New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: VoP doesn't suck, people are just stupid.

VoNV is fine. VoPe is terrible because it turns you into party nanny and invites all manner of DM-screw. "Did you remember to drink your waterskin through a strainer?"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    VoNV is fine. VoPe is terrible because it turns you into party nanny and invites all manner of DM-screw. "Did you remember to drink your waterskin through a strainer?"
    Wasn't it stipulated that you had to intentionally touch the dead skin instead of doing so due to absentmindedness or trickery?
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryu View Post
    Wasn't it stipulated that you had to intentionally touch the dead skin instead of doing so due to absentmindedness or trickery?
    That's Vow of Purity, while Psyren is talking about Vow of Peace, which has this totally cool passage which is in no way ripe for DM abuse:
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Exalted Deeds, Vow of Peace, p. 48
    If you break your vow as a result of magical compulsion or otherwise unwittingly, you lose the benefit of this feat until you perform a suitable penance and receive an atonement spell. (Characters who have taken a Vow of Peace are known to drink water through a strainer in order to avoid accidentally swallowing, and thereby causing harm to, a small insect.)
    That's right, whenever you harm any creature, even down to the smallest insect, you have to do penance and get an atonement spell. Better watch where you step!
    Last edited by Karnith; 2013-10-23 at 11:43 AM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karnith View Post
    That's Vow of Purity, while Psyren is talking about Vow of Peace, which has this totally cool passage which [Redacted]
    IRL there are religions which practice that.
    Last edited by nedz; 2013-10-23 at 11:41 AM.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Karnith View Post
    That's Vow of Purity, while Psyren is talking about Vow of Peace, which has this totally cool passage which is in no way insane and obnoxious:
    Okay now that is just silly. Although if I were the player I would demand percentile roll to see if I swallowed an insect rather than just assuming it happened and odds are probably deeply in my favor.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

There's also the copy paste of "if you break the vow unintentionally" being very inappropriate for vow of chastity.

Quote Originally Posted by ryu View Post
    Okay now that is just silly. Although if I were the player I would demand percentile roll to see if I swallowed an insect rather than just assuming it happened and odds are probably deeply in my favor.
    I'd would even allow that. Its not covered by RAW, and a DM can hardly fall back on "I'm just fleshing out my world properly" when the trivial detail will negatively impact only your character.
    Last edited by Boci; 2013-10-23 at 11:30 AM.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    There's also the copy paste of "if you break the vow unintentionally" being very inappropriate for vow of chastity.
    In like a "blaming the victim" kind of inappropriate? Because yeesh.

"True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Villainous Monsters, providing a list of worthy opponents for use in any OGL game: monsters with PC levels

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

I really shouldn't have laughed at that. But there is something darkly funny about it.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by visigani View Post
    So you're telling me, with a straight face, that in the EXACT SAME BOOK... AND IN THE VERY NEXT CHAPTER... they "accidentally" provided rules that allow the DM to provide player characters with non-magic, non-priced items?
    I don't see why that's so hard to believe. It's not like there aren't tons of examples of things that WotC didn't think through well. Are you suggesting that things like the tainted sorcerer's ever-increasing taint score (and spellcasting ability modifier), candles of invocation and infinite wish loops, and the horror that is the planar shepherd prestige class were all intentional?

They just tossed that in there "because" and I'm using that as a means to "weasel my way out of" Vow of Poverty" restrictions?

That's your argument?
    Yep. It violates RAI for vow of poverty pretty badly.

Hell, by your RAW-only definition, someone with VoP could freely use any psionic items they want, since those aren't magic items.

I stand by my initial argument. People are just stupid.
    Having to resort to personal attacks and insults is a good sign of someone that's losing an argument.
    If build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Theoboldi View Post

I really shouldn't have laughed at that. But there is something darkly funny about it.
    Unless you have an insane, contrived circumstance, it's rape. It's not funny.
    Last edited by RFLS; 2013-10-23 at 11:34 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Sorry, I've edited my post to (hopefully) better reflect what I wanted to say. I didn't mean that putting a strainer on a waterskin is insane or obnoxious, but that requiring that level of detail as a mechanical part of the game ("So Mr. DM, did I step on a bug during this move action?"), and having it with basically no point but to screw the player, is.
    Last edited by Karnith; 2013-10-23 at 11:45 AM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kevka Palazzo View Post
    In like a "blaming the victim" kind of inappropriate? Because yeesh.
    Yes. It adds weight to the vows requiring careful behavior to avoid accidentally touching dead flesh or ingesting drugs, so whilst I'm not 100% in favour of that clause I can see why its there, but they needed a different wording for vow of chastity (or to remove it entirely), no questions about that.
    Last edited by Boci; 2013-10-23 at 11:57 AM.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RFLS View Post
    I am not laughing about how being raped is a violation of the oath, I am laughing about how this very dark idea came about by terrible wording.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2013-10-23 at 11:41 AM.
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    I don't see why that's so hard to believe. It's not like there aren't tons of examples of things that WotC didn't think through well. Are you suggesting that things like the tainted sorcerer's ever-increasing taint score (and spellcasting ability modifier), candles of invocation and infinite wish loops, and the horror that is the planar shepherd prestige class were all intentional?

Yep. It violates RAI for vow of poverty pretty badly.

Hell, by your RAW-only definition, someone with VoP could freely use any psionic items they want, since those aren't magic items.

Having to resort to personal attacks and insults is a good sign of someone that's losing an argument.
    Ok, Ive been trying to make this point, but have so far failed. But Molten_dragon just knocked it out of the park...

VoP using psionics items because the "aren't magic". We can ALL agree that this is ridiculous right? Visigani? You can see that as well? Would it be safe to say that psionics items aren't magic items "in the traditional sense?"

How are Relics any different?
    Dragonborn Avatar by Iron Penguin

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

EDIT: Ninja-edited.
    Last edited by RFLS; 2013-10-23 at 11:42 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76

The humor comes from how the designers blundered. It's the same reason typos can be so funny.

EDIT: Darn pony ninja's
    Last edited by 123456789blaaa; 2013-10-23 at 11:43 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Edit: Ninja-edited-edited.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2013-10-23 at 11:44 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm surprised no one brought up earlier that the DM IS obligated to provide loot. This is what the rules about WBL, selling items, and community wealth are about. This is made explicit in MIC, where it is stated on page 231 "you should allow characters with sufficient funds to equip themselves as they desire" within WBL.

Not providing this is houseruling.
    Last edited by lsfreak; 2013-10-23 at 11:53 AM.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post
    I'm surprised no one brought up earlier that the DM IS obligated to provide loot. This is what the rules about WBL, selling items, and community wealth are about. This is made explicit in MIC, where it is stated on page 231 "you should allow characters with sufficient funds to equip themselves as they desire" within WBL.

VoP is a specific exception to the general rule of WBL.
    Last edited by 3WhiteFox3; 2013-10-23 at 11:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    We live in the land of the internets, where arguing is never pointless.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Yup he's obligated to provide loot, he's not obligated to create custom Non-traditional magic items though.

21. - Top - End - #81

Let's not start that argument please.

My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #82
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    And that is what it came from. But what they failed to keep in mind is that people that impose restrictions like that are typically secluded hermits, not adventurers.

Well, it's not like Incubi ask nicely or anything
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenica View Post
    Yup he's obligated to provide loot, he's not obligated to create custom Non-traditional magic items though.
    Especially when there are no guidelines for doing so.

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post

Yes, but he's not obligated to provide a specific type of loot. Nor can relics be bought and sold, negating the clause about allowing characters with sufficient funds to equip themselves as they desire.

Plus VoP characters are required to donate their loot to starving orphans and junk.

My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenica View Post
    Well he could run you through lots of Treasure: No encounters or give you some loot and then have an NPC rogue relieve you of it but that tends to become old.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: VoP doesn't suck

Sorry, I agree that the DM is under no obligation to provide weird loot to circumvent VoP's weaknesses. Visigani said earlier in the thread that the DM is not obligated to provide loot to anyone, so providing weird build-specific RAI- and RAW-violating loot to the VoP character is no different than providing loot for anyone else. Which is simply not true.
    Last edited by lsfreak; 2013-10-23 at 12:07 PM.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Actually the Vow of Poverty mentions (in sort of a roundabout way) that the DM is still obligated to provide loot for the character. Just the character isn't allowed to just give what would be his share to his allies. Instead he's supposed to give it all to charity, etc.

"Here you go Mr. Hobo, I know you're starving, have a +2 Longsword!"

But yeah. His argument seems to hinge on not only providing Relics (Which may or may not be reasonable), but also creating Custom Relics when there are no rules for Custom Relics (As opposed to rules for Custom Magic Items, etc). And even then you're limited to the Vow's possessions limiter. Which at best means the only "relic" you could really have is a simple weapon. So you might get away with that. You might also be able to skate with food as a magic item, if there was some holy food relic. But there isn't. And even the mace is kind of a corner case where I could see a DM ruling either way. As the thighbone is not going to be "masterwork", and a judgment call on RAI for "Magic".
    Currently sick as a dog and unable to focus properly. Will heal soon.

28. - Top - End - #88

In my games VoP works like this:
    The character gives all his possessions and gold to charities. Anything that he earns through adventuring (or otherwise) must be given up to a worthy cause, like feeding the hungry or sheltering the homeless. None of his earnings can go to his benefit.
    As a reward the character gains effects of magic items. The effect's price is the same as the price of an item that gives that effect, but the money actually goes to charity.
    So basically he gains magical equipment, but it can't be stolen or sundered and if dispelled it can be reactivated with a free action.
    By being super Good and paying a feat the character effectively can have any magic item without having the risk of losing it.

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by ArcturusV View Post
    Actually the Vow of Poverty mentions (in sort of a roundabout way) that the DM is still obligated to provide loot for the character. Just the character isn't allowed to just give what would be his share to his allies. Instead he's supposed to give it all to charity, etc.

"Here you go Mr. Hobo, I know you're starving, have a +2 Longsword!"
    Note to self, hobos and starving orphans aren't easily able to defend themselves. Follow VoP character around and steal his charitable donations from the people he donates them to after he leaves.

My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #90

Relics are built by the DM like any other magic item. This argument has turned hilarious because of the lengths...

"Oh... oh muh gawd... oh muh GAWD... HE EXPECTS THE DM TO PROVIDE TREASURE THE PLAYER CAN USE?!?!?!?! How DARE he! And... *gasp* it's "strange custom content from beyond the realms of madness!"..."

this group has gone to to maintain their belief that VoP must suck... because if it doesn't... can we trust anything to be real?

Meanwhile everyone is telling themselves Dragonwrought Kobolds begin play as epic dragons or somesuch nonsense... because like, they're "True Dragons".