New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Disrupting Strike Feat (based on OOTS)

Disrupting Strike

Prerequisites: Fighter 8, Mage Slayer

Once per round you may ready an immediate action to disrupt a spellcaster that you threaten who is casting a spell. Make an attack roll. If you hit they must make a concentration check DC: 10+The level of the spell they are trying to cast+damage dealt or the spell fails.

Normal: You must ready a standard action to interrupt a spellcaster with an attack.

This was based on Roy's illusion where he thinks he defeated Xykon.
    "Of course I'm a self-absorbed egomaniac, who wouldn't be if they were as glorious as I?"

http://gaea-the-legendary-realm.wiki...ror_Fortinbras

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Disrupting Strike Feat (based on OOTS)

Don't say readying. Readying an action always takes a standard action.

For that matter, if you have Mage Slayer this should not really be necessary; OOTS-verse Disrupting Strike is basically Mage Slayer, since it just prevents casters from casting defensively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Instead of readying you should be able to just use an immediate action to do so. This would be a reasonable feat for shutting down casters. Also I don't think it should require Mage Slayer. It seems fine by itself. I'm not sure having 8 levels in fighter should be necessary either. I'd suggest just a straight BAB +8 requirement (although even that seems possibly higher than necessary).

It might be nice to have a followup feat that adds some bonus to the attack roll and damage roll when making such a strike. It would be neat if the more complicated the spell the easier it becomes to attack them. Something like:

Improved Disrupting Strike
    Prerequisites: Disrupting Strike
    Benefit: When you use Disrupting Strike you add to your attack roll the level of the spell being cast.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Actually for an "Improved" version I'd probably go something like:

Improved Disrupting Strike:
    Prerequisite: Disrupting Strike.
    Effect: When you make a Disrupting strike you wrack the target with intense pain. For the next minute the target remains effected by your Disrupting strike whenever they try to cast a spell (Same DC as the original damage dealt + 10 + spell level). Improved Disrupting strike stacks only once with Disrupting Strike. (example: If you already made a disrupting strike against a target, and they try to cast another spell, you may make a disrupting strike against them again. They must pass two checks, one for the Improved Disrupting strike from the previous spell they tried to cast, and one from the current Disrupting Strike. The last Disrupting Strike you make overwrites and resets the duration of Improved Disrupting Strike).
    Currently sick as a dog and unable to focus properly. Will heal soon.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArcturusV View Post
    Actually for an "Improved" version I'd probably go something like:

Improved Disrupting Strike:
    Prerequisite: Disrupting Strike.
    Effect: When you make a Disrupting strike you wrack the target with intense pain. For the next minute the target remains effected by your Disrupting strike whenever they try to cast a spell (Same DC as the original damage dealt + 10 + spell level). Improved Disrupting strike stacks only once with Disrupting Strike. (example: If you already made a disrupting strike against a target, and they try to cast another spell, you may make a disrupting strike against them again. They must pass two checks, one for the Improved Disrupting strike from the previous spell they tried to cast, and one from the current Disrupting Strike. The last Disrupting Strike you make overwrites and resets the duration of Improved Disrupting Strike).
    I like that. That may be a more interesting direction to go in.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

Ok I've changed it to just an immediate. I wanted it to require fighter levels because I'm trying to basically buff the class which many of my players consider underpowered.

I think if I were to make an improved version I like the idea of the effect lasting but not stacking with itself.
    "Of course I'm a self-absorbed egomaniac, who wouldn't be if they were as glorious as I?"

http://gaea-the-legendary-realm.wiki...ror_Fortinbras

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fortinbro View Post
    Ok I've changed it to just an immediate. I wanted it to require fighter levels because I'm trying to basically buff the class which many of my players consider underpowered.

I think if I were to make an improved version I like the idea of the effect lasting but not stacking with itself.
    If you are going to keep fighter levels, then you should probably reduce the total number. There's nothing game breaking about allowing one to take this with 2 or 4 fighter levels.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors