New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1489
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XI - Can Now Argue Three Times Per Page

Do we have anything available that would allow us to make a judgment about how far Tarquin fell (and thus an HP floor by means of the fall damage)?

The only thing I see that gives any ideas is something related to the firing range of an airship's ballista. I'll see if can find anything of the sort (likely Eberron or Shining South).

Edit: Silly me, forgot the cap
    Last edited by Hecuba; 2014-01-04 at 09:50 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Titan in the Playground

The ship is almost certainly more than 200 feet up, which is where falling damage maxes out: We see him falling past Julio (whose rope is fairly close to vertical at that point), then we have a tall, zoomed out panel with nothing but him falling, Julio being out of frame, before he hits.

Still, the minimum, maximum, and average of 20d6 are far enough separated that I don't feel comfortable inferring too much from it. Elan's "You'll live" probably has some implicit confidence interval associated with it, and even a 99% chance of survival is a lot different from a 100.0000000000% chance of survival. Heck, Elan could have said that even if the chance were close to 50%, if he were trusting in the laws of Drama to ensure the coin would land heads-up for Tarquin.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

3. - Top - End - #1263

ElfWarriorGuy

Yeah, its way too wide a range to infer much. If Tarquin, as is generally accepted, a low or near epic character, we could probably come up with a stat-sheet in which Tarquin is actually a d4 hp class (secretly a Wizard! Which I could show makes perfect sense with a couple paragraphs of delusional rambling) and yet still has enough hp to guarantee he'd survive the fall damage.

Plus, assuming he's still got the ring of Regeneration, he can safely go to -9 and the ring will keep him alive, right?
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Yeah, its way too wide a range to infer much. If Tarquin, as is generally accepted, a low or near epic character, we could probably come up with a stat-sheet in which Tarquin is actually a d4 hp class (secretly a Wizard! Which I could show makes perfect sense with a couple paragraphs of delusional rambling) and yet still has enough hp to guarantee he'd survive the fall damage.

Plus, assuming he's still got the ring of Regeneration, he can safely go to -9 and the ring will keep him alive, right?
    By RAW, no -- ring of regeneration works on an hourly basis, not per round (specifically, you heal your level in HP every hour, instead of every day -- but it cannot be increased via the Heal skill).

Of course, we've seen different from Tarquin's ring already, so RAW is really out of the picture here.

But if he went to -9 and didn't stabilize in that round, he would have died in the next round.

If Tarquin's ring heals him every round, then he doesn't have to worry about bleeding out, as any amount of healing at all stabilizes you. If it doesn't, he can bleed out and die in between heals.

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Think about the timing of the arrows though: Haley used Manyshot to fire them, as seen by the single "TWANG!" sound effect. If she fired them separately, he might be able to use one hand to snatch both, but not simultaneously.
    Infinite Deflection doesn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    If you like, you can visualize a little star behind every single statement or factoid in the top post, that links to "* or perhaps The Giant used a house rule". Unless there are other ways by RAW for Tarquin to perform his missile snatchery, then Infinite Deflection should remain for him.
    I am not saying "maybe The Giant used a house rule", I'm saying "The Giant definitely used a house rule".

The RAW of Infinite Deflection no longer fits what has been shown in comic. There is no RAW way, at all, to explain Tarquin's missile snatchery. By RAW, without Infinite Deflection he couldn't deflect both arrows at all. By RAW, with Infinite Deflection he could deflect both arrows with one hand. What is shown in comic is that he can deflect both arrows but must use both hands to do so. There is literally no RAW way to explain that, so a house rule must be in effect.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    By RAW, with Infinite Deflection he could deflect both arrows with one hand. What is shown in comic is that he can deflect both arrows but must use both hands to do so.
    He's not just deflecting them- he's catching, and holding, each.

The Snatch Arrows feat requires a free hand to use:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#snatchArrows

as does the Deflect Arrows feat:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#deflectArrows

and when you take into account that Infinite Deflection allows one to deflect infinite times, but otherwise works as Deflect Arrows:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats...niteDeflection

it seems that he "Snatched" both arrows- and ended up with no free hands.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2014-01-04 at 02:20 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Infinite Deflection still doesn't let you catch more arrows than you have free hands. The problem is that he should have been able to simply deflect them without catching them, and that doesn't seem to have been an option. The fact that Haley yelled "Catch!" doesn't compel him to actually catch them.
    Last edited by Shale; 2014-01-04 at 02:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    Infinite Deflection still doesn't let you catch more arrows than you have free hands. The problem is that he should have been able to simply deflect them without catching them, and that doesn't seem to have been an option. The fact that Haley yelled "Catch!" doesn't compel him to actually catch them.
    "Tarquin acted suboptimally" is still a RAW possible action though.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Tarquin acted suboptimally" is still a RAW possible action though.
    Considering his character, it's a very likely possible action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I'm perfectly fine assuming that the characters' builds are anything but optimal, but that scene just doesn't work if you assume that Tarquin could have parried both arrows without letting go of the ship, completely ruining Haley's gambit, but he forgot.
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Banned

I'm perfectly fine assuming that the characters' builds are anything but optimal, but that scene just doesn't work if you assume that Tarquin could have parried both arrows without letting go of the ship, completely ruining Haley's gambit, but he forgot.
    Sure it does. The scene just requires you to believe that Haley, in the moment, out-manipulated and out-smarted Tarquin. Is that so hard to accept?

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

So she fired a pair of arrows at him on the assumption that he had to either catch them or take the hit, and she was wrong, but due to her cunning strategy of saying "catch" he forgot about his epic feat? That's not outsmarting anybody, that's Tarquin grabbing an Idiot Ball.
    Last edited by Shale; 2014-01-04 at 03:34 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Gloves of Arrow Snaring? I recall it was brought up before.

Though, I suppose that doesn't answer how he could have used it earlier today. So never mind that. Unless we want to go down the route of some sort of crafted magic item that lets him use it more than twice a day.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-01-04 at 03:40 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

So she fired a pair of arrows at him on the assumption that he had to either catch them or take the hit, and she was wrong, but due to her cunning strategy of saying "catch" he forgot about his epic feat? That's not outsmarting anybody, that's Tarquin grabbing an Idiot Ball.
    We don't need to assume Haley believed he had to catch them in order to stop them. Haley expecting him to grab the arrows--with his instantaneous, heat of the moment reaction to being called out and having arrows flying at his face being the more showy grabbing them rather than the less climactic swatting them aside--seems like a reasonable reading of his character.

We've never seen him swat any arrows rather than catching them. This could speak to him having some homebrewed ability, or it could speak to his own personal preference for catching, which could mean that in the heat of the moment his gut reaction would be to catch, even if it wound up being a poor choice.

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Ogre in the Playground

No more so than his grabbing the smokestick arrow. It seems like Tarquin snatches arrows shot at him by reflex. As I understand it, he's using his epic feat in conjunction with snatch arrows to be able to do that. I don't think it's unbelievable that he got snared by his own habit of showing off.

Ninja'd
    Last edited by AKA_Bait; 2014-01-04 at 03:47 PM.
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

16. - Top - End - #1276

Beholder

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say Tarquin caught the arrows because he didn't want them to be stuck in his face.

The sneak attack damage (he's got no dex bonus to AC while dangling, probably) would not have been negligible. Of course, he'd probably have survived (he survived the fall, which probably dealt more damage), but if either were a critical hit...

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Should point out that with Attack of Opportunities we already have precedent for things that are optional in D&D, being mandatory in OotS.

IE. If he has arrow snatching and infinite deflection, he might be compelled to catch one arrow per free hand under OotS rules.

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JustWantedToSay View Post
    Should point out that with Attack of Opportunities we already have precedent for things that are optional in D&D, being mandatory in OotS.

IE. If he has arrow snatching and infinite deflection, he might be compelled to catch one arrow per free hand under OotS rules.
    I don't see anything to suggest that the kobold was required to make AoOs against Belkar, I think he just wanted to. Non-optional drawbacks in feats rarely if ever exist, anyways. I don't think we should assume that infinite deflection is somehow mandatory in OOTS.
    Last edited by 137beth; 2014-01-04 at 04:00 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I don't see anything to suggest that the kobold was required to make AoOs against Belkar, I think he just wanted to. Non-optional drawbacks in feats rarely if ever exist, anyways. I don't think we should assume that infinite deflection is somehow mandatory in OOTS.
    Even if you don't see it in that image. The thread already has been over it:

Faq 1st post
    • : If a character makes a special attack like grappling, and his victim does not make an attack of opportunity, can that be evidence of a feat like Improved Grapple?
      Yes, assuming the victim is armed, and otherwise capable of making AOOs. It is clear that the rules for attacks of opportunity are used in the comic, and there is no reason to assume that grappling/tripping/sundering is an exception.

--If an attack of opportunity were optional, then the fact that it's missing couldn't not be used as evidence for improved grapple, etc.
    Last edited by JustWantedToSay; 2014-01-04 at 04:05 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1280

MindFlayer

I think it's pretty clear that the people trying to defend Infinite Deflection are now the ones grasping at straws.

Tarquin clearly has an unnamed ability that allows him to catch two arrows if he has two hands free - I personally like the magic item, but that's just personal taste - and not a feat that would have allowed him to stay on the ship by using only one hand.

And therefore the presumption that he is epic level is no longer supported.

It's like with Roy and the unnamed anti-caster feat - it sounds like he has a particular feat, but the evidence doesn't match the rules text, so we don't put it in his write-up that way.

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    Tarquin clearly has an unnamed ability that allows him to catch two arrows if he has two hands free - I personally like the magic item, but that's just personal taste - and not a feat that would have allowed him to stay on the ship by using only one hand.
    Or Tarquin made a mistake (which, frankly, is a mistake I would make too if I saw two arrows coming right at my eyes). It's really not at all grasping at straws to take that possibility into consideration.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, I'm catching up with Christmas posts now.

Added +4/+2 daggers, bounding attack to Belkar; two gemstones to Haley; Tarquin's whip to Vaarsuvius. Updated Elan's Silent Image. Added Team Tarquin to the list of groups in the FAQ. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that everybody has papers for the City of Blood (except Elan, who dropped his). Can we have a source comic for that?

I suggest waiting for the next few comics to see if Bloodfeast sticks around and if it's useful writing up stats for him; theoretically he could become Belkar's mount or something.

In earlier discussion it was mentioned that Kraagor must be non-evil because Soon associates with him.

It may be nice to have a different name for Team Tarquin, because recent posts by The Giant indicate that the only reason people think it's his team is because Tarquin says so, and he exaggerates his own importance. That said, the name is catchy so we may as well stick with it. Thoughts? Speaking of Tarquin, there was discussion earlier that his dagger would need to be adamantite, and that he may have Combat Brute or Knockdown feats; perhaps this is worth analyzing further.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

It may be nice to have a different name for Team Tarquin, because recent posts by The Giant indicate that the only reason people think it's his team is because Tarquin says so, and he exaggerates his own importance. That said, the name is catchy so we may as well stick with it. Thoughts? Speaking of Tarquin, there was discussion earlier that his dagger would need to be adamantite, and that he may have Combat Brute or Knockdown feats; perhaps this is worth analyzing further.

Last time I checked there was a bit of a fad in calling it the Laurinear Guild, but I don't think's the best way to go, if only to avoid confusion.

What about Three Empire Conspiracy? Or would that imply including everyone in the empires who knows about the scheme, not just the six?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Here are the stats you actually need for a hatchling dragon:

Movement: Gets away if you let it.
    Saving Throws: Miraculously survives all accidents.
    Armor Class: You hit.
    Hit Points: Congratulations, Baby-Killer.
    Special Qualities: I hope you can live with yourself.

Coincidentally, these are the same exact stats for every other species of baby.

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Ogre in the Playground

I know that "Team Tarquin" isn't strictly accurate given Giant's explanation of Tarquin's overinflated opinion about himself, but I think it's still the most popular name on the wider forums, given that most of our interactions with his team have been framed around him. I don't see the need to reinvent the wheel unless we discover what he actually calls the team. Also I like alliteration.

What are your thoughts on the Vaarsuvius number crunching and belief they may have reached level 16?
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Banned

Someone mentioned in an earlier post that everybody has papers for the City of Blood (except Elan, who dropped his). Can we have a source comic for that?
    Please change any references to the "City of Blood" to "Bleedingham." It's been mentioned by name in several strips.

Quote Originally Posted by RNGgod View Post
    Last time I checked there was a bit of a fad in calling it the Laurinear Guild, but I don't think's the best way to go, if only to avoid confusion.

What about Three Empire Conspiracy? Or would that imply including everyone in the empires who knows about the scheme, not just the six?
    Pretty sure Kish is the only one who has stuck with "Laurinear Guild." And I'm not sure we should be naming groups/factions after their members or leaders. The Order of the Stick, the Order of the Scribble, the Linear Guild, the Sapphire Guard, the Inter-Fiend Cooperation Commission, Team Evil...none are named after their members or leaders.

Of course, the group doesn't have a "canon" name like the others I mentioned, so maybe we can derive one from the way people talk about them. Tarquin in this strip calls them "advisers" and "handlers". Ian in the same strip calls their operation a "two-man con." In this strip Nale identifies "business before pleasure" as their cardinal rule. And apparently it was the Treasure of Sdigiji that allowed them to recruit their initial forces. Maybe something can be cobbled together out of that?1

Alternatively, "Vector Cabal" used to be popular.

1EDIT: Actually, "The Business Plot" would be a decent name if it didn't refer to a real life historical event. Shame.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2014-01-05 at 12:09 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Would it be possible to consider Sabine has the Soul Eater PrC or at least dipped in it? She's repeatedly shown being able to drain people with just her claws, which is not standard for a succubus. She's only ever seen using the 1st level ability, drain levels with her touch, so she probably only has one level (otherwise, some if not all of the bonuses Pompey gave her would be superfluous).

As for the pre-reqs:
    Base Attack Bonus: +5 (fulfilled with 6 Outsider HD that come standard with Succubi)
    Alignment: Any evil (goes without saying)
    Knowledge Arcana: 2 Ranks (could be done with the Knowledge (any one) Succubi come standard with, or just some cross-class, as rogues and Outsiders have boatloads of skill points).
    Feats: Alertness and Weapon Focus: Natural Weapon (While we have no real evidence for Alertness, her preference for melee combat could be interpreted as being willing to take the Weapon Focus feat).
    Any living nonhumanoid (is an Outsider)
    Last edited by MReav; 2016-06-22 at 08:33 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1287

I think that Team Tarquin, while not accurate in the comic itself, works fine as far as identification of the group goes. It's established, it's in common use, might as well leave it be if it works. No need to fix something that isn't broken.
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoa View Post
    I think that Team Tarquin, while not accurate in the comic itself, works fine as far as identification of the group goes. It's established, it's in common use, might as well leave it be if it works. No need to fix something that isn't broken.
    Pretty much this. Using a (mostly) recognizable already-used-by-fandom name seems preferable than trying to invent our own term that posters won't recognize immediately.

If the team ever gets a name from either in-comic or from Rich, then we change it. Until then, I think we should go with familiarity.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Firbolg in the Playground

For the name of Team Tarquin--
    Xykon isn't in control of, or even allied with, every Evil character in the OOTS-verse, but that hasn't stopped us from calling his group Team Evil. I don't think there's a problem with calling the team Tarquin is on "Team Tarquin".
    Although, now that it's been brought up, I do like the Lauriniar Guild
    Last edited by 137beth; 2014-01-05 at 12:16 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1290

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Would it be possible to consider Sabine has the Soul Eater PrC or at least dipped in it? She's repeatedly shown being able to drain people with just her claws, which is not standard for a succubus. She's only ever seen using the 1st level ability, drain levels with her touch, so she probably only has one level (otherwise, some if not all of the bonuses Pompey gave her would be superfluous).

As for the pre-reqs:
    Base Attack Bonus: +5 (fulfilled with 6 Outsider HD that come standard with Outsiders)
    Alignment: Any evil (goes without saying)
    Knowledge Arcana: 2 Ranks (could be done with the Knowledge (any one) Succubi come standard with, or just some cross-class, as rogues and Outsiders have boatloads of skill points).
    Feats: Alertness and Weapon Focus: Natural Weapon (While we have no real evidence for Alertness, her preference for melee combat could be interpreted as being willing to take the Weapon Focus feat).
    Any living nonhumanoid (is an Outsider)
    Where specifically are you getting those pre-reqs? I'm not seeing the same ones in either the D&DWiki 3.5 or the Pathfinder variants, though I'm assuming you're going with some 3.5 entry because Sabine doesn't qualify for the Pathfinder one at all.

Also, read this from the srd20 description of a succubus -

A succubus drains energy from a mortal it lures into some act of passion, or by simply planting a kiss on the victim. If the target is not willing to be kissed, the succubus must start a grapple, which provokes an attack of opportunity. The succubus’s kiss or embrace bestows one negative level. The kiss also has the effect of a suggestion spell, asking the victim to accept another kiss from the succubus. The victim must succeed on a DC 21 Will save to negate the effect of the suggestion. The DC is 21 for the Fortitude save to remove a negative level. These save DCs are Charisma-based.