New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XI - Can Now Argue Three Times Per Page

Rich was talking about how it works in D&D as opposed to OOTS. As evidenced by the adventurers hanging around in taverns past fifth level.
    Last edited by Shale; 2013-12-14 at 01:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

2. - Top - End - #932
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CaDzilla View Post
    Except Rich has said that if a wizard of V's level wanted money, he would shift to the elemental plane of earth to grab a big diamond
    Last Sentence
    You've got it upside down, man. OOTS specifically DOES have high-level characters in taverns (because it's a parody) -- which Rich says is the exception as normally, high level wizards can just plane shift for cash.

(Of course, for PCs, such trips usually involve plenty of random encounters.)

3. - Top - End - #933
    Titan in the Playground

Not instinctively knowing plane shift.
    Why would a greedy sorcerer that wants to use the plane shift to get rich not take plane shift?

Your argument fails to be at all convincing. Everything a wizard can do with a single spell a sorcerer can do as well.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #934
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    And yet Zz'dtri had plane shift and continued working for Nale because "the pay's good."
    "Pay" doesn't have to mean "money". It can mean "power" or "souls" or something else we don't want to think about.

As far as "why doesn't an spell user use spell X to make money"... I don't think it works that way.

5. - Top - End - #935

AssassinGuy

What would you rather do? Live in the desert for 35 years, constantly surviving several wars every 2 or 3 years, hoping to get profit, or sell a bunch of platinum every week and definitely make a profit.
    What I'm saying is that nothing stops him from doing both.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Orc in the Playground

We don't know Miron's class.

He can easily lack Plane Shift as a known spell.
    Or maybe Elemental Plane diamonds are treated like artificial diamonds here on Earth and are much cheaper than their Prime Material Plane collegues.

And another possibility comes from quote: "From the Material Plane, you can reach any other plane, though you appear 5 to 500 miles (5d%) from your intended destination." © SRD

So you can easily end up in the middle of Elder Elementals Meeting concerning recent diamond deposits disappearance. And feel pain.
    Last edited by Fan67; 2013-12-16 at 04:35 AM.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Regardless of the likely-hood of a wizard popping off to grab diamonds, we have not seen anything that proves Miron is a sorcerer. Saying "This is what I would do/is logical to do/is the most OP thing to do" means nothing in this thread.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Barbarian in the Playground

Let's not forget, that Miron may be an NPC (though I steel consider Tarquin's party evil PCs) - and NPCs may simply have not such liberty - to easily earn the money they want. Though Miron may have Plane Shift, he may very well be unable to use it for personal enrichment simply because he is an NPC and is forced to run a cliche evil empire. Though he can easily use said Plane Shift to send enemies to Elemental Plane of Fire or Ranch Dressing or the like.
    "...As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Quote Originally Posted by Silverionmox View Post
    All the general's dinosaurs
    and all the general's men
    couldn't keep the Order
    from leaving again.
    Thanks to Cuthalion for awesome avatar!

9. - Top - End - #939
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    Let's not forget, that Miron may be an NPC (though I steel consider Tarquin's party evil PCs) - and NPCs may simply have not such liberty - to easily earn the money they want. Though Miron may have Plane Shift, he may very well be unable to use it for personal enrichment simply because he is an NPC and is forced to run a cliche evil empire. Though he can easily use said Plane Shift to send enemies to Elemental Plane of Fire or Ranch Dressing or the like.
    If anything Team Tarquin is clearly consists of NPCs.
    I highly doubt OotS World is a MMORPG with many player groups.

10. - Top - End - #940

Quote Originally Posted by Fan67 View Post
    We don't know Miron's class.

He can easily lack Plane Shift as a known spell.
    Or maybe Elemental Plane diamonds are treated like artificial diamonds here on Earth and are much cheaper than their Prime Material Plane collegues.
    Or maybe Elemental Plane diamonds are treated exactly like any other diamonds and some sorceror with INT for his dump stat and no understanding of economics flooded the market with diamonds, rendering them worth less than copper.

We've seen Durkon with 5000gp's worth of diamonds, and he didn't need a truck to carry them, so obviously this didn't happen, but in a world where some people can just pop out and fetch diamonds when they want to pay for something, it could happen. Set up an inter-plane mining consortium without a modern real-world understanding of economics, and before you know of it, you've destroyed the economy of nations and the market for your diamonds.

11. - Top - End - #941

Quote Originally Posted by Fan67 View Post
    If anything Team Tarquin is clearly consists of NPCs.
    I highly doubt OotS World is a MMORPG with many player groups.
    Well, the Order of the Scribble clearly were PCs.

And what about Rob Redblade? Is he an NPC until recruited into OotS, or is he a PC?
    "...As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Quote Originally Posted by Silverionmox View Post
    All the general's dinosaurs
    and all the general's men
    couldn't keep the Order
    from leaving again.
    Thanks to Cuthalion for awesome avatar!

12. - Top - End - #942
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    Well, the Order of the Scribble clearly were PCs.

And what about Rob Redblade? Is he an NPC until recruited into OotS, or is he a PC?
    Do you understand PC abbreviation?
    Strictly speaking, Rich said there are no Players even behind OotS, and they are refered to as PCs only because they are main protagonists of the story.

P.S. And by the way, why do you care who is PC and who is NPS?

13. - Top - End - #943

Goblin

Forgive me if this has been asked before but is Señor Giant overly concerned with keeping the OOTS at similar levels?
    Will the extra boost in effective level for Durkon mean that the other pc's get extra class levels or a template or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?

14. - Top - End - #944
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

So far the biggest spread in levels has been 2-3, so it's entirely possible that we're seeing the first steps of the Order getting powered up for the final stages of the story. I kinda doubt it, though; it's more likely that Durkon's vampire abilities just won't matter enough (especially since he's unlikely to accumulate thralls) to put him far above the rest of the Order's high-teens mortal powers.
    Last edited by Shale; 2013-12-17 at 03:50 PM.
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

15. - Top - End - #945

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    So far the biggest spread in levels has been 2-3, so it's entirely possible that we're seeing the first steps of the Order getting powered up for the final stages of the story. I kinda doubt it, though; it's more likely that Durkon's vampire abilities just won't matter enough (especially since he's unlikely to accumulate thralls) to put him far above the rest of the Order's high-teens mortal powers.
    I have to agree with that. The Giant isn't going to start slapping extra levels or templates on people just because Durkon is a vampire now -- only reason he would would be if there were a storytelling reason to do so. And I don't see that.

(Of course, that doesn't mean that the others won't level up as normal -- and Durkon probably won't, because of his higher ECL.)

And anyway, as fun as the vampire template is, it's not as though Durkon got extra caster levels, which would be a much bigger deal.
    Last edited by Bird; 2013-12-17 at 06:58 PM.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Titan in the Playground

If anything, the vampirization is a convenient trick to prevent Durkon from gaining more spell progression. Ninth-level spells are (by design) ludicrously overpowered, and it becomes much harder to tell a good story when the heroes have them.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

17. - Top - End - #947
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel it may be prudent to point out that the Giant is on record as saying that the Order isn't going to win by levelling up until they are at an appropriate level for a challenge like Xykon, anyway.

If you expect them to become dramatically stronger than they are now, I fear you will be disappointed.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    If anything, the vampirization is a convenient trick to prevent Durkon from gaining more spell progression. Ninth-level spells are (by design) ludicrously overpowered, and it becomes much harder to tell a good story when the heroes have them.
    Say that to Vaarsuvius, he is very close to attain this spell level.
    Let me tell you, "safe" is for NPCs. I live on the edge.

19. - Top - End - #949

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Living Oxymoron View Post
    Say that to Vaarsuvius, he is very close to attain this spell level.
    Close to 18? No, s/he's not. AFAIK s/he's currently level 15 though I wouldn't be surprised if s/he earns enough XP today to level (assuming s/he survives and all).
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

20. - Top - End - #950
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Close to 18? No, s/he's not. AFAIK s/he's currently level 15 though I wouldn't be surprised if s/he earns enough XP today to level (assuming s/he survives and all).
    Close to 17, actually. 18 is for Sorcerers.
    Let me tell you, "safe" is for NPCs. I live on the edge.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to ask the thread maintainer again to add Haley's two big gemstones.

Edit: now done, thanks.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2013-12-19 at 05:51 PM.

22. - Top - End - #952

V has in excess of 25 spells left. Can we get a count on all the spells done today, and see if they match up?

The number of spells left over, may be able to tell what level V is right now.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

V is now the proud owner of an orange Ioun Stone. By RAW the only orange stone is the orange prism, which gives +1 caster level.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Codyage View Post
    V has in excess of 25 spells left. Can we get a count on all the spells done today, and see if they match up?

The number of spells left over, may be able to tell what level V is right now.
    We also need help identifying the powers Laurin used in this fight, so we could get a rough estimate for her power points and therefore level. Although that may still be hard without a definitive answer on Wormhole.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

25. - Top - End - #955
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    We also need help identifying the powers Laurin used in this fight, so we could get a rough estimate for her power points and therefore level. Although that may still be hard without a definitive answer on Wormhole.
    We don't have a definitive? Are you sure?

Because Sabine just said that Laurin would be using "big guns, and often". Gee, I wonder what that would be?

I'm sorry, but I think we now have an answer for Wormhole. If it is not an augmentable lower level, then I think we can select its opposing level 8/level 9 alternative.

QED.
    "When will I ever stop telling stories? Well, you see..."

That's what loyal teammates do for each other, isn't it? You know, when they're not busy getting new haircuts.

26. - Top - End - #956

MindFlayer

The Sphere-breaker was clearly Disintegrate - green beam. I don't think she used any powers this fight we haven't already seen.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RickDaily12 View Post
    We don't have a definitive? Are you sure?

Because Sabine just said that Laurin would be using "big guns, and often". Gee, I wonder what that would be?

I'm sorry, but I think we now have an answer for Wormhole. If it is not an augmentable lower level, then I think we can select its opposing level 8/level 9 alternative.

QED.
    Huh? How does "big guns" mean that it somehow has to be an 8th or 9th level power? It could still just as easily be augmentable...
    and, of course, if she were only 11th level, then 5th level powers would be "big guns". Sorry, your wanting her to be 18th level doesn't make it so.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    The Sphere-breaker was clearly Disintegrate - green beam. I don't think she used any powers this fight we haven't already seen.
    Actually, I think the power she uses against Cone of Cold is Energy Adaptation, or probably Specific Energy Adaptation if we want to assume minimal levels. It has an augmentation to let you manifest it as an immediate action, which fits with Laurin's use of it.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

29. - Top - End - #959
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You think so? Go ahead then, calculate Wormhole as 6th, then. If that's her big guns ...then she is at least caster level 17. And we are back to missing 9th powers.

I'm sorry, Ben, but we're far beyond discussing possibilities at this point. This is now canon statement consistency- which is flat out wrong if you keep arguing Wormhole as low as you are.
    Last edited by RickDaily12; 2013-12-19 at 04:34 PM.
    "When will I ever stop telling stories? Well, you see..."

That's what loyal teammates do for each other, isn't it? You know, when they're not busy getting new haircuts.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RickDaily12 View Post
    You think so? Go ahead then, calculate Wormhole as 6th, then. If that's her big guns...

...then she is at least caster level 17. And we are back to missing 9th powers.

I'm sorry, Ben, but we're far beyond discussing possibilities at this point. This is now canon statement consistency- which is flat out wrong if you keep arguing Wormhole as low as you are... For what purpose, again?
    Careful with the tone, Rick. Getting a touch aggressive.

The question is, can we assume "big guns" to mean "highest level power"? If so, this fits with her spamming Wormhole in rapid succession. Since she is a minimum level of 13, this suggests Wormhole is at least a level seven power. So we can plug this into the computer and see what it prints out.

Of course, that all depends on whether we think that's a valid interpretation of "big guns".
    - The Flying Kipper