New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XI - Can Now Argue Three Times Per Page

It's a waste of time to debate the various levels and augmentations that wormhole might have. We'll never know the answer and this thread doesn't run on speculation. Especially if you're asking which of two augmentations styles it might have, knowing that the two versions are literally indistinguishable in every way except for the level number next to the power in the rulebook.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2013-12-10 at 06:15 PM.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Living Oxymoron View Post
    Are you sure that breaking an arm is only a matter of strength? Are you sure that there is no technique involved in such action?
    I suspect that anyone can attempt it, but it would provoke an AoO, and it does have a fairly hefty Strength DC for someone without boosts of some sort.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

3. - Top - End - #903

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    I suspect that anyone can attempt it, but it would provoke an AoO, and it does have a fairly hefty Strength DC for someone without boosts of some sort.
    Iron chain is a DC 26 so I would guess bone would be ~21 or so. With Improved Grapple (which he has) and an epic-level Strength score (which we suspect, but no actual proof) it wouldn't be too difficult.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

4. - Top - End - #904

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    Iron chain is a DC 26 so I would guess bone would be ~21 or so. With Improved Grapple (which he has) and an epic-level Strength score (which we suspect, but no actual proof) it wouldn't be too difficult.
    When I said "boosts of some sort", I was including stat-boosting items and the ability boosts characters get. Basically, my point is that this would be really hard for someone capped at 18 STR, like real people.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Basically, my point is that this would be really hard for someone capped at 18 STR, like real people.
    For real people, you'd have to hit them, not wrestle them, unless you got all of their weight acting on one bone at a really bad angle, which in the panel Tarquin doesn't.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

6. - Top - End - #906

BardGuy

When I said "boosts of some sort", I was including stat-boosting items and the ability boosts characters get. Basically, my point is that this would be really hard for someone capped at 18 STR, like real people.
    Ah, I understand now. Assuming DC 21, the average man capped at STR 18 would only be able to do it on a roll of 17 or better. My initial point was that it didn't require any particular skills or feats, just a high enough Strength modifier.

Tarquin doesn't seem to be straining himself when he breaks Haley's arm, he seem to do it off-handedly (sorry ). STR higher than 18? Probably. Unfortunately, the DC to break bone isn't listed so it would be up to DM fiat which means we still don't have anything more on Tarquin's Strength score. Between the rules on breaking and in-comic ease that he breaks an arm, I would point to this as support of having 18+ Str.

What are everyone's thoughts?
    Last edited by illyahr; 2013-12-11 at 12:23 PM.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Barbarian in the Playground

Has anyone brought up the Variant for specific Damage from the DMG?

Sorry if it has been brought up. Spoilered for convenience.
    Spoiler
    Show

Pg. 27 DMG

VARIANT: DAMAGE TO SPECIFIC AREAS
    Sometimes, despite the abstract nature of combat, you’re going to
    want to apply damage to specific parts of the body, such as when a
    character’s hands are thrust into flames, when he steps on caltrops, or
    when he peeks through a hole in the wall and someone shoots an
    arrow into the hole from the other side. (This situation comes up most
    frequently with devious traps meant to chop at feet, smash fingers, or
    the like.)
    When a specific body part takes damage, you can apply a –2
    penalty to any action that the character undertakes using that
    portion of his body. For example, if a character’s fingers get slashed,
    he makes attacks rolls with a weapon in that hand at –2 and he takes
    a –2 penalty on skill checks involving the use of his hands. If a character
    steps on a caltrop, he takes a –2 penalty on skill checks involving
    the use of his feet (in addition to the effects described in the
    Player’s Handbook).
    Chapter 8 of this book defines some effects of damage to specific
    body parts, such as what happens when a character is blinded or deafened.
    In addition to that information, use the table below as a guide to
    what rolls are modified by injuries to what body parts.
    This penalty lasts until the character heals, either magically or by
    resting. For a minor wound, such as stepping on a caltrop, a DC 15
    Heal check, 1 point of magical healing, or a day of rest removes the
    penalties.
    You can allow a character to make a Fortitude save (DC 10 +
    damage taken) to “tough it out” and ignore the penalty. Also, these
    penalties shouldn’t stack—two hand injuries should not impose a
    –4 penalty.

From the accompanying table.

Arm: Climb and Swim checks; attack rolls; Strength checks.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Roy has fewer than 150 hitpoints.

Seems like he would have significantly more than 47 though (kind of obvious, but...) since Durkon avoided CCW.

If he weren't a fighter, we could infer quite a bit about his CON score. =/
    Last edited by RickDaily12; 2013-12-13 at 10:38 AM.
    "When will I ever stop telling stories? Well, you see..."

That's what loyal teammates do for each other, isn't it? You know, when they're not busy getting new haircuts.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RickDaily12 View Post

Seems like he would have significantly more than 47 though (kind of obvious, but...) since Durkon avoided CCW.

Actually, he has less than 140 HP, if we take into account that Durkon is a 14 level cleric.
    Let me tell you, "safe" is for NPCs. I live on the edge.

10. - Top - End - #910

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RickDaily12 View Post

How does that show Roy having fewer than 150 hit points? Are you assuming he was healed to full from the Heal spell? That is plausible, but not certain. Damage doesn't always leave visible wounds, especially from spells. For instance, V hits Miko with a Scorching Ray here, and she doesn't show any additional damage.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ah, right- I forgot that Durkon only gets the +1 level boost to good spells. He'd get a +1 level boost to Healing spells if he had the Healing Domain, which he does not.

Quote Originally Posted by orrion View Post
    How does that show Roy having fewer than 150 hit points? Are you assuming he was healed to full from the Heal spell? That is plausible, but not certain. Damage doesn't always leave visible wounds, especially from spells. For instance, V hits Miko with a Scorching Ray here, and she doesn't show any additional damage.
    One, that was a comic shown several years ago and several hundred strips.

Then, we have here, here, here, here, here... cases where damage was spell-based, others not. And I'm sure I can continue to dig up more and more examples. The point is, we see healing to what we infer as full hitpoint totals.

And then we also have instances of people whom surely have fewer hitpoints than Roy, spell damage or no spell damage, are visibly healed at their maximum hitpoints. We have even just seen an instance of a character inferring max hitpoints based on pure sight.

So..... Heal as a spell seems pretty decisive. I can think of no instance where we have seen only a partial healing of the character's HP total in where we know for certain that they were not fully healed. As in, there were never any remaining visible wounds after the casting, which applies in the case of both living and undead creatures.
    Last edited by RickDaily12; 2013-12-14 at 01:54 AM.
    "When will I ever stop telling stories? Well, you see..."

That's what loyal teammates do for each other, isn't it? You know, when they're not busy getting new haircuts.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

While I really think that Roy has more than 140 HP (especially because of the recent events), I must say that this example you used is not very convincing. V hits Miko in her back. The wounds should be there, but she keeps facing us the whole time, and we can't see them.

13. - Top - End - #913

We have enough facts about Jacinda to at least determine her race, class, and possessions

Also, should we make a placeholder for shoulder-pad guy? We have enough knowledge of his possessions and race.

And does Tarquin really have infinite deflection? If that's the case, he would have blocked all of the arrows rather than catching only two

14. - Top - End - #914

Quote Originally Posted by CaDzilla View Post
    We have enough facts about Jacinda to at least determine her race, class, and possessions

Also, should we make a placeholder for shoulder-pad guy? We have enough knowledge of his possessions and race.

And does Tarquin really have infinite deflection? If that's the case, he would have blocked all of the arrows rather than catching only two
    Deflect Arrows only allows you to stop one ranged attack per round.
    That Tarquin stopped any number higher than one shows he has Infinite Deflection, unless you know of another non-epic Deflect Arrows related feat.

15. - Top - End - #915

Quote Originally Posted by Tonymitsu View Post
    Deflect Arrows only allows you to stop one ranged attack per round.
    That Tarquin stopped any number higher than one shows he has Infinite Deflection, unless you know of another non-epic Deflect Arrows related feat.
    Snatch arrows. Knowing that Tarquin wanted to make that encounter drive home the futility of the Order's resistance, he would have used that technique to deflect/catch ALL of the arrows. It would establish invulnerability towards the order. What's more badass: catching two arrows while the rest hit your teammates, or deflecting all arrows being thrown at you like you're Neo?

16. - Top - End - #916
    Titan in the Playground

Snatch Arrows has the same limitation as Deflect Arrows. It still wouldn't let him do it twice.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

17. - Top - End - #917

Because this comic always follows the rules of D&D!

18. - Top - End - #918
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

This topic does. Otherwise the top posts would just say "it's all homebrew."

Anyway, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Deflect Arrows only works on arrows that will hit you unless you deflect them. The arrows Tarquin didn't deflect didn't hit him, which means they weren't going to hit him, which means he couldn't have deflected them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

19. - Top - End - #919

Can we label Miron as a sorcerer? If he's a wizard, then he wouldn't have to worry about money. He could just plane shift to the elemental plane of earth and pull out a diamond the size of a watermelon. We also know that if he was a wizard, he would not have conjuration as a barred school or else he wouldn't be able to craft a contingent teleport.

20. - Top - End - #920

Can we label Miron as a sorcerer? If he's a wizard, then he wouldn't have to worry about money. He could just plane shift to the elemental plane of earth and pull out a diamond the size of a watermelon. We also know that if he was a wizard, he would not have conjuration as a barred school or else he wouldn't be able to craft a contingent teleport.
    What's to stop a sorcerer from plane shifting?
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

21. - Top - End - #921

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoa View Post
    What's to stop a sorcerer from plane shifting?
    Not instinctively knowing plane shift.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Ogre in the Playground

And yet Zz'dtri had plane shift and continued working for Nale because "the pay's good." Assuming everyone makes optimal choices is incorrect for this comic.

He could even have plane shift and just not have the coordinates for the plane of earth.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2013-12-14 at 11:17 AM.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ogre in the Playground

We don't know that Zz'dtri worked for Nale because "the pay' good". He was offering an incentive for Durkon to join, not stating the reason why he was Nale's employee himself. Besides, the trick might not even have occurred to him.

There are better reasons to label Miron a sorcerer, though, but even they are not concrete enough to be certain. (His laidback attitude is indicative of high Cha, and his speech patterns are not indicative of high Int.)

So not using plane shift for picking up diamonds the size of ostrich eggs isn't really a disqualifier.

24. - Top - End - #924

Quote Originally Posted by Szar_Lakol View Post

So not using plane shift for picking up diamonds the size of ostrich eggs isn't really a disqualifier.
    But in this uni Miron's key character trait is greed. If he wanted money, he could easily just plane shift to the elemental plane of platinum and break off a chunk of the ground.

25. - Top - End - #925

AssassinGuy

But in this uni Miron's key character trait is greed. If he wanted money, he could easily just plane shift to the elemental plane of platinum and break off a chunk of the ground.
    The trait of greed doesn't go away just because you have the means to get rich.

26. - Top - End - #926

The trait of greed doesn't go away just because you have the means to get rich.
    What would you rather do? Live in the desert for 35 years, constantly surviving several wars every 2 or 3 years, hoping to get profit, or sell a bunch of platinum every week and definitely make a profit.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Pixie in the Playground

Magically increasing his wealth and participating in the three empires scheme are not mutually exclusive. Having money doesn't mean he doesn't want more money, and he could have additional alternative motivations for participating in the scheme - just like every participant whose motives we know.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Allow me to answer with your own quote...

Because this comic always follows the rules of D&D!
    ...and to expand it to:

Because this comic always takes advantage of every cheesy breach that D&D has!

29. - Top - End - #929

Except Rich has said that if a wizard of V's level wanted money, he would shift to the elemental plane of earth to grab a big diamond
    Last Sentence

30. - Top - End - #930

Planetar

Greed isn't always logical.

Look at stores. You can spend an hour to save a few pounds, when you could have earned a lot more in the same time period. Logically it doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe Miron simply enjoys it this way?