New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Annotated Order of the Stick - A Companion Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Couple of missed things.

In 514, the box Haley is in reads "Imported from Greysky CIty." This is quite accurate, as that's where Haley is from.

In 515, Panel 1, Belkar is lamenting that he can't make the pineapples he is throwing "somehow explode." "Pineapple" is a common slang term for certain types of hand grenades due to a cross-hatched pattern etched on them for easier throwing.
    In 514, I left out that detail because she wasn't imported, and the other person with her wasn't from Greysky. I felt it was more just a worldbuilding thing, since the other box near it had Cliffport. In other words, its debatable whether that was a reference to her history or not, since other outliers exist, so I left it out. If people think this is more clear than I do, however, I'll put it in. So anyone else thinks so, speak up. Democracy time!

515, I'll look into including, with the proper fact if I can find it referenced somewhere online to link. Wikipedia time....

Thank you for your contributions!
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

An annotation for OtOoPC's.

Spoiler. Sort-of.

Spoiler
    Show

V's height is listed as 151 cm. According to Frank Harr's Conversion Spreadsheet that's only 4ft. 11 1/2 in. V's SHORT!

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15476516

I know I'm stealing this from someone else. But it's SO FUNNY

Zweisteine quoting Razanir:

"I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"

Bagnold could be one sixty-fourth halfling.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Colossus in the Playground

3.5 D&D Elves in general are short. 5 ft is the average, 4'7" the minimum, 5'5" the maximum, using the random tables.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by F.Harr View Post
    An annotation for OtOoPC's.

Spoiler. Sort-of.

Spoiler
    Show

V's height is listed as 151 cm. According to Frank Harr's Conversion Spreadsheet that's only 4ft. 11 1/2 in. V's SHORT!

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    3.5 D&D Elves in general are short. 5 ft is the average, 4'7" the minimum, 5'5" the maximum, using the random tables.
    Indeed. Also, since it's one of the bonus books, I'll have to back log it until I purchace them, since I can't review or directly reference the material currently. Added this fact to the FAQ, so that people know.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

5. - Top - End - #95

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Thanks!

Frank Harr's Conversion Spreadsheet, available only thought Frank Harr: Printer's Pie!
    Last edited by F.Harr; 2013-10-23 at 01:12 PM.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15476516

I know I'm stealing this from someone else. But it's SO FUNNY

Zweisteine quoting Razanir:

"I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"

Bagnold could be one sixty-fourth halfling.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

I always thought that #406 and #462's last three panels are oddly similar in a symbolic way.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97

There are several circumstantial similarities: Miko is doing the slashing, she is doing it two-handed (similar motion), she is slashing the same chair. What are the meaningful similarities? Symbolic of what?
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

1st panel - Miko raises her sword, while making a speech
    2nd panel - A worried paladin tells her not to do it
    3rd panel - Miko strikes

Basically, she didn't learn from her mistakes. She is repeating the same action that caused her to fall in the first place.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

9. - Top - End - #99

Eenteresting.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

10. - Top - End - #100

#722: Blackwing follows Haley as she falls.

#732: Durkon says "not again" in reference to getting left behind in the dungeon of Dorukan.
    Last edited by thereaper; 2013-10-30 at 05:49 PM.
    Wolfen Houndog - The World in Revolt (4e)
    The Mythic Warrior, a 3.5 base class that severs limbs and sunders armor
    The Nameless One, converted to 3.5 and 5e

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

This one's something that even D&D fans might not know, since it applied to the changes made between 3rd Edition and 3.5.
    #0001: All the changes to occur in the comic are references to the 3.5 upgrade. Elan gains armor and more skill points; the 3e bard had four skill points and could not cast in any armor, while the 3.5 bard had six and could cast in light armor (i.e. a chain shirt). Durkon, as a dwarf, gains Stability, a bonus to AC against a bull rush. Roy claims to "feel more intimidating;" the fighter gained Intimidate as a class skill.

Belkar's is a little more complex. 3e rangers were generally considered a subpar choice (hence "ranger crap"); they had only four skill points, and their abilities were either weaker (a 3e ranger is locked into two-weapon fighting, which was even weaker in 3e than in 3.5, Favored Enemy provided only half the bonus that the 3.5 version did, so a 20th-level ranger only did +5 damage) or just not there (basically everything but spells, track, favored enemy, and TWF). Belkar got his wish, but unfortunately, he also got hit by a reconfiguring of how weapons worked.

In 3rd Edition, all weapons were designed for Medium characters: a halfling used a short sword the same way a human used a longsword. This was what Belkar would have been doing in the 3e days: using two human-sized daggers as short swords. 3.5 did away with this, introducing weapons that were scaled for different-sized creatures to use. However, Belkar was carrying around two daggers, and instead of being converted to halfling-sized short swords, they became halfling-sized daggers. Hence, "weapon shrinkage."

Of course, Belkar's daggers seem to be no smaller than the daggers everyone else uses. Who knows?
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 2013-10-30 at 07:22 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102

I remembered to look it up - in Strip 55: The creature described as "And I don't even know what that one is supposed to be" is a Wolf In Sheep's Clothing, first appearing in the 1st edition Monster Manual II (aka. the one with the Tarrasque).

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

Two things -

Belkar's line about the ogres "making a very agreeable thump when they hit the ground" in 212 is a quote from Babylon 5 (as per the name of this website), where G'Kar is enthusing over a fight that he and "King Arthur" have just had with some ruffians threatening an old woman - "No moral ambiguities, no hopeless battle against ancient and overwhelming forces. They were the bad guys, we were the good guys, and they made a very agreeable thump when they hit the floor!"

The titles of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools may be, tenuously, a reference to the Frank Zappa song "Dancin' Fool".
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Probably something to add to the "will add in the future" is explanations for the names of the strips. For instance, strip #2 is called "second grade all over again", probably because Elan was picked last in second grade as well. (Already taken care of)

Of course, that's a huge undertaking, but it would be nice to see it eventually.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2014-01-07 at 11:43 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Storm_Of_Snow View Post
    I remembered to look it up - in Strip 55: The creature described as "And I don't even know what that one is supposed to be" is a Wolf In Sheep's Clothing, first appearing in the 1st edition Monster Manual II (aka. the one with the Tarrasque).
    The Wolf-in-Sheep's-Clothing first appeared in S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, where it was one of many odd-ball monsters appearing inside an alien starship that crashed into a kingdom, and was buried by rubble. It was collected, along with many other monsters that first appeared in "Dragon Magazine" or various adventure modules, in Monster Manual II.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Simon View Post
    The titles of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools may be, tenuously, a reference to the Frank Zappa song "Dancin' Fool".
    Rich has said before that the title of DCF wasn't a reference to anything.

17. - Top - End - #107

NinjaGuy

This was pointed out in the main thread for #928:

Quote Originally Posted by FullStop View Post
    I feel the need to point out that this isn't the first time an OOtS member communicated obliquely with V, which makes me think they have some combination of pre-arranged codes for things and practice with ad-libbing in ways they all understand (i.e. "Xykon" just means "a caster" and in this case, V probably ad-libbed "is chilly today" to point out he meant the caster wearing a piece of clothing useful for cold weather). This exact style of exchange (down to the confirmation of "I understand.") occurs in comic 716 between Haley and V.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thatSeniorGuy View Post
    This was pointed out in the main thread for #928:
    Nice find! I'm gonna be doing an update with may of these findings soon, stand by! Also, I'd like to start interpreting the update titles soon! Anyone want to help me head that project?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

I think many of the titles are pretty straightforward. Do we really need to point out that 1 New Edition refers to the upgrade to 3.5 rules?

Anyway, here's a start, just the ones that need annotation, IMHO.

3 See Spot Spot
    A series of reading primers for American children tell stolries about the children **** and Jane, and a dog named Spot. They are full of easy to read sentences such as "See Spot play with the ball."

6 The Cleric is 'In'
    A parody of the Peanuts comic strip. The character Lucy pretends to be a dolctor, and gives advice to Charlie Brown. She sits by a sign saying "The Doctor is IN"

9 I am Curious, Elan
    A reference to the films I Am Curious (Yellow) and I Am Curious (Blue)

20 Arcanolypse Now
    A reference to the film Apocalyse Now combined with the word arcane. The movie's dialog includeds "I love the smell of napalm in the morning... smells like victory" and "The horror, the horror" which are referenced in the strip.

28 Just Like on Three's Company
    Three's Company was an American sitcom. Much of the humour derived from comic misunderstandings, and double entendres.

35 Rogues Gone Wild!
    Parody of the Girls Gone Wild series.

36 Building a Better PC Trap
    References the saying "to build a better mousetrap"

39 Date with Destiny
    A date with Destiny is a phrase usually referring to an inescapable fate. Here it refers to Eugene arranging a romantic encounter (a date) while giving a prophesy (destiny)

40 The Gods Must be Busy
    References The Gods Must Be Crazy

43 What's Behind Door #2?
    References a gameshow hosted by Monty Hall, where the contestant was offered a choice of three doors. Behind one door was the star prize, a new car, while the other two concealed a goat.

59 The Shot Heard Round the Dungeon
    The phrase Shot heard round the world is used to describe several different historical events.

85 The Elder Puppet
    Reference to the "elder gods" in the works of H.P. Lovecraft

95 Dead Men Tell Tales
    The usual phrase is dead men tell no tales referring to killing a witness in order to silence him.

That's a start.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Another "Comic Title" comment:

Comic 167 is titled "Don't question the color of the bag". The Bag of Tricks comes in 3 different colors, each of which contains different animals.

Roy's bag (even though it is tan) has the properties of a grey bag of tricks, in that it releases cats, rats, weasels and badgers. However, in the last panel it releases a Rhino, which is only contained in the Tan bag of tricks. So Roy's bag doesn't actually follow the rules for any particular color of bag of tricks, thus "Don't question the color of the bag"

Already taken care of
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2014-01-07 at 11:42 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111

RedKnightGirl

Roy has apparently flipped through heavy metal albums before.

Edit: Potential minor plot hole regarding Bonus Material:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In Comic #665b (a bonus comic in Don't Split the Party), Belkar mentions the story of Hamlet by name. In Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tails Elan, Haley, Belkar and Roy tell stories upon the boat ride that occurs between #672 and #673 in the final section of the book. Roy's story is a re-telling of Hamlet. No one in the party recognizes the story, and Belkar accuses Roy of ripping the story almost straight from his own life.
    Last edited by Ghost Nappa; 2013-11-09 at 10:14 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112

925, third to last panel. Blackwing is carrying Haley's bow.
    Wolfen Houndog - The World in Revolt (4e)
    The Mythic Warrior, a 3.5 base class that severs limbs and sunders armor
    The Nameless One, converted to 3.5 and 5e

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

I've been meaning to give this a longer read than I have, but still I applaud what you've done!
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    9 I am Curious, Elan
    A reference to the films I Am Curious (Yellow) and I Am Curious (Blue)
    I don't think so.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

^ For that record, I doubt "The Cleric is 'In'" references Peanuts specifically -- the phrase "the doctor is in" is fairly commonplace, to my knowledge, and it was neither coined nor popularized by Charles Schultz.

The rest of those titles, though... Geez, I didn't realize how reference-heavy the comic was in its early days. It's rather amusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy View Post
    Related thought: 5e D&D PC with Hermit background. Discovery is that the universe is just a 5e D&D campaign. Trade in herbal kit proficiency for a gaming set proficiency: 5e D&D. Your "scroll case stuffed full of notes of you studies"? The PHB, DMG, and MM.
    "You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant." -- Harlan Ellison

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    I don't think so.
    Why don't you think so? I'm aware that the films are So Not Appropriate for a Family Forum Like This One, but their titles seem to me to be surely the reference for the title of that strip.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Bob View Post
    ^ For that record, I doubt "The Cleric is 'In'" references Peanuts specifically -- the phrase "the doctor is in" is fairly commonplace, to my knowledge, and it was neither coined nor popularized by Charles Schultz.
    Surely "The doctor is 'in'" was popularized (though not coined) by Charles Schulz. It's hard to substantiate the popularization of a phrase with such common English words, and hard to find a thoroughgoing examination of its etymology with a Google search, but a Google image search on the phrase makes it clear what position it occupies in pop culture.

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gamera View Post
    Why don't you think so? I'm aware that the films are So Not Appropriate for a Family Forum Like This One, but their titles seem to me to be surely the reference for the title of that strip.
    Considering the title for the strip where Roy met his mother in Celestia, anything's possible.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

So with my updating, I've hit a snag...where should I place the title of the strip references? Do you folks like the way I have each update, or should each fact of an update be a new bullet? Thoughts?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

1. I think this works for now. One bullet for every strip would be...overwhelming.

2. You should do it the way the archive does it. However, I wouldn't bother putting the strip titles in unless you have something to say about them. Adding the title for every strip just seems like too much work.

2: Second Grade all over again. The title of this strip refers to how Elan (presumably) always got picked last in second grade.