New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

View Poll Results: Should miko have died in strip 369?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes she should have died and not come back

8 7.41%
  • Yes she should have died but then get raised later

10 9.26%
  • No eveything went right and she lived

61 56.48%
  • Oh please stop the polls my heads going to explode nooo!!!

29 26.85%
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Miko and Redcloak

Yeah Yeah i know im pretty sure theres a thread around here somewhere stateing this but i just need to ask...why dident redcloaks distruction should have killed Miko after the harm spell was used. i know im sort of stateing the obveous but as far as i know harm is supost to lower the targets hp to 1-4 hps so she should have died if the destruction lost the first throw then it could do normal damage right?

so im just curious so im setting up a poll...who else here thinks from those circomstances that miko should have rolled over and croaked? im sure theres more then just me heres a link below so you can look yourself: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0369.html
    help my little dragons to be: please click this link and view them, help me care for them!
    PS: due to overexurtion...my eggs in the incubator are dead...please help my new eggs :)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Miko and Redcloak

I Hate Miko!!!!!!
    Like my Tompkintar?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

That was SO 2nd edition. Harm deals 10 damage/level now. Half on a succesful saving throw, which Miko probably did anyway, since her saves are so high.

So, for spite all the Miko haters out there, no rule was broken. Nyah.

EDIT: Hyikim, very informative and in-depth post. I'm sure everyone appreciates it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Check the spell's description again, Harm is 10 damage per caster level (will save for half), so it's entirely possible that Miko could've survived both spells.

EDIT: ninja'd, as believe the saying goes.

As for the 2.0 thing, it also drops the target to 1d4 HP in NWN, which is based off 3.0. But then Bioware seem to like changing rules arbitrarily, so that doesn't count for much.
    Last edited by Lòkki Gallansbayne; 2006-12-31 at 02:14 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I believe she heals herself in the 8th panel before being hit with Destruction. In any case, we don't know how many HP she has - she could have survived both spells. If she made the save from Harm, she would have taken at most 75 damage. Destruction (saved against, obviously) is 10d6 damage. 135 damage max with both saves, 210 with only Destruction saved against.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/harm.htm
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/destruction.htm
    Proud Master-of-Straitjackets of the Miko Fanclub. Miko just needs a hug!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay sorry...i have almost never played PNP with 3.5 rules and only NWN i feel so stupid but oh well...i WISH i could do PNP i love it but *sigh* nevermind
    help my little dragons to be: please click this link and view them, help me care for them!
    PS: due to overexurtion...my eggs in the incubator are dead...please help my new eggs :)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mawhrin Skel View Post
    I believe she heals herself in the 8th panel before being hit with Destruction.
    Ah yes, it would seem you're right. Nice to someone's been keeping up their spot checks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie_1066
    Okay sorry...i have almost never played PNP with 3.5 rules and only NWN i feel so stupid but oh well...i WISH i could do PNP i love it but *sigh* nevermind
    Don't worry, I'm a huge NWN addict myself. I only started playing PNP recently and I used to get rules mixed up constantly the first few times. I know exactly how you feel.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lòkki Gallansbayne View Post
    Ah yes, it would seem you're right. Nice to someone's been keeping up their spot checks. Don't worry, I'm a huge NWN addict myself. I only started playing PNP recently and I used to get rules mixed up constantly the first few times. I know exactly how you feel.
    at least you get to PLAY PNP i cant even find 1 person to play with so i cant play at all...lucky

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

I still think that the battle would be in the least, very much closer if Redcloak hadn't turned his back on Miko when trying to talk to Xykon.

I mean, how much damage do you think Miko was able to get in when he wasn't paying attention?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Face it, Miko will come back as a minion of Xykon..., that's why they didn't kill her... (Xykon himself would have ended her life with just a word, but he didn't) and even if she doesn't come back as a Black Guard, just Paladin fare and square, Belkar will still try to make Miko loose here Paladin powers anyway, so it will be easier for him to kill her.

Besides, wether "technically" Miko should have died in that strip, Rich needs her to continue the plot, remember she "swore" to kill the whole Oots for their "crimes" and mock to "justice", so, she won't die so easily being as stuborn as she is with her promises

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Argh! Another poll another hatred of Miko! But she lived so I can hate here more!
    Proud owner of a Disatar!
    Winner of PGS Round 14!
    My Ceikatars & Evatar!
    I'm back guys! Don't get too excited!

I have no life, only an existance.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, by now it's not unlikely that Miko should have failed a save.
    But then, as a story, people never fail saves unless the story wants them to.
    All is well in ootsland.
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah... Harm really has way too powerful in previous editions. Personally, I am happy with the change.

As for Miko dieing, no matter what the rules say, if Rich wanted her to survive, she would, and if he wanted her to die, she would also. So it doesn't really matter one way or the other.
    Merfyn, Level 80 Paladin
    Caddoc, Level 80 Warlock

Proud owner of a vintage Disatar!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Miko, being a fairly important character, has a certain amount of plot immunity. So she'll only really have to be concerned if Xykon or Redcloak learn to cast Summon Cutscene.
    Miko Discordia avatar by ocato

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Summon Cutscene is a bard spell.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    Well, by now it's not unlikely that Miko should have failed a save.
    The saving throws of a monk/paladin are pretty hard to beat.

17. - Top - End - #17

PaladinGuy

Yeah, especially because we know Miko's CHA is at least 16, which means that Divine Grace adds to the already damn impressive paladin saving throws...
    Honor guard at the funeral in the Miko Fan Club.

Those who are too stupid to run, I salute you.

Human Male, age 35

"Have you come to lecture me on my evil ways?"

"Actually, I brought you some supper. But if you'd prefer a lecture, I've a few very catchy ones prepped; sin and hellfire... one has lepers."

- Inara and Book, Firefly

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Shadic View Post
    I still think that the battle would be in the least, very much closer if Redcloak hadn't turned his back on Miko when trying to talk to Xykon.

I mean, how much damage do you think Miko was able to get in when he wasn't paying attention?
    Ok, let's see. Assuming Str 13, Level 14 Paladin, +4 Katana, Power Attack for half and no crit. The average a D10 is 5.5, so lets say 6. She would then get another +1 from Str, +14 from Smite Evil, +4 from the Katana and another +8 from the Power Attack. That's a total of 33.

If it was a crit then it would be 65. Ouch.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Im probably not the first mentioning it, but the whole miko wanting to kill OOTS is very much like Jail Waiden Maiev Shadowsong's rage in the wc3 campaign. She starts out as a do-gooder, but ends up being consumed by her hatred for illidan, and goes agains the direct order of Malfurion Stormrage (following illidan into outland if i remember corect).

eh.. sry for offtopic.
    Evil

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

yeah i guess eveyones right...im so stupidly used to NWN spells that i know harm as being VASTLY overpowered...so i guess she would live. and as for her surviveing cause rich wanted her too i also agree so i guess eveyone else is right the thing is i was just thinking she could come back anyway, cause of a raise dead or even a miricle from her gods. so anyway im going to say miko is most certainly going to go all blackguard on the OOTS her holy blue light will eventually turn dark! she will before a embodyment of evil just as luke skywalker once did!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyke_D View Post
    Im probably not the first mentioning it, but the whole miko wanting to kill OOTS is very much like Jail Waiden Maiev Shadowsong's rage in the wc3 campaign. She starts out as a do-gooder, but ends up being consumed by her hatred for illidan, and goes agains the direct order of Malfurion Stormrage (following illidan into outland if i remember corect).

eh.. sry for offtopic.
    Actually, unless I missed something, Maiev didn't fall that much. Which is to say, there's nowhere to fall; she's a two-dimensional Warden character with a single-minded desire to detain Illidan. As well-written as Miko? Nah.

22. - Top - End - #22

GRAH! No more Miko-h4t3 threads! Or Miko support threads that inevitably draw Miko Haters! My mind reels...

As for the topic, No, Miko shouldn;t have died because if she did, I wouldn't have anyone to aim pure and possibly unjustified rage against.

I would have been fine if she DID die but from a literary standpoint, that's a crappy death, I mean, I figure the main characters ought to be around to SEE it at least. that immediately cuts short Belkars little prophecy. Just a smidgen.
    Member of a fanclub.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

I think 369 worked out fine but come on she should have been much more injured than she was in 374

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0374.html
    Endless thanks and praise to my anonymous benefactor for the great Tharjatar... or is it a Smitatar?