New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default The easy fix to shiver touch

We all know the legends, about how a lvl 5 wizard can kill an adult dragon in two rounds, the fabled spell that is only used once before the dm bans it for eternity, but seriously, why do people stick to the RAW so hard with it? It was an obvious typo, so why not just prevent it from lower dex below one like a rational person? In new groups, people don't really know what happens when you get a 0 non-con ability score, and veterans know what the spell was supposed to do. It just bugs me, and I wanted to vent.
    Last edited by A Tad Insane; 2013-10-27 at 03:04 PM.
    I'M NOT CRAZY!!

I just find sanity a rather dull affair

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Devil

Default Re: The easy fix to shiver touch

Because we are dealing with a game that is so varied and based around houserules to function, on forums when it is unlikely even 1% of the sites members have played with each other, you have to talk in terms of RAW, unless explicitly mentioned. there are easy fixes for everything, whether it is Planar Shepherd abuse, or Ladders into poles.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

The real fix is Scintillating Scales, but unless you want to make all your dragons Incatrices, they won't be able to keep it up for long.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The real fix is Scintillating Scales, but unless you want to make all your dragons Incatrices, they won't be able to keep it up for long.
    Easy fix = Fort negates
    Sorry for the bad english guys, i'm trying hard to learn.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A Tad Insane View Post
    We all know the legends, about how a lvl 5 wizard can kill an adult dragon in two rounds, the fabled spell that is only used once before the dm bans it for eternity, but seriously, why do people stick to the RAW so hard with it? It was an obvious typo, so why not just prevent it from lower dex below one like a rational person? In new groups, people don't really know what happens when you get a 0 non-con ability score, and veterans know what the spell was supposed to do. It just bugs me, and I wanted to vent.
    Because as-is, it does ability damage, not an ability penalty. I house-rule it and its lesser version as doing penalties, as the duration line makes it obvious that they meant penalty.
    The Real Alignments Handbook, Save Points & Strife
    4e-Like Passives for 3.5e, Comprehensive Spell Points Tables, Line-of-Sight vs Line-of-Effect
    Rule #1 for conversing with me: As soon as you use all-caps for an entire statement or clause, you lose.
    Rule #2 for conversing with me: RAW-tards and other close-minded folks automatically lose.

If you're complaining about the OP's premise, please... stop, as you're probably not helping.

6. - Top - End - #6

Daemon

0 dex means paralyzed ; dragons are immune to paralysis.

RAW fix :P

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Devil

They are immune to Paralysis effects, not Paralysis.

8. - Top - End - #8

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    They are immune to Paralysis effects, not Paralysis.
    Paralysis isn't a paralysis effect? Considering how people choose to interpret the RAW for ironheart surge, and the fact that we are trying to nerf shivering touch should let us read that dragons are immune to the paralysis effect of having 0 dex.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbownaga View Post
    Paralysis isn't a paralysis effect? Considering how people choose to interpret the RAW for ironheart surge, and the fact that we are trying to nerf shivering touch should let us read that dragons are immune to the paralysis effect of having 0 dex.
    That's paralysis resulting from a different effect, not paralysis as an effect in itself. Now you may or may not be able to iron heart surge the ability damage directly, but the paralysis resulting from it isn't the effect.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Ring of Energy Immunity: Cold.

Problem solved. Next question?
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Beardbarian View Post
    Easy fix = Fort negates
    typically, this also means you get to use it without a touch attack, and probably at close (25ft +5ft/2 levels) range. Touch spells usually have a touch attack in place of a save, not in addition to it.

Still, the dragon does a lot better that way.

There's also the fact that the spell is generally dangerous to use without a lot of setup to render yourself immune to damage, first. Without tricks, it's a touch spell. As a wizard/sorcerer, getting to within touch range of a dragon is typically something you want to avoid. And then there's almost a 50% chance it does 9 or less dex damage and leaves you wide open for a counter attack
    Last edited by Talya; 2013-10-27 at 04:44 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryu View Post
    That's paralysis resulting from a different effect, not paralysis as an effect in itself. Now you may or may not be able to iron heart surge the ability damage directly, but the paralysis resulting from it isn't the effect.
    It's also a moot point since paralysis (regardless of the cause) prevents movement, which is required for an Iron Heart Surge maneuver anyway.
    The Real Alignments Handbook, Save Points & Strife
    4e-Like Passives for 3.5e, Comprehensive Spell Points Tables, Line-of-Sight vs Line-of-Effect
    Rule #1 for conversing with me: As soon as you use all-caps for an entire statement or clause, you lose.
    Rule #2 for conversing with me: RAW-tards and other close-minded folks automatically lose.

If you're complaining about the OP's premise, please... stop, as you're probably not helping.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Ing View Post
    Ring of Energy Immunity: Cold.

Problem solved. Next question?
    IIRC, you need the cold subtype to be immune, not just cold immunity
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    "Whatever the plot requires" is the most pointless argument anyone can make. Yes, we know that--we know this is a story, not a strangely-presented history lesson. However, if we just say, "There's no point in discussing this because what will happen is what the plot demands" then there's no point in having *any* discussion on these boards, and Rich might as well close down the OotS part of the forum now!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

There are plenty of easy fixes to problem spells. Shivering Touch has several options - giving it a save and making it a penalty in the same vein as Ray of Enfeeblement are both excellent options.

But just because something can be fixed with an easy houserule doesn't mean that it's not broken...
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Samalpetey View Post
    IIRC, you need the cold subtype to be immune, not just cold immunity
    There's that, and also a ring that costs roughly a quarter of a 20th-level character's recommended WBL is probably not the best (or, at least, most efficient) counter to a third-level spell.
    Last edited by Karnith; 2013-10-27 at 06:04 PM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

16. - Top - End - #16

Daemon

The discussions on iron heart surge point out that 'effect' is not clearly defined and talk about IHS-ing the sun for exmple.

Nowhere does it say that effect only come from creatures. If you had a disease that inflicted the paralysed condition, a dragon infected by it would surely be immune to that effect.

Now, instead of having a rare disease, the dragon instead has a 0 dex score. This causes paralysis. Whether or not it can IHS it is irrelevant. This is not an effect of the shivering touch spell, it is a consequence of having 0 dex.

Is this a paralysis effect? I would still say yes. Part of me hopes that the designers saw the dragons' achillies heel and gave it a counter.

(Heck, you could theoretically give dragons immunity to dex damage since all dex damage really is is gradual paralysis.)

I'm not saying that you're wrong, it's just one interpretation, but it's one that saves a lot of headaches.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    typically, this also means you get to use it without a touch attack, and probably at close (25ft +5ft/2 levels) range. Touch spells usually have a touch attack in place of a save, not in addition to it.
    Slay Living is a touch spell and fort negates, in addition inflict spells are touch and have a save. Nights Caress deals physical damage and con damage but the save only effects the ability damage.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

The real fix was Mantle of the Icy Snow from Frostburn before the stupid stealth errata in Spell Compendium. It was instantaneous and gave you the cold subtype along with immunity to cold. Combine with Mantle of the Fiery Spirit from Sandstorm for the fire subtype (which wasn't ever changed) and you were forever more immune to both fire and cold with no downside.

And every dragon of even moderate age had both of them already cast on them.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    Slay Living is a touch spell and fort negates,
    Which is a death spell. Imagine the uproar if there was a death spell that was just a touch attack. Even disintegrate has a save vs turning into a pile of ash.

in addition inflict spells are touch and have a save.
    Save for will half.
    There's also the mass version, which is the same spell. Take away the save on regular inflict, and the mass inflict spells would (should) lose it too.
    Bing, auto damage against the whole party since mass inflict doesn't even require a touch attack.

For both of the above, there's also probably an element of rules carryover.
    Both of the examples are spells from older editions where they also required a touch attack and a save (different rulesets, different save, but a save nonetheless).

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    The real fix was Mantle of the Icy Snow from Frostburn before the stupid stealth errata in Spell Compendium. It was instantaneous and gave you the cold subtype along with immunity to cold. Combine with Mantle of the Fiery Spirit from Sandstorm for the fire subtype (which wasn't ever changed) and you were forever more immune to both fire and cold with no downside.
    There is one downside: The Fire and Cold domain power. You trade HP vulnerabilities for a particular status vulnerability (a fairly uncommon one, granted).
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2013-10-27 at 09:18 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Remember, it's not just dragons that it works on. Sure, a dragon of reasonable age can be expected to have protective magic items, or Scintillating Scales, or have gotten Mantle spells cast on them, or whatever... But a wild T. rex won't have any of those things, and it's unreasonable for a 5th-level wizard to one-shot one of those, too.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

I usually just scare my players off with a claim.

"The fastest you ever end an encounter is how fast your enemies will try to beat you. Consider the world to have rubber-band AI."

Sure your wizard may have shivering touch, but that Dark Changeling Deathstalker has a Death Attack DC of 40, through a legit build. Good luck making your save!

Basically if they start one slotting stuff, I make it clear I'm going to play rocket tag back.

And the DM....always wins in the end.
    Last edited by Morithias; 2013-10-27 at 09:26 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morithias View Post
    I usually just scare my players off with a claim.

"The fastest you ever end an encounter is how fast your enemies will try to beat you. Consider the world to have rubber-band AI."

Sure your wizard may have shivering touch, but that Dark Changeling Deathstalker has a Death Attack DC of 40, through a legit build. Good luck making your save!

Basically if they start one slotting stuff, I make it clear I'm going to play rocket tag back.

And the DM....always wins in the end.
    Eh, there is no need for jerk DMing tactics. Just ban the spell if you don't like it.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by olentu View Post
    Eh, there is no need for jerk DMing tactics. Just ban the spell if you don't like it.
    Or just talk with your players like a human being if you don't like what they're doing. These are ostensibly friends you want to have a fun time with, not children to be the target of fear tactics.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Or just talk with your players like a human being if you don't like what they're doing. These are ostensibly friends you want to have a fun time with, not children to be the target of fear tactics.
    My friends perfectly understand what I mean by it. It's not a fear tactic, it's simply that the world isn't stupid.

The more they optimize, the more the rest of the world optimizes.

I usually sum up my logic as follows.

"Do you honestly think your 18 year old mage is the first one to come up with that idea?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

My friends perfectly understand what I mean by it. It's not a fear tactic, it's simply that the world isn't stupid.

The more they optimize, the more the rest of the world optimizes.

I usually sum up my logic as follows.

"Do you honestly think your 18 year old mage is the first one to come up with that idea?"
    That isn't the point. The point is the tone you deliberately took of eventually winning by force of resources rather than merely scaling encounter difficulty to match your players power. I play high tier one all the time while fully expecting if not demanding the DM to make something that can challenge that. Deliberately going above and beyond making things even to ''win'' is indeed a fear tactic whether or not you acknowledge it as one.
    Last edited by ryu; 2013-10-27 at 09:47 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    Which is a death spell. Imagine the uproar if there was a death spell that was just a touch attack.
    Kinda like the uproar from dealing 3d6 dex damage(no save) which is effectively a death spell that's just a touch attack?

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    For both of the above, there's also probably an element of rules carryover.
    Both of the examples are spells from older editions where they also required a touch attack and a save (different rulesets, different save, but a save nonetheless).
    Vampiric Touch and Shocking Grasp had saving throws in earlier editions but they don't anymore. So the carry over argument is moot.

There's also the mass version, which is the same spell. Take away the save on regular inflict, and the mass inflict spells would (should) lose it too.
    Not really, if a spell has no saving throw because it requires an attack roll. There is no reason for "no save" to carry over to the mass version as its no longer touch. I could pick through the books and likely find a dozen or more touch spells that have a saving throw. The examples of saving and touch spells underscore the fact that being a touch spell doesn't automatically exempt it from having a saving throw.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

That isn't the point. The point is the tone you deliberately took of eventually winning by force of resources rather than merely scaling encounter difficulty to match your players power. I play high tier one all the time while fully expecting if not demanding the DM to make something that can challenge that. Deliberately going above and beyond making things even to ''win'' is indeed a fear tactic whether or not you acknowledge it as one.
    It's not about 'winning' it about making it clear to the players I don't accept cheap mary-sue style playing like this.

Imagine if you said "do whatever" to a player, and one player showed up with Pun-Pun.

Are you seriously not going to stop him?

That's the same way with me, and shivering touch and other such non-cinematic and cheap tricks.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It's not about 'winning' it about making it clear to the players I don't accept cheap mary-sue style playing like this.

Imagine if you said "do whatever" to a player, and one player showed up with Pun-Pun.

Are you seriously not going to stop him?

That's the same way with me, and shivering touch and other such non-cinematic and cheap tricks.
    I quite deliberately wouldn't. The fact that he brought that means he wants a game where pun-pun is a thing that can be done. His enemies will also be pun-pun and his allies will also be allowed to pun-pun. Pun-pun on pun-pun murder party. I've played in games like that. It was AWESOME!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

I quite deliberately wouldn't. The fact that he brought that means he wants a game where pun-pun is a thing that can be done. His enemies will also be pun-pun and his allies will also be allowed to pun-pun. Pun-pun on pun-pun murder party. I've played in games like that. It was AWESOME!
    And how is that different from me scaling my encounters to similar "instant kill" techniques when the PCs are using instant win techniques?