New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default [D&D 3.5]Cast Spell with lower Caster Level?

Hello again,

my last question here was answered so well, that I will bother you with my next question :).
    The thematic I want to address happens in my current D&D round and concerns me very much.

I will explain it within an example:
    Spell "Temperature Control" from Frostburn contains:
    [...]
    Range: 20ft./level
    Area: 20 cu. ft./level
    Duration: 1 hour/level
    [...]
    You imbue an area with cold or fire energie, reduceing or raising the temperature by one temperature band per five caster levels. [...]

The bands are:
    140F or more
    110F to 140F
    90F to 110F

60F to 90F
    40F to 60F
    40F to 0F
    -20F to 0F
    -50F to -20F
    -50F or less

In this spell, there are many variables such as the range, the area and the Band of Temperature. If the magician enters casterlevel 10 or higher, the text of the spell says, that the controles Temperatureband will be increased by one to two bands.
    But that is not the intention of the magician, which requires only a certain temperature band around him to use his spells effectively (and not kill his group anyway by regulateing the temperature too high or too low :P).
    Now the question: Can a magician of any higher casterlevel degrade his casterlevel to cast a spell, so that the wizard in the example only regulates temperature to only one band down?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5]Cast Spell with lower Caster Level?

You can always cast a spell at any CL down to the minimum required to cast the spell.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yes. You can downgrade your CL for a given casting of the spell as low as you like so long as it doesn't go below the minimum for casting the spell in your class (for most classes that's CL 1 for 0th & 1st, CL 3 for 2nd, CL 5 for 3rd, etc.)
    The Real Alignments Handbook, Save Points & Strife
    4e-Like Passives for 3.5e, Comprehensive Spell Points Tables, Line-of-Sight vs Line-of-Effect
    Rule #1 for conversing with me: As soon as you use all-caps for an entire statement or clause, you lose.
    Rule #2 for conversing with me: RAW-tards and other close-minded folks automatically lose.

If you're complaining about the OP's premise, please... stop, as you're probably not helping.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Does it require always to get the whole caster level down or can i only degrade only 1 or 2 aspects of the spell as i like?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

It's a variable-system. On casting the spell, you set your CL to be anything between the minimum required to cast the spell and your current level (plus bonuses, if any). It uses this number for the entirety of the spell.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Personally, on a spell called "control temperature", I would say you could control the amount the temperature changes, up to what your caster level will allow.
    Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in rotten command here!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Thanks alot :). I also think the original Intension of the Spell was to coltrol the temperature complete ^.^

What I want to know is if i can end this Spell at will - like i enter a town or sowhat - i dont want to transform a whole town in a fridge :P

8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground

It does not say it is dismissable, no. But in the worst-case scenario, you can autosucceed on your check to dispel it, so bring a wand or scroll of dispel magic with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)