Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Skeins of Pentrachia [3.5 Magitech]

"What happens now is beyond our control."
    - Azriel, Emissary of Death, to Anzariah, Arch-Solar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bennagun hastened to complete his labor; he'd be more than lucky if the fairies left him alone for the rest of the evening. Much as the gnome enjoyed a good prank--and he'd been responsible for his share this FairieLuck--his superiors would not approve of this kind of excuse for a late quarterly report.

"Oh, Vimashuna preserve me," he swore, after breaking yet another quill. He reached for the one from his field pack.

On the 17th eve of Third Moon he wrote, wiping the sweat from his brow. Yes, this was the important bit, he thought, cringing as he recalled yesterday's events....

Spoiler: Textwall...Please read.
    Show
    A most disturbing phenomenon occurred. As per standard protocol, a team of mages had arrived from the city, laden with the instruments necessary to make exacting measurements of the Corona. All was going as normal; the bi-monthly measurements had been stable since the discovery was made, almost ten years ago.

One of the mages, one Egronimus, necropolitan of some distinction in the city, announced that he was experimenting with a new type of probe. The mages discussed the matter briefly, and after putting it to a vote, allowed Egronimus to proceed.

The probe itself appeared to be made of a series of concentric, spherical fields of evoked force, each coupled with a shaped antimagic shell directly inside it. Suspended in the gap between each "sandwich" of fields were several tiny mundane objects; a quill, scissors, a small figurine of a horse, and the like. In the center of the concentric spheres, was a top-of-the-line control matrix, linked to the master crystal that Egronimus was carrying.

The mage maneuvered the probe into position next to the Corona; the radiant blue transparent field that surrounded this area of the polar region pulsed silently. All was normal. The probe entered the Corona, guided by Egronimus.

[This chronicler reports an unconfirmed and possibly erroneous reflection of Egronimus in the surface of the Corona, a highly anomalous phenomena for which no explanation can be found. None of the other mages, or Egronimus himself, however, observed anything amiss.]

Speaking into his vocoder, Egronimus began the experiment. Dropping the first layer of sandwiched fields, the suspended objects were exposed to the Corona. As experienced previously, the Corona animates objects of all sorts that enter its outer reaches.

For the next few minutes, all proceeded as expected. The control matrix delivered exacting data on magnitude of magical aura and dweomer makeup of the animated objects to Egronimus. The results were promising, new data that would make the mage the talk of the research community back home. He steered the probe deeper into the Corona, past the Mark Limit, beyond which no intelligible information had ever been gathered.

The probe, still visible through the haze of blue energy, winked out suddenly. Tapping the control crystal in confusion, Egronimus halted his vocoder, and moved about a bit, trying to get a visual on the probe. His fellow mages, some of whom were distracted by their own experimental readings from earlier, suddenly took note of what was going on.

Sweat dripped off of Bennagun's forehead onto his parchment. He needed to relax. To think clearly. He'd seen it all himself. Now he just needed to send the report to his superiors at the Omnichronicle. That's all. Simple.

Without warning, several of the animated objects shot out of the Corona at high speed, enveloped in coruscating blue energy. Two of the other mages were hit by objects, and their latent defense fields flared before bursting. One mage, an elven wizard, had his arm blown off by the horse figurine; the other died instantly after the scissors were driven right through his skull. Both apparently had contingencies, for their forms winked out momentarily, but returned to the spot without moving. The elven wizard's arm had begun to grow back, seemingly according to plan.

[This chronicler reports that his omni-vision device failed at this point. Subsequent divination showed nothing wrong with the device, but an unusual, residual transmutation aura that shouldn't have been there.]

Egronimus died
    , Bennagun wrote. Just died. His control crystal sprouted an arm out of nowhere, grabbed the necropolitan by the head, and squeezed. He could still hear the sounds of the necropolitan screaming out arcane phrases as his skull collapsed.... Focus, he thought. The elven man's new arm also began to attack him. Egronimus' body stood up and murdered two of the other mages, who floundered helplessly amidst the deep snow.

It seems some widespread anti-magic effect had proliferated, as no contingencies, defences, or items were triggered by the assault. Less than a minute after things had started going wrong, all of the mages were dead.

Whew, he thought. He rubbed his sweaty palms together in the evening chill, and turned up the setting on his heatlight. Now bathed in warming, golden light, the gnome took a deep, shuddering breath. All that remained was to send the report, a mere moment's effort to insert the parchments into the copy-case, and intone the recipient for the mist-messenger. Bennagun got up from his desk and set about the task, optimistically looking forward, all this mess behind him.

The quill left on the desk jiggled. Bennagun never noticed the sudden blue glow behind him....

Spoiler: Welcome!
    Show
    Welcome to Skeins of Pentrachia, a magitech campaign beginning 10/2013, in the vein of Tippy's marvelous creation, the Tippyverse. To the players, welcome to our mutual story; hang onto your pants. To readers, I hope things will be entertaining.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-10-10 at 06:23 PM.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Skeins of Pentrachia [3.5 Magitech]

(Reserved for List of Characters and other convenient reference)

OOC Thread Recruitment Thread

PLAYERS AND THEIR CHARACTERS:
    {table=head]Player|Character|Race|Class|Alignment|Power|
    alanek2002|Torcival|Primordial Half-giant|Elementalist|N-C Good|?
    AngryCyc|Tomas Gleets|Halfling|Rogue/Thief Acrobat|CG|?
    Jotunn|?|Human|Archivist?|?|?
    LordChaos13|?|?|Psion? Erudite?|?|?
    ShadowFireLance|?|?|Biogenetor?|?|?
    RFLS|Rita Hemsworth|Human|Magitech Templar/Artificer|CG|?
    Waxillium Lande|Wayne Albsky|Human|Spellthief/Daggerspell Mage|CG|?
    Erik Vale| Delayed Entry|?|?|?|?
    [/table]
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-10-11 at 11:37 AM.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

(Final Notes and Such)

Extended Sigbox

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

For Tomas:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A spring sun rises up over Amio Hot Springs. The typical fog will take some time to bake off, as the sun's strength has still not returned after the long winter. Around the more tepid areas of the spring, small animals have gathered, seeking the mineral nutrients of the spring water and the warming air. A particularly cute (even delicious-looking) brace of grey rabbits are perched on the edge of the water.

The days since the frost broke have been invigorating and quiet, if rather rain-filled. But the warm weather presages the return of the lizardfolk raids on Tomwoelo, and the renewal of the heightened security measures of the town. The winter weather was sufficiently bad to make raids much less likely (particularly from the cold-blooded lizardfolk), but that happy coincidence is more than over.

Parceny has been absent more than normal. Ever a reflection of the energies about her, the winter had her strangely quiet; this was new to Thomas, who had met her in her flurry of autumnal activity. Fond images of her dressed in bright hues of burnt orange and rust red come to mind. She had danced among the falling leaves, chased squirrels, and generally flitted about in a maddening fashion. All with just the *right* degree of bounce; her five feet, clad in tight, patchwork leathers and face paint, all curves and fluid, circular movement. A sight to behold.

And now, after her subdued grays and riddles of the silent snow, spring was here. How would she look now? It had been almost a fortnight since he'd last spotted her, and the rains had melted away the last remnants of snow since.

The rabbits stare back in Thomas direction, not quite seeing him through the misty air above the springs. Maybe today Parceny would turn up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Welcome, AngryCyc. The world is your oyster! Or rather, Thomas'. It's a morning of the late Third Moon. Fine weather. You are in the area around your lair, surrounded by the wilds, but not a day's walk from Tomwoelo.

Have at thee!

For Torcival:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The sounds of spellbattle echo across the alley. The whizz of rapid missile fire pierces the smokey air about Torcival, as his fellow elementalists unleash a barrage of spells at the enemy defenders. A sudden impact nearby throws Torcival back, and he bounces off the building to the right before landing sprawled on his back.

The smoke clears. His allies have fallen. And a man, green hair and large ears, approaches, staring right at Torcival....

With a start, Torcival wakes from his sleep. Alone in his bunker. Safe.

It's midway between midnight and sunrise. The coming morning should be a fine spring day. Right now, though, the night is still cold, echoes of the recently departed winter still reaching Torcival in his hideout.

Recently, the monster hunting had gone well. A den of displacer beasts left the elementalist with some valuable hides (if rather singed). But they would soon spoil, even in his naturally-cooled root cellar. Especially now that the warming spring sun was about.

Spoiler
    Show
    Welcome. Sandbox beginning. The dream may or may not be a common occurrence, a reminder of his wartime roots. This dream stood out because of the detail, though, particularly of that one man with the green hair. Torcival doesn't remember such a man, but the feeling from the dream was decidedly ominous.

Good luck and good hunting.

Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-10-11 at 11:37 AM.

Extended Sigbox

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Tomas

Tomas embraces the morning air, and locks up his home for the day so that he might spend his time in the newly-warmed surroundings. He hoped to see sign of Parceny, but it was also a wise choice to keep a close tab on his little piece of the world as well.

He grabbed his supplies for a day of exploring, and set off, slowly climbing up one side of the great mountain dominating the landscape. Some altitude would give him a better view, afterall, and he was more than stealthy enough to avoid being noticed by the monster at the top.

He climbs quite leisurely, stopping often to take in the air, and gazing intently across the area, seeing if winter had caused any serious changes; fallen trees, rock slides, other less-natural things...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

For Tomas:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As Tomas ascended the lone mountain--it really wasn't much as mountains go, but contrasted with the generally flat surroundings--the terrain was, as usual, mainly marked by the activity of the geriviar. Large boulders and shattered rocks, the color of the dark, igneous rock of the mount, lay here and there, at the end of gouge marks from where they'd come crashing down the slopes.

Likewise, the treeline on the mountain, termed Alago Rock, was unnaturally low.

The area surrounding the mountain was surging ahead into springtime. In the grassy, open areas at the base of the mount, the first hints of wildflowers and green grass were cropping up. The sound of newly returned birds had begun, and Tomas even spotted a few deer.

Spoiler
    Show
    Make a Spot check and a Listen check.

After the morning sun burned away the fog, he could even make out parts of Amio Hot Springs, though large parts of that area were cloaked in juniper trees. Telltale steam rose out of certain gaps in the forest, though, and Tomas imagined that he could make out the steam rising above his own abode.

Nearing the area where he probably should start with stealth precautions, Tomas could make out a new sight on a bare ridge opposite his current location. It appeared that a series of stones had been erected in some kind of formation. This seemed unusual, as the geriviar seemed to be strictly in the business of breaking things, in Tomas' experience.

It would take some time to reach said ridge, as it would involve either reaching the summit and backtracking, or backtracking to the base, circling around a good distance, and then climbing back up (and that ridge looked a less welcoming climb to the halfling). Still, he could probably make it there and back home before nightfall. Assuming things went smoothly, of course.

For Rita:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was getting late. The work on this spare sentry for the defense grid would have to wait. Too bad the homunculus was busy with yet another "priority" project on behalf of the Unscriveners; they paid top coin, but seemed to go through potions like they were going out of style. If it weren't for the fact that the rent was free and she could get access to city-tech (and all manner of scrap) through their guild, they'd be really irritating.

The night air was chilly; the last vestige of the winter past. Winter wasn't really a thing in the cities anymore. While interior environmental controls were common in Megaraesa, they still hadn't implemented any kind of widespread weather control.

Megaraesa itself was kind of dull. Between the banners and signs along the street promoting civic pride and service to Enclarion, and the fact that most of the population was under twenty years of age (or the non-human equivalent) and very smart by civilian standards, it was a strange atmosphere. Most of the population spent 90% of their time in seminars and classes funded by the guild, learning all manner of things. As long as those things suited the guild's purposes; patriotic brainwashing and civic pride stuff was hidden everywhere, often without too much trying on the part of whoever was cooking up these curricula.

But at least Rita's past was no longer haunting her. No one had caught on to the warehouse fire. That building was old, anyway, and a spate of condemnations and new construction followed swiftly thereafter. Now most of the town of Megaraesa sparkled in the sunlight, all elegant glassteel and hardened stone.

She could sleep soundly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Welcome to the campaign. Sandbox beginning, as you can see.

Aside from teaching, most of Rita's time is spent working is spent doing jobs for the guild; they are really the only customer in town, as everything is provided to the residents for free (and thus no one else uses money except for the guild, largely only to compensate instructors and hired security). She normally has had some time to dabble, but this winter, they suddenly found lots of highly profitable work for her to be doing.

Good luck.

Extended Sigbox

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+14)[22]
    Listen (1d20+16)[30]

Tomas trusts to his skills in remaining unnoticed, and decides to head up over the summit to make his way to the strange stone structure he sees.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Torcival

Toricval Stretches, and gets out of bed. He is still fully armored (as you can be with light armor), as one of the hides came from a displacer that teleported in by accident, luckily while he was awake.
    His dream was... odd. It had all the usual fun explosions, but he generally doesn't get hurt in them.
    He shrugs, and moves the hides into his haversack, then sits down to read till the sun rises. He'll think about it later.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

For Wayne:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Empty taverns are depressing. That's a fact. On the other hand, it was easy for Wayne to get service whenever he went into the Quanta Biologi, Megaraesa's only pub.

Megaraesa had seemed like an ideal place to settle. Not too far from a city, but remote enough to give a sense of security. Engineered by the Unscriveners, the town was "sanctioned" by the powers of Enclarion, and therefor unlikely to be scrutinized by powerful casters outside the membership of the Unscriveners.

Plus, it was a town full of young, beautiful people, newly formed in the vision of the guild, who were handing out reconstructive surgery to correct the scars of the residents' varied backgrounds. Yet, the residents were not yet of the same mind as the spellcasters; their training was still ongoing, and the promise of youth and the optimism of the naive was palpable. Not that all of the residents were young; just most of them.

Yes, it had seemed a promising place to hang out for a while.

But the last few weeks had been trying. The Unscriveners had been running the "guests" out of town, one by one. Previously, they had deemed socialization an appropriate part of the education of the residents, and so had accommodated visitors, even long-term ones. Termed guests, these were those that hadn't been scouted as untrained talent and who hadn't been imported to either teach, provide service, or provide security.

The reason for the new policy wasn't clear, and Wayne suspected most of the residents weren't much aware it was even going on. But, one by one, guests were suddenly not around. The tavern (only open to guests and staff; residents aren't allowed to drink and have a curfew) was more empty every night.

Wayne was going to have to find a way to avoid the attention of the Unscriveners, one way or another.

Spoiler
    Show
    Welcome to the campaign. Sandbox beginning in Megaraesa. Wayne has been in town long enough to know what is publicly known. Feel free to ask questions about what he knows through the use of Knowledge(local), and he knows enough people to speed the use of Gather Info.

Good luck.

For Torcival:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The morning eventually comes. The weather is bright and beautiful, and the walk to Alkhan should be enjoyable. With five hides to sell (despite somewhat questionable quality on a couple of them), he should be able to get a decent amount of coin at the black market. Over time, he'd developed a nice relationship with Ruek, an enthusiastic Athasian elf merchant who dealt in exotic goods.

And the walk to Alkhan wasn't a particularly safe one, either. There was always that.

For Tomas:
    Spoiler
    Show
    While Tomas is looking around, he hears the sound of bellowing coming from the mountaintop. From experience, it would seem to be the sound of the geriviar. Though it seems to be making quite a bit of noise, not quite intelligible, but not sounding quite angry. More...distressed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Go ahead and make Hide and Move Silently checks.

As Tomas nears the summit, large stone plinths obscure his line of sight. The geriviar seems to be engaged in some dispute with a much more soft-spoken, unseen individual. The geriviar is mostly bemoaning something or other.

Spoiler
    Show
    Give me another set of Spot/Listen, and an Int and Wisdom check to see if Tomas can make heads or tales of the conversation, as he's missed parts of it, and can hear the geriviar long before the assumed second party (which is rather confusing).

If you can think of a more appropriate skill, go ahead and roll it. I'll just ad-hoc it off the ability checks. Feel free to take 10 on any of this, I guess. Unless he totally flubs the stealth checks, there shouldn't be much pressure.

Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-10-11 at 08:51 PM.

Extended Sigbox

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Tomas

Tomas sneaks up and tries to figure out what's going on...

Spoiler
    Show

Hide (1d20+18)[33]
    Move silently (1d20+16)[31]

Spot (1d20+14)[18]
    Listen (1d20+16)[34]

Wisdom (1d20+4)[6]
    Intelligence (1d20+3)[11]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Rita:

Rita reluctantly trails home, thoughts of the defense drone still whirring through her head. Tonight is one of the rare nights she's actually gone back to her small flat; many nights simply find her asleep in the midst of whatever her current project is, or not sleeping at all. She makes a mental note to herself - work on a way to sleep less.

Finally, she shelves thoughts of the drone for the night, trading them for thoughts on how to improve her suit. It's never done, and always wants more abilities, more work put into it....

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Torcival
    As Torcival leaves, he pauses for a moment to enjoy the brilliant morning, happy that winter is over.
    A few hours after he starts walking, he begins to whistle a Jaunty tune loudly, certain to alert any nearby monsters, hoping for entertainment, or at least a reason to make something explode.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

For Tomas:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The massive, black stone plinths dot the broad, flat area that marks the summit of Aligo Rock. Carefully making his way between them, Tomas finds himself in what seems to be a kind of open-air dwelling, complete with some huge stone furnishings.

As he approaches, the massive bulk of the geriviar comes into view. Tomas had only ever seen the giant from a great distance, usually while the giant was hurling something or other down the mountainside. But, up close, the massive, purple-grey creature was stupidly large. From the look of it, all of the halfling would fit comfortably inside one of its massive hands.

The most interesting thing going on, though, was not the geriviar or his size; it was the conversation. Although the initial bits escaped him, Tomas got the impression that the geriviar was complaining or something. As he got closer, though, and a second, much smaller-sounding voice became apparent, it seemed that the mighty geriviar was pleading. And once the thing was in view, Tomas saw that it was sprawled out along a couch-like slab of stone, almost cowering back from the other speaker, who was still blocked by Tomas angle of approach (and some massive furniture).

Unknown Speaker
    "Why was it not completed to my specification?"
    says a cold, almost mechanical voice, with a slight hint of sibilance.

Geriviar
    "Look, I live up here. There isn't room for a stone circle on the summit,"
    it (or, apparently, he) says, searching for an excuse.

Unknown Speaker
    "Maybe I didn't make myself clear,"
    the cold voice warns. "I appreciate your claim to this land; you won it by rite. But circumstances necessitate that a stone circle be built here. One thing is necessary, the other is not."

Geriviar
    "Hey, I can fix it. Just give me a bit of time, I'll fix it and leave. You can have your crummy circle,"
    he replies, practically begging in his deep, sonorous bass (a very strange contrast to Tomas' keen ears).

Unknown Speaker
    "You know the price of disobedience. The delay will cost me, so I must pass along the increase,"
    the voice says, seemingly moving toward the geriviar.

Just about now, the unknown speaker moves into sight. Tomas beholds a lanky, human-sized thing, apparently coated head-to-toe in form-fitting metallic plates of some kind. The armour, for that is what it appears to be, is made of elaborate, overlapping metal slats, seemingly colored a matte black, with shiny silver highlights along the edges of the plates. It, whatever it was, must be very skinny, for its arms and legs were long and slender, its gauntlets tipped with claws, and its full helmet covering every inch of the head in a pointy, stylized helm. A short half-cloak hung from it's shoulders, black upon the black of the armour.

A simple gesture, and an invisible force moves through the air before the figure, the air audibly parting around it. In a split second, the plane of force arcs through the air and cleaves one of the geriviar's four arms from his body.

The giant howls in pain, but quickly stifles himself, grabbing the bleeding stump with one hand, while struggling to backpedal away from the armoured figure.

Armoured Figure
    "I think three arms should be sufficient for you to finish the job,"
    it remarks, its voice dripping with cruelty. "See to it that all is finished by tomorrow."

The mysterious figure turns and walks away swiftly, its cloak furling in the warm spring breeze.

For Rita:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The night is unremarkable, but the sleep is exquisite.

Waking refreshed, the next day is a day with several scheduled periods of mentoring. Emil, Rita's main student, was quite skilled mechanically, seemingly with a knack for dismantling and assembling things. So much so that he learned pretty much just from observing Rita, requiring minimal instruction.

There was plenty of time before she'd be needing to get to the shop, though; mentoring Emil didn't start until a couple hours before noon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry if I gave the impression that she had to leave the shop. I was more just describing the town beyond her personal demesne; in retrospect, it really did sound like she was outside. But it all seems to have gone well.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-10-11 at 10:18 PM.

Extended Sigbox

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

For Torcival:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sadly, the trip to Alkhan is peaceful and tranquil. Aside from some squirrels and rabbits that look glad for the warm weather, there isn't much of note on the way.

Upon reaching Alkhan, Torcival speaks the weekly password to the guardian at the Four Hemlocks Trading Post (the cover for the entrance to Alkhan). The guardian, a magically reduced stone giant woman named Formacia, is familiar with Torcival by this time, and it's all more or less a formality, but one she takes seriously.

Once past the guardian, a spiral staircase cut into the limestone leads down, down into the earth. After about a five minute decent, the stairway opens up on a large, oval-shaped cavern. Homes are carved into the walls of the cavern, while the central area is reserved for public gatherings and the marketplace. The whole place is lit by magical lighting and bioluminescent lichen and moss, giving a warm, orange glow to the place.

Being a haven for the criminal, the outcast, and the misfit, all manner of people can be found in Alkhan. Generally, only the richest people can afford the carved out stone homes. For the rest, however, there are a series of hostels and boarding houses that operate at less than cost, a service subsidized by the largesse of Bernadette, the ex-paladin who founded the town. Her fortune as an adventurer and well-placed daughter of a noble family in Enclarion persists to this day, though rumours say that the funds are starting to dry up.

Bernadette herself supposedly lives a reclusive life in a large house built into a stalagmite in the northeast corner of the cavern. She'd be fairly old at this point; already a veteran human ex-paladin when she founded the place, three decades had since passed.

Ruek, an eight foot tall elf from some foreign desert land or other (Athas?), is where he is usually found, in a lean-to made of slender bone supports and some kind of hide tarpaulin as a roof at the back of the market area. His small stall smells of acacia and sandalwood, heavy scents meant to mask the sometimes smelly products in which Ruek deals. Bleached monster skulls, dragon bone weapons, and sealed vials of all manner of liquids hang suspended from the struts holding up the tarpaulin.

As Torcival approaches, he is sitting cross-legged, deftly sewing together some furs into what appear to be rabbit-lined slippers. He looks up and smiles.

Ruek
    "Torcival. Well met,"
    he says, rising smoothly to his feet, crouching slightly to avoid bumping into his hanging merchandise. "I trust you've been well since we last met. Let me say, those ogre teeth made a fine set of dice. I hope to combine them with some other bone game pieces to fashion a bakari set." He pauses with a wink. "But enough about that. Have you come on business, or just to say hi?"

Extended Sigbox

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Tomas

Tomas keeps his eye on the figure, and even follows him just long enough to see where he goes off too.

Then he heads back to keep watching the giant creature do whatever it decides to do. He sticks to hiding, but spends a good hour or two observing as much as he can so as to better understand what is going on, all thoughts of his previous goals wiped away but this new circumstance he finds himself in.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

For Tomas:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, here's some Spot/Listen on behalf of the Armoured Figure, to keep me honest...
    Spot- +30= (1d20+30)[32]
    Listen- +30= (1d20+30)[32]

I'll give you new stealth rolls to go with it, or you may keep the rolls you already had. Either way, Tomas rode the luck train and did pretty damn well.

Also, some new Spot and Listen, please.

Tomas follows the mysterious Armoured Figure for some way, down toward the stone circle Tomas was headed to investigate. The creature, whatever it is, moves smoothly and fluidly in full plate, barely making a creak amid the springtime birdsong. Tomas' keen ears can even make out the pained sounds of its breathing, along with another sound coming from the armour, some kind of mechanical whirr, very high pitched (almost inaudible).

The creature stops abruptly. It appears to scan the area ahead. Suddenly, a big, oozelike creature appears before it, seemingly formed out of bloody, disembodied bird wings.

Armoured Figure
    "Watch the scene,"
    the figure commands. "There are several insects in play; make sure that damn harlequin keeps well clear of this. Contact me if anyone other than the big oaf comes to the mountaintop."

The ooze trembles in some kind of response, before rising up into the air and vanishing.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-10-12 at 06:43 PM.

Extended Sigbox

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Torcival

Torcival smiles sheepishly. "Its nice to see you again Ruek, but its Business, this time. Got some fresh Displacer hide, Though it is a little... singed in places." He says, while pulling out the hides.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Lets keep the stealth rolls and I'll hope the distance is big enough to cancel out that extra 2 he beat me by.

Spot (1d20+14)[21]
    Listen (1d20+16)[32]

Tomas tries really hard.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

For Torcival:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ruek
    "Hmm, actually, displacer beast hide is quite nice to work with. I imagine a little magical mending can polish off the singe marks. Shouldn't be a problem,"
    he says, handling the rather messy hides with no sign of discomfort. "Well, luckily that smell comes out, too. Let's see. I can make some useful shoe leather with this. And, of course, the dorsal areas are good for pauldrons...." The tall elf thinks to himself for a moment."I can give you 1000 for the hides, in small gems, of course."

For Tomas:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Armoured Figure looks about for a moment, turning in place. Tilting its head skyward, it seems to sniff the air. Then, with a mechanical laugh, it turns back toward the stone circle.

In three paces, it fades into nothingness.

Extended Sigbox

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Torcival
    "1000 is good, since they're singed. Hear any good rumors recently?" Torcival says, leaning against the counter.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

For Torcival:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ruek
    The elf smiles, his tattooed bronze skin and white teeth contrasting. "Rumours, eh? Looking for some action so soon after the snow's departure?" He puts down the displacer beast hides, wiping his hands on a damp cloth near his workpiece. He goes and withdraws a silk purse from beneath the skull of a giant lizard.

"Hmm," he thinks, as he begins counting small gems. "If memory serves, the latest scuttlebutt involves an emissary from Saimrhaeus. He was apparently mugged while on the way to the ruins of Rekjeraa. Or so they say. The news comes by way of Megaraesa; apparently, the guild running things there has taken to booting out the non-believers, or some such. Several of those displaced wound up here and are spreading the gossip around."

"The other whispers were vague. But I've heard two tales about some kind of blue-eyed zombie creatures roaming the woods. Several hunters have told the tale over the past winter, but largely been met with rolled eyes and advice to drink less."

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming Torcival agrees to the terms, he receives 20 gems, each valued 50gp, in exchange for the hides. He would not be amiss in thinking that his friendship with Ruek probably aids his bargaining position.

Extended Sigbox

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't... ummm..... I have no idea.

He goes back towards the summit and stays a way out of range to keep a distant eye on whatever it is the monster needs to complete.

He finds himself quite perplexed.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

For Tomas:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The geriviar is grumbling loudly by the time Tomas returns. He seems to have somehow stopped the bleeding, and is mainly relying on some magical abilities to help him re-purpose some of the large stone slabs that make up his dwelling.

The labor continues on into the midday, and eventually it's more or less down to manual work. The noon sun approaches, and the black, igneous rock of the mount begins to bake nicely, but the geriviar pays it little heed. With only three of its four arms, the geriviar is having some trouble; while the grumbling has mostly subsided into unintelligible complaints about being bossed around, the geriviar is very, very strong, and lifts and shifts stones that Tomas thought were part of the mountain.

The whole effort seems to be to make a circle of standing stones, much like the one on that ridge that Tomas spotted earlier (and toward which the armoured figure had been walking when it disappeared). The geriviar completes an astounding amount of work for one so injured.

But it's just after noon when the creature collapses motionless after shifting a particularly large stone into an upright position.

Extended Sigbox

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Torcival

"Hrm.. Muggers/bandits Near Rekjerra? Sounds interesting." Torcival says, standing up. "I'll be back! eventually... Take care of yourself, Ruek." Torcival then leaves the shop, intent on leaving town, finding the bandits... and causing explosions!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

For Torcival:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ruek
    "Good fortune and safe trails wherever you end up, Torcival,"
    the elf says, bowing his head, his short grey dreadlocks falling forward as he does.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rekjeraa, near where the attack took place, is located a week's journey from Megaraesa. Unfortunately, Megaraesa is located quite far from Torcival. I'm unclear on his long-distance movement capabilities, but it's probably around a thousand miles away (Rekjeraa was located in the central part of the continent).

There are solutions to the transport problem for sale, and he obviously just got some money. But it's probably too far to just walk it. We can discuss items for sale OOC.

Extended Sigbox

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Rita:

Rita returns to her shop the next morning, rested and ready to go once more. It was good to recharge like that, she though. Nothing like a good night's rest...

As she enters the shop, her suit greets her with rapid-fire questions.

"How was your rest? Did you have enough? What upgrades are we making today?"

Rita sighs as she sits at her bench. The suit could be like a child sometimes....

"It was good. We're going to have to keep working on the drone today, though. It's not quite done."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Tomas

Tomas had observed enough. He wanted some outside opinion. He slowly starts sneaking his way down the mountain, his desire to find Parceny now doubled.

He hopes maybe her connection to nature might help him. He calls out to the little animals he finds along the way, "Parceny? Have you seen her? Where is she??"

He is unsurprised when they do not respond.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

For Rita:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The sun shines through the shop windows, and the air is warm, moist from the rains of last week. The energy of the season speaks of the return of life to the land.

An interesting backdrop to the creation of a programmed intelligence.

The sentry drone was an interesting piece of city tech. A series of self-resetting magical traps are controlled by a construct mind that is telepathically linked to the other sentry drones. With a good network, the drones obviate the need for guard patrols, and provide a more reliable basis for security measures.

The various magical traps can be mentally triggered by the construct mind, and allow it to use various divinations to scan it's surroundings, detect certain features of passersby, and, with a future upgrade, to summon a golem or other combat-capable construct or individual to the drone's position. For now, they were mainly mechanical eyes to keep the town safe.

The hours pass quickly, and Rita is just about ready to complete the final linkage with the inactive construct mind. This would allow the whole thing to be brought online in one quick sequence, in the event that this extra drone should be needed.

A young male human in his mid-teens enters the shop. He has a large cowlick in his slick brown hair, a stocky build, bright green eyes, and is dressed in a simple grey pants and button-up shirt (the unofficial uniform worn by many of the residents as they go about learning, as they all purchase clothes from the same shop run by the guild). Emil is an eager student, and will no doubt be interested in anything his mentor chooses to show him.

Emil
    "Good morning, Ma'am."
    He places an orange on the workbench next to Rita.

Extended Sigbox

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

He makes his way back towards the springs, hoping she may also be looking for him.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

For Tomas:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Upon reaching the springs, a small rabbit approaches Tomas. It has a token attached to its back, the kind that are commonly used as single-use magic items, with the tragicomedy masque that Parceny uses to mark things.

Spoiler: Assuming Tomas Activates the Item
    Show
    An illusory image of a tragicomedy masque appears in the air, and begins to speak in Parceny's voice.

Tragicomedy Masque
    "Hello Tomas. I seem to have missed you, but I expect you have just gone wandering about somewhere. Listen, something important has come up, and I think we may find ourselves in a bit of trouble. Please come find me at that place with the glowing moss that I like. You know the spot. I know you don't often keep company, but please come alone and don't tell anyone. I'll be awaiting your arrival.

Extended Sigbox