New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

View Poll Results: Will you vote on this poll?

Voters
337. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

110 32.64%
  • No

79 23.44%
  • Maybe

61 18.10%
  • What's a poll?

87 25.82%
Page 46 of 101 FirstFirst ... 213637383940414243444546474849505152535455567196 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 3016
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Forum Staff's Random Banter of Oh My Gosh You Guys Really Talked for 200 Threads?

So today I found the most stereotypically Russian news story of all time. I have been chuckling all day.

In other news, translating Latin is demanding work.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Forum Staff's Random Banter of Oh My Gosh You Guys Really Talked for 200 Threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    So today I found the most stereotypically Russian news story of all time. I have been chuckling all day.
    ...That must have been painful.

3. - Top - End - #1353

I'm also amused that locals "won't be hunting the bear down because they believe it was only playing with" the eighty-year-old man in question. And that the Related News section is all about bears and Russians being badass.
    So many bear stories.

I know.
    I might have mentioned this already to you, but maybe not.
    Have you ever heard of Hans H. Orberg?
    He was a Danish linguist who decided that the best way to learn Latin was graduated immersion.
    So he wrote books - semi-story, semi-textbook - entirely in Latin. Publication information, glosses, grammatical notes, exercises, story, everything except the blurb on the back is in Latin.
    The book series is called Lingva Latina per se illvstrata. I'm currently in Pars I Familia Romana and it's really good. A little shocking though when the first 'play' section involves the father beating his youngest son for bullying his sister. And when I say beating I mean the word is glossed as 'beat'/'strike' and with illustrations. Still fun.
    It quite literally starts from the basics and allow you to use your intuition and inbuilt sense of grammar (so assuming you're from a romantic influenced language) to work your way through it. By the time you finish the first part you're meant to be able to read the usual classics - Livy, the Aeneid, bit of Caesar, that kind of thing.
    I know you're way past that level, but I thought you'd find it interesting anyway.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello everybody!

How's it going?

Well, nobody bothered to buy candy for the trick-or-treaters, and after a couple knocks (and disappointed kids), I decided to put up a sign at the door that says "We don't have any candy. Sorry"
    It seems to put the knocks to a stop.

So, what are you guys up to?

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeburn View Post
    Hello everybody!

How's it going?

Well, nobody bothered to buy candy for the trick-or-treaters, and after a couple knocks (and disappointed kids), I decided to put up a sign at the door that says "We don't have any candy. Sorry"
    It seems to put the knocks to a stop.

So, what are you guys up to?
    Sadly not much Drakeburn. I'm at home watching the place and the dogs while my grandma is spending the night helping a friend in the city. We didn't have money to buy candy, and even if we did kids never come up this road, not as long as I have lived here. So just chilling, working out PbP stuff and waiting for my girlfriend to call me. Sad, because this is my favorite holiday of the year and I don't have a thing planned for it.

How might it be possible to throw a Random Banter costume party? Last minute I know but it's an idea at least. Anyone?
    Spoiler: Sigs about the Internet and Life
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacior
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

Awesome Holy Knight Haluesen avatar done by the uber skilled Grinner!

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Colossus in the Playground

Also not giving candy, since Mom needs her sleep so we can't have constant visitations.

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Bugbear in the Playground

I wanted to put on a bathrobe and wander around with a mug of tea and say "This must be Thursday. I could never get the hang of Thursdays." But all the kids are going up to the door and their parents are waiting at the sidewalk and the parents would be the ones to get it. And if I drink more tea today I will be even more shaking. I cannot thread a needle right now. So Mr. Mud must pour his own tea.
    I have found a RL gaming group but I'm willing to meet other GitP people nearby.
    Please send a PM or an email! _______ Tea served in a student cafe in Seattle

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Klanos View Post
    Vriska's typing quirk. 100k it up.
    Yeah, that's really annoying. I'd stop that. Quickly.
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Yeah, that's really annoying. I'd stop that. Quickly.
    At least it isn't Tezeri's. Or Terezi. I can never keep her name straight.

10. - Top - End - #1360

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    Hey Crunk, if you're around I thought you might like to know that PTX volume 2 is up on soundcloud and available through Billboard here. Best part is, it's totally legal - or I assume it is, since Pentatonix shared the link via their Facebook page.

(Oh, other folks should check that out, too. I'm just mentioning Crunk because he showed interest in Pentatonix earlier)
    Curse your stripes! Now I have to wait for this album to finish!

"Flash is fast, Flash is cool. Francois c'est pas, flashe non due."

Seventh Doctor avatar by the too-nice-for-his-own-good Professor Gnoll!

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Ogre in the Playground

I think "Russian Couple Call for Backup as Bear Breaks In, Eats Borscht" might beat it.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    At least it isn't Tezeri's. Or Terezi. I can never keep her name straight.
    Terezi. A quick sample of her typing quirk: TH1S 1S 4 S4MPL3. One of the more annoying to read, to be sure.
    A cynical newbie who probably shouldn't run his mouth like he does. INTJ
    READ THIS: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6

Avatar by The Great And Mighty Trixie Cuthalion!
    Shameless dragon promotion

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taet View Post
    I wanted to put on a bathrobe and wander around with a mug of tea and say "This must be Thursday. I could never get the hang of Thursdays." But all the kids are going up to the door and their parents are waiting at the sidewalk and the parents would be the ones to get it. And if I drink more tea today I will be even more shaking. I cannot thread a needle right now. So Mr. Mud must pour his own tea.
    Bravo for your Hitchhiker's reference. Unfortunately, the Dolphins and the Mice probably got there way ahead a' you.
    A cynical newbie who probably shouldn't run his mouth like he does. INTJ
    READ THIS: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6

Avatar by The Great And Mighty Trixie Cuthalion!
    Shameless dragon promotion

14. - Top - End - #1364

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    The secret origin of Borscht. Bear bait so that one can eat the bear instead.

Brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

15. - Top - End - #1365

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    Curse your stripes! Now I have to wait for this album to finish!
    I have stripes?
    *looks down*
    Well, will you look at that. When did I go to prison?

Also: You're welcome.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haluesen View Post
    Hmm okay, some solid advice on how I can learn these mighty Finnish words. I shall do my best to speak well. Thank you smart-version Amidus.
    I'd take the actual Finnish person's notes over mine, though, just for reference. I'm by no means proficient with the language - I just know the pronunciation rules.

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    How do I explain how you pronounce ö? Uhhhhhhh.

Fixed that for you.

To be fair, I don't even get why you bother with Finnish, Amipoop.
    Pick an English word that's got the same vowel sound?

Right, right.

Because I want to at least be familiar with a language that doesn't behave like someone on acid designed the pronunciation system. English and French are not such languages.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    You find Finnish 'u's hard? I mean, all vowels have such a thick pronounciation in English which wouldn't carry over, but apart from that...
    Yeah, because I can't figure out exactly what vowel sound to use for it. The way I understand it, it's somewhere between the vowel sounds in (in English terms) "uh" and "ooh", but I just can't quite get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Klanos View Post
    Terezi. A quick sample of her typing quirk: TH1S 1S 4 S4MPL3. One of the more annoying to read, to be sure.
    Come now, |_3375|*34|< can be so much more creative than that.
    A few odds and ends.

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Titan in the Playground

So...

...Just finished Bioshock Infinite.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Good god, that was amazing... though the final battle with the bird thing was annoying as hell -_-
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

18. - Top - End - #1368

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    So...

Spoiler
    Show
    Good god, that was amazing... though the final battle with the bird thing was annoying as hell -_-
    I feel you, man.

Spoiler
    Show
    I swear that that game has made my jaw drop more times than I can count.

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    It is, at least from my point of view. Freshmen are 18-19, sophomores 19-20, juniors 20-21, and seniors 21-22. Now, you can't legally drink until (for most birthday placements) the second half of your junior year, which means that about half of on-campus drinking will be illegal drinking. Likely more than half, actually, since the people who can legally drink are more likely to do it in bars, rather than behind closed doors.
    Yeah, that does make sense (given your silly, silly laws). And I guess those that don't care about it wouldn't be influenced anyway, and those that do care will find ways around it. Like people almost always sometimes do.

Also I'd be willing to bet it doesn't get reinforced all that much anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    WHAT IS DIFFERENCE, BOTH YOU GET CRAMPS AND HAVE TO HOLD YOUR BREATH LOLZOOLYBADUMCH

WELL HOW DO YOU ROMANCE
    It's funny because it's true

I mean *cough*

You know, some of us aren't allergic to sunlight.
    inorite. And it helps that I'm like the whitest person in Africa. I don't tan, I lobster.

I don't even.

I dunno. Uh.

How do I explain how you pronounce ö? Uhhhhhhh.

Confused. I am.
    I know! Just listen to Finnish music! You learn things

Runs in my blood. I'm Finnish after all.

Dunno, move to Finland? I think you'd love it there, lad. Think about all the blonde northern maidens!

Sunburn. This saddens me a lot. *worries*
    Move to Finland! I'll start packing now. Watch out, blonde northern maidens

Eh, it's my own damn fault. I'm okay with it. (Had a blast at the time, too.)

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    I must say, I lack the same definition of fun you have.
    Well, depends what you did to tire you out, I guess Like... swimming. heyyyyoooo

Oh yeah, I've seen something like that. Pretty interesting.

...well. Until Skynet takes over our bodies, at least.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    This is wonderful!
    And it's been confirmed with future Mrs. Wombat - we will be hosting a livestream.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    So...

Spoiler
    Show
    ZOMG! Hoooorraaaay! I freaking loved that game. I can't wait for the DLC to come out.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Troll in the Playground

Pick an English word that's got the same vowel sound?
    Kind of like birthday. Ew-Uuh. Combine those? A little help here, Finn?
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe is does sound that way a little, but I at least understand what you mean. A bit of rest and just peace from a lot of things would be nice.
    It's honestly a bit of a recurring issue in my life, and honestly something which makes me feel a little uncomfortable, because I really don't want to come off as narcicistic (been there, done that and I really don't want to go back), but at the same time, I can't lie about myself. This kind of puts me at a dilemma where I don't quite know how to talk about myself...

Was your trip nice?
    Oh yes, it was! It was incredibly foggy all the way, so you saw practically nothing apart from the bubble of light ahead of you. Magical... :3

Well a lot of the betterness isn't here right now. Finally talking to her for a while only made me feel worse...and I am still exhausted...but they are things to be spoken of later. I don't wish to fill the banterspace with bad vibes. *hugs* I do appreciate the care though. :slightsmile:
    *bearhugs*
    I hope things brighten up for you soon...

That means you're doing something right, then.
    Yeah, you're probably right...

Rest is always good. Hope you can de-stress soon.
    I hope so as well...

Yeah, because I can't figure out exactly what vowel sound to use for it. The way I understand it, it's somewhere between the vowel sounds in (in English terms) "uh" and "ooh", but I just can't quite get it right.
    Hmm, unless you have another pronounciation of "uh" in mind, I think you should look at the other side of the "ooh"...

Hehehe, that's kind of silly...

Not very elegant, though, but I doubt he was out for the looks to start with...

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Yes, but your sound is way too thick. Given, I won't really ask of anyone who grew up with the English language to be able to get rid of that thickness. I know of Brits and Americans who've lived here half their life and still speak with an obvious accent just because they can't get rid of the thickness...
    Last edited by Teddy; 2013-11-01 at 09:23 AM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1374

So I had a throbbing headache that started around nine and didn't go away. I went downstairs about fifteen minutes ago and the dog couldn't stand up for his pills.
    He didn't stand up when I said "Biscuits!"
    He didn't stand up when Little Brother said "Walkies!"
    We took him into the front room to give him some heat and so I could clean up the room for the vet. Bees called Dad; I called Sister so she could come downstairs.
    Then the dog began to poo himself. And he didn't move at all. Or make a sound. Or anything.

Our dog is dying, and he's going to be put down today. End of. Unless the vet pulls some magical miracle out of his or her arse he's going to be put down.

So I'm hiding up here, crying and typing. We knew we were going to have to do it eventually, but even this morning he was so happy and even obnoxious.
    **** i can't deal with this.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

25. - Top - End - #1375

I want to record a video but Windows Movie Maker says the webcam is not connected to the computer.
    The webcam is PART of the computer, how the hell could I possibly have disconnected it?

(Youtube also seems to get nothing from it so I think the problem is in fact with the webcam, but unfortunately that means I have no idea how to fix it short of getting another webcam)

Edit @^: *Hugs*
    Last edited by Thufir; 2013-11-01 at 09:31 AM.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Okay, okay! Hehe, I'm feeling better now
    Yay for feeling better.

Well, I do have the Scotch Blood trait, meaning I can use magical items as if I were Scotch.
    It's.. It's not even how he's similar, he's a clone. A copy. With just short hair. EVEN THE GLASSES ARE SIMILAR. WHAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Move to Finland! I'll start packing now. Watch out, blonde northern maidens

Eh, it's my own damn fault. I'm okay with it. (Had a blast at the time, too.)
    I have some blonde northern maidens that might spark your interest. Should I give you a l---- WAIT NO NEVERMIND. What's up with all of my friends suddenly getting boyfriends?

You need to protect yourself from the sun. *gives a lecture on skin cancer*

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    *thinks*
    Oh. Right. That does apply if you pronounce birthday in that manner. Still nope. It's not sharp in enough. It's just... It's close, but it's just not the same thing. And tbh even when I've tried to use similar ways to explain, people don't get it.

ION: YAY NOVEMBER. One month until it's December.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

27. - Top - End - #1377

He's dead.
    He died in the front room twenty minutes ago.Christ.I'm os glad I said goodbye every night because I couldn't.
    And now he's wrapped in his towel blanekt on his spot in the living room floor and the puppy and cat are so quiet. Damn. He's so slalm and we don't have a car to take him to the vet's for disposal so the vet has to come here and take him away and it's all so horrible.
    Oh God. He's thirteen years old and we didn't expect him to die like this. I just.
    I can't go downstairs any more.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh.

Oh, carp.

I know what that feels like. I was maybe 10 or so when I lost Cleo. Sometimes I still get misty-eyed thinking about her.

*All of the hugs*

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    He's dead.
    He died in the front room twenty minutes ago.Christ.I'm os glad I said goodbye every night because I couldn't.
    And now he's wrapped in his towel blanekt on his spot in the living room floor and the puppy and cat are so quiet. Damn. He's so slalm and we don't have a car to take him to the vet's for disposal so the vet has to come here and take him away and it's all so horrible.
    Oh God. He's thirteen years old and we didn't expect him to die like this. I just.
    I can't go downstairs any more.
    *lots of hugs* I know how you feel. I lost Snowy just under two weeks ago. I still miss her... Losing a pet is a horrible thing to go through...

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Yes, but your sound is way too thick. Given, I won't really ask of anyone who grew up with the English language to be able to get rid of that thickness. I know of Brits and Americans who've lived here half their life and still speak with an obvious accent just because they can't get rid of the thickness...
    Thank you for assuming that I did not grow up with my parents mostly speaking German, and I speaking it a bit for ages. I just can't think of an equivalent that's better.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."