Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XI - Can Now Argue Three Times Per Page

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    And that is why every claim is linked to a particular strip. We will remove claims if contradicted by newer evidence, but not for the mere speculation that something might have changed. For example, we haven't seen Elan's rapier in the past 13 strips either, but we're not about to remove it from his list unless there's evidence that he no longer has it. Even if it's possible that it has been dropped or disarmed or traded for a yoyo or something.
    Yes. Makes sense to me.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Troll in the Playground

Precisely. We could discuss extending this principle to "All members of Team Tarquin", or possibly to "All goblins closely associated with Redcloak".
    I would support these.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Ogre in the Playground

It seems Haley's character sheet forgot to include the two big gemstones (that look like crystal balls to me) she's got from her mother. Could you please add them?

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ogre in the Playground

I've updated Laurin's stats to reflect her advanced age.

I've just had a thought: Would the fact Soon Kim adventured with Girard and Kraagor be enough evidence that both of them are non-evil? I know it's never spelt out if he fell or not by associating with them, but I think it would be prudent to require evidence of falling in that regard.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

5. - Top - End - #665
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    I've updated Laurin's stats to reflect her advanced age.

I've just had a thought: Would the fact Soon Kim adventured with Girard and Kraagor be enough evidence that both of them are non-evil? I know it's never spelt out if he fell or not by associating with them, but I think it would be prudent to require evidence of falling in that regard.
    It might be evidence that they were non-evil when they adventured together, but not that they remained so after the group split up - and this thread attempts to record current state, or state at time of death, I guess.

Girard is suspiciously absent from the Giant's list of Neutral characters, and I think there's enough that's suspicious about the Girard clan's behaviour that we cannot simply assume he is Good.

So I would suggest no. Sorry.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

What feat is that?
    Bounding Assault.
    Let me tell you, "safe" is for NPCs. I live on the edge.

7. - Top - End - #667

Quote Originally Posted by CaDzilla View Post
    Shouldn't all kobolds have either an intelligence score of 12+ or ranks in speak language if they're speaking common?
    They can put a rank in linguistic, man.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Titan in the Playground

Quoth Kurald Galain:

Interesting question. But, aren't most of Belkar's opponents simple low-level mooks?
    Hm. Against a wight (chosen because he specifically said that he doesn't like fighting undead, thus presumably not a favored enemy), he kills in three hits. Wights have 26 HP. If we assume that that's two main-hand attacks and one off-hand, and that he has no damage bonus other than strength and weapon enhancement, then he's dealing at most 9 + 2X + Y + 2.5S, where X is the enhancement bonus on his primary weapon, Y is the enhancement bonus on his secondary, and S is his strength bonus.

This means that if his daggers are both +5, then his strength is at least 12; if they're both +4, then his strength is at least 14; if they're +3, then it's at least 18; if they're +2, it's at least 20; and if they're only +1, then it's at least 22. Before items, his Strength can be at most 19, which means that he must either have an item of Str +4, or an item of Str +2 and at least one +2 dagger, or at least one +3 dagger. If we're still going by his maximum strength being 17, as listed on the first page, then that means that his better dagger is at least +4 and his worse dagger is at least +2.

Alternately, he appears to kill a medium zombie (16 HP) in two hits. Unfortunately, though, that doesn't give us any new lower bounds, compared to the wight.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

9. - Top - End - #669
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Hm. Against a wight (chosen because he specifically said that he doesn't like fighting undead, thus presumably not a favored enemy), he kills in three hits. Wights have 26 HP. If we assume that that's two main-hand attacks and one off-hand, and that he has no damage bonus other than strength and weapon enhancement, then he's dealing at most 9 + 2X + Y + 2.5S, where X is the enhancement bonus on his primary weapon, Y is the enhancement bonus on his secondary, and S is his strength bonus.

This means that if his daggers are both +5, then his strength is at least 12; if they're both +4, then his strength is at least 14; if they're +3, then it's at least 18; if they're +2, it's at least 20; and if they're only +1, then it's at least 22. Before items, his Strength can be at most 19, which means that he must either have an item of Str +4, or an item of Str +2 and at least one +2 dagger, or at least one +3 dagger. If we're still going by his maximum strength being 17, as listed on the first page, then that means that his better dagger is at least +4 and his worse dagger is at least +2.

Alternately, he appears to kill a medium zombie (16 HP) in two hits. Unfortunately, though, that doesn't give us any new lower bounds, compared to the wight.
    Nitpick: that's either a ghoul or a ghast, not a zombie.
    I think I just failed a Spot check.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Souhiro View Post
    That's not a thing.
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    That's not a thing.
    Yes, linguistics is a Pathfinder thing. In 3.5 it's Speak Language.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

12. - Top - End - #672
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclowningham View Post
    Just idly speculating here, but...is there any precedent for the PP required by a spell like Wormhole to scale with the distance travelled and/or the length of time open? If it worked that way, she spent a huge chunk of PP bringing the army, a smaller amount bringing in Miron and Kilkil, and then a relatively meager amount each time she used it chasing the allosaurus. Even if the power is relatively high level, she wouldn't need to have a gargantuan PP reserve. Just a thought.
    Yes. Augments can do basically everything thematically related to improving the spell.

13. - Top - End - #673

Quote Originally Posted by Souhiro View Post
    That's what he said.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Julio Scoundrel has a Chaos Sabre.

I have no idea what a Chaos Sabre does, unless it's an Anarchic Sabre by another name.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

15. - Top - End - #675
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post

I have no idea what a Chaos Sabre does, unless it's an Anarchic Sabre by another name.
    Also, there's no standard weapon called a sabre. So basically it's a custom magic weapon, unless someone can find it in a splatbook.

16. - Top - End - #676

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Also, there's no standard weapon called a sabre. So basically it's a custom magic weapon, unless someone can find it in a splatbook.
    The saber (sic) is in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting -- at least the 3.0 version that I have. Medium, 1d8, crit 19-20/x2, slashing and piercing.

17. - Top - End - #677

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post

What I'm questioning is whether Julio should be able to pun-duel with it.

When Julio first explained the DS class, he said you can substitute the charisma if you're wielding a rapier. Not a sword in general.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

He's a level 10 dashing swordsman. That may expand his options.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

19. - Top - End - #679
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by orrion View Post

When Julio first explained the DS class, he said you can substitute the charisma if you're wielding a rapier. Not a sword in general.
    I'm thinking this is one of those cases where the Giant wrote a throwaway piece of dialogue more than five years ago and has forgotten the particulars. Or we can pretend that a saber is a reskinned rapier.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by orrion View Post

It's very possible that, like some classes, the Dashing Swordsman merely requires a blade which can be finessed. Rapiers are simply the most common, but at least one class (Dervish) extends the option to Scimitars, which I believe are listed as a weapon equivalent for sabres in one of the older books.

21. - Top - End - #681

RedWizardGuy

The pun there is 'weave'. Theres Chaos Weave weapons in 4th edition dunno about third
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

22. - Top - End - #682
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    The pun there is 'weave'. Theres Chaos Weave weapons in 4th edition dunno about third
    The pun's weave because he's on a woven carpet.

Not sure why the puns need to be discussed here, though.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2013-11-20 at 09:41 PM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coat View Post
    It might be evidence that they were non-evil when they adventured together, but not that they remained so after the group split up - and this thread attempts to record current state, or state at time of death, I guess.

Girard is suspiciously absent from the Giant's list of Neutral characters, and I think there's enough that's suspicious about the Girard clan's behaviour that we cannot simply assume he is Good.

Well, Rich stated in the last part of that Geekadamia interview that more will be revealed to show Girard as less paranoid.

24. - Top - End - #684

Just a quick question: How do we know that Laurin's healing power is Adjust Body as opposed to, say, True Metabolism (which grants regeneration 10)?
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

25. - Top - End - #685

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by CaDzilla View Post
    Well, Rich stated in the last part of that Geekadamia interview that more will be revealed to show Girard as less paranoid.
    I believe the contention that he and/or his clan are non-Good stems more from the fact that their M.O. is to seduce and procreate with people outside the clan, then steal the resulting children.

While it's certainly possible that they remain Good under the setting's definition (depends on the DM/author's interpretation), that's ... well, suffice to say that it's one of those issues that likely would cause extremely heated, probably violent debate.

26. - Top - End - #686

Quote Originally Posted by Da'Shain View Post
    I believe the contention that he and/or his clan are non-Good stems more from the fact that their M.O. is to seduce and procreate with people outside the clan, then steal the resulting children.
    They steal inanimate valuables, too.
    I like semi-colons; they make me feel smart.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coat View Post

Hmm, it would suggest, however, that Kraagor was nonevil when he died, as at the time he was still adventuring with Soon. I'm still not sure it's enough to put it down, but Kraagor, unlike Girard, didn't have several decades after they split to change alignment.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    Just a quick question: How do we know that Laurin's healing power is Adjust Body as opposed to, say, True Metabolism (which grants regeneration 10)?
    She asks Tarquin to wait until she has finished healing, which suggests it is not a regeneration effect. It makes no sense to ask him to wait possibly several rounds while she passively regenerates.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Troll in the Playground

Let's put this simply, alright?

• We have pretty conclusive evidence that, at one point, Kraagor and Girard were both non-evil.
    • Kraagor had no chance to change alignment since then.
    • We have no admissible evidence (see FAQ) that Girard changed alignments.

So, by the rules, we should list them both as non-evil until and unless we have reason to believe otherwise.

30. - Top - End - #690

Quote Originally Posted by Szar_Lakol View Post
    She asks Tarquin to wait until she has finished healing, which suggests it is not a regeneration effect. It makes no sense to ask him to wait possibly several rounds while she passively regenerates.
    See, I read that the other way. To me, "finish healing" implies some healing process that takes more than one round, so Tarquin can act in the middle of it. If she acted before Tarquin, she would have already healed. If she acted after Tarquin, she would have said "Wait, I haven't healed yet!", not, "Wait, I need to finish healing!"

Lego Ergo Sum