Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1489
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XI - Can Now Argue Three Times Per Page

\what does the acronym "SWMU" mean? It's next to summon plothole

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Banned

3-9. Ability score penalties start at 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    Good catch. Any character with an alignment has an Intelligence of at least 3, and Elan has at least 4 (because it's higher than Thog's).
    So 4-9.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't understand the rationale for declaring Elan smarter than Thog. Is it really just because Thog called Elan smart?

Mind, based on presentation I agree that Elan is smarter, but the evidence seems flimsy given the usual standards of this thread. (Same goes for any other characters pegged as having a better-than-Thog INT.)

Pegging 'low' INT as 3-9 seems fine, though that's already established by the RAW. (An animal has an Intelligence score of 1 or 2. A creature of humanlike intelligence has a score of at least 3. )

4. - Top - End - #1234

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    I don't understand the rationale for declaring Elan smarter than Thog. Is it really just because Thog called Elan smart?
    This evidence might not be "hard" enough for this thread, but extremely low INT is often (always?) portrayed in the comic (as many things are) through speech bubbles: speaking in bold type indicates very low, speaking without capital letters indicates even lower, and bad grammar indicates even lower than that.

(e.g. Thog, the island orcs, many ogres, Kraggor, Enor... note that Kraggor uses capital letters and his grammar is markedly better than Thog's, I would peg his INT as slightly higher, maybe 4-5, and Elan's as higher than that, maybe 6-9.)
    Last edited by rodneyAnonymous; 2013-12-31 at 05:38 PM.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    This evidence might not be "hard" enough for this thread, but extremely low INT is often (always?) portrayed in the comic (as many things are) through speech bubbles: speaking in bold type indicates very low, speaking without capital letters indicates even lower, and bad grammar indicates even lower than that.

(e.g. Thog, the island orcs, many ogres, Kraggor, Enor... note that Kraggor uses capital letters and his grammar is markedly better than Thog's, I would peg his INT as slightly higher, maybe 4-5, and Elan's as higher than that, maybe 6-9.)
    NB: This scheme gives Crystal around Elan-level intelligence.

6. - Top - End - #1236

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    NB: This scheme gives Crystal around Elan-level intelligence.
    And what, exactly, would the problem with that be?

(Also, why?)
    Last edited by rodneyAnonymous; 2013-12-31 at 05:58 PM.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    Nothing, really. Just thought it worth pointing out, hence the "NB" tag.

8. - Top - End - #1238

MindFlayer

Nothing, really. Just thought it worth pointing out, hence the "NB" tag.
    Nota bene? New Balance? Neuberger Berman?

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    Nota bene?
    Yes, that one.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Something I noticed: Leeky Windstaff doesn't have any spells listed for "Spells known" which is odd.

I know he has Fire Storm, Liveoak, and Stoneskin, and some kind of spell to shield from fire and from lightning, but not sonic (I want to say Resist Energy, but he would have had to cast that multiple times). He animated at least four trees, although the spell's length is one day a level, so he might have cast it over multiple days.

Anyone else have any other spells.

11. - Top - End - #1241

Quote Originally Posted by Matt620 View Post
    Something I noticed: Leeky Windstaff doesn't have any spells listed for "Spells known" which is odd.

I know he has Fire Storm, Liveoak, and Stoneskin, and some kind of spell to shield from fire and from lightning, but not sonic (I want to say Resist Energy, but he would have had to cast that multiple times). He animated at least four trees, although the spell's length is one day a level, so he might have cast it over multiple days.

Anyone else have any other spells.
    Druids all have the same spell list. There's no need to list 'spells known' unless he casts something from outside the list.

12. - Top - End - #1242

PaladinGuy

A quick thought about Thog: does his popularity in the arena indicate a positive Cha mod?

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    A quick thought about Thog: does his popularity in the arena indicate a positive Cha mod?
    It seems likely, but I don't think it's conclusive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not seeing it. I thought they liked him because he was a badass but funny guy, and it's possible to be that without Charisma.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

15. - Top - End - #1245

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    I'm not seeing it. I thought they liked him because he was a badass but funny guy, and it's possible to be that without Charisma.
    You can be a badass without Charisma, but not funny; you'd be a badass jerk instead. It's not as if Thog has enough Skill Points to take ranks in Perform: Comedy, is it?

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

There's some leeway when you're a character in a comedy story, though. If you needed positive Charisma to get good jokes, Belkar would be a straight man.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Troll in the Playground

There's some leeway when you're a character in a comedy story, though. If you needed positive Charisma to get good jokes, Belkar would be a straight man.
    But people don't exactly like him, do they?
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    But people don't exactly like him, do they?
    Jenny and Ian seemed to like him well enough.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I don't think that having charisma is required to amuse the readers. Most people in the comic itself are shown to dislike/tolerate Belkar. Amusing or entertaining actual people in the strip, which is what Thog does in the arena, seems to imply some charisma, or at least more than Belkar.

Peelee’s Lotsey

20. - Top - End - #1250

ElfWarriorGuy

That having been said, Thog presumably has great STR and CON scores, absolutely terrible INT and WIS, and probably a mediocre DEX. I know we've been over that if the characters were created via point-buy they certainly didn't start out with the same number of points (perhaps V donated some points to Roy for unknown reasons). But, if that was hypothetically the case, Thog could well have some points left over to get his CHR up a bit.

Its funny, though. If you think about it, while Thog doesn't interact with people very often , they tend to have either neutral or positive views of him (the arena crowd, his jailers, etc). They don't necessarily like him, but given that he's a homicidal half-orc barbarian he tends to be pretty well received.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2014-01-02 at 06:06 PM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Ogre in the Playground

The arena scene was a commentary on how the forum readers always love Thog even though all he does is kill people. I don't think we can read into it what his charisma modifier is.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The arena scene was a commentary on how the forum readers always love Thog even though all he does is kill people. I don't think we can read into it what his charisma modifier is.
    Just because something has a narrative purpose doesn't mean we should discount it.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Ogre in the Playground

Just because something has a narrative purpose doesn't mean we should discount it.
    True. However judging charisma based on how likable someone is is a bit fuzzy for my taste. I cite the FAQ:

Q: A character undertook this brilliant/moronic/insightful/ignorant/inspiring/repulsive action. Does that mean they now have a high/low intelligence/wisdom/charisma score?
    No. Similar to the previous question [alignments], people have different ideas about what the mental ability scores represent and how much they influence a character's personality. The ability scores posted here are taken from the character's own mouth, someone else in a position to know their scores, or their use of a spell/feat/whatever which requires a minimum ability score. Kindly refrain from speculating from how a character's personality changes their ability scores, since it's not really something you can reason out with facts and numbers either.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, good point. I agree that it's not conclusive, but not for Kornaki's reasons.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Banned

So strip 936 has once again showed Tarquin catching two arrows, this time arrows that were both fired at him. Thoughts?

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Troll in the Playground

So strip 936 has once again showed Tarquin catching two arrows, this time arrows that were both fired at him. Thoughts?
    It confirms that he has Infinite Deflection, as already noted on the first page.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Ogre in the Playground

It confirms that he has Infinite Deflection, as already noted on the first page.
    What? No, it doesn't. It's a second instance of Tarquin catching two arrows at once. It doesn't confirm anything -- except that he can repeat it, I guess, but I don't think that was in doubt.

We are not presented with anything new. We already knew Tarquin could catch two arrows at once. (Whether that means Infinite Deflection is a matter of debate, and a simple repeat performance does not exactly contribute anything to either side.)

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

It confirms that Tarquin can only catch two arrows if he uses both hands - if he could do it with one hand he would not have let go of the ship, however momentarily. I'd say this is actually evidence against Infinite Deflection, as that feat would trivially allow one-handed blocking of both arrows. The obvious alternative is a house rule that the Deflect (and Snatch) Arrows limit is per hand.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    It confirms that Tarquin can only catch two arrows if he uses both hands - if he could do it with one hand he would not have let go of the ship, however momentarily. I'd say this is actually evidence against Infinite Deflection, as that feat would trivially allow one-handed blocking of both arrows. The obvious alternative is a house rule that the Deflect (and Snatch) Arrows limit is per hand.
    Think about the timing of the arrows though: Haley used Manyshot to fire them, as seen by the single "TWANG!" sound effect. If she fired them separately, he might be able to use one hand to snatch both, but not simultaneously.
    - The Flying Kipper

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    The obvious alternative is a house rule that
    If you like, you can visualize a little star behind every single statement or factoid in the top post, that links to "* or perhaps The Giant used a house rule". Unless there are other ways by RAW for Tarquin to perform his missile snatchery, then Infinite Deflection should remain for him.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!