Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default The Worldwound Incursion: The OOCing

The Worldwound Incursion
    Out of Character Thread

I would say," Welcome to the Ends of the Earth", but there's scant welcome in the blasted wastes of the Worldwound. Starting in the fortress-city of Kenabres, the heroes of our story face incredible challenges and will wield mythic powers. Can they stand against the numberless hordes of the Abyss?

Golarion had better hope so...

The In-Character thread is HERE

{table=head]Player|Character|Race|Class|Role|Brief Description
    Bhaakon|Rada Markov |Tiefling|Inquisitor|Skilled Basher|Speaks Softly, Carries a Big Stick
    Escheton |Delilah | Halfling | Fighter |Precision Shooting|Opportunistic Epic Survivor
    Gwynfrid |Avaristar Chenla|Human|Paladin|Diplomatic Tank|Slow To Anger, Fast to Strike
    Mathemagics | Almaluxia | Its Complicated | Wizard |Blaster|Highly intelligent, emotionally immature walking fireball dispenser
    Serafina|Julia|Human|Sorcerer|Debuff and Deadfolk|A Woman, But More So
    TinyDancer | Alandra Medrano | Aasimar |Oracle |Healing and Divine Beating|OCD and Aberrant
    [/table]

Handy table...

{table=head]PC|Fort|Ref|Will|Perception|Sense Motive|Initiative
    Rada|+4|+1|+5|+4|+6|+1
    Delilah|+5|+5|+1|+3|+0|+4
    Avaristar|+3|+1|+2|+0|+4|+0
    Almaluxia|+2|+3|+2|+0|+0|+3
    Julia|+2|+2|+0|+6|+2|+6
    Alandra|+3|+1|+2|+0|+0|+1
    [/table]

Anevia is: HELPFUL, broken legged, 16 HP

Aravashnial is: FRIENDLY, Blinded, 31 HP

Horgus is: FRIENDLY, Fat, 18 HP

Lann, Crel, and Dyra are FRIENDLY

Current XP: 1,420 XP / 2,000 XP

Spoiler
    Show

100 XP - Anevia feels helpful
    35 XP - Horgus doesn't hate you
    35 XP - Aravashnial regained some hope
    70 XP - Maggot Mashing
    65 XP - Dead Viper
    65 XP - Fly Swatted
    65 XP - Resolved Tensions
    200 XP - Huecuva Hacking
    135 XP - Darkmantle Destruction
    200 XP - Rat Exterminator
    200 XP - Mongrelmen are People Too
    65 XP - Safe Spelunking
    150 XP - Discovering the Templars

35 XP - Bypassed Danger

Spoiler: Old Stuff
    Show
    First things first; please call a color for the speech of your character, please explicitly say what 'party role' your character is, and give me a pithy, four or five word description of your character.

Second thing's second; repost your character's One Unique Thing, and talk about it a bit. Just a bit. If you have questions about it, ask 'em so we can get it thrashed out sufficiently so you understand it.

Third thing's third; finish out your equipment purchases. It'll be important to get that squared away before we actually kick things off.

Last thing's last; we've only got one overlapping set of Campaign Traits between Avaristar and Delilah as Children of the Crusade. The obvious problem with them being related is that Avaristar is Human and Delilah is Halfling. The solution that I see is them being non-literal relatives; parents or grand parents who were close comrades, saved each others lives numerous times, and became Sworn Brothers in the manner of the Three Brothers. Obviously, you two aren't so closely bound (anymore than cousins would be, for instance). Does this work for you two?
    Last edited by NobodyMuch; 2013-12-30 at 04:15 PM.
    Exitus Acta Probate Pax Paritur

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Worldwound Incursion

Looks like I'm first (unless I get ninja'd), which means choice of color. So much pressure, so many choices... I'll go with indigo.

Role: Face, melee, limited skillmonkeying.

One unique thing: Rada is the only mortal that can draw up a binding infernal contract.

She's the go-to woman if you want to sell your soul for three wishes (she can't actually the grant wishes herself, she's just an intermediary). It's an irredeemably evil act, so it would take some pretty extreme circumstances for her to even consider it. It goes without saying that she doesn't tell people about this ability (though she feels an overriding compulsion to draw up a contract every few days, which she tries to do in secret and immediately destroys).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Reportin' in!

Almaluxia shall lay claim to the color of Deep Sky Blue for speech!

For the condensed description I shall go with...

"Highly intelligent, but emotionally immature"

One Unique Thing: He's the only individual who is both a tiefling and an aasimar.

(Pretty sure that under normal conditions the two races are mutually exclusive, though I think it could be possible for a tiefling to be the parent of an aasimar and vice versa.

As for party role, Almaluxia will start off as a blaster with the typical utility options of a wizard. Once we start getting some levels and I can get metamagic feats, he'll transition into a hybrid blaster-control role with things like Dazing Fireball.

(On that topic Nobody, what's your take on Spell Perfection with regards to Intensify Spell ? I've seen a fair number of opinions arguing both for and against them working together.)

Edit: Also if any of you feel like it would suit your character, feel free to give him a nickname. He made up most of his own name because he likes long words and thinks it sounds cool, so there's plenty of opportunities to tease him by shortening it.
    Last edited by Mathemagics; 2013-10-23 at 04:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I did a happy dance and some vigorous victorious arm-pumping. Anyone else do the same?

1]: A type of green I think would fit,such as this perhaps. Her party role will be support, "rogue", ranged(30ft) dps. Opportunistic supportive chance-bender
    I see we don't currently have anyone with trapfinding, so I shall branch off in that direction a bit deeper than I would had we a proper rogue.

2]:Delilah's One Unique Thing: Only "mundane" with a familiar.

3]: Inventory is up to date and good to go.

last]: That sounds fine. Also: called it :p

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Woot ! Very happy my character got selected for this exciting game.

Avaristar will speak in Teal. His intended role is the party diplomat and judge of peace, backed up with a massive evil-smiting polearm for those cases diplomacy and peace just don't cut it.

5-word (OK, 6-word) description: Slow to anger, fast to strike.

One Unique Thing: He's the only paladin who managed to fall on the day after taking his vows. Needless to say, he is deeply ashamed of this and doesn't like to talk about it (other characters might have heard about it). He has spent years trying to redeem himself in the eyes of the gods and his own and became a much more tolerant, forgiving and prudent person in the process. He doesn't consider this task finished (he never will, until he dies). Whatever quest lies in front of him, he will see as a chance to progress on that path.

Joint campaign trait with Delilah: Sworn brothers a few generations back would work. Alternatively, one could consider adoption of one ancestor into the other's family. Delilah's ancestry line description is more elaborate than Avaristar's right now, so I think I could rework my backstory to add a grandparent or great grandparent that was adopted by halflings. But I'm open to other ideas.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Escheton View Post
    I see we don't currently have anyone with trapfinding, so I shall branch off in that direction a bit deeper than I would had we a proper rogue.
    I think trapfinding wouldn't be very useful. You'll always be getting false positives in the vicinity of Almaluxia.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

And here I thought i was the excited one... and I'm one of the last posting... Heh.

Thing the first: Speaking color is plum. Alandra's party role is ultimately healer/divine beat-down, though until about 5th level or so it's quite supplementary. She can troubleshoot nonmagical traps with relative ease, but that seems to be the norm in this party. Short description: OCD, eccentric and aberrant.

Thing the second: Alandra is known by someone everywhere she goes. How this came to be she doesn't know, nor does she know all the people who know her... which can be rather disconcerting at times.

Thing the third: will be done most likely tonight. Just finished up our RL game, I've got some cover letter writing to do and then equipment afterward.
    Last edited by TinyDancer; 2013-10-23 at 04:46 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mathemagics View Post
    I think trapfinding wouldn't be very useful. You'll always be getting false positives in the vicinity of Almaluxia.
    Well, my planned prestige will grant me free trap radar. Beyond what she detects at eye-level of course.
    I just noticed our oracle can wreck non-magical traps. And we have 2 arcanists to dispel the magical ones if need be. Very nice.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Also just realized. We've got 4 female characters, 1 male, and 1 of ambiguous gender.

So in addition to all his other emotional baggage, Avaristar will now have to also fend off the inevitable harem comedy scenarios that will be foisted upon us.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Not touching that one with a folding 10' pole.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Also just realized. We've got 4 female characters, 1 male, and 1 of ambiguous gender.

So in addition to all his other emotional baggage, Avaristar will now have to also fend off the inevitable harem comedy scenarios that will be foisted upon us.
    Not touching that one with a... Eh, who knows.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bhaakon View Post
    Not touching that one with a folding 10' pole.
    Well to clarify, he's actually quite adamant about being a boy if the issue comes up... Just he manages to sabotage his own insistences and somehow contrives to be even less convincing when protesting about it...

And it still doesn't do anything to change his appearance. For some reason, the idea to try using magic also hasn't occurred to him either.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Well, my planned prestige will grant me free trap radar. Beyond what she detects at eye-level of course.
    I just noticed our oracle can wreck non-magical traps. And we have 2 arcanists to dispel the magical ones if need be. Very nice.
    It was a joke, Escheton. A 'trap' is a euphemism for a person who looks like an attractive member of one gender, but who is in fact the other gender. As Almaluxia looks like a pretty lady (but is in fact a man), he is a 'trap'.

Also, just to clarify some 'starting' things about your familiar. I dig the picture you found for him (or her), we can roll with that. He (or she) can speak Common and Abyssal. (S)he has (roughly) the intelligence of a precocious six year old human child.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I figured as much, hence the eye-level remark. Being a halfling means staring at everyone's junk constantly. Which is probably why they tend to be so active and dodgy. Whatever takes focus off whats right in front of them :p.
    And very nice that my familiar can talk. I was fearful for my gear getting stolen off/with my pony. As you mentioned the first 2 modules aren't very mount friendly. Now I can have a grumpy owl take a nap on the saddle and yell at kids to get off the lawn. While Delilah and the party kill rats, or whatever.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

With all those armored codpieces, a distracted halfling could put an eye out.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2013-10-23 at 05:28 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bhaakon View Post
    With all those armored codpieces, a distracted halfling could put an eye out.
    Nah, this is Pathfinder. Everyone is wearing kilts.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Nah, this is Pathfinder. Everyone is wearing kilts.
    They do, don't they? Their artists just love the armored kilt.

Except one NPC in Reign of Winter who wears this.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2013-10-23 at 06:52 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quick question for our casters: Is anyone planning on getting crafting feats?
    And for our DM: Would that be viable?

I'm trying to determine exactly how beneficial the Legendary Item Mythic Path Ability is. Especially considering that once you start on a bow you can't adjust the strength rating.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I'm certainly not. Not really worth it for a 2/3rds caster.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

I might; really depends on how feat deprived I feel. If I do, we might only see Wondrous Items and Arms/Armor... Maybe Rings. I do have a soft spot for Rings.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a pretty feat-intensive setup planned (meta-magic and all), but I might have a flex feat or two that I could put towards something like wondrous item.

I'll need to double-check the different feats again and mentally chart them out to see for sure.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Quick question for our casters: Is anyone planning on getting crafting feats?
    And for our DM: Would that be viable?

I'm trying to determine exactly how beneficial the Legendary Item Mythic Path Ability is. Especially considering that once you start on a bow you can't adjust the strength rating.
    Making stuff is plenty viable; there will be Down Time For Reals once we get past the first section of the Path.

Also, don't forget that being Mythic gets you a grip of extra feats.

Mathemagics: What is the argument against those two feats working together, exactly? And, I guess, in what way are you asking if they work together?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah the question is whether or not Spell Perfection doubles the 5 levels worth of dice to 10 for the spell in question. Some argue for this because 5 is a set number which can double, others argue against because it's 5 levels, which can be variable since different spells can scale differently based on those levels.

Naturally, I'm hoping it means I can get a fireball that has a cap of 20d6 at level 20.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah the question is whether or not Spell Perfection doubles the 5 levels worth of dice to 10 for the spell in question. Some argue for this because 5 is a set number which can double, others argue against because it's 5 levels, which can be variable since different spells can scale differently based on those levels.

Naturally, I'm hoping it means I can get a fireball that has a cap of 20d6 at level 20.
    The way I read this, the raise of 5 levels to the cap isn't a "numerical bonus" in the sense of Spell Perfection, but I wouldn't have a heart attack if the ruling went the other way. Sure, being able to do 20d6 fire damage with a level 4 spell slot sounds impressive. But at level 20, you'll have like 20 spell slots that can do more than that. So it's hardly game-breaking.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

The build I have in mind pretty much revolves around abusing the heck out of Fireball. (Note that I have Magical Lineage (Fireball), so even just the Intensified version is still a level 3 spell.) The idea later on is to fling quickened dazing versions of it around, along with Admixture'd ice versions with a Rime rod if I can manage, along with intensified ones or whatever else I can get my hands on hehe.

And a dazing fireball is just... scary... 20 foot radius that can shut an enemy down for 3 turns if they fail their save, and it targets reflex. Sure it costs a level 6 spell slot, but still.

Also taking into account that Spell Perfection can double up effects on Fireball, so that's +4 to the saving throw from evocation focus, +8 to spell penetration with both the feats, and potentially the making it 20d6 instead of 15d6 damage cap... And it allows for a free metamagic feat to be applied to it so long as it doesn't bump over 9th level, which means a free quicken or daze.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Now we're talking business

That sounds impressive especially when Spell Perfection kicks in at level 15. That said, among all the things you've listed the extra cap raise from 15 to 20 strikes me as just cherry on the cake. It sure is nice, but the feat combo will be impressive even without it.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, that's exactly it. The build should be pretty solid even without it, just getting that extra bit of scaling damage sweetens the deal even more.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

Julia will speak in Orange (not my first choice, but thats what i get for posting late )

Party role: Debuffer/Summoner-Necromancer.
    Her role might overlap with Almaluxia - but she won't go for much blasting later on, and her being a Wordcaster means distinctively different buff and debuff-spells, all adjustable to the current situation.
    If it is a thing in this campaign, she will also go for Item Crafting, including Magical Tattoos (the entry stipulates that you can make more than just the three listed ones, so if you have a cheap item you'd like slotless, that's the way to go, GM permitting).

There is a mythic path ability that lets you craft every item regardless of feat prerequisites, so i'll take that. Being a Wordcaster, i also don't need to know any required spells (since i know words instead of spells) - they just have to show up on the appropriate spell list, and i get a slight (+2) increase to crafting difficulty.
    So as long as it's an arcane item, i should be able to craft it

For now, she's mostly limited to two things:
    1D4 Fire damage, single-target/10ft cone (all day long), 10ft burst/30ft line (1st-level spell)
    And three-round sickened conditions with the same targeting options (also 1st-level spell).
    Of course that shall expand rapidly once she gains levelsunravels more of the underlying mythic structure of the universe.

One Unique Thing: Julia is the only one delving into the basic components of magic.
    Yep, her OUT rests mostly on her being a Wordcaster, in combination with her scholary attitude. It will translate into being very prideful of her own spellcasting (just maybe hiding a little bit that she's a Sorceress, instead of a Wizard as she always wanted to be)

Her Personality can be described as "overly pragmatic cynic with hidden protective and needy side"
    Last edited by Serafina; 2013-10-24 at 04:03 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

How will combat be handled? Specifically positioning. Location is everything to my character as she grants and receives different bonuses based on her position relative to her allies and enemies. So a means for precision and tactics would be greatly appreciated.

Our melee seems reach-based currently, and with pushing assault and AoO and such I think they would appreciate a proper grid of sorts as well.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

How will combat be handled? Specifically positioning. Location is everything to my character as she grants and receives different bonuses based on her position relative to her allies and enemies. So a means for precision and tactics would be greatly appreciated.

Our melee seems reach-based currently, and with pushing assault and AoO and such I think they would appreciate a proper grid of sorts as well.
    Seconded, precisely for the reasons you mention. I only have a short prior experience playing a melee combatant with a reach weapon, but it was enough to understand that placement is everything.

I see most folks have started to plan for their career evolution, I can't say I have given much thought to it yet. I read about 10% of Mythic Adventures and I still have to choose a path. At first glance, there are no less than 4 possible ones out of the total 6 (I love the flexibility, typical of PF). We'll see as we go.

Anyway, it's pretty certain I will pick a progression to leverage the reach of my heirloom bardiche. I checked for the possibility of transforming it into a masterwork weapon, and lo and behold, it's feasible. Therefore, if any of our casters goes for crafting, that will be very much appreciated. It would leave me free to go for a mount companion at level 5, something I have had my eye on since NobodyMuch said it's workable in this AP.

Looking at roles it seems we're covered for about everything, except possibly buffing. Any of the casters, please consider adding this to their repertoire?