New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Boosting Will Up

I really need to boost Will saves up, and i was wondering if there was something like a Cloak of Resistance, but only granting you a Will bonus.
    I was thinking that, based on the CoR, a +3 to Will should cost something around 2000-3000 gp, what do you think?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Boosting Will Up

Um... There's the Iron Will feat, and then there's the periapt of Wisdom...

that's about all I can figure...
    Member of a fanclub.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by shaka gl View Post
    I really need to boost Will saves up, and i was wondering if there was something like a Cloak of Resistance, but only granting you a Will bonus.
    I was thinking that, based on the CoR, a +3 to Will should cost something around 2000-3000 gp, what do you think?
    It would need to be DM-approved, but reasonably, a cloak boosting one out of three saves should cost one-third that of a cloak boosting all three. So a +3 Will would be (9000/3 = 3000), a +4 would be (16,000/3 = 5,334), a +5 would be (25,000/3 = 8,334) gp.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I'd say one-third seems ok.

However, thinking the other way around, an item with multiple abilities costs:
    Price of most expensive ability + Price of any other abilities x 1,5.

Thinking of each saving throw bonus as a separate ability, the cost of a Cloak of Resistance would be: Y + 1,5Y + 1,5Y = 4Y (supposing the same base cost for each save bonus).
    Therefore, a Cloak of Mental Strenght would cost one-fourth the cost of a Cloak of resistance.

If you want to think of the diferent resistance bonus as similar abilities (for the magic item), than it would make our CoMS cost 1/2,25 the price of the CoR.
    Join the BARD DEFENSE LEAGUE!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    "No, that spell is designed to summon cupcakes for you to eat. You can't create it inside your enemy's brain."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

there's some feats that let you subsitute other things in for will saves. one feat mentioned in the grr will saves feat thread mentions a feat that lets you use your con mod instead of your wis mod. there's other feats that subsitute other stuff and let you roll again on a failed save.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_tick_rules View Post
    there's some feats that let you subsitute other things in for will saves. one feat mentioned in the grr will saves feat thread mentions a feat that lets you use your con mod instead of your wis mod. there's other feats that subsitute other stuff and let you roll again on a failed save.
    Specifically: Steadfast Determination

Very useful for high-Consitution, low-Wisdom fighters. Requires Endurance.

Oh, and, should Amiria go on this thread, sorry for stealing your link! *hides*
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeril View Post
    Congratulations! You leveled up in awesome!
    [Avatar by Ink] [Sig Doll by Kyace]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Combat Focus (PHB2), gives a bonus to Will saves during combat. Which is always handy for fighter types.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

The marginal benefit of increasing a single (poor) save is higher than the average marginal benefit of increasing all saves (poor and good).

The pricing of a magic item that only increases a single save should reflect that, you most certainly should not give it a discount.

I would suggest that you divide by 3 but add at least a 25 % cost to that.

Single Save item.
    +1: 1000/3 x 1.25 = 417 gp.
    +2: 4000/3 x 1.25 = 1667 gp.
    +3: 9000/3 x 1.25 = 3750 gp.
    +4: 16000/3 x 1.25 = 6667 gp.
    +5: 25000/3 x 1.25 = 10417 gp.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I think there also are rings and necklaces and stuff that only increase one save. At least NWN has, although I don't know about the real DnD. But then, the feat and wisdom bonuses are your friend, especially a +4 wisdom periapt, which makes the feat unnecessary and also grants you wisdom for other things.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

A Periapt of Wisdom +4 costs 16000 gp and if you need to boost your Will save chances are that you do not have much else to use Wisdom for.

Thus a Periapt of Wisdom is much to expensive for the benefit it provides for low base will save classes.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Take a look at the Crystal Mask of Mindarmor. It boosts only the Will save. Since it is an Insight bonus it is a bit more expensive. But it stacks with a Cloak of Resistance.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show