Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [Toypocalypse] Some Assembly Required (IC)

December 25, 2013, Christmas Day

The world is silent.

Wind rustles through empty city streets and embers grow cold in the hearths of country homes, dwindling smoke trails wafted from the chimneys. Record snowfall covers most of the East Coast of North America, measuring upwards of three feet in some places, and the roads remain unplowed. Small towns are experiencing brown-outs while most major urban centers are completely without power. It's six o'clock on Christmas morning and Humanity is nowhere to be found.

December 1, 2023, Present Day

Word has gone out that Dynamo has called a select few toys for a very secret mission. With batteries running low and thread and stuffing supplies near depleted after a decade of use, there's no doubt about the severity of the task - these few chosen, whoever they are, will have to save Assembly City.

Dynamo, the rarely-seen monarch himself, is known to rule from the very top floor of the tallest building in Assembly, Dynamo Center, and you are all on your way there now, crowded into an old dimly-lit and creaky dumb waiter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So you can chat among yourselves as to how you were summoned and where you're from and all that, or just wait until I post tonight... I just wanted to hurry up and get started with something. All your builds look fine mathematically, so take it away!
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    [MHRPG] Breakout: IC OOC
    [Toypocalypse] Some Assembly Required IC OOC
    MHRPG Cyclops

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: [Toypocalypse] Some Assembly Required (IC)

Guy looks around to the rest of the rag-tag looking group in the lift and tries to hide his skepticism of their worth on the journey he had been selected for. Deciding to speak first, he stood up straight from the spot against the wall he had been leaning on and spoke with a modulated voice seeming to come out of a helmet speaker.

"Well, as enjoyable as this silence is, we should probably start with some introductions. You all can call me Guy."

He gives another look around the dumbwaiter to make sure he is not being ignored and continues.

"I am assuming we are all here for the same reason, so if we were all summoned for this mission there are reasons why. I am here for my tactical mind and my skill in combat. I am interested, if only slightly, in why the rest of you were selected." He points to the Lego man looking down over top of him with his glowing eyes and a look that if he had a mouth you could assume would have been a grin. "Why don't you start, Shorty?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess this is an example of where an Intensity roll would be used for his attempt at intimidation.

Intensity Roll: (1d10+2)[11]
    Last edited by Vhael; 2013-11-03 at 02:54 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Guy: Toypocalypse Sheet
    Zalruux'Eri'Kethyn "Xerik": KOTOR Campaign (SW:Sagas) Sheet
    Hevoc Tol: No campaign (SW:Sagas) Sheet

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Frank says nothing, scowling instead at Guy. No way he was going to give that stupid thing the pleasure of hearing his voice. Look at it, so bright and shiny and new - it had probably never seen toil and hardship like Frank had. Worthless piece of mass-produced junk. See, FRANK had originality, he had uniqueness, he was hand-crafted. All that had made Guy was just a stupid robot, all that distinguished Guy from a thousand others like him was a number (if anything at all). Tactical mind, skill in combat? Pfft. Big words from somebody trying to overcompensate for his own inadequacy, his own stupidity. He'd almost pity Guy, except that would be doing too much kindness to the stupid, worthless piece of commercial trash. He wouldn't want to switch shoes with the poor bastard, even if it grovelled at his feet, begging him for the opportunity to live a day in the life of Frank. "Sounds like you might be jealous." a voice in Frank's mind tells him. Frank hated that voice, hated it because it always stopped these trains of thought midway, hated it because it was only part of his own psyche, hated it because he knew that fundamentally it was right.

What Frank hated most was the fact that he knew in a moment Guy would ask him for his name, and he knew he'd answer the question. And he would sound like an idiot doing so, too. Again.
    This is the end. Unless, possibly, it isn't.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Mikey McGuffin

Mikey was the last to climb inside the great metallic belly of the Dumb Waiter, already sat inside were the most amazing array of Toys he'd ever lay eyes upon. The feeling that welled up inside, reminded him of his first breaths of freedom, after his escape from plastic containment, he could tell there was a strong smell of adventure in the air, a new promising world had been opened up to him, all he had to do was seize it. Being a strong spirit for adventure was mainly the reason he'd agreed to go for this Secret Mission in the first place, that and everyone was being so anxious about it, which only helped to pike his enthusiasm. The great Dynamo, Lord of Toys, had asked for Mikey by name, no doubt Mikey's foreman had put a good word in for him at the Lord's Banquette two weeks ago, but still, there was a great honour in being called to serve the Lord. Eventually, Mikey thought to himself, his good work was beginning to pay off, and he was being rewarded with exciting adventures, images flooded his mind as he contemplated swinging daringly from the tallest of all the Toy buildings to rescue the beautiful princess, Lord Dynamo's daughter from the fiery clutches of Dragons and vile monsters that lurk beyond the wall, his daydreams came to a sudden halt as he was brought back to reality by the Cybernetic Super Soldier across from him, his voice sounded serious yet mocking, though it was hard for Mikey to tell, robotic voices all sounded void of emotion to him, they were monotone and full of static, destroying what could possibly interpreted as sarcasm or humour.

How to react?, Mikey asked himself, and for a moment he paused, to think, before speaking; "My name is Mikey McGuffin, and I'm a worker from the perimeter wall, whilst I may not be as big as some of you here, Lord Dynamo asked for my presence at tonight's meeting, so I can only assume I'm needed for some aid in construction or stealth, a role that such large toys as yourselves would struggle with, however honestly I've never been involved in anything like this, and have no idea what to expect"

He looked between the Robot, the Physician and the twisted pile of toys that seemed to be connected together to form some sort of super toy, No doubt there's danger ahead if the Lord is gathering toys like these for his mission, for the first time in what felt like years Mikey had a lump in his stomach, what had he signed on for?
    ~T

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Walter glances around the dumbwaiter to examine the group that was apparently being assembled. It is certainly a diverse bunch, the barbietruck monstrosity especially, the poor girl. Walt can't imagine what task would require summoning these individuals in particular... up until this point, he had assumed that the self-appointed king of the city merely wished to assign him to some research project or another.

All he knows, according to the vague instructions he was given when Dynamo's operatives wrested him from his books, is that the mission was supposed to be secret. The puppet isn't really concerned about Guy's lack of subtlety on the matter, though, so much as the way he looks down on the little Lego man for no real reason. Mikey seems to have taken it in stride, though. Good on him.

Supposing it's his turn at this point, Walt raises one nubby hand to his mustache and clears his throat. "Well, hello, I am Walter, the Librarian. I was taken aside and told to come here on the basis of some shadowy mission as well, though I can't imagine why Fearless Leader would single out a dusty old fool like myself."

Everyone then looks to Frank with awkward expectation.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2013-11-03 at 06:26 PM.
    Nexus Character Pile

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Mikey. What a stupid name. A stupid name for a stupid tiny little sliver of a thing. Frank could step on him right now, wipe that stupid smile off his stupid face. His stupid TINY face. He wouldn't step on Mikey right away, though, not in the presence of others. He was going to be intelligent about his sadism, intelligent unlike Mikey. Unlike all the idiots surrounding him right now.

And then there's Walter who looks like he's seen better days. It gives Frank a a grim satisfaction to see the threadbare nature of the toy's nature. He probably deserves every out-of-place thread on his stupid body, though. Frank wonders how hard it would be to get ahold of a pair of sissors. He would cut off each and every one of Walter's threads someday, he thinks to himself. Slowly, one by one, savoring every delicious snip.

Frank is so wrapped up in his thoughts that for a moment he doesn't realize everybody else staring at him. He mentally kicks himself for not having thought up something clever to say. No, wait, he thinks, I'm going to be silent, remember? To spite them?

And he does, in fact, manage to pull off a stubborn silence for several seconds, looking around and leering at the others malevolently. It takes all of his will, but he does it. Until he becomes painfully aware that he must look like such an idiot like his. They must think he's mute or something, on top of being the ugliest thing ever. And then he comes to the frustrating conclusion that he's going to have to say something despite himself. "You care about what they think of you, don't you?" says his inner voice tauntingly, and again he feels his own overpowering hatred toward the voice. No, he didn't care what they thought of them. He was going to remain silent, he was going to spite them after all, he was...

"I - I'm Mikey. I mean, Frank. I'm Frank."

Frank HATED himself.
    Last edited by Eonas; 2013-11-03 at 08:01 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

The ride lasts for several minutes during which there are more than a few creaks, groans and shudders from the aging pulley system. Eventually they reach the top, however, and are greeted by a well-dressed Barbie doll who addresses them in a stereotypical feminine voice:

"Greetings, brave adventurers! My name is Melanie and I'm to acquaint you with the protocol for being in the presence of His Royal Majesty, King Dynamo. If you'll please follow me, we can talk as we, uh, walk...?"

She hesitates at the end of her sentence only briefly, her eyes landing on Walter's lack of legs and Frank's generally odd appearance. She sets off down the hall, lit every few feet with candles of various shape and size. While it's early evening outside, many buildings in the city are dark throughout their interior simply due to the lack of powered lighting. The red plush carpet is kept in good condition though, and the shadows cast on the walls of the corridor contribute to an otherworldly brand of majesty. Melanie walks backwards slowly and continues her speech:

"First, speak only when spoken to - never address His Majesty out of turn. Maintain your distance by standing on the audience rug only. Never turn your back on His Majesty, when leaving make sure to bow and step backwards out of the room..."

This goes on for sometime before they actually reach the end of the hall and the large double doors are guarded by two enormous stuffed animals - a lion and a bear - who pull them open. Inside is a scene that few eyes have seen since the Great Dawning. The room, once an administrative office of some nature, has floor-to-ceiling windows on three sides and a wheeled office chair in the center. Surrounding the chair are countless shiny trinkets of varying value and use and a number of very fierce-looking toy soldiers, ready to defend their king. The periphery of the room, along the bottom of the walls, is lined with candles of assorted shapes and sizes, like the hall before, and the melted wax seems to enclose the space rather eerily. Directly behind the office chair is a telescope aimed in a Westerly direction through the frost-cornered windows. There are small candles throughout the room as well and, mixed with the pinks and oranges of the setting sun outside, the entire room is covered in a wide range of imposing hues.

Entering the room, the party finds themselves standing on what can only be assumed to be the audience rug - a swatch of deep green carpeting about halfway between the doors and the chair or, rather, the throne. There are steps leading up to the seat made from stacks of printer paper, office manuals, and an upturned trashcan. On it sits a small slouched figure, covered in stately robes, almost lost in the expanses of the space. It is, of course, King Dynamo. Many rumors of his stunning appearance and grave countenance persist throughout Assembly City, but none have prepared the party for the spectacle now before them for he is, beyond a doubt, the most regal rubber chicken any could ever imagine.

His voice is shrill and clear and punctuated with squawks as it echoes across to the party: "Welcome, obedient minions of *BWOCK* Assembly City, to Dynamo Center - from here we rule ALL *BWOCK*!" The words ring out loudly and are then suddenly silenced in the sound of the large doors once more being shut, Melanie having apparently disappeared.

"You are here for one *CLUCK* purpose, and one purpose only. Often have we walked these halls in the night hours, and often have we peered out over our lands considering whatever certain thoughts may weigh upon our *SQUAWK* royal mind. It is during one such night recently that we spotted, with a keen eye, lights on the distant horizon. Real lights *BWOCK* mind you, not those of some toy! We pondered this at great length and finally decided that further investigation was *BAGOCK* warranted. Not wanting to lose any of our own necessary attendants, we sent for you four. You will depart for the Western Hills at daybreak, discover the source of these mysterious lights, and report back here as soon as is *BOCKBOCKBOCK* possible."

The King pauses here, leaning forward awkwardly and gazing at each toy in turn and sizing them up for the task. He is supremely disappointed, for they appear, to him, to be less than adventurers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    King Dynamo is kind of an a**, is what I'm trying to say.
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Though he never really knew quite what to picture, given the impressive name of Dynamo, Walter expected the king to be something along the lines of a motorized mechanical construction. A grand k'nex masterpiece, perhaps, or an over-sized race car.

But no, Dynamo was ultimately just a regular dude, as far as toys go. Walt actually finds him much more interesting this way, but no doubt the tyrant prefers to maintain the more mysterious persona. Why else would he stay cooped up in here?

It's a good thing telepathy isn't a typical toy power; otherwise puns like that would probably get Walt executed.

When Dynamo finally gets to the interesting part - the curious lights - Walt becomes noticeably more interested. This certainly explains why they would seek him out in particular; such artifacts are right up his alley.

As the chicken-king scrutinizes the party, Walter takes the opportunity to raise his hand and make sure it is okay to speak.

"Your Majesty, if I may?" he asks, making sure to be extra-polite. "The lights you speak of, are they still visible? If so, may I have a look?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2013-11-04 at 01:32 PM.
    Nexus Character Pile

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Guy looks on at the so called great leader with contempt and studies him for any weakness he can find. He knows this may be the only time he gets to see Dynamo before he plans out his death and he wants to make the most out of it. He decided he would prod at the Dictator of a king a bit while he could and see what he might be able to get out of this job.

He speaks to Dynamo in an elaborate manner trying to mask his sarcasm and does a good job of it with it mixed with his voice modulation.
    'Oh great and powerful C.O.C.K, You grace us with your presence! Though of course we are all humble servants to your reign, I must ask what we may obtain through this favor. And what you may be able to spare to aid our journey.' he finishes his sentance and shakes his head , trying to hide the disgust he was feeling.

Spoiler
    Show
    periods between the word that means a rooster is to avoid the foul language blocker.
    Last edited by Vhael; 2013-11-03 at 10:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Frank watches Melanie with considerable interest as she speaks. Though he has to squint to see properly through his one damaged eye, he stiill manages to give her a nice long elevator stare. He admires the delicate perfection inherent in her body: her undamaged blue glass eyes, her smooth pearly-white skin, and, overwhelmingly, the vague sense that she looks EXACTLY how she was supposed to look by her human makers. For a moment, a pang of shame stabs Frank, as he becomes acutely aware again of his own horribly imperfect body, a shame that only intensifies when he realizes the way Melanie's looking at him.

But only for a moment, for the shame quickly dissipates, leaving only anger in its place. Who was she looking at like that? What was he, some weird exhibit for stupid Barbies to gawk at? Didn't she realize that he wasn't just a collection of mismatched parts, that he had feelings too? Barbies are all like that, so focused on what something looks like instead of what it is - because they're all stupid, that's why! He'd tell that right to Melanie's stupid face, that she had no right to judge a toy based on what it looks like, and that she probably couldn't see true intelligence if it stomped up to her and smacked her on the nose!

And then Frank realizes that she'd already looked away and wasn't paying any more attention to him, and oddly enough, that hurts him even more than her disgust.

He does pay close attention to what she says, though, and is delighted to find a collection of rules that he could break out of spite.

When he first sees the King, Frank feels an intense dislike of him. Of course, he disliked the King already for being a ruler of toys, a stupid good-for-nothing that orders others around to serve his own purposes. But to see that it's a rubber chicken, that only magnifies his dislike (though why exactly that magnifies it, he couldn't say). He inches up to the very edge of the carpet, toes just sticking out by a sliver, and hopes Dynamo notices. He also hopes Dynamo notices that the front of his truck points backwards instead of forwards, and is bothered by the fact that not all of Frank is facing towards the king.

He hears the King's request with anger mingled with satisfaction. SEE? he tells himself. Dynamo's only a big bully, somebody who pushes others around to do his dirty work. I'll tell him so myself! Despite his big idea he finds himself completely unable to say anything. It's as if his mouth had atrophied. "You're scared, aren't you?" his inner voice jeers, and Frank is angrily forced to admit the voice is right, as always.

But then, satisfaction! For he hears Guy insult Dynamo for him. A part of him is irritated by the fact that it's some stupid robot that has the guts to verbally abuse the King, but at least somebody did it. Maybe Guy wasn't such a bad guy after all. Maybe even the King would order Guy chopped up into a thousand pieces, and that woud be even better.
    Last edited by Eonas; 2013-11-04 at 04:51 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

As the first point of his new adventure, Mikey's meeting with the great Dynamo was going to be legendary, to look upon the King, the most handsome and beloved leader of all the Toys, was going to be such a personal Honour, very few toys have the luxury of being invited to Dynamo Centre, let alone inside the King's personal chamber, he imagined the King to be a giant robed bear, long white hair with the wisdom of a thousand toys. Mikey kept running through how he would address him, Your Majesty?, No, too predictable, Greetings Divine Ruler? Again, it felt to predictable, Lord Dynamo Ruler of Toys?Better, he thought to himself, then suddenly realised the Barbie had been speaking this whole time, and he had missed everything she'd said, he quickly glanced around to see if any of the other Toys were listening to her, he guessed not.

The Grand doors to the King's chamber stood before him, and like two giant statues coming to life, a Lion and a Bear pulled the doors, stepping into the Royal Chamber, Mikey's jaw dropped, for sat on what appeared to be a pile of rubbish was the most ridiculous looking rubber poultry he'd ever had the misfortune to lay eyes upon. He was flabbergasted, surely this was not the great ruler of the Kingdom, he'd heard so many tales of the King's majestical presence, his incredible intelligence and awe inspiring throne room, were these all lies? The King began to speak cutting off Mikey's rambling train of thought, the Chicken even sounded like a joke, squawking constantly, its rubber comb jiggling uncontrollably, this had Mikey chuckling under is breath. He relaxed realising this whole thing was a joke, some sort of test by the real King to see if his recruits had the brains needed to complete the mission. He would play along for now, the actual King would reveal himself when the time was due, no doubt in some over theatrical fashion, Mikey looked at the ceiling checking for a wire rig, or any kind of dramatic lighting.

Spoiler
    Show

Not quite sure how I do a perception check, I'll assume it's Cognition:

(d12)[3] Checking for anything suspicious mounted to the ceiling.
    ~T

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

The suddeness of Walter's inquiry startles both the monarch and all the toy soldiers surrounding him, who immediately spring to arms. King Dynamo's rubber eyeballs glare at Walter's impropriety with an intensity surpassing the comical at his impertinent question: "No! No, they are not and no you may not! *BWOCK*!"

It seems to be the only answer he's going to get. Guy's words give him pause though, and he lets his gaze roam over the party for several long moments before responding in his shrill voice. The more he speaks, the angrier he gets, and the louder, and the more his entire body shudders. Mikey, particularly, gets a good look at the folds and creases of his yellow rubbery skin. He's no expert on kings, or chickens, but it looks to be genuine.

"It... shall... be... your.... *CLUCK*! pleasure... to... SERVE US!"

The king seems to lose control of himself for a minute and the air fills with more noises than words. Melanie appears from behind the group once more in an attempt to restore order. She whispers harshly: "Please! His Majesty is not used to-"

"Who is this? You there - doll! *BOCK* Are you responsible for this brazen behavior?! You were to summon loyal minions, not arrogant upstarts *SQUAWK*!!!"

The doll bows low, full of shame for the dignity of her king. "Yes, Your Majesty, please forgive me, I-"

"This audience is concluded! It's over! *CLUCKCLUCK* GO!" shouts Dynamo, before his chair turns and he can no longer be seen.

Melanie ushers the party back out into the hall beneath the piercing gaze of not only the soldiers but all the attendants and the two large porters at the door. Whatever may be said about King Dynamo, the loyalty of his closest subjects seems beyond question. Why that could be is anyone's guess - he's clearly not what most would expect from the ruling body of Assembly City. She turns to the party after the doors close and, with a look of exasperation, mutters to herself: "The rules. No one ever listens to the rules... This way please..."

A smaller office area off the main hall serves as a laboratory of sorts and, as such, is littered with all manner of spare parts and mysterious chemicals running through various size tubes. Whereas the atmosphere in the hall and throne room was equal parts regal and brooding, the lab has a sort of light and eccentric anticipatory energy to it. Numerous smaller toys - some looking remarkably like Mikey - scuttle about from station to station. A shirtless monacled toy approaches and begins to speak: "Ah, yes, so deez are the heroez who desire to be saving ze world, no? Ha! This iz very good, yes - the world, it needs saving, non?" He, too, eyes the party curiously but without the same malevolence as Dynamo. "You may call me Doctor - everyone does, you know. Can I assume you've heard ze brilliant plans?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seriously, he's a total d***. Melanie probably only took the job for the nice clothes. She's rethinking her life right now. The Doctor's all aces though, and probably not at all like the real Doctor Mindbender, which is the toy I'm basing him off of.
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

"I wouldn't worry, Miss Melanie," Walt says in his best kindly guidance counselor voice as they walk down the hallway. "I'd say that your employer was simply on edge."

He's not so petty as to bring up the fact that no sane mind would take his healthy interest in the matter at hand as, 'talking out of turn.'

"I can't help but notice, this is not the way we came in..."

It's about this time they walk into the stylized lab. It's an interesting scene... though one's typical vials and beakers are quite inanimate, Walt had also once held a scintillating conversation with a complete junior chemistry set. He just barely starts to speculate about the nature of the paints and polymers the workers are managing when the group is approached by Doctor and his question.

"The plan? Hmm, not as such, no. Only that we are going West."
    Nexus Character Pile

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

"West? Yes, you must be going to ze West - but first, you will be going up, non? Ha! Yes!" The Doctor laughs at his own joke and then realizes he's the only one. "...uh, heh, you must... up... heh..." He let out a trailing sigh and looked at the others. He finally asks, in a small voice: "...you really don't know ze brilliant plan, do you...? No one ever shares ze plans..."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Life in Dynamo Center is full of bitter disappointment. Also... when I say the Doctor has a French accent what I mean is that he has an accent that's best described as French-ish. Crazy Scientist is kind of its own language, right?
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

It takes all of what Guy has to not laugh when the absurd king goes ballistic. He knows that if just these simple thing throw him over the edge he would be very easy to manipulate. his thoughts are cut off when Melanie approaches and pulls them away and he basks under the disapproving eyes of all subjects.

he follows closely behind her trying to make sure he remembers the layout of the building as best he can. upon walking into the lab he looks around rather impressed, because he was not expecting that crazy fowl to have such a lab.

He finally looks on to the so called doctor, when he hears mention of a plan.

"Ok...Doctor...so tell us, what is the plan? And what do you mean by 'up'?"

He gives a good look around the lab looking for any sort of wepaons or items that could help them on the mission. he had just recently broke his needle and didnt have any proper weapons to take on the mission.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

The Doctor's plastic eyes light up with the satisfaction of being queried: "Ah, yes, the plans! Iz very simple, actually, but clever in its simplicity, non? We have recovered..." he beckons for the party to follow him across the way to a pile of different kinds of string, shoelaces, and thread, "...enough of zeez..." he moves on to a pile of torn mylar balloons, latex ballons, and inflateable water toys, "...and zeez..." and then stops in front of a giant metal tank laying on its side. There's a valve attached to a rubber hose that runs some distance across the hall to some scaffolding and a curtained-off area. "...to use zeez..." he says, motioning to the tank, "... for ZAT!" He points to whatever lies hidden behind the patched curtain.

The moment is fairly anticlimactic until he reaches for and pulls a nearby rope, causing the curtain to fall and reveal what looks like an ordinary wicker basket, albeit with some repairs and minor modifications. Hanging off the side are different size washers individually tied to the rim of the basket, which is also tied to the scaffolding. On the carpet to the side is no less than a dozen colored balloons spread out flat and being carefully attended by the Doctor's misfit staff. As if to answer all possible questions, the Doctor points to the ceiling where, far above, is an aged and stained skylight. The satisfaction, pride, and sheer glee are unable to be contained even in his barely malleable facial expressions as he concludes his explanation in an excited whisper:

"...up!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Brilliant!
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

"Ahh, bra-vo, Doctor!"

Walter walks around the massive basket for the flying machine to inspect it. "So refreshing to see that the spirit of science and invention does persist around here... hmm... where is the steering mechanism?"
    Nexus Character Pile

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Guy looks on very confused and wonders how that thing is going to make them fly because he had never seen anything like that before. He scratches his helmet, and then speaks up with walter. "I think the geezer has a point. Even if you were to get us off the ground with that, how would we make sure it went the right direction? He looks around skeptically.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

"Ah!" exclaims the Doctor, rushing off behind the basket and retrieving a Human-hand-sized fan, with a few extra wires protruding from it's end. There are two extra batteries held to its side with rubberbands as well, and the whole thing is on a rolling cart. "Zis will be mounted momentarily. You should have enough power to explore and return without problem!" Even as he says this, the cart is handed off to a pair of stout robotic toys who proceed to affix the fan to the basket carriage.
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Frank listens to King Dynamo with increasing hatred. Not only is the King a domineering, idiotic rubber duck, but he's also a jerk. Frank wiggles his toes over the rug another millimeter, but nobody seems to notice. He'd almost be disappointed by this, but the meeting had gone so awry and the King seems to be so agitated that Frank could almost laugh (though, of course, he doesn't dare do so).

And then, for just a moment, Frank feels slightly sorry for Melanie, whose expectations were destroyed by the actions of him and his fr - his not-friends. And then, the familiar surge of anger washes over him again, and he mentally kicks himself for succumbing to petty sentimentality.

It's in this particularly savage mood that he meets the Doctor. Stupid look, stupid accent, and a probably very stupid person too, he thinks. His theory is confirmed when the Doctor shows his crazy apparatus. "Do you expect me to trust that thing?" he snarles.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Guy nods as Frank protests the contraption. "Yeah, my thoughts exactly...uh, what did you say your name was again?" he says as he turns towards Frank.

Spoiler
    Show
    alittle bit more spotlight for frank lol
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Unpleasant memories from Frank's very-recent past resurface into his consciousness again, and in no way contribute to making him any happier. He briefly considers ignoring Guyver, but suppresses that idea on the grounds of how well that idea turned out last time. "Frank. And you would be... stupid?" he snarles. The pleasant tingle of satisfaction that he expected is noticeably absent, however, as he realizes how lame his insult was. Perhaps he should have stuck with the ignoring thing after all.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

"Calm down, you two," Walter says to the dissenting faction in a way that gives Frank's insulting ability way too much credit. "When inflated with helium, these rubber balloons are much lighter than air, and a good collection of them should be quite capable of holding all of us aloft. Although..."

He paces around the contraption and hops up to peek inside, inspecting it.

"...there is the matter of repeated takeoffs and landings. I'd suppose we just release a few balloons to descend, but what sort of ballast are you using?"

This kind of question is probably exciting to the doctor, but the nature of the conversation might make Fred and Guy go a little cross-eyed. "Hm, that is," he continues, trying to keep them involved, "what do we throw out to lighten the basket when we wish to take off again?"
    Nexus Character Pile

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Guy looks on a bit confused by Franks apparent insult, but decided to drop it when Walter intervened. He stood there for the rest of the conversation trying not to let Walter's words go above his head too. He was starting to get a bit frustrated by everything that he seemed to be missing, so he was keeping quiet trying not to go over the top like he tended to when he got angry.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Distancing himself from the rest of the Toys as he steps into the laboratory Mikey is fascinated by all the little workshops and tinkering taking place around the room, others like him scuttle around, some on foot others using tiny forklifts to carry batteries and other building supplies from one construction to the next. Fantastic, he thought to himself, this is exactly what he was expecting for the King's Science facility, wires running along the floor, engineers building tirelessly, and a peculiar accented Doctor in charge of it all, he must speak to him about the little people running around, Mikey thought to himself, and seeing that the other Toys had already introduced themselves to the Doctor, he too would go over and introduce himself.

Just catching the end of the conversation, Mikey speaks from behind the Doctor, rather loudly to make sure to draw attention. "Excuse me Doctor" Meekly raising a hand, "but, erm... this contraption, as beautiful as it is, doesn't look that safe, I mean, I'm sure it is, but, well it doesn't look like it'd last very long in stormy weather" Mikey looks around at the other Toys, tinkering away, and takes a giant gulp. Stepping around the back of the machine, to inspect the motor installation. "What I mean to say is that, perhaps you have thought about using lithium polymer batteries instead of nickel cadmium?, they're lighter and twice as powerful, so we'd be able to avoid getting caught in a strong gale and er... falling out."
    ~T

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Melanie looks back and forth between Frank and Guy with a concerns that this may not work out as well as she - and everyone from Dynamo on down - had hoped. She breathes easier with Walter's intervention. Mikey's presence earns him not a few glances from the other, similarly-bodied workers in and around the lab, though none really have the time to stop and chat.

"Yesyesyes, iz all very simple. You get on, we adjust some tings, you release some balloonz to land and then secure the line. Ven you are ready for leaving, untie de line, drop ze weights, and return here." The Doctor's words are accompanied with wild gestures, indicating that the washers tied to the sides of the basket are the ballast Walter was looking for. He's getting more excited too, as his diverse accents is becoming heavier and more varied. "If you have some of zez batt'reez wish you, feel free for making the modificationz..." Mikey's criticism is well-put but one takes what one can get nowadays. "Iz so simple, yes?" The question is more rhetorical - the finest minds, not the least of all, the Doctor's, have been working on this project for some time now - even before King Dynamo spotted the lights.

A voice of unexpected reason, Melanie finally chimes in, her tone cautious but firm: "I know it may seem silly, but you were chosen for your particular talents. Should danger arise or disaster occur, we are all quite confident you will be capable of accomplishing your task." The words come out calm and collected, with only a hint of pleading in them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Clearly, Melanie hasn't read my posts in the OOC. She might be worried about my GMing style.
    If you're all set, simply post that you are boarding the basket (I suppose there's a ramp... or maybe a rope ladder or something? I don't really have much experience with hot-air ballooning, if it's not obvious - have fun with that part) and, once you're all aboard, I'll update the thread.
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Mikey Steps inside the Wicker basket even if it is with great hesitation, the Doctor had a point, with batteries being as scarce as they are, the chance of being able to choose between two types was pretty unlikely, even if, Mikey thought to himself, that the Lead scientist should be able to get the resources he needs to complete whatever project the King had assigned him, perhaps things were worse than he'd heard, resources were dwindling that was evident, but he hadn't realised how bad it had gotten, maybe, he contemplated, that these lights or whatever they were, could be the answer? Mikey sat transfixed with deep thought, not speaking unless directly spoken too, and even then he merely nodded or murmured in agreement.
    ~T

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Frank glances over at Melanie, who so obviously wanted everything to work according to plan. A few minutes ago, he would have gone along and done his best to make everything work for her. Not now, though. Because right now, he was angry and thoroughly miserable - his insult not having had any negative effect on his not-friends, and then being told to 'calm down' by that pathetic posturing puppet. (He is so angry, in fact, that he doesn't even notice his own alliteration.)

The misshapen toy faces Melanie and points one of his spider legs at her, observing with bitter satisfaction the way she unconsciously recoils from it. "And what if I don't want to accomplish your task?" he asks.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

The basket sways a little as Mikey enters it, the neutral buoyancy being disrupted for a moment. It seems solid enough. He can see a number of spots that have been patched over and a small bundle wrapped in the corner. All the releases for the washers and balloons are within reach even for him, and the mount for the "propeller" seems sturdy as well. All in all, it meets what his expectations for a sturdy vessel. The balloons themselves are all gathered under one piece of large fabric, to protect them from the elements no doubt. Landing would mean either popping some or simply pulling one down and then letting it drift away.

Frank's words, and gesture, catch Melanie by surprise. "What... what do you mean? King Dynamo has ordered it, and... it could be very important. Someone might need our help, or be able to help us, or... or..." Her voice trails off in confusion. The thought hadn't even occurred to her that anyone would refuse.

Apparently she's not the only one, because the Doctor and a number of workers are all staring at amazement in Frank now with looks of incredulity.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, and treason. I bet King Dynamo would say it was treason.
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Frank hadn't really expected his comment to actually have an effect. He had thought she'd just threaten him into coercion, and he'd be stuck looking like an idiot again.

But now it looked like Melanie was genuinely taken aback by him. And he was probably seeming like a jerk instead of an idiot - a definite improvement, he thinks. Yet even though he had obviously hurt her (or something similar to hurting, he couldn't be sure), he doesn't feel nearly as satisfied as he should. In fact, Frank almost feel sorry for the Barbie - an emotion he immediately represses, or tries to repress. "Uh, yeah! What if I don't want to help?"