New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Curse of the Crimson Throne: IC

Curse of the Crimson Throne
    ~~Edge of Anarchy~~

For over three hundred years, Korvosa has stood as the greatest of cities in Varisia. Originally a Chelaxian colony settlement, the city lacks the grand history enjoyed by many of the nations of the Inner Sea region, but nonetheless has its own share of culture, prosperity, and influence that are cause for pride among its citizenry. Yet Korvosa remains a city of striking contrasts: honor and ill-repute, altruism and immorality, and wealth and poverty can all be found side by side in abundance. It is another day in the busy city, much the same as any other. Though for some certain people, things are about to get quite weird...

An explosion rattles the windows of a cheap apartment. As the smoke clears, a dwarf alchemist reaches for a rag to wipe the dust off his face. In doing so, he finds to his surprise a harrow card with a picture of the Forge in its place...

Across town, a wizard reaches for his trusty book of spells, only to find a similar card stuck into the pages like a bookmark. The grim expression of the Inquisitor greets him as he pulls it out to inspect the object...

In a small temple to Sarenae, a paladin stares in confusion at the card which until a moment ago was not there. The card is the Paladin, and the image on it, himself...

The young gunslinger is busily working, preparing a fresh stock of ammunition. So absorbed in his task is he that he doesn't realize he just tried to use a harrow card in place of paper for making a new cartridge. When he unfolds it, a crumpled Locksmith stares back at him...

In a noisy tavern not far away, a dark and brawny man reaches for his tankard. As he drinks, something falls away from the bottom of the mug and the Carnival reveals itself to him in all its colorful revelry...

Written on the back side of each harrow card is a message, and though they do not yet realize it, each message is the same:

"I know what Gaedran has done to you. He has wronged me as well. I know where he dwells, yet cannot strike at him. Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at sunset. Others like you will be there. Gaedran must face his fate, and justice must be done."

And of course, every one of these five has reason to hate the name Gaedran Lamm. And so it comes as no surprise that invariably, they all make their way to the appointed address at the appointed time to meet this mysterious individual who claims to offer them their revenge.
    Last edited by Mathemagics; 2013-10-03 at 10:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Curse of the Crimson Throne: IC

Korman never bothered to find that rag, not after the shock of reading the back of the harrow card now tucked safely in the oilcloth pouch on his belt. The special surprise he'd been preparing for Gaedran wasn't quite ready yet--the blasted trigger mechanism was still balky--but the dwarf was never short of incendiaries. He'd just have to make due without the device. After all, this was the first break in weeks of searching for that thieving, murderous wretch.

The soot-stained dwarf marches down Lancet Street at the appointed hour, any illusion of subterfuge implied by his unintentional black-face shattered by the jangle and clack of his small arsenal of weapons and alchemical vials. Not one for subterfuge, he knocks loudly on the door marked "3".

"It's me, Sootforge. I got the message."
    He bellows, fishing out the Harrow card.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2013-10-03 at 11:40 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mathemagics View Post
    "I know what Gaedran has done to you. He has wronged me as well. I know where he dwells, yet cannot strike at him. Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at sunset. Others like you will be there. Gaedran must face his fate, and justice must be done."
    "Finally, a lead..." Enon thought to himself after he read the card. Enon had only arrived back home to Korvosa but a few days ago. While his early part of the day was forced standing guard within Korvosa's Temple of Sarenrae, he spent the evenings searching for the streets for his friend, Rika.

Each day that passed gave no results. Strangely enough, it was like nobody had ever heard of her, like she never existed to begin with. This note finally gave Enon the satisfaction of the validation to her existence. The thought had crossed him that it could be a trap. Enon knew well enough from experience that Korvosa was a town that would not hesitate to be rid of people for asking too many questions. For good or ill, it was the only lead that Enon had to go on. It might be the only opportunity he would ever get.

Enon had to come up with an excuse as to why he couldn't spend some time catching up with his guardian of twelve years, Brother Alphonse. He wished he didn't have to do that to the one man that lovingly cared for him for so long. He would've really enjoyed the opportunity to catch up and gossip like old times.

Instead, tonight was for Rika. Enon kept that thought close to his heart as he stood at the door of 3 Lancet Street. Not knowing what to expect, Enon came fully armored in his scalemail and a shield on his back. His sword was sheathed and ready at his side. Over it all, Enon wore a heavy brown cloak and cowl as to mask any suspicion as to who he really is. It was also because he didn't want people giving him stares on account of being born albino.

With bated breath, Enon grabbed the handle on the knocker, clanging three times on the door. He released his grip on the handle after the third knock and waited for a response...
    The Siggy
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tsriel's Characters
    NONE! -

Tsriel's Game(s) DMing
    NONE! -

Tsriel's Private Reserve

4. - Top - End - #4

Devil

In a noisy tavern not far away, a dark and brawny man reaches for his tankard. As he drinks, something falls away from the bottom of the mug and the Carnival reveals itself to him in all its colorful revelry...
    Dan looks up and grins at his friends. "How'd you do that? It's a neat trick, I'll give you that." He holds up the Harrow card for them to see, noticing the writing on the back as he flips around in his fingers.

He was, in general, a genial young man. Cayden was a friendly drunk, from most of the stories, and Dan took after him in that way. But as he reads the note, his smile fades into an angry frown. It wasn't one of his friends who'd done this. "What is this..."

That was to be seen. Dan decides then and there to follow up on the mysterious note. It could be a trap; he'd pissed off more than one shiver dealer working with Lamm. Could be they'd decided to try to lure him someplace in order to jump him. If it was, he would be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhaakon View Post
    The soot-stained dwarf marches down Lancet Street at the appointed hour, any illusion of subterfuge implied by his unintentional black-face shattered by the jangle and clack of his small arsenal of weapons and alchemical vials. Not one for subterfuge, he knocks loudly on the door marked "3".

"It's me, Sootforge. I got the message."
    He bellows, fishing out the Harrow card.
    Dan had been watching the building for half an hour, wary of a trap. Seeing this dwarf stride right up and bang on the door makes him grin- safely in the shadows of an alley down the block. That decides him. If this was a trap, he wouldn't be alone.

The big Shoanti-looking young man emerges from the alley and walks down the street with purposeful strides designed to discourage random violence. In his loaned Sable Company armor, in the tricky light of sunset, he looked like a legitimate member of the city guard. Of course, a closer look betrays the fact that all the insignia has been removed- and there's not a hippogriff in sight- so maybe legitimate wasn't the right word for it.

He walks up behind the dwarf. At nearly six and a half feet tall and built like a blacksmith, he would have loomed if he hadn't politely and prudently stayed well out of arm's reach. Dan clears his throat so as not to surprise anyone who hasn't seen him approach. "Now that I think about it, I'm not surprised Lamm has more people than just me who want to see him brought down. They probably could have just posted a bulletin in the marketplace instead of all this cloak and dagger stuff."
    Last edited by Karl Prosek; 2013-10-04 at 10:15 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

As Dan walks up to join the dwarf at the front door, there is still no reply to the knock. Another minute or so passes until it seems obvious that either nobody is home or they don't intend to answer. A quick test of the door handle, however, proves that the residence is unlocked. As they've come this, there seems to be no reason to leave just yet...

Opening the door, the pair find inside a small cozy room that is distinctly Varisian in decor. A number of woven tapestries hang on the walls while the floor is covered by several colorful rugs. A pleasant fragrant haze hangs in the air, produced by a pair of incense burners on the far side of the room. The only furnishings visible are a small table with a red cloth over it and a number of chairs. Lying face-up on top of the table is a small slip of paper held under a stone weight. Upon it is a scribbled message.

"Thank you for coming. I had to step out for a bit, but shall return shortly. Please have a seat while you wait. The basket under the table contains bread and drink for you."

A quick search under the table reveals that there is indeed a basket filled with bread that is a little on the dry side, but good, and a bottle of decent wine.

As the pair are looking around, a threefold knock is heard at the door.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm placing Korman and Dan arriving before Enon to smooth out arrivals. So that's Enon knocking on the door that they hear.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

The young gunslinger examines the card, turning it end over end across the knuckles of one stained hand. Not the card he was used to seeing; an altogether friendlier one, with a welcome message. Could Iacomo have found Gaedran himself? Maybe. He certainly couldn't bring the bastard down alone. He needed allies. He needed resources.

He needed someone to get Lamm to stand still while he lined up the shot.

The only thing that he needed which he could furnish in the moment, however, was bullets. Lots of bullets. Finishing off the cartridge, Iacomo scrawls a GL on it in a hasty, looping scrawl. Examining his work, he nods and lets a wicked grin spread over his face. This one's got your name on it, Gaedran.

~~~

Iacomo left for the meet early. He didn't bother casing the joint. Rather, he'd walked the neighborhood for the last two hours, mapping out escape routes and which houses had open windows for startling, spontaneous dives. Always Be Prepared was one of the Rules, capital R. It takes a lot of careful groundwork to let Iacomo look like he's making things up as he goes along.

With that accomplished, up strolls a tattooed Varisian in flamboyantly colored clothes, a pleasant and polite smile on his face, a musket slung over his shoulder. " Evening," Iacomo says to Enon, touching two powdery white knuckles to his forehead in greeting and respect. " Lovely night, in't?" He asks while they wait for the paladin's knocks to be answered.
    Exitus Acta Probate Pax Paritur

7. - Top - End - #7

Devil

A quick search under the table reveals that there is indeed a basket filled with bread that is a little on the dry side, but good, and a bottle of decent wine.
    Dan grunts as Korman reads the note. "This is the best catered set-up I've ever been to." He picks up the bottle of wine and grunts again, this time in surprise. The huge man turns the bottle so the dwarf can read the label. "Not the best year, but it's a good winery. Not what I'd leave out to entrap a couple of strangers. What do you think- poisoned or just something to get us to stay here until the thugs show up?"

As the pair are looking around, a threefold knock is heard at the door.
    Dan puts down the still unopened bottle of wine and smirks at the door. "I didn't expect them to knock." He puts his hand on the wooden haft of what looks like a spiked mace with a head in the shape of a spiky bronze sun. "Let's say hello. I wouldn't want to be impolite."

He glances over at Korman before going to the door. "I'm not expecting head-thumpers with that knock, but still, be ready."

Quote Originally Posted by NobodyMuch View Post
    With that accomplished, up strolls a tattooed Varisian in flamboyantly colored clothes, a pleasant and polite smile on his face, a musket slung over his shoulder. " Evening," Iacomo says to Enon, touching two powdery white knuckles to his forehead in greeting and respect. " Lovely night, in't?" He asks while they wait for the paladin's knocks to be answered.
    Dan opens the door- a huge, dark skinned Shoanti man with a bare fuzz of hair on his head and wearing the dark armor of Sable Company, if insignia-less and of an old style- with one hand on the haft of his morningstar. In spite of his intimidating appearance he has a smile on his face. "I was just saying that to my new friend here. Well, about a wine, not the night. Hello. I don't suppose either of you are the owner of this house, or else you wouldn't be knocking. We seem to be in the position of inviting you in, without a host."
    Last edited by Karl Prosek; 2013-10-04 at 12:09 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

DrowGuy

Enon's head snapped over his shoulder in a start. His hazel colored eyes were wide with surprise for a brief moment before his brow formed a furrow of curiousity.

"Well, the message did say there would be others..."

"Yes, it is," Enon replied, "I don't suppose you would be--"

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Prosek View Post
    Dan opens the door- a huge, dark skinned Shoanti man with a bare fuzz of hair on his head and wearing the dark armor of Sable Company, if insignia-less and of an old style- with one hand on the haft of his morningstar. In spite of his intimidating appearance he has a smile on his face. "I was just saying that to my new friend here. Well, about a wine, not the night. Hello. I don't suppose either of you are the owner of this house, or else you wouldn't be knocking. We seem to be in the position of inviting you in, without a host."
    Dan's greeting gave Enon and even bigger fit of surprise. Enon thought himself as a decently sized fellow but this man was notably bigger than him if not more imposing despite the friendly grin. Enon looked back briefly at Iacomo then back to Dan, matching grin for grin. This whole scenario was making Enon uneasy, but he could not sense anything that might be a justifiable cause for danger. He did his best to not show his discomfort.

"How unfortunate that our 'host' is not present among us. May we step in?" Enon inquiried as he motioned towards Iacomo behind him. "I guess all of us have things to talk about," Enon tried to sound jovial despite the unusual set of circumstances.
    The Siggy
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tsriel's Characters
    NONE! -

Tsriel's Game(s) DMing
    NONE! -

Tsriel's Private Reserve

9. - Top - End - #9

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Tsriel View Post
    "How unfortunate that our 'host' is not present among us. May we step in?" Enon inquiried as he motioned towards Iacomo behind him. "I guess all of us have things to talk about," Enon tried to sound jovial despite the unusual set of circumstances.
    Dan steps out of the way and sweeps his hand- the one that had been resting on the haft of his weapon- at the room. "Please. Be my guest." As Enon and Iacomo enter, Dan gestures at the note on the table as he closes the door.

"We do have some things to talk about. Our absent host left a note but didn't say when he would be back. Just before you arrived I was asking..." he glances at the dwarf to allow him to insert his name. "I was half-joking that this was a setup. It's damn strange, regardless."

"I'm Dan, by the way." The big man puts out a hand to shake with whoever cares to introduce themselves.

10. - Top - End - #10

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Prosek View Post
    Dan steps out of the way and sweeps his hand- the one that had been resting on the haft of his weapon- at the room. "Please. Be my guest." As Enon and Iacomo enter, Dan gestures at the note on the table as he closes the door.

"We do have some things to talk about. Our absent host left a note but didn't say when he would be back. Just before you arrived I was asking..." he glances at the dwarf to allow him to insert his name. "I was half-joking that this was a setup. It's damn strange, regardless."

"I'm Dan, by the way." The big man puts out a hand to shake with whoever cares to introduce themselves.
    Enon, in reply, extends his hand, grasping past his hand and onto Dan's inner forearm. It was a handshake of understanding. It was a handshake shared between prominent men.

Good to meet you. I'm Enon and behind me is...errr...

Enon looked behind him with an awkward gaze.

Well...hmm, I'm sorry. I don't think we ever got the chance to introduce ourselves at the door.
    The Siggy
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tsriel's Characters
    NONE! -

Tsriel's Game(s) DMing
    NONE! -

Tsriel's Private Reserve

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

With that grin still on his affable face, Iacomo strides into the room as though it were home. Sure, he's never been here, but he sure seems comfortable. He examines the bottle of wine, nods. " Good stuff." A quick clever bit of business with a pocket knife and the cork is out of the bottle. Scrounging up some small ceramic glasses, the 'singer pours for any of the others who might want a drink.

" Name's Iacomo, YAH-ko-mo. I've got a gun and a grudge." Fishing in a pouch, he pulls a bullet out, tosses it into the air and catches it. " Lamm's got something that belongs to me, and I've got something for him, too."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

That was... interesting. Diancan peered at the card that had been stuck inside his book. He was sure it hadn't been there a minute ago. Examining it, he found the message on the back, and was strangely comforted by it's imperative tone. Someone was giving him an opportunity here, and he'd be a fool to ignore that. He gave one last look at the inquisitor, then tucked the card into a pocket and got back to work.

----

Several hours later, Diancan hustles though the streets, large coat billowing behind him. The sun had set some minutes ago; he was late to this mysterious rendezvous. Without breaking stride, he walks right up to the door of number three and gives it a few raps with his staff, catching his breath while he waits for someone to answer. He begins to prepare an apology in his mind, should one prove necessary.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Korman had immediately dug into the food as soon as he'd finished reading the note (Never pass up a meal if you don't know when the next one's coming--whether it's moldy or soggy or cold, advice from a wise veteran sapper that he'd taken to heart). So when the door opens again and Enon makes his introductions, Korman's busy half-choking on a mouth full of stale bread.

He's barely managed to swallow the mass as the introductions are made, with help from several swigs of wine (a better vintage than the backyard brew he's used to finding in the slums, but still no proper drink for a dwarf).

"Korman Sootforge, at your service." He extends a hand, but thinks better of it once he gets a look at the thick coating of soot and worse marring his fleshy mitt. He quickly withdraws it and self-consciously wipes at the filth with the red tablecloth. It was easy to forget little things like basic hygiene when experimenting, or drinking, or drinking while experimenting.

"And if you're also looking to give Lamm a 'special present,' I'm afraid that you'll find yourself fighting me for the honor. I'll not even be giving that man..." he spits the word out, finding it too good for Gaedran, but unable to come up with a better one. "...I'll not even give him the ogre's choice. He's dying slow."

Someone raps at the door as he's speaking, and Korman finishes by calling out, "It's open!"

14. - Top - End - #14

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Tsriel View Post
    Enon, in reply, extends his hand, grasping past his hand and onto Dan's inner forearm. It was a handshake of understanding. It was a handshake shared between prominent men.

Good to meet you. I'm Enon and behind me is...errr...

Enon looked behind him with an awkward gaze.

Well...hmm, I'm sorry. I don't think we ever got the chance to introduce ourselves at the door.
    Dan gives a hearty handshake and grins. He glances at the dwarf digging into the food. "We had that problem, too. Good to meet you, Enon."

" Name's Iacomo, YAH-ko-mo. I've got a gun and a grudge." Fishing in a pouch, he pulls a bullet out, tosses it into the air and catches it. " Lamm's got something that belongs to me, and I've got something for him, too."
    Dan's eyes widen. "You have a pistol? I've heard of them but never seen one up close. Do you have it with you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bhaakon View Post
    "And if you're also looking to give Lamm a 'special present,' I'm afraid that you'll find yourself fighting me for the honor. I'll not even be giving that man..." he spits the word out, finding it too good for Gaedran, but unable to come up with a better one. "...I'll not even give him the ogre's choice. He's dying slow."

Someone raps at the door as he's speaking, and Korman finishes by calling out, "It's open!"
    Dan had been distracted enough by Iacomo's gun talk that he hadn't properly responded to either his or Korman's introductions. He grimaces at the dwarf's promised retribution, though, and nods at the sentiment. "Sounds like somebody hates him more than I do."

The big Shoanti turns at the new knock and moves to open the door, hand once more on the haft of his weapon. He smiles at Diancan, glancing briefly over the new man's shoulder to look down the street."Come in. It's turning into quite a party in here, and we're still without a host. If I'd known I would've brought another bottle of wine."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Diancan opens the door, only to find a giant of a man on the other side moving to open it himself. "Oh, why, hullo there. Seems like you have quite the gathering here already." he says, noticing the others and the bottle of wine.

"Are you then one I should credit with this fine trick?" he asks, pulling the harrow card from a pocket as he steps confidently through the door. It seemed doubtful, since he looked to be a Sable Company guard, but you never knew with magic.

Diancan takes off his coat, revealing a rather plain rugged shirt and trousers beneath, before hanging it on the staff and leaning both against the wall. He glances around again, trying to judge who's in charge of the proceedings.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-10-04 at 08:10 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Shortly after Diancan's arrival, the group hears the sound of the door opening as a woman enters. She seems to be about middle-aged, though still quite attractive, and is almost unmistakably of Varisian ethnicity. She smiles as she nods at the assembled visitors in greeting before shutting the door behind her.

"Greetings, friends. I am Zellara."

Zellara invites those to sit who haven't already done so as she takes a seat at the table herself. Conveniently, there are just enough chairs for everyone. After seating herself, the woman pulls out a harrow deck, which she begins to idly shuffle as she continues her introduction.

"Firstly, thank you all for coming, and I apologize for the unconventional method of contacting you. I have a reason to remain hidden, you see, as there is a certain individual who would dearly love to see me dead should he learn that I have reached out to others for help. Naturally, I am sure that all of you can guess who this individual is; I speak of course of the man called Gaedran Lamm."

She pauses a moment for impact as she sets the deck down on the table and looks everyone fixedly in turn.

"Gaedran is a monster, a man whose cruelty and capacity to destroy the lives of others are matched only by his ability to avoid justice. Like each of you, I too have been harmed at the hands of this wicked person. A year ago, his thieves stole this deck, a family heirloom over a dozen generations old. When my son tried to get it back... Gaedran had him murdered."

Zellara stops once more, a sorrowful expression overtaking her features. She takes a deep breath and lets it out as a sigh to calm herself before continuing once more.

"I sought justice from the guards, but they would not help. Gaedran is too well connected. So I paid bribes, I consulted my deck, I listened to the drunks in the taverns, and after a year of searching I have finally found where Gaedran hides. And more importantly, I have found others who hate him every bit as much as I do and would gladly see him pay for his sins.

It is time for Gaedran Lamm to die. Will you help me?"
    Last edited by Mathemagics; 2013-10-04 at 10:17 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Korman nods as Zellara describes her difficulty in bringing that snake to task. Granted, the dwarf hadn't bothered with the guard--they couldn't be bothered about the fate of indigents and addicts, and Korman wanted to get vengeance himself anyway--but he wasn't surprised. Weeks of searching on his own had revealed hints of other foul crimes, but no line on Gaedran's whereabouts.

Of course, there could only be one answer to the woman's question.

"YES!" The dwarf roars, slamming a fist down in the table. "If you can point the way, do it quickly. I'll see that creature roasting on a spit as quick as I can get to him."

But the excited dwarf's eyes suddenly narrow and his boisterous shout drops to a dangerous whisper. "One thing, though. How did you get your deck back from him?" Under the table, his scarred left hand drops to a vial on his belt.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

" A pistol? Ah, no. Much as I am sure they are admired in certain circles as curiosities, I have something a bit more substantial." Iacomo lowers a shoulder and shifts the musket from where it rests on his back to his hands, cradling the dealer of death with his drug-damaged hands. Given how tenderly the 'singer holds the weapon, one would have certainly expected it to be of higher quality. Anyone who'd seen a gun before would know it to have been an older musket, re-fiited and re-bored by an amateur. To a less experienced eye, of course, it just looks like a big stonking gun. " This would be my rockrana. When trouble comes knocking... she speaks for me."

~~~

Listening to their hosts story, Iacomo nods as she speaks, her words clearly resonating with him. A sip of wine while the story winds to a close, wetting his tongue. " Such are the avrino, always hunting for ways to prey on our people." His is somber now, the grin gone. He seethes underneath his reserve, meaning every word that he is about to speak. " Never again will this beast steal away the life of a child. We will see him broken completely, even the memory of him stricken from the history of the world."

19. - Top - End - #19

Devil

Dan goggles at the musket, clearly being the latter sort of observer- to him it was just a big ol' gun, not an old, inexpertly repaired one. "Amazing." He shakes his head in appreciation of the exotic technology.

The big man simply nods at Zellara's invitation. There's no trace of a smile on his friendly face. "Absolutely. The man needs to die."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Diancan takes a seat with the rest when Zellara arrives, then watches with curiosity as she shuffles her cards. He munches on a piece of bread as she tells her story, his face shifting to a frown, and he looks quite grim by the end.

"I understand why you all seek his death. I think imprisonment would be more of a punishment myself, but I won't deny you all your revenge. Of course I will help."
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-10-05 at 12:38 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

The Varisian woman's expression becomes sombre at the dwarf's question, and it takes a moment before she replies. When she does, it is in a drained and dispirited voice.

"I... would rather not recount the events that led me to be reunited with my deck. They are most unpleasant."

Clearly it is a painful or otherwise sensitive subject for her. Hoping that no further explanation upon that topic is needed, Zellara returns to her original topic. Glancing at each in turn, she offers the group a grim smile.

"Gaedran can be found in an old abandoned fishery, not far to the north. The address is at Westpier 17. He is confident that the obscurity of his hiding place will protect him, and keeps a light guard at hand, only enough to keep the enslaved orphans in line."

At this point she picks up her deck once again and begins to shuffle through it. There is decidedly more purpose in her actions now than when she idly handled the cards upon her arrival.

"If you all would wish it, I shall perform a harrowing to see you off. I have some skill with the cards, and the reading may prove useful in the endeavor."

Zellara continues shuffling the harrow deck, clearly indicating that she herself would appreciate someone accepting her offer, but nonetheless respecting the others' wishes and waiting for their reply before proceeding.
    Last edited by Mathemagics; 2013-10-05 at 03:53 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

After a few moments of consideration, the lure of information on Gaedran proves too much for Korman's better judgement. His left hand returns to the table and reaches once more for more bread and wine.

"Aye, then I won't press you. Let us have a reading, then be off to see Mr. Lamm." He replies, adding, to himself, it will give me a chance to finish eating.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Harrow magic was an obscure topic academically, and Diancan had never been inclined to pay for a reading before. He leans in to better observe the process, food forgotten. "Yes, let's have a reading before we go."

24. - Top - End - #24

DrowGuy

Never before had Enon ever felt so out of place. People were talking about this 'Gaedran Lamm' person like he was well known within the city. Maybe it was, but Enon had been gone for so long that he barely knew anybody within Korvosa now.

Look, I don't know where this is going, but I came here to find a friend. What does this Gaedran guy have anything to do with finding Rika? I am guessing you know something about her, right?
    The Siggy
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tsriel's Characters
    NONE! -

Tsriel's Game(s) DMing
    NONE! -

Tsriel's Private Reserve

25. - Top - End - #25

Devil

Dan grimaces and turns toward Enon while Zellara prepares her deck. "Lamm's a small time crimelord who runs shiver dens and street crime. The kind of man who's too minor to attract the kind of attention from the rich and powerful to get the Guard or the Hellknights involved, but has enough of an organization to bedevil us poor folk. I don't know your Rika, but he... 'collects' lost children to be pickpockets and lookouts."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

"If Rika's a kid, she'll be where we're going. Which means, in the incidentals, we'll have to be careful how we take this slug down. We can't just, you know, set fire to the warehouse. Too many innocents in there."

The slinger crosses his arms at the suggestion of an examination of the future. Odd for a Varisian to be less than pleased with Harrow reading. " I... if you think it important, go ahead and do a reading. I've not had the best luck with them. But, hey, what's the worst that can happen?," Iacomo askes with reverse optimism, forming the question that more or less is certain to tempt fate.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

"First then is the Choosing."

Zellara shuffles the deck, in the process filtering out nine cards which she spreads out in a line face-down on the table. She gestures that each of the party select a single card and reveal it. Diancan happens to be first, and he turns his card over to reveal The Demon's Lantern. The next turn is Iacomo, who draws The Cricket. Enon selects his card and turns it over, and the Peacock is uncovered. Korman's choice is shown to be The Dance while Dan goes last, picking The Juggler.

Nodding, Zellara waits for the cards chosen to be returned, then shuffles them back into the deck, along with the four that remained face-down. She then proceeds to place nine cards face-down in a 3x3 array on the table. Pausing a moment, the Varisian then turns the left-most column over, starting at the top.

"The Peacock. The Dance. The Cyclone. You have been exposed to evil, and it has brought havoc to your lives, yet this has brought about great change. Change which has led to harmony and stability."

Continuing, Zellara turns over the center column of cards, again starting at the top and working downwards.

"The Snakebite. The Idiot. The Survivor. Now you have come to chance upon a great discovery, but you must not let this new-found knowledge blind you to foolishness or greed.... Even now, you may suffer a profound loss..."

She finally turns her attention to the rightmost column and flips it over in turn.

"The Lost. The Owl. The Publican. You must remain calm in troubling times, or you shall lack the wisdom to see you through. Look to yourselves for strength, for refuge shall not be found."

Zellara stares at the cards for several seconds in silence, contemplating to see if anything further might be gleaned from them. She gives a small sigh and sits.

"That is all the cards say. I am sorry there could not be more, but at least it is something. I will not keep you any longer, good luck."

She collects the cards and returns them to the deck, which she begins to shuffle absentmindedly once again. Having said her piece and done what she can to aid her fellow conspirators, she seems reluctant to speak further unless asked.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

If there's one good thing about Korman's distracting facial scar, it's that people tend not to notice when less than complementary expressions play across his face Bah, rot and nonsense. I don't know what I was expecting.

Ahem
    , he clears his throat pointedly, "Let's hit the cobbles, then. I'd hate for Gaedran to slip away on some errand while we sit around chatting." The dwarf stands, takes one last swig of wine, and turns for the door.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

The Varisian exhales as the reading ends. Not nearly so bad as he was afraid of, that! No doom, no gloom. Not really, at least. That bit about no refuge was a bit of a worry... "He's in for the night. Kicking back while his victims make him his gilt. He won't run once we're there, neither. Coward though he be, he loves his money more. He won't abandon his 'little Lamms' until its obvious that he's no chance."

" Though, a bit of surprise wouldn't hurt. Don't suppose you're able to magic us unvisible, yeh mysterious man?," asks Iacomo of the be-robed presumed magic user whose name he still hasn't caught as he preloads his musket, getting ready to head out.
    Last edited by NobodyMuch; 2013-10-07 at 01:53 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Devil

Dan stands and shrugs at Iacomo. "I wouldn't count on him not running. He's a survivor. We're not going to be the first people who've ever tried to take him down. But hopefully he's as confident nobody knows where he is as you believe," he nods at Zellara, "and we can catch him."

The big man moves toward the door, though he doesn't open it until everyone is ready to go.