Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 572
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
     
    NobodyMuch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013

    Default WotR: The Worldwound Incursion


    The Worldwound Incursion

    Darkness.

    You awaken with a start from nightmares of flying and falling to a darkness so absolute that at first you can only assume that blindness has stolen your sight. This is quickly followed by a sense of drowning, the fuzzy edges of your return to awareness obliterated by the razor sharp edge of terror. Instinct takes over, and you claw upwards through what (mercifully!) turns out to be a few inches of broken dirt and stone that had entombed you.

    Memory returns even as your ears continue to ring, betokening the recent nature of the events that you begin to recall. Stones still clatter from above, the sound of rubble shifting as it seeks its final angle of repose here in the deeper dark.

    The celebration of Armasse officially began at noon (perhaps ten minutes ago, perhaps less), with the blessing of Kenabres' ruler, Lord Hulrun Himself. The teeming crowd gathered in the grand Clydwell Plaza hushed as the aged inquisitor took the stage, clad in his shining armor. He cleared his throat to speak, but before even a single word cleared his lips a brilliant light sparked into life in the west, as though a second sun were rising from the wrong horizon. Hulrun's shadow fell huge and distorted across the facade of the cathedral that faced the stage dancing with a grotesque life of its own. A moment later the sound of a thunderous explosion ripped through the air, rumbling deep in the gut, a tremor shaking the earth below.

    As the light dimmed and dazzled eyes cleared it became clear that the hold known as the Kite (the very location of Kenabres's wardstone) had vanished in the holocaust of light. In its place remained a brilliant plume of red fire, lightning and smoke erupting into the heavens, its shape a perverse imitation of Iomedae's holy symbol.

    Only the merest moment passed before one of Kenebres's greatest guardians rose into the air on a roar and silvered wings; the ancient dragon Terendelev who had been in attendance disguised as a human rose with the cheers of the multitude. Dropping from the looming cloud of smoke was another form which left those cries of salvation stilled in the throat, as nightmarish as the dragon was breathtaking. A humanoid shape thrice the size of even the largest of men, its skin dripping with fire and wreathed in lightning, gripping a crackling sword and flaming whip. Khorramzadeh, the Storm King of the Worldwound, had returned just as he'd sworn.

    The ground continued to shake and reality itself warped as demons were disgorged into the street through rents in the earth, temporary Gates yawning in the broken cobblestones of the fortress-city. Even as Rada and Avaristar closed ranks, righteously smiting the demons that encroach on them, Alandra stabilized a well-dressed man who'd taken a fragment of stone through his abdomen. The Dragon and the Storm King clashed overhead while Julia and Almaluxia stood back-to-back, surrounded by fiends and picking them off with arcane might.

    If the mid-air melee followed the course of the group below, this tale would be an altogether different one. Alas, the balor lord cut deep into Terendelev's body with such force that the dragon's charge was halted and her wings failed her. The sight of Terendelev, the champion of the Fourth Crusade, hurtling into the facade of the Cathedral of Saint Clydwell is not one you will ever be able to forget. Statuary shattered and fell, a deadly rain of shards joined the ash which had already started to fall from the sky like macabre snow. A mother and her son would have perished then if Delilah had not knocked them clear.

    Clear not only of the hazard from above, but also of that from below. An obscene beast, larger than even the grand Khorramzadeh clawed its way upwards from a Gate, its thrashing bulk rocking the ground as it smashed its way into the world of mortals. A rift tore in the battred and abused courtyard, revealing naught below but a hungry void.

    As you each began to fall, tumbling into this yawning crevasse, Terendelev noticed your plight. Though her doom stood over her with bloody blade in hand, she seized this final chance to save lives. A handful of arcane words and a grasping gesture was all it took before you each felt her magic take hold of you, slowing your plummeting descent into the darkness below.


    Though the rift sealed above you before she perished, you know the exact moment when the Storm King's assault ended Terendelev's life. The magic which held you and the debris which surrounded you in a feathery embrace broke, ended by her death. The final, sudden drop and battering by stones and shingles accounts for your brief unconsciousness and minor bruising.

    The pitch darkness of the undercavern is no obstacle for the planetouched in the group as they work their way free of the wreckage. Owing to their otherworldly senses, they can see that they are in a large, natural cavern whose ceiling reaches up into an inky depth beyond the extant of their sight, the air fogged with dust. The pile of rubble which you have only recently excavated yourself from contains the others of your incipient party and perhaps another dozen bodies, at least one of which is groaning and trying to stand. It widens to a grand space and opens to the east, with an appearance of two passage ways, one to the north and the other to the south, splitting around a great stalagmite... next to which looms the terrifying bulk of a spider, monstrous in size. Though it does not yet move, the prospect of an arachnid which is as large as a warhorse is daunting.

    The humans and the halfling, however, see nothing but the dark.

    Spoiler
    Show

    And so it begins! In case it needs to be said, anything you didn't have on you at the festival is (for the moment) beyond your reach. This principally affects Delilah, who has a bunch of things I'm sure you will all wish you had with you on a warpony somewhere in the city above you. On the other hand, she'll find that her familiar (whose name I don't know yet) is with her and presumably very displeased with the situation at hand.

    Despite the presence of the spider, combat won't be starting unless one of you specifically begins it. So get your feet wet. Cough out some masonry dust. Get some light going. Talk to each other.

    And welcome! I hope its a hell of a ride.
    Last edited by NobodyMuch; 2013-10-24 at 10:49 PM.
    Exitus Acta Probate Pax Paritur


  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    The tall, chain shirt clad warrior stands up, stifling a groan as he does so.

    "Great gods above, such an horror! Is anyone else alive down here?", he asks, in a soft, rumbling voice. Lost in the dark, he starts fumbling around his pockets. The festival light he had bought this very morning in preparation for the evening's celebration is going to be useful earlier than planned.

    He rips the protective wax cover open, and a flickering light, its color softly changing from green to blue and back every few seconds, illuminates his immediate surroundings.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Edited to account for the fact he certainly didn't take his backpack to the festival, yet allowing for some light.

    Technically the festival light is a 1gp candlerod, I'm adding that to the character sheet.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2013-10-25 at 07:48 AM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    "One other...more or less." Rada fights her way upright, leaning heavily on her spear as her head swims. She stands still, taking an inventory of herself as she waits for a fit of coughing to pass and the black blotches in her vision to clear.

    When those blotches resolve into the form of an enormous arachnid, she strangles off the coughing by force of will. "Be silent," she whispers to the tall warrior struggling to light his torch, "we've fallen into something's lair."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge check on the off chance that it's a zombified or demonic spider, since my Knowledge (nature) is untrained:

    (1d20)[2] planes and religion at +7, everything else is +3 (though all untrained, so no checks above DC 10)

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mathemagics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    "Owwww..."

    Almaluxia massages his temple; that's definitely going to leave a bruise. Trying to rub the dust out of his eyes, he slowly picks himself up from the rubble and blinks in confusion at the debris and the cavern around him.

    "What... just happened...?"

    Slowly coming out of the daze, he takes a few faltering steps before deciding that sitting would be better for now. Staring into the darkness around him, he frowns.

    Great. 'Go see the festival they said. A change of pace will do you good. It'll be fun! Maybe you'll even make a friend or two.' Figures this would happen the one time I leave the library...

    Hearing the sounds of others and movement in the rubble, Almaluxia tries to respond, though it comes out as more of a nervous whisper bordering on a whimper.

    "H-Hey. Anyone else there?"

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Serafina's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    'Okay, try to pull yourself together Julia'
    Julia rolls onto her back and slowly lifts herself off the ground. Her light backpack rustles, ink dropping from one of the pouches onto the floor.

    'Item one: Ouch
    Item two: Nothing seems to be broken.
    Item three: I can't see a thing and have no clue whats going on.
    Item four: Don't panic, don't panic, don't panic, don't...stop it!'

    She rubs her left arm, tattooed ink flowing into the shape of a small, long-tailed dinosaur. Julia pets it for a bit, then holds it close to her mouth and whispers
    "Okay Inkclaw, i need your help - do you have any idea whats going on here?

    The dinosaur darts off her arm onto the ground, sniffes the air and emits faint cawing sounds - then rushes back to his Mistress and hides between her legs.
    'Fear, Confusion, predator-stench'

    Spoiler
    Show
    Brown colour is the familiars empathic link and what Julia senses through it.
    Perception roll for Familiar, based on its Scent-ability (only has low-light vision otherwise): (1D20+4)[13]

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Escheton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Netherlands

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    Delilah kips up, and immediately takes a low defensive pose, sling-staff out and held firmly. She makes a quick spot to the only light-source, then sweeps the room from bright to dim.
    Avoiding attention to herself she reaches into a pocket and pulls forth a whistle, which cries out without sound.

    "Ah, you infernal woman!", a horned owl exclaims with a monotone voice and a ringing in it's ear as it descends from above to land on Delilah's shoulder.
    "The Princess seems elsewhere detained"

    Taking stock of the situation, the halfling uses the remnants of shock, fear and surprise to deal with what's ahead. She quickly moves towards the light.
    "Hey! Delilah.", introducing herself to the tall man holding a torch.

    "Alright, huddle together. You two, armored ones. Up front. Rest? Behind us." "And can a non-combatant take the light, please?"

    Taking up position, she loads her staff with a bullet, swings and releases.
    "It might not be hostile, but I can't take that chance"

    "Get Ready!"



    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge local(regarding the cavern): (1d20+5)[17]
    Attackroll: (1d20+6)[17]
    Dmg: (1d6+2)[3]

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Mountain west
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    'Not again...'

    The darkness behind her closed eyes was welcome considering what she'd just seen. Yet, she could feel her legs... Fingers still moved. How? The sparked torch brought Alandra's eye open, wishing perhaps for the comfort of the darkness again.

    "Down here," she responds to the call, pulling herself to her feet slowly. "All the gods above - where are we?"

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground
     
    NobodyMuch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    The caverns and tunnels below Kenabres are part of local legend; supposedly expanded by the city when it was founded, they have since become refuge to the outcasts of the city. The mutant, the traitor, the heretic. Not a pleasant place to be.

    The whizzing bullet thuds into the spider, or as has become clear on further examination and reflection to all of you, into the corpse of the spider. Julia's eerie Inkclaw further reports that the thing reeks of death, being a good week past its expiration date. The others notice the fact that despite getting cracked in the face with a lead bullet, it fails entirely to move.

    Only Almaluxia notices that while the spider did not react to the impact of the bullet, that it certainly is moving, albeit slightly and back and forth. It looks as though something is rocking about inside the distended thorax of the giant arthropod.
    Exitus Acta Probate Pax Paritur


  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    "Somebody kept a clear head here. That's good", says the warrior approvingly. "Fortunately, this thing doesn't seem to be dangerous anymore."

    By the bluish light, the others can see his lean and handsome face, marred by a few bloody cuts, his long, dark brown hair tied in a ponytail covered in dust, as are his previously impeccable chain shirt and clothes. But he's already regained his composure, and his voice is steady. In his fall, he managed to hang on to his weapons, most prominently a long polearm equipped with a crescent-shaped blade, half as long as the wooden haft and solidly affixed to it in its center and at the bottom end.

    "The name is Avaristar, by the way. It would seem we're in this together. I wouldn't call that fortunate, but it sure helps not to be alone."

    I hope Ma is OK. Good thing she didn't feel well enough to go out in all that festival crowd.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2013-10-25 at 10:51 AM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mathemagics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    Having taken a bit of a rest sitting on the floor, Almaluxia decides to try standing again. He's still a bit unsteady on his feet, but at least now he's able to stay standing. Blinking in the pale colored light that now fills the immediate surroundings, his expression turns to one of sudden concern.

    "Ah!"

    Looking around frantically, his worried look suddenly turns to relief as he spots what was misplaced--a backpack lodged in the rocks, upon which a large hawk is sitting placidly. Teetering towards the pack, he reaches out a hand and pets the animal on the back of the head absentmindedly.

    "So, you ended up down here too?"

    The bird flutters to another piece of debris as Almaluxia grabs at the backpack's straps, trying to pull it free. When it stubbornly refuses to dislodge, he pulls harder, leaning back against it with his feet planted at the base of the rubble in a manner which probably would appear comical if not for the rather dire situation.

    The bag suddenly comes free, causing the "child" to go sprawling on the floor with a thud. And of course the backpack lands on top of him to further add insult to injury. He glares at the pack, a mixture of frustration, pain, and injured pride on his face. Also a few tears.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Serafina's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    Coughing as she tries to speak aloud, the dark-blue-robed woman with white hair clears her throat and tries again.
    I am Julia, wizards apprentice. I'd say its nice to meet you, but that's hardly adequate for the circumstances. Thus we should try to resolve them swiftly - does anyone have any idea how to get out of here? Or what to do about that decomposing spider?
    Last edited by Serafina; 2013-10-25 at 12:59 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    "Just leave it be and try not to burst it. It's ripe enough without its guts spilling out." Rada answers with a crinkled nose. I can't believe I didn't smell that before. It must have been the dust clogging my nose.

    "The name is Rada," she adds as an afterthought. She slips her pack off and begins digging around inside. Carrying emergency supplies everwhere always seemed so silly in the middle of a city, even one on the edge of the worldwound, but it was one of the few rules that her senior Desnans took seriously. As a novitiate, it had been Rada's duty to check for and replace spoiled rations and rotten waterskins in hundreds of such bags, and make sure they were handed out to anyone leaving the temple grounds.

    The contents of the kit were just as she remembered: water, food, basic camping gear, a bit of rope, a prayer book, and many torches (not that she needed them). Plus her personal writing equipment in an oilskin belt pouch.

    Still, after seeing what happened in the moments before their fall (she shudders at the memory), more would be better.

    "We should see if any of these other people still breathe." She says, looking around at the bodies in the rubble. "And, as distasteful as it is, search them for supplies. Desna willing, I can create fresh water for us, but not food, rope, or climbing gear."

    Following her own advice, she begins searching the dead for signs of life--or useful equipment (money and valuables the dead can keep).

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check, if necessary.

    (1d20+7)[16]
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2013-10-25 at 02:04 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Escheton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Netherlands

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    "A bit anticlimactic, really", Arvid'thu'ul remarks with a sullen tone, flying off to perch on a piece of rubble overseeing the cavern.

    Delilah drops from her ready position,"Oh...ok."
    Immediate threat resolved she considers her situation and the worse case scenario,The Princess might be sacked and eaten, as the city itself. 5 silver, no rations, warzone. Underground cavern, dozen or so charges, handful of combatants. Time-crunch to rejoin the fray. Alright...go!

    "Let me help!, she yells after the devil-spawn. Aiding her in tending wounded and looting the dead(if any) of their useful gear, leaving no valuables behind, thinking corpse salvage might not be an option later.

    When near, she darts off to salvage her bullet. Stabbing forcefully into the spider to push it through. Keeping her guard up, because scary giant spider corpse.

    These things tended she urges towards further exploration past the spider.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    She's got long horns, but she thinks first about people we could do something for. Move! Avaristar frowns by himself, as he starts walking among the debris, looking for signs of life - but with his weapon ready in the case a living monstrosity is hiding somewhere.

    "Hello? Anyone out there?", he calls out, then goes silent, expectantly.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d20)[7]
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2013-10-25 at 04:38 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Serafina's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    Julia glances at the corpse-pillagers, her face slightly distorted with disgust.
    Really, such base looting...then again, searching the area makes some sense.

    With a swift movement of her hand, Julia pulls a scrap of parchment out of a belt pouch and drops a dab of ink on it. She mutters a few short words, and observes as the ink glows faintly as it forms an intricate pattern. The whole process takes but a few short seconds, and before her eyes the paper vanishes, the glowing ink expanding into her view and tracing the outlines of magic around her.
    With a short gesture to Inkclaw, both of them begin to inspect the area, Julia starting with the spider and looking at the far side of the cabin, while her familar darts between the other bodies.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Using Sense Magic.
    Knowledge Checks in case there is anything notable:
    Julia: (1D20+9)[18]
    Inkclaw (1D20+2)[16] Inkclaw is trained to recognize a schools spell and report the findings via empathic link (evocation is warmth, necromancy is cold, illusion is dizziness and so on).

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground
     
    NobodyMuch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    Those who are searching among the others who fell with them find only four who yet live. Besides these four, six fresh bodies of Kenabres citizens have been committed to its catacombs. There is also the remains of some sort of demon, crushed beneath a boulder twice its size. Looks like Terendelev's magic did not slow it's descent. A few useful supplies are scrounged up.

    Rada comes upon a woman dressed in leather armor; some sort of warrior by the looks of her, hardened. Shaken by whats happened, but resolute enough. She managed to limp to her feet (or foot, as she is heavily favoring her right leg), though she says nothing until Rada reaches her," I'd really hoped it was some sort of nightmare. It wasn't, was it?" She tries to put her left leg down, get some weight on it. This only result in a serious wince and a hissing intake of breath, and then she has to relent, lifting it once more. " Damn. Damn damn damn."

    The Paladin discovers a solid, stout, stocky (one might even say fat) man wearing what once was an extremely fashionable outfit. Though he's covered in detritus much as the rest of the party was, he too seems to have escaped any serious injury. " I.. what? Where are we? " Once Avaristar has helped him to his feet, the imperious man starts to dust himself off. This task is, of course, utterly futile given the ruined state of the man's clothing, but after a certain point he seems satisfied with his progress. " What is all of this nonsense? Who are you? Speak up, now."

    A third man, the unfortunate whom Alandra had stabilized up above, seems to be on the brink of death. The fall caused fresh injuries, jarring loose the large fragment of masonry driven through his torso. He groans, his eyes never opening.

    Delilah finds the last of the survivors, half propped up against a large wedge of fallen earth. His face is covered in crimson, and everything above the bridge of his nose is seriously lacerated. His eyes are the worst of it, destroyed by slashing flechettes of stone when Terendelev crashed into the church. " Why is it so dark? I..," the man speaks words that the magically inclined recognize as a spell that is intended to create light; and it does, adding its warm glow to the sparking fizz of the festival torch. When he still can't see, he seems puzzled. " Why didn't... antimagic?" And then his hands rise to his face, feeling his cheeks wet with blood. It all clicks in his mind and his whole body starts to shake, his voice cracking as his starts to panic. "Oh, no, mercy, no. My eyes. I can't.. my eyes!!"

    Julia
    Spoiler
    Show

    The armor that the limping woman is wearing is magic, and you know that it is abjuration of the faint sort

    The cloak that uninjured man wears is magic, abjuration and faint

    So much of the gear that the man screaming about his eyes carries is magic that its hard to pick out where one aura begins and another ends.

    There's more out there, but that's what you find in your first sweep. The blinded man's gear almost makes it harder to find other things, like a bright light hiding dimmer lights.
    Exitus Acta Probate Pax Paritur


  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    "It couldn't have been a nightmare," Rada answers the limping woman, "not even in my nightmares do things go that badly." It's not meant to be a joke, or even funny, but she can't help chuckling. Nothing like gallows humor to take the edge off the constant, crushing, despair of abject failure and impending doom.

    The survivor's swearing snaps Rada out of it before her jittery giggle turns into full-blown hysterical cackling. "Sit down for a moment and let me help you with that leg." Gingerly she reaches out for the injured limb with her left hand, clutching her holy symbol with her right.

    "Tender of Dreams, revive..." She begins before falling into the typical formula. She raises a corner of her mouth in the barest hint of a smirk.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Cure Light Wounds: (1d8+1)[2]

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Escheton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Netherlands

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    "Oi! Snap out of it!" Delilah kicks the panicking man's shin, hard."Feel that?! It's pain. You feel it because you are still alive. You are lucky, some here were not. Got money? Survive long enough to see a high priest. Watch a sunrise, have a beer." Delilah uses a strong commanding tone to focus and re-prioritize the man's thoughts.

    With the light created by the wounded man, Delilah can see the man's injuries better. Noting dust and rock-fragments stuck on the caked blood. She might not be versed in first aid, but it doesn't take a field-medic to know the dangers of infection.
    "Desnite! You said you can conjure water? Help me rinse this man's wounds."

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Mountain west
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    In the light it's a bit easier to see the woman: lanky at best, taller than most, but yet quite striking features marred now by the cuts and scrapes of the recent happenings. Despite the threadbare appearance of her clothes and the dust that's caked itself to her with the fall, she appears to be no worse for wear.

    "Be careful there," she whispers to the girl (boy?) that had fallen, offering a gloved hand to help Almaluxia to his feet after a very short, yet obvious hesitation. Ensuring the boy was righted to his feet, Alandra moves with the others, wishing to keep with the light sources.

    Coming upon the man she'd aided before Alandra kneels at his side reluctantly, her eyes on the masonry jutting from the man's body. "I am so sorry," she whispers to the man, the tips of her gloved fingers grazing upon his face in what she hoped was a comforting manner. Her lips form words and her fingers grow warm with the magic she speaks. "I'm going to get you out of here." she finally resolves, pushing herself to her feet again.

    (Cure Light Wounds: (1d8+1)[5])

    "Is there an exit we've found yet? This man is far beyond my ability to heal."

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    "My name is Avaristar Chenla, servant of the Dawnflower, of the Inheritor, and of the city," comes the answer, in a respectful, yet assured voice. "Where we are is in the old catacombs. What happened is a demon attack." He lets the words sink in.

    "And it didn't start well for our side,"
    he adds grimly. "I fear we lost a great protector in Terendelev."

    "But she used her last magic to save us from a deadly fall, so we might survive to fight another day. I don't know what's now happening above, but we must find a way out, see if we can lend a hand either in the fight, or the evacuation. It seems fate has thrown all of us in this together," he concludes, showing the man the other figures trying to recover around them.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+7)[24]

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground
     
    NobodyMuch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    While Rada works, the leather armor clad unknown strips a broken bow she'd found, shaping it into a crude splint and tying it around her injured shin with a rag she tears from her undershirt. Talking as she works, she says," Thanks. Name's Anevia. To think, I used to get myself into situations like this as a profession. Crazy. The madness of youth. There, I think that'll do it."

    " Hmm. Hmm. Serious, very serious." The pompous man says, stroking his beard as the paladin explains what happened. He seems to have calmed considerably from that explanation, his natural sense of rank and privilege shielding him from the horror of the situation they are in. And then, with an honest to god courtly bow, he says," You have the distinct pleasure of addressing Horgus Gwerm, scion and lord of the most noble House of Gwerm. Terendelev's loss is a tragedy beyond words, but... yes. You're right. I, ah, we have to get back to the surface. We're needed in the fight. If the wardstone is really gone... they'll need every last one of you on the walls, while I help direct the strategic situation from wherever they've moved high command."

    " I know what sort of effect a salutary reward can have on focusing the mind and motivating the soul. If you can get me out of here alive, I'll be giving you all two thousand pieces of gold." He thinks about this a moment, looking around at the number of able-bodied folk around him. In the process, he spots the woman who just identified herself as Anevia and he scowls. His good mood seems to go with the frown and he clarifies," To split."

    " See a high priest? SEE a high priest? " The blinded man starts to bubble over with anger, his panic vanished. He clamps down on that emotion hard, tilting his head to the side and taking a deep breath before he says in a commanding tone of his own," We've got at least one other person seriously wounded by the sounds of it, and we've fallen into the cursed tunnels. We're not going to get out of here by 'snapping out of it'. We need a plan. A good damned plan. How many do we number? Have you found any exits from this particular cavern yet? Do we have any capable crusaders down here? Do you have any litters for those who cannot walk? "

    The critically injured man groans some more, but he has once again stabilized, the large rock fragment essentially 'healed' inside of his body, though its ends still protrude from his abdomen, front and back.

    Julia manages to isolate the last source, or rather, sources of magic. There are six distinct points scattered throughout the rubble that fills the western half of the vast cavern; though the auras themselves are small, once she's got a sense of their location she gets the vague sense that they are in some way magically dense
    Exitus Acta Probate Pax Paritur


  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mathemagics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    Almaluxia accepts Alandra's helping him to his feet and mutters a nervous thanks. Unsure of what to do, he timidly follows behind the woman towards where the others appear to be grouping up. Rather than directly joining them, he lingers for a while just on the edge of the gathering, his apprehension readily apparent.

    Ugh, people... why couldn't it have been something simple instead...?

    "Uh... um..."

    His whispered attempt to join the conversation falters as his anxiety wins out and causes him to trail into silence. Taking a few breaths, he tries again, and this time manages a slightly louder and clearer voice.

    "I-I'm not sure, but I think there might be a way out over there?"

    He points towards the direction of the deceased spider and the part of the cavern beyond.

    "But... but I think I saw something moving over there too..."

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Serafina's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    Julia stands up straight and tries to confidently address the people around her.
    "Don't rush this.We need a way to move the wounded first, and make sure everyone is taken care off. We need to take stock of our supplies, and dishonorable though it may be, take from the wounded what we can.


    She walks towards the eyeless man and taps him lightly on the shoulder.
    "Sir, you are a wizard, is that correct? Do you have any spells or magic items that could be of use in our escape? If so, i urge you to aid us. Furthermore, i have detected several potent sources of magic under the rubble" - she gestures towards the location where she found the dense sources of magic, before she realizes that the man can not see "err, about 40 degrees to your left. If we dig them out, we may need your expertise in identifying them.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    Avaristar extends a courteous bow in turn. "My lord, it is my duty to help and protect, and I will do so for free. I will not turn your graciously offered reward down, however. There is many a good deed I could do with it."

    He makes a mental note of the look lord Gwerm just cast towards the wounded woman, Anevia. Do they know each other? A question for a later time. His reflection is interrupted by the blind man. He listens to Julia's answer and nods in approval.

    "Good thinking. We need to make the best of every resource we can find. And, sir, yes, we do need a plan. We have here seven able-bodied men and women, including yourself, my lord." He takes care to acknowledge the nobleman again with a nod before he turns back to the blind wizard. "Then we have the wounded. Yourself, sir, blinded. Mistress Anevia here is limping and may be able to walk, but slowly. And one unconscious man, he is gravely hurt and will have to be carried and tended to."

    "As for crusaders... I think most of us can fight. We are armed, and hopefully we will be able to find useful equipment in the rubble. Including some magic, as indicated by Miss Julia."

    Even as the thinks aloud, he's attentive to his surroundings, and he doesn't miss Almaluxia's timid intervention.

    "Something moved, you say? Where?" He turns around, his bardiche in one hand, his candlerod in the other.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mathemagics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    The youth seems startled by the sudden attention focused upon him and jumps just a tiny bit at the question.

    "Ah! Um...over there... the-the spider..."

    He points meekly towards the distant shape sitting on the floor across the cavern. His expression clearly conveys the feeling that he's rather be just about anywhere else but here right now.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    "Can you hold this for me, please." The warrior hands his blue and green candlerod to the boy (the girl?), then goes to stand between the group and the spider, his big crescent-bladed weapon at the ready, searching through the dimly lit scene for any movement and trying to find if there's any real threat or if this was just the effect of the youngster's scared imagination.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d20)[13]

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Escheton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Netherlands

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    Liking the various capable reactions Delilah thinks further on constructing a means of carrying the wounded man. If only the Princess was here...
    "We could use polearms and some clothing to make a stretcher, but lets look at other options. Maybe the spider's chitinous carcass would make a functional, though odorous base. Needs to stop moving first though."

    Delilah starts slowly but deliberately loading her sling and making shots at the spider, pausing each time to spot a reaction.



    Spoiler
    Show

    Attacks:(1d20+6)[8], (1d20+6)[14], (1d20+6)[24], (1d20+6)[19]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[8], (1d6+2)[5], (1d6+2)[7], (1d6+2)[8]


  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Serafina's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    "It moved? Better take care of that!
    Julia reaches into her pouch again, pulling out another scrap of paper. Instead of dispersing with a faint glow, the ink causes the paper to incinerate in a flash - which curls around Julias hand and then sprays forth as a stream of flame towards the spider.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Attacking the Spider with Flame Jet.
    Ranged Touch Attack: (1D20+2)[14]
    Damage: (1D4)[3]

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    "My name is Rada." She flashes a smile, the kind of perfectly straight alabaster dentition that aging fops pay denture makers a small fortune for. Rada always enjoys showing off her most human feature. "I'd like to say it's a pleasure to meet you, but under the circumstances...well, I'm glad we survived." She offers a hand to pull Anevia back upright.

    "Will that leg will bear your weight. My powers are quite limited, and I dare not use more until the critically wounded are out of danger."


    "Desnite! You said you can conjure water? Help me rinse this man's wounds."

    "It's Desnan"
    Rada corrects the common error by habit, turning just in time to catch the blind man's withering rant.

    "Excuse me, I think I should see to the man before he turns completely hysterical." She whispers to Anevia.

    Pompous, arrogant, commanding...is he a noble? Maybe a deferential tact?
    She scrapes her feet through the rubble as she approaches so that her words don't surprise the blinded man. She opens her mouth to speak, but Avarister strikes first. She cuts in smoothly as the paladin finishes.

    "You must be a skilled arcanist to throw a light spell so easily while injured so terribly. As you say, it is important to discover and exploit all the resources at hand in such a dire situation, and you yourself may be our most important one. But all your spells won't be of any use if you continue bleeding like that."

    "I'm going to touch your face now,"
    Rada explains as closes in for a closer inspection of the man's ruined face. She hastens through the prayer for healing.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy to calm him down: (1d20+9)[14]

    CLW: (1d8+1)[9]

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground
     
    NobodyMuch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013

    Default Re: WotR: The Worldwound Incursion

    " I can manage. Thanks for the help," is Anevia's answer to Rada. And she stands, her ability to use the injured leg still reduced but no longer impossible.

    " Anevia, you say?" The blinded wizard tilted his head in the direction of the lamed woman when the Paladin mentions her name. " Anevia Tirabade? Well, that's.... If she's half as fierce as her wife, she'll be worth something." And as Rada's healing magic flows into him, he lets out a long sigh. He rips a strip from the hem of his robes, ties it about his head (more to hide the disfiguring injuries he suffered than anything else).

    Julia's and Delilah's assault on the corpse of the spider prompts a much more visible reaction than the first lone bullet; the flames in particular creates a dramatic effect. The husk catches fire, adding dancing shadows to the walls of the cave, and the corpse splits open, a putrefying kinder egg. From its belly spills three giant maggots, the perverse inversion of the spider being eaten by the fly. Sensing the presence of the group, they snuffle towards them, creeping along the cold stone floor of the cavern.

    " The nineteen Hells of crawling horrors, demons!," is the noble Horgus's shriek.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Combat time! Avaristar, Almaluxia and Julia all have higher initiatives than the fastest group average (at 13), so they get to take two turns before the maggots get to act. I am fully expecting the maggots to not survive until their turn. If you get two rounds, feel free to take both your turns in your next post.

    Rada: 11
    Delilah: 9
    Avaristar: 14
    Almaluxia: 19
    Julia: 20
    Alandra: 7

    Party Average: 13
    Maggot Average: 6
    Exitus Acta Probate Pax Paritur


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •