attempt to destabilize reality as a prelude to a massed invasion of the Abyss. Enclarion is now home to many of the extant religious traditions in ages since, and clerics and cathedrals dot the landscape. That said, many of the faithful are less zealous than in other settings, and churches that are normally in open conflict are here openly worshiped in proximity to each other.

Origin Options:
    Spoiler
    Show
    My current idea is that most/all of the characters are located beyond their city of origin, or a looking to escape soon, for reasons that you all are free to come up with. With this in mind, I suggest each of you pick a vague concept of starting location, and I will give four options (not to exclude your own ideas; pitch me alternatives that fit your stories better):
    a.) In-City: The character begins in his/her city of origin, but is looking to leave. You may discuss with me up to three contacts that the character may have in the city, appropriate to level and background, that may be able to render assistance and/or otherwise be of use now, or have been of use in the past.

b.) In-village: The character begins in a village/small town in the wilderness. I will have a list of such places forthcoming, but each will have it's own resources. The character is far-and-away the most powerful person in town (that the character is initially aware of, at least), which may or may not be of use. The character has purchased land from the villagers, and may have established a modest house and a small farm or other means of production to provide a sustainable, non-adventuring income (all in addition to WBL). Of course, WBL can be used to augment this and otherwise change things, but that will be handled case-by-case.

c.) On-the-Road: The character is living on the road, maybe not so much by choice as by necessity. While the threat may not be lethal, something has made the character's life in the past insolvent, and the character had to make a change. The character gains the benefits of casual contacts in three villages/town (list forthcoming), all of whom will give the character room, board, and free/instant Gather Info checks related to that place and its surroundings (as though taking 20). These places are safe to hide out in or stay a while; this does not mean that everyone likes the character, or even that his or her presence is generally known. Just that a few "friends" are present in each place.

d.) Living on the Land: As befits a powerful individual, the character has carved out a niche living in the wild. While security is rarely guaranteed, appropriate measures have been taken over some reasonable period of time to establish a foothold somewhere in the wilderness. Conditions and abilities of this hideout/stronghold are subject to DM scrutiny and come out of WBL, but are assumed to be enough to provide relative safety from mundane threats, food, and shelter. For legal purposes, the character has established a claim on the land and it's resouces, in an area not greater than 10 acres. But, if the character can't actually hold and defend that much space, then it is limited to just the structures established. Expect danger, because the wilderness is wilderness precisely because it's NOT SAFE.

3.) A Complex Path:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the course of becoming 10th level, each of your character would have faced down a number of enemies and threats, and defeated/overcome them in some fashion. Please outline three forces, organizations, monsters, or the like which you want to have triumphed against. I will suggest setting-appropriate changes (e.g. "there are no bugbears near x, but there is a militant faction of hobgoblins that pose a comparable threat"), but I hope to allow your thoughts to add depth and a sense of plot to that portion of the story not covered by this campaign.

The Towns:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Megaraesa:
    Established by an enterprising guild from Enclarion, this town is a funded experiment in social engineering. It is populated by specially selected individuals from the underclasses of the various areas of the city, from many races and background, but largely untrained and poorly educated. The concept was to create a haven for sophisticated minds that could be raised on a controlled diet of propaganda and other brainwashing.

Sadly, the guild overshot it's mark a bit. Having gathered some truly exceptional minds, it wasn't long before the more perceptive of the residents caught on to the master plan. Pretending to behave and go along with the plan, several of them garnered the favor of the agents of the guild supervising the town, and turned the tables. Now, the town is actually run by a shadow-government comprised of the most intelligent members of the community: Gideom, a human teen male and prodigy, Evanra, a very persuasive jaebrin female, and Kelom, a deltonian male raised in the old school of his race. (<--Homebrew warning) They maintain appearances to continue to gain the support of the guild from Enclarion (mainly in the form of mercenaries hired to guard them and educational resources), but are aware that their situation is precarious. Guilds from the cities often are very amoral in their approach to their "investments," and failed experiments are liquidated every day.

Megaraesa is also the closest town to the ruins of Rekjeraa, a city defeated by Saimrhaeus some twenty years ago. The Mindthieves keep their clairvoyant gaze on anyone that shows an interest in the ruins, and little escapes their notice.

Ilraeneth:
    Full of feykissed and feytouched, this large village has a long history of fey involvement, though the residents aren't widely aware of this. Instead, they are local traditions involving moonlight dances, otherworldly beings of beauty, and charmed babes sired by "the man of the woods." The line between reality and myth is seriously blurred, and the townspeople don't look kindly on anyone that would mess with their ways or beliefs.

Needless to say, few outsiders are aware of what's going on. But Ilraeneth is fairly well-known for beautiful and talented performers and musicians of various sorts, and some of it's more daring residents even brave the trip to the other towns, living from one performance to another, well-received, but never truly welcomed.

Alkhan:
    A small town by the best of measures, Alkhan exists as a bright spot in the darkness of the world beyond the reach of the magitech of the cities. Founded by an idealistic ex-paladin of Enclarion who had lost faith in her god, Alkhan is a refuge for those seeking an escape from "city life." It's location is covered by a decoy trading post/inn, which conceals the actual town, built into a natural limestone cavern.

The town itself is an anarchist syndicate founded on principles of personal liberty, all on the premise of secrecy from the cities being the highest priority for all. However, now almost three decades old, news of Alkhan has spread to the surrounding towns, where the adventurous youth speak of an oasis of knowledge and hope among the widespread suffering of the wilderness. With the town now being a matter of rumour, it is only a matter of time before the Archons of Enclarion, the Mindthieves, or some similar organization hears about it and puts it on the list of "situations" that need to be dealt with.

Tomwoelo:

Little more than a thorp, this village exists in the grey space between lonely homesteads that are one disaster away from extinction, and established settlements that have a modicum of security. Largely populated by humans and lesser genasi in equal measure, it has developed a militia and set about establishing fortifications. These are much needed, because both poison dusk lizardfolk and recently arrived dromite settlers are in competition for the pure water spring and river source that are the main resources and lifeline of the village. Raids and conflicts are increasingly common.

Afhardis Reach: Located on the edge of a large northern desert, this town is known for producing a hardy stock of people. A mix of humans, goblins, and dwarves, they forage the wilds, pursuing a hunter-gatherer existence. The dwarves produce a fine array of leathers and hides, fashioned into a remarkable variety of useful devices. This is good, because generations of burning firewood and making charcoal have deforested the land for many miles around, leading to encroaching desertification. Each sandstorm that blows in from the north spreads the sands into the territory of the town. If this pattern continues unabated, the residents will likely need to relocate. As it is, they must travel ever further south in pursuit of game and timber.

The goblins come from a tribal stock that originally roamed the desert many ages ago. Now they are well-integrated, and are respected by both the humans and the dwarves for being hard-working and determined. As befitting their tribal heritage, they have a more spiritual outlook on the world than the average goblin, and widely follow a brand of spirit worship. Lately, their shamans speak of a mist gathering in their vision-scapes, obscuring their sight, along with a susurrus of unidentifiable whispers.

Rough Geography:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A rough idea of the Geography is as follows:

Enclarion is in the east-southeast, mainly located atop a large plateau. Saimrhaeus is in the west. The two cities are separated by a fairly vast distance, being roughly on opposite ends of the continent.

Tomwoelo is located far to the south, remote from both cities, but at the headwaters of a long river that winds northward, before turning east and entering an inland sea located northwest of Enclarion.

Megaraesa is located east of Saimrhaeus, a distance of about 100 miles.

Ilraeneth is located fairly close to Enclarion, roughly northwest of the city in the direction of the inland sea.

Alkhan is located due north of Enclarion, in hilly region of the continent.

Afhardis Reach is about midway between the cities, but far to the north, on the edge of a large arid region that spans the entire width of the top of the continent.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-10-11 at 07:38 PM.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

(Reserved)

To Add:
    List of Organizations

List of Discovered bits (spoilered along with who knows them)

List of Magitech devices (and prices and weight...I'm ambitious like that)
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-10-07 at 11:57 PM.

Extended Sigbox

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

(Likewise Reserved)

Extended Sigbox

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Meet Torcival!

A rough draft/outline of his backstory is below.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Torcival Grew up in the City Enclarion, as a street urchin. In order to get off the streets, he agreed to join the Army of Enclarion, where he was trained as an elementalist. 4 years ago, he completed his term of service, one of the very few elementalists to survive long enough to do so.

He left the City, and used what wages he saved up to build himself a bunker in a monster infested area of the continent. He has spent the last several years just wandering out, seeing interesting monsters and killing them. However, he does occasionally head to Alkhan so he can sell parts of the monsters he killed, in order to maintain his clothing and armor. He is fairly well liked by those who know him in Alkhan, as his "fun" helps keep the local monster population down.

The keep, As requested.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Keep:
    Plains: -5%
    20 miles from a small city -2%
    several appropriate monster lairs nearby. For flavor and backstory, not price reduction. (I'm not averse to it, but its not why I chose it.
    3 Basic common areas: 1500
    2 basic bedrooms: : 1400
    All rooms 60 feet below ground. Free (first subterranean layer)
    Walls below ground Hewn Stone, inner and outer free
    Trapdoor on surface, swings in. Iron door, secret (DC 35 Search), DC 30 open lock. 880
    Total cost: 3519.18 gp for an underground house, which monsters can't find, but I can leave and go blasting. Not much defense against humanoids, as the workers weren't paid to keep it secret, but nothing of value in there, which the workers also know. Its an underground hunting lodge!
    Last edited by alanek2002; 2013-10-09 at 07:08 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Tomas Gleets, who is currently having his backstory finished so that it'll tie in with the 20,000 gp stronghold he is currently building...

Related note, are there any mountains, volcanoes, freezing cold areas, or basically anywhere highly uninhabitable by anyone who does not have a permanent Endure Elements on them? Because that's where I want to have a stronghold :P

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Reserved for character.

I'm on my phone right now so ill be brief:
    Psionic of the new wave. Left because of the over reliance in his eyes of Arcane magic.
    Rather Psion-Supremacist and Anti-Arcane.
    Set up in a small village with the goal to make another City eventually. Currently researching Psionics means of immortality so he can see his dreams fulfilled (some form of homebrewed PsiLich?)

How easy is it to gain Immunity: Mindaffecting items?
    If very easy any chance of an Artifact or quest reward to allow bypassing of it? I'm planning on getting PsiCharm et all
    Due to mental stuff in my head I find it hard to understand normal human behaviour.
    If I do something wrong PM me what is wrong. And do not be subtle, I need a kick in the pants sometimes to realize Im a jerk.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Reserved for character.

He will, very soon, begin speaking in Sea Green.
    Last edited by Jötunn; 2013-10-10 at 03:54 PM.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    None at the moment...
    Amazing White Mage Avatar by Shades of Gray

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Here's Rita. Artificer and front-liner. Very, very defensive abilities and offensive personality. She'll be speaking in blue.
    Last edited by RFLS; 2013-10-10 at 03:38 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Sheet:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wayne Albsky
    male CG Human Spellthief 5/Daggerspell Mage 5, Level 10, Init +6, HP / , Speed 30
    AC 22, Touch 16, Flat-footed 16, Fort +4, Ref +11, Will +8, Base Attack Bonus 7/2
    Dagger +14/+9 (1d4+1, 19-20)
    2 Daggers +12/+12/+7 (1d4+1, 19-20)
    Thrown Dagger +14/+9 (1d4+1, 19-20)
    +1 'celestial' Chainmail (+6 Armor, +6 Dex)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 22, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 11, Cha 15
    Condition None

Background:
    Spoiler
    Show
    When the wizards took over, a lot of things changed- disease was mostly destroyed, hunger was eliminated, and the entire structure of nations changed, with millions coming together in enormous cities. But some things, of course, stayed the same. The poor were the cannon fodder in the first wars, before the construct armies were created, but after that their usefulness ended. Now, slums stretch for miles and miles, filled with those who cannot afford the education needed to become wizards, clerics, or artificers. Sorcerers emerge, of course, but they are forced into the military to prevent them from learning forbidden spells. So with no options for social mobility, the lower classes have simply... simmered.
    There are those who object, of course. Rogues and fighters who have learned to bypass magical defenses and to attack even cautious spellcasters. But in order to kill just one wizard, dozens of resistance members must die.
    There is something new, however. One of the sorcerers taken from us managed to send an arcane tome back into the slums. We can't figure most of it out, and it seems to be unreliable- it has some cryptic musings on how a monk could kill a wizard, of all things. But the one chapter contains instructions on how to turn a casters magic against him.
    I know you feel your brother died in vain, that the struggle against the overlords is pointless. But I would like you to give it one more try. After all, you have nothing to lose.
    This conversation was recorded by one of our constructs four years ago, but we are still unable to find either of those involved. Voice analysis connects the speaker to one of two murderers of Professor Killian, but both are still at large.
    -Text of a letter from Headmaster Arnoch of the School of Abjuration to the Regional High Priest of Boccob

Homebrew: Spellthief can steal psionincs automatically, this VoP fix.
    Wayne will speak in purple.
    Last edited by Waxillium Lande; 2013-10-10 at 04:11 PM.
    Sleep is for people who don't have purple caffeine monkey wheeeee!

One for sorrow, two for joy
    Three for a girl, four for a boy
    Five for silver, six for gold
    Seven for a secret, never to be told

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Dibbs on Orange.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Calling Dark red.
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Calling Explosion- Er, Plain Red

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

You all have very awesomely cooperated with my "organized OOC thread"-scheme. Thanks ever so much. I generate...well, I think you can see. Even if I slow down a lot, months and months leaves me with a huge amount of stuff that I basically have to remember or index somewhere. So I will be keeping fairly good (always hopeful!) records of things like npcs and such, to avoid endless forum page-flipping later on.

I have also noticed while making the table of characters that we aren't as close to ready to start as I thought. Please, take your time. I have mountains of probably futile planning to still do; taverns to name, npcs that don't have headstones yet. Normal DM stuff. But the characters are really the part of the game that best benefits from good effort before the start, so no rush.

@AngryCyc: I will post some stuff for your plot-bit tonight, but no pressure to post. I'm leaving it pretty wide open how things start. Think of what Thomas would be doing with a bit of spare time, his current goals, and the like, and post at your leisure. And enjoy that camping (if that's what it was...memory full of world-eating monsters atm).
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-10-10 at 06:30 PM.

Extended Sigbox

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks! Yeah that'll be tomorrow night for camping. I'm actually getting ready to see Book of Mormon right now though. But I can post from it. Sort of.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I will repeat the earlier invite to everyone for one-on-one skype text chat roleplay. It's certainly not mandatory, but I've been dabbling in it lately, and it's a great way to get some really good characterization going, and to do detailed role play with key npcs and such. Not so good for combat and the like, but it is a nice pace for dialogue heavy scenes, and for generally establishing an atmosphere. With the text chat, it can be lifted right out of skype and placed into a post. Very convenient.

Again, highly optional. Timing, as ever, can be sticky, but my schedule is fairly flexible. If anyone is interested, PM me and we can discuss the details.

Everything is going well so far. To those not quite ready; no pressure. The storyline right now is in a high degree of flux, and should readily accommodate a rolling timeline of new characters entering the campaign.

I look forward to future developments.

Extended Sigbox

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

So apparently I can hear. Everything.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCyc View Post
    So apparently I can hear. Everything.
    You have consistently rolled stupidly well on those Listen checks. This is why I kind of like having Spot and Listen broken down. Now, it's kind of a notable feature of the character, maybe even something to build into your mechanics.

Luckily, that thing could care less about stealth. I had forgotten how stupidly many skill points certain creature types get.

That all was pretty interesting. It wasn't in my established list of things that could happen that you would go to the mountain. Fearless halflings. Hehe. I kind of thought the geriviar was a big "NOPE, DON'T DO DAT" sign on the mountain. Thanks for mixing it up a bit, though; that was more interesting than anything I had planned *cough* I mean, all within the scope of my omniscience! *evil laugh*

Extended Sigbox

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Is there a visible way to disrupt the stones that Tomas could actually achieve? Like, are there any small enough for him to move? Or are they all just gigantic rocks?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

The guy is erecting a stonehenge on like...75% scale. I think. Anyway, it's stupidly big.

So, I very much doubt it. That said, it's far from impossible to fool around with things. Part of the problem, though, is that Tomas likely has no idea what the stones actually do, so it's hard to know exactly how to mess them up.

The big guy doesn't wake up, though, so Tomas has time (though he doesn't know it at first).

Extended Sigbox

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Some relevant knowledge checks then or something? I mean I'm assuming since I saw the other guy walk into one stone circle and then vanish, maybe this one does something similar...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm. Knowledge(arcana) would be the most applicable for knowing how they work, but Knowledge(nature) will let you know some stuff. Go ahead and roll it if you have it.

The mysterious figure was more just moving toward the stone circle when he disappeared. He was still about a quarter-mile away from it when he vanished.

Extended Sigbox

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I promise I'm going to post! Really!
    I just... asprin.
    Sleep is for people who don't have purple caffeine monkey wheeeee!

One for sorrow, two for joy
    Three for a girl, four for a boy
    Five for silver, six for gold
    Seven for a secret, never to be told

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, hah. I thought he stepped in the circle and disappeared. Alrighty well arcana is a no go but nature (1d20+5)[6]

And I mean if nothing else he'll just lure the geriviar into attacking him while standing next to some of those stones, and hopefully cause him to destroy it for him.

If he really wants it destroyed. Which he thinks he does.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

@AngryCyc: The geriviar is currently unconscious. Just wanted to clarify that. If you wish to wait for him to regain consciousness, go ahead.

Extended Sigbox

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

I...

You just handed me a free level up. At least meta, I could just walk over and coup de gras it. But dammit I want to know more!

If I try to go destroy the rock circle some how, what will that need? I'm imagining none of the rocks are smaller than me. If there were smaller rocks making it up, I'd just go dismantle it while he slept. But since the rocks are probably twice the size of me, what do I need to do? Strength checks?

Or how about... Does it look like I can dig the foundations out with a bit of work and then topple the structure?

End goal, I want the geriviar to get in trouble if the armored guy comes back, and I wana watch and see how that unfolds.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Hey - I'm trying to get in contact with the rest of the DMs on these forums; specifically, those that run 3.5 or PF, are consistent, and are comfortable with higher-power games. Do you guys know of anyone that fits that description?

@Phelix-Mu - I'll be shooting you a PM later today.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCyc View Post
    I...

You just handed me a free level up. At least meta, I could just walk over and coup de gras it. But dammit I want to know more!

If I try to go destroy the rock circle some how, what will that need? I'm imagining none of the rocks are smaller than me. If there were smaller rocks making it up, I'd just go dismantle it while he slept. But since the rocks are probably twice the size of me, what do I need to do? Strength checks?

Or how about... Does it look like I can dig the foundations out with a bit of work and then topple the structure?

End goal, I want the geriviar to get in trouble if the armored guy comes back, and I wana watch and see how that unfolds.
    I guess you could kill the giant. But, again OOC, that would be very unwise, as the geriviar is being forced to work by a superior power that won't be too happy when his work goes unfinished. Actually, Tomas is probably clever enough to see why that would be a bad idea (he did see the Armoured Figure cleave off the big guy's arm, after all).

The rocks are way bigger than twice your size. The geriviar is a giant (was I unclear about that?...I'm realizing now I should have just called it "that four-armed giant thing"...woops), a Huge one at that. Thirty feet tall. All of the rocks were at least twenty feet tall, less than half that wide, and about tow-to-four feet thick. I don't want to crunch numbers, but the weight is in the many, many tons.

Tomas' main advantage is that the rocks are standing upright, and thus are balanced on their narrow edge. While it would take some effort and time, it would not be impossible to undermine them; most are on a bed of fist-sized rocks and small gravel that was around from the geriviar's daily activities (smashing rocks), as you suggested. Implements would be pretty necessary, but perhaps he can improvise something.

From his Knowledge(nature) check: Tomas vaguely remembers Parceny going on about stone circles one day. But he wasn't quite paying attention; the fey woman was sometimes quite hard to follow in conversation. (OOC, it's safe for Tomas to assume a connection between stone circles and fey.)

Two things complicate matters:
    1.) The ooze-like thing from before was ordered to watch and make sure things went smoothly. With the geriviar down, it will be hard for Tomas to wreck the circle and blame it on the visibly unconscious giant if there is a witness somewhere watching.

2.) The geriviar may not wake up. Tomas isn't really sure of its status, and hasn't checked. If it doesn't wake up, the work may or may not get finished (the completeness of the task isn't clear...but Tomas is inclined to think it's not done when it's compared to that other one). And if it's unconscious or dead by the time the Armoured Figure returns, Tomas might not learn anything.

So, he may attempt to dig out the foundations (will be difficult without tools, though). He should definitely confirm the condition of the geriviar. Tomas may roll Knowledge(nature) to know something about these rare giants, but it would be unwise to proceed with the undermining without having a means to tell if the big guy is waking up.

Your character's path is, as ever, up to you.

@RFLS: I've only played in a small handful of pbps on the forum. I've heard various people talking in a fashion that suggests they run those kind of games, but I wouldn't want to speak for them without access to the posts that left that impression (which I've since largely forgotten about).

What exactly are you looking to do? Maybe that's what the PM will be about.... I'm willing to help in whatever way I can.

Extended Sigbox

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Gotcha. Thanks. That's enough info to act on. I'll get a reply up later. I'm going to go with getting away from the summit, and trying to find Parceny. What all do I know about where she might be? Any leads?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

The mysterious Armoured Figure made an allusion to a "damn harlequin." Parceny fits that description. If the minion was set to guard the mountain and keep a lookout for Parceny, she could logically be thought to be in the area about the mountain.

Due to the aforementioned romance with Parceny, Tomas knows of several locales that she likes in the vicinity of the mountain.

- An exposed, empty lava tube beneath an old flank of the mountain. The cave is now filled with moss, ivy, and mushrooms, several types of which glow softly at night. It's located about 10 miles from Amio Hotsprings, but only four miles from the summit.

- A particularly large juniper tree located about a mile from Amio Hot Springs. She's said it's the oldest tree for miles around.

- Amio Hot Springs. She could have shown up there since Tomas left.

Extended Sigbox