New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XI - Can Now Argue Three Times Per Page

If Roy readied the action "charge at Miron when he starts casting," would he be able to make an attack of opportunity at the end of it? Or does the spell resolve first?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

2. - Top - End - #782
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    If Roy readied the action "charge at Miron when he starts casting," would he be able to make an attack of opportunity at the end of it? Or does the spell resolve first?
    As I recall, charging is a fullround action, and only standard actions can be readied.
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

3. - Top - End - #783
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoa View Post
    As I recall, charging is a fullround action, and only standard actions can be readied.
    I am not sure if it applies, but you can make a special Charge if you are restricted to a single Standard Action. This special Charge only allows your normal movement (instead of twice) and a single attack as per normal. I am not positive you can prepare such a special charge with a Readied Action.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ogre in the Playground

We know from OtOotPCs that you can ready a charge at least in that book. That suggest Rich is OK with partial charges being readied action.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

At least we know now that Tarquin does not have Exceptional Deflection, since he couldn't deflect or snatch a harpoon.

(If that was a joke? Well...)
    Let me tell you, "safe" is for NPCs. I live on the edge.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Barbarian in the Playground

Belkar doesn't have a constitution listed. O.o Weird...
    3DS Friend Code: 1907-9395-1731
    Pokemon X Info: Modern Pattern Vivillon & Flying-Type Friend Safari (w/ Farfetch'd & Swanna)

Avatar: Thanks to asdflove for my avatar. ^_^

7. - Top - End - #787

Quote Originally Posted by Living Oxymoron View Post
    At least we know now that Tarquin does not have Exceptional Deflection, since he couldn't deflect or snatch a harpoon
    He didn't try and fail, he didn't try. You don't have to.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Belkar doesn't have a constitution listed. O.o Weird...
    We generally don't list ability scores we know nothing about. Even if we guessed that his current score is like 1 or 2 because of blood drain, it looks like that's about to be corrected.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

9. - Top - End - #789
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    He didn't try and fail, he didn't try. You don't have to.
    Besides, it's possible that the ballista bolt was aimed at his square, not at him (and hitting the cloak is just artistic).
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #790

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Besides, it's possible that the ballista bolt was aimed at his square, not at him (and hitting the cloak is just artistic).
    Probably. The last thing Elan wants is to catch Tarquin, they're trying to get away from him right now.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

11. - Top - End - #791

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    [SIZE="4"]

Malack (Deceased), pseudonym
    Evil, Lizardfolk
    :Wait, aren't you a yua-
    : Before you violate copyright, I should clarify that I am not the result of a union between a snake and human, but a "flap-footed" lizardfolk.
    : Well now I just feel silly getting you that python for your birthday.

12. - Top - End - #792

It was never established that Malack was yuan-ti. As far as we know, he was just an unusual lizardfolk. There are real lizards with no legs at all. (I realize the use of "flap-footed" implies you already knew that.)
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ogre in the Playground

For Haley's armor, based on the price of 16,000 gp (which we can assume is fair both because the scene was intended to show Haley bargaining well, and the fact that for the belt he started off 50% too high, which would correspond to a price of 16,667 gp for the armor), her armor probably has a total magic bonus of+4. Since fire resistance is +18,000 gp for the cost, the heat resistance it provides is either something homebrewed or out of some other sourcebook, or is the 3.0 version which I think was a +1 ability. I checked sandstorm and there is the "cool" ability that eliminates the -4 check to fortitude saves against the elements because of armor that costs 2400 gold to add on as well.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    For Haley's armor, based on the price of 16,000 gp (which we can assume is fair both because the scene was intended to show Haley bargaining well, and the fact that for the belt he started off 50% too high, which would correspond to a price of 16,667 gp for the armor), her armor probably has a total magic bonus of+4. Since fire resistance is +18,000 gp for the cost, the heat resistance it provides is either something homebrewed or out of some other sourcebook, or is the 3.0 version which I think was a +1 ability. I checked sandstorm and there is the "cool" ability that eliminates the -4 check to fortitude saves against the elements because of armor that costs 2400 gold to add on as well.
    I think it's pretty certainly the elements one, basically because they would definitely have said it was fire resistance if it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ogre in the Playground

So can we infer anything from Tarquin sundering a +3 Silver Rapier in a single strike?

MATH EDIT: A +3 Rapier has a Hardness of 16 and 35 hitpoints. This means Tarquin would have to deal 51 damage to break it. Even assuming he has a +5 Dagger and rolled max damage, that would imply he has a strength of 94. I think we can safely rule that out, so then is this just a scene of drama? He can't apply power attack to a dagger, so that's out. What else would explain it?
    Last edited by RMS Oceanic; 2013-12-07 at 10:10 AM.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

16. - Top - End - #796
    Orc in the Playground

So can we infer anything from Tarquin sundering a +3 Silver Rapier in a single strike?

MATH EDIT: A +3 Rapier has a Hardness of 16 and 35 hitpoints. This means Tarquin would have to deal 51 damage to break it. Even assuming he has a +5 Dagger and rolled max damage, that would imply he has a strength of 94. I think we can safely rule that out, so then is this just a scene of drama? He can't apply power attack to a dagger, so that's out. What else would explain it?
    A +5 dagger of Plot Advancement could do it. Alternatively, a dagger that has a bonus on sundering. Tarquin himself also should get a circumstance bonus because this is important - it's about his legacy. Offscreen buffing? I don't think there was anything that was particularly damaging to Elan's rapier before.

Laurin keeps casting her wormholes like she has a fetisj for them, even after Durkon's draining attack (and perhaps she even used one to get back to Tarquin down in the desert). Can that tell us anything? It's rather relevant for the coming fight.
    Last edited by Silverionmox; 2013-12-07 at 10:18 AM.
    And once again, Probability proves itself willing to sneak into a back alley and service Drama as would a copper-piece harlot.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverionmox View Post
    A +5 dagger of Plot Advancement could do it. Alternatively, a dagger that has a bonus on sundering. Tarquin himself also should get a circumstance bonus because this is important - it's about his legacy. Offscreen buffing? I don't think there was anything that was particularly damaging to Elan's rapier before.

Laurin keeps casting her wormholes like she has a fetisj for them, even after Durkon's draining attack (and perhaps she even used one to get back to Tarquin down in the desert). Can that tell us anything? It's rather relevant for the coming fight.
    Wormhole can't, not directly, but her use of Disintegrate can: She got two negative energy levels, and thus has lost access to two of her highest level powers, but she can still manifest Disintegrate. This raises her minimum level to 13, to have spare powers to keep Disintegrate handy.
    - The Flying Kipper

18. - Top - End - #798

ClericGirl

• He could have a level in Marshal and add his Cha to the opposed roll, but not the damage.
    • He could be using Stone Dragon's Fury or Mountain Hammer for extra damage: or at least he could if he were still on the ground.
    • There are several options for adding energy damage, but that is generally shown in the comic.
    • He could be binding Aym and suppressing the sign, but that doesn't really fit with what we've seen thus far for T.
    • There are also weapons that are more effective for sundering, but the only such dagger I know of is Dragon Mag. material (I think there might be a PF version too).
    • If the dagger is adamantine, it would ignore the hardness*

*There are a host of other ways to ignore a % or static amount of hardness, but they're all far more exotic and less effective below 20 hardness.

The italics seem the best place to start, but on its own seems insufficient.
    Last edited by Hecuba; 2013-12-07 at 10:45 AM.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hecuba View Post
    • He could have a level in Marshal and add his Cha to the opposed roll, but not the damage.
    • He could be using Stone Dragon's Fury or Mountain Hammer for extra damage: or at least he could if he were still on the ground.
    • There are several options for adding energy damage, but that is generally shown in the comic.
    • He could be binding Aym and suppressing the sign, but that doesn't really fit with what we've seen thus far for T.
    • If the dagger is adamantine, it would ignore the hardness*

*There are a host of other ways to ignore a % or static amount of hardness, but they're all far more exotic and less effective below 20 hardness.
    Ooh, I forgot about Adamantine, that's a good catch. However that would reduce his strength to 62, still insanely high.
    - The Flying Kipper

20. - Top - End - #800
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Is there some ability he could be making use of that allows him to deal critical hits to an object? That might explain part of it.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Titan in the Playground

Not only does he sunder the sword, he also injures Elan in the same swing: He has a new blood mark on his face that wasn't there before. I expect there's probably a feat somewhere to do that, but I don't know what it would be.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

22. - Top - End - #802

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Not only does he sunder the sword, he also injures Elan in the same swing: He has a new blood mark on his face that wasn't there before. I expect there's probably a feat somewhere to do that, but I don't know what it would be.
    Combat Brute (feat) or Cipher Adept's (bad PRC) Combination Strike come to mind.

Ooh, I forgot about Adamantine, that's a good catch. However that would reduce his strength to 62, still insanely high.
    Found a couple more damage increasing options:
    • Sundering weapon-- MIC 44 -- +1d6 and grants Imp. Sunder
    • Marshal Major aura - untyped attack damage increase - scales from +1 tp +4
    Last edited by Hecuba; 2013-12-07 at 11:01 AM.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    That's a good point: Could I have looked at this wrong and this is an abstraction of a full attack? Hit sword - Break sword - Slash face?

That would bring his strength down to (almost) sane levels. If he breaks it in two hits, that's a maximum of 18 damage + Strength X 2, giving him a strength of 28. Very high, but attainable.

However that's speculation.
    - The Flying Kipper

24. - Top - End - #804

PaladinGuy

If the dagger were a Sunblade analogue he could use Power Attack.

Injuring Elan as well indicates either the Cleave feat or a sufficiently high BAB to attack multiple targets.

25. - Top - End - #805

Didn't Rich say that the dagger did 1d4+plot damage?

26. - Top - End - #806

RedWizardGuy

While not what you're looking for, really, I think it shows that he has "Improved Sundering" as a feat. (not already noted for him on page 1)

That would bring his strength down to (almost) sane levels. If he breaks it in two hits, that's a maximum of 18 damage + Strength X 2, giving him a strength of 28. Very high, but attainable.
    For an epic level fighter, 28 is easily attainable... so I think this is probably the answer. Which raises the question of how many rounds are shown in the strip, but that's for a different thread.

Start with 18 and assume the +1 goes to strength each time... plus a belt of giant strength... (hell a +6 is only 36k gold)... 28 is easy.
    Last edited by Gusion; 2013-12-07 at 11:03 AM.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

There's also this: Sundering Elan, while he had a melee weapon...

Then grabing Haley with both arms, while she held melee weapon...

...both done without a single damned needed AoO....

Aren't there specific feat requirements he'd need for that?
    "When will I ever stop telling stories? Well, you see..."

That's what loyal teammates do for each other, isn't it? You know, when they're not busy getting new haircuts.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ogre in the Playground

Power Attack + Improved Sunder for Elan, Improved Unarmed Strike + Improved Grapple for Haley. This would also fit with his teaching Grapple techniques to Malack.

Dunno about breaking her arm - *Shudder* - I can't recall rules for stuff like that.
    - The Flying Kipper

29. - Top - End - #809
    Dwarf in the Playground

Figured this would be the place to post this. Apologies if this data is already known.

I went strip by strip logging every power Lauren used, with its level:
    Spoiler
    Show
    disintegrate - 6
    wormhole - 9
    dimension door - 4
    single stun - ?
    dimension door - 4
    telekinesis - 3
    dispel - 3
    body adjustment - 1
    brain lock - 2
    mass stun - ?
    wormhole - 9
    wormhole - 9
    wormhole - 9
    wormhole - 9
    brain lock - 2
    brain lock - 2
    wormhole - 9
    mind probe - 5
    disentegrate - 6
    big wormhole - 9
    teleport - 8 (This is presumably how Lauren got to the EoB)

I then used this program:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Code:
    #include <fstream>
    #include <iostream>
    #include <string>
    using namespace std;

int powerPoints(int level){
        return (level*2) - 1;
    }

int cost(string line){
        char dash = *"-";
        char space = *" ";
        char letter;
        int number;
        for (int i = 0; i < line.length(); i++){
            if (line[i] == dash){
                if (line[i+1] == space){
                    letter = line[i+2];
                    number = letter;
                    //restrict to numbers: 48 - 57
                    if ((number <= 57)&&(number >= 48)){
                        //-48, *2, -1
                        number = ((number-48)*2-1);
                        return number;
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }

int main(){
        ifstream lauren;
        lauren.open("lauren");
        int PowerPoints = 0;
        int pointOfPower;
        string power;

while (!lauren.eof()){
            getline(lauren,power);
            PowerPoints += cost(power);
        }
        cout << PowerPoints << endl;
    }

to analyze the data and came up with a minimum power cost of 199, plus the cost of the unknown powers, plus the cost of whatever augmentation were made. A 20th level Psion has a minimum of 343 power points per day, so she's nowhere near out, which supprised me because I went into this expecting to find her out or nearly out of power points.

Just food for thought.

30. - Top - End - #810

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by R. Malcovitch View Post
    Figured this would be the place to post this. Apologies if this data is already known.

I went strip by strip logging every power Lauren used, with its level:
    Spoiler
    Show
    disintegrate - 6
    wormhole - 9
    dimension door - 4
    single stun - ?
    dimension door - 4
    telekinesis - 3
    dispel - 3
    body adjustment - 1
    brain lock - 2
    mass stun - ?
    wormhole - 9
    wormhole - 9
    wormhole - 9
    wormhole - 9
    brain lock - 2
    brain lock - 2
    wormhole - 9
    mind probe - 5
    disentegrate - 6
    big wormhole - 9
    teleport - 8 (This is presumably how Lauren got to the EoB)

I then used this program:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Code:
    #include <fstream>
    #include <iostream>
    #include <string>
    using namespace std;

int powerPoints(int level){
        return (level*2) - 1;
    }

int cost(string line){
        char dash = *"-";
        char space = *" ";
        char letter;
        int number;
        for (int i = 0; i < line.length(); i++){
            if (line[i] == dash){
                if (line[i+1] == space){
                    letter = line[i+2];
                    number = letter;
                    //restrict to numbers: 48 - 57
                    if ((number <= 57)&&(number >= 48)){
                        //-48, *2, -1
                        number = ((number-48)*2-1);
                        return number;
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }

int main(){
        ifstream lauren;
        lauren.open("lauren");
        int PowerPoints = 0;
        int pointOfPower;
        string power;

while (!lauren.eof()){
            getline(lauren,power);
            PowerPoints += cost(power);
        }
        cout << PowerPoints << endl;
    }

to analyze the data and came up with a minimum power cost of 199, plus the cost of the unknown powers, plus the cost of whatever augmentation were made. A 20th level Psion has a minimum of 343 power points per day, so she's nowhere near out, which supprised me because I went into this expecting to find her out or nearly out of power points.

Just food for thought.
    What happened to that argument about Laurin losing her top two powers to Durkon's level drain? If that still holds true then Wormhole can't be a 9th level power, right?

Oh, and I also heard mention that she lost the powers' cost in PP when she was drained. Did you include that?
    Last edited by orrion; 2013-12-07 at 11:31 AM.