New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default What is wrong with the Half-Elf?

Now, I know that it is the widely-shared opinion on these boards that the half-elf as presented in the PHB is underpowered. It is not the intent of this thread to say that they are not underpowered.

This thread is an inquiry into what specific aspects of the half-elf are held to be underpowered, and why, so that I can have these points in mind when I alter them for my homebrew world.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: What is wrong with the Half-Elf?

Look at it this way.

What do they get?

Compare that to what dwarves, or elves, or humans get.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

So the problem is one of quantity rather (or more) than it is of quality?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

They should get half the advantages of Elves and half the advantages of Humans, but they don't. All they get from their Human side is the freedom to Multi Class, which isn't much.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari View Post
    That is a pretty good way to put it. I like to give them the human skill bonuses +4 at 1st and +1 a level and they seem to be a little more playable.
    Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for
    anything, but you still can't help but smile when
    you see one tumble down the stairs.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

1. No stat modifications. Yeah, you have both a plus and a minus with most, but they are a big step if you have rolled stats and can't do much with where points are.

2. No combat capable special abilities. Weapon proficiencies and selective bonuses to attack and defense don't seem like much, but they never hurt.

3. They just plain aren't as good as either humans or elves at anything besides diplomacy.

4. Why exactly is a rare pairing of different races a standard race anyway? You'd think half elves would be less common as adventurers than goblins or kobolds, if only due to their rarity.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    They should get half the advantages of Elves and half the advantages of Humans, but they don't. All they get from their Human side is the freedom to Multi Class, which isn't much.
    On the topic of Half-Low Light Vision, it's kind of like I can vaguely see in the dark, but I can't.

Concering half a feat, at first level, it's sort of like I receive a feat, but I don't really. For example, if I take Dodge, I get a +1/2 AC bonus when Dodging, but since you tend to round things down in D&D, it comes out to nothing, so you should definitely choose better than dodge.

Wherein lie the statistic bonuses, I'm the only race to get a +1 and -1, and +1 to certain skill checks and saving throws as well.

Of what weapons the half-elf is automatically proficient, I can choose to be proficient with two of the following weapons - longsword, rapier, longbow, and shortbow.
    Shalom

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

They're elves with about half the elves' racial abilities. This means they suck.

amodman: if you take Dodge, you've already gotten "half a feat," no houseruling necessary... that thing's about as useful as Combat Casting.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Okay, I think I know what I'm going to do with them, then. Thank you all.

One more thing: Would you call a human's bonus feat and skill points cultural or mental traits?
    Last edited by Lord Iames Osari; 2007-01-02 at 03:56 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

No. It's a matter of both quantity and quality. They don't have much, and what they have isn't much worth having. Except for that diplomacy bonus, they just don't have much that's a solid advantage.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    No. It's a matter of both quantity and quality. They don't have much, and what they have isn't much worth having. Except for that diplomacy bonus, they just don't have much that's a solid advantage.
    I really don't see how the Diplomacy bonus is an advantage at all. A human could spend that bonus feat on Skill Focus (Diplomacy), get a better bonus, and still have those extra skill points...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

The half-elf is... okay, but they don't get anything particularly individualized about them, but are rather a kludge between the two races, with the social angle thrown in. Humans have a huge advantage with a free feat and bonus skill points, and elves have a ton of special abilities, but, more importantly, a stat bonus.

Stat bonuses are, inherently, a better deal than stat penalites (though not so much that the 1/2 orc is warranted - another topic). Races without stat bonuses at all (Humans, Illurians, Elan, a few others) have good stuff to offset the descrepancy, but 1/2 elves just seem like watered-down elves, without gaining anything (the non-favored class is laughable) from human parentage. Mechanically, there is no reason to play a 1/2 elf unless a specific build requires that you spread your levels around at an odd amount, but you need some sort of elvish heritage.

Mind you, flavor-wise, I like the concept, and have no issue with playing 1/2 elves when mechanics are not the focus.
    "I can't help it if I'm the biggest and the strongest. I don't even excercise." Fezzik, The Princess Bride avvy by Peregrine

13. - Top - End - #13

One more thing: Would you call a human's bonus feat and skill points cultural or mental traits?
    I suppose it depends on your world. In a "Standard" world, humans are the most diverse of all the races, illustrating that they perhaps adapt and learn quicker as a species to new ways of life when compared to the longer lived races, but this is not to say that High Elves do not have different factions and cultures in your own world...
    Shalom

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

RangerGuy

I know that it horribly infringes on the "No 1's 3's or any other odd number!" rule, but changing half elfs to get a +1 to charisma and a simple +1 skills per level plus low-light vision would make them fairly useful.

sure, it'd be a free stat, but doesn't WotC think that charisma is the least important stat anyways (from the dungeon masters guide)?

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Chandler View Post
    (the non-favored class is laughable)
    I take issue with that. It means your favoured class can be a non PHB class. Which is damn handy. But humans get it too, and have that juicy free feat.

But in general, I agree, half elves are just not as good as anything else.
    Don’t date the sane ones, they’ll only make you crazy. Date the really insane ones but never let them know where you live or work.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    I really don't see how the Diplomacy bonus is an advantage at all. A human could spend that bonus feat on Skill Focus (Diplomacy), get a better bonus, and still have those extra skill points...
    Eh, if you're going for diplomancy, you can take skill focus (diplomacy) and the +2, and end up breaking the game a bit sooner. Of course, then the DM either houserules different diplomacy rules, or else he starts sending in only creatures without a language you know.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

17. - Top - End - #17

Well, what if the PC is a half-elf bard that used his first level to learn every language in existence?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Einstrauss View Post
    Well, what if the PC is a half-elf bard that used his first level to learn every language in existence?
    He would be better off as a human, as they get more skillpoints for that. ;) (And at higher levels with scrolls of tongues accessible, he might feel really bad he spent those points on the less common languages)
    Maggots in the Meat: IC thread, OOC thread, dierolls

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zincorium View Post
    1. No stat modifications. Yeah, you have both a plus and a minus with most, but they are a big step if you have rolled stats and can't do much with where points are.
    It's a big help if you're using point-buy too. Switching a 16 to an 18 and a 12 to a 10 puts you way ahead on points.

20. - Top - End - #20

I actually have a human bard that did that. He looked at it and said "Is there any cap for learning languages per level?" "No, I don't think there is." "Oh. Then I know every language."

He likes to use his spells to aid the party rogue in scamming people. His ability to speak every language has been bizarrely useful.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Not that they need to have it to be "fixed", but I been looking at altering them a fair bit because I just didn't like the flavor.

Not immune to sleep; slight save bonus to magical sleep and enchantments spells/effects instead (+1).

heightened senses +1 to thier spot/listen/search checks

+1 dex, -1 con (yes, I know, it's an odd modifier)

low light vision.

Differentiate between half elves raised in human society and those raised in elven society.

Ones raised in Human society should gain more of thier human advantages:
    >either gain a bonus feat at 1st level or gain human bonus skills as a human would; player choice.
    >Favored class: any

ones raised in Elven society should gain more of thier elven heritage
    >gain the same weapon proficiencies as elves.
    >heightened senses: automatic search roll to find secret doors as if they were activly looking for it as elves do, though they are at -1 to the roll since thier senses are slightly less developed.
    >has learned to trance as elves; can choose to do that rather than sleep.
    >Favored class: same as elves (which isn't wizard in my campaign)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Hey! don't leave us in the dark! let us know what are your proposed fixes for Half-elves (and half-orcs, for that matter )
    -

Is it evil, Evil, Evil or EVIL?
    Expanded Alignment Rules (PEACH)

-

Playing a Paladin? Don't fall into the traps of casuistry or excessive rigourism!

Instead of that, read Peregrine's lesson

-

"It's almost like the universe is trying to deliberately force some form of arbitrary equality between those of us who can reshape matter with our thoughts and those who cannot!"

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Jayabalard View Post
    >either gain a bonus feat at 1st level or gain human bonus skills as a human would; player choice.
    This is how my gaming group always plays elves now. And we've actually HAD one or two since instituting the rule. Far from overpowers the race and makes it playable.
    Sweet avatar of Gikalek by KaptainKrutch.

Now running The Goramitar Games
    IC|OOC

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I thing that half-elf and half-orc should be relegated to being templates like the other half-whatevers, it just makes more sense. I would rather play a pure orc or elf rather than a half-human anyway.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Belteshazzar View Post
    I thing that half-elf and half-orc should be relegated to being templates like the other half-whatevers, it just makes more sense. I would rather play a pure orc or elf rather than a half-human anyway.
    Except for crappy Light Sensitivity for orcs... blah.
    "Thrice-cursed spell resistance! It's almost like the universe itself is trying to deliberately force some form of arbitrary equality between those of us who can reshape matter with our thoughts and those who cannot."
    Nope, nothing to see here. Move along, citizen.

Avatar of Ba'el, the half-orc elemental savant, courtesy of Dire Penguin.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcow View Post
    Except for crappy Light Sensitivity for orcs... blah.
    Sunglasses, dear friend. Sunglasses.
    Maggots in the Meat: IC thread, OOC thread, dierolls

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

I give them the human bonus skill points, the elven Listen and Spot bonuses, proficiency in one martial weapon that can be used with weapon finesse, +2 to gather info and survival.

The have the knack for learning that humans have and the heightened elven senses. They also have a natural gift with light weapons form thier elven heritage. Because they are usually outcasts they've learned how to gain information from strangers and to survive alone.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I would drop the Diplomacy and Gather Information Bonuses for either the Human Bonus Feat at Level One or the additional Skill Point.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I've always ran with these versions of half-elf and half-orc. All features are in addition to normal race features unless otherwise noted

Half-Elf
    Versitile: Half-Elves are good at adapting to any situation, even if they have little professional training in. Half-Elves only need to spend 1 skill point to gain a rank in a non-class skill(though they still are subject to the cross-class skill rank cap), and they act as if they had .5 ranks in any skills with which they have no ranks (thus allowed them to use skills that are normall only usable trained even if they are untrained.)

Half-Orc
    +2 Strength, -2 Charisma: Half-Orcs are bigger and stronger then humans, but as they are considered outcasts in both human and orc society they tend to be reserved and socially inept. This replaces a standard Half-Orcs ability modifiers.
    +2 Racial Bonus to Intimidate Checks, A Half-Orc is an imposing sight that can strike fear into even the most battle hardened of folk.

The Half-Elf versitile ability is acually a combination of two feats, neither of which should be allowed in a game if you are using this varient of half-elf(as it's important each race has something unique to them). The ability gives half-elves a reason for existing without really giving them many new bonuses.

While the DMG says that +2 Str -2 Cha is unbalanced, I don't think it makes Half-Orcs any more powerful then dwarves or gray elves(two of the most overpowered races). Besides, a penalty to Int penalizes every class to a degree, and makes many classes very difficult to play (fighter, wizard, rogue, bard, ect) while a penalty to cha just matters to some classes and helps support the social stigma which is central to the half-orc concept. The bonus to intimidate is mainly because I don't belive a half-orc should be any less intimidating then a human(due to the cha penalty).
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Amphimir Míriel View Post
    Hey! don't leave us in the dark! let us know what are your proposed fixes for Half-elves (and half-orcs, for that matter )
    Well, I figured that was more a matter for the Homebrew forum, but what they hey...

I'm going for minimal changes, here, so here goes:

Half-elves gain either a bonus feat at 1st, like humans, or proficiency with longsword, scimitar, and bows, like the elves of my world, depending on which culture they were brought up in. I also increased the Listen, Search, and Spot bonus to +2.

For half-orcs, i just said "no Charisma penalty", looked at what I had done, and called it good.