New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Where did the term saving throw come from?

What it says on the tin basically. I've only be playing D&D since 3rd edition, and I think 4th edition got rid of the term.

I know it's a legacy from earlier editions of D&D, but how did it originally come about? Most of the other D&D terms (Armor class, to-hit bonus, difficulty class, etc.) make sense. Saving throw seems to be an odd term for what is essentially another form of defense.
    If build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Where did the term saving throw come from?

Older versions of D&D make a distinction between "rolls" and "throws". They were basically distinct forms of dice rolls, with "rolls" generally being against the environment and "throws" against character stats.

Mathematically there was no real difference, and D&D 3.0 streamlined the math so it all worked the same way, but the terms stuck around.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

A saving throw is something that you roll to save yourself from something bad. It came from (I believe) running into creatures and traps with nasty effects like "you get poisoned" or "you get turned into a newt".
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

*makes his save vs Polymorph*

I got better....

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Well, a throw is another term for rolling the die, so it's a saving throw of the die. Ergo, a saving throw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The term "Saving Throw" was first used in the first pamphlet (Men and Magic) of the first book of Dungeons and Dragons, in 1974. The first Saving Throw Matrix appeared on page 20, and the term appears on pages 7&8, in the descriptions of dwarves and hobbits, and in several spell descriptions on pages 23-36.

When I first read the rules, it seemed like a clear, straightforward term for throwing (rolling) a d20 to attempt to save your character from effects of spells, paralyzation, dragon breath, etc.

Throwing or casting dice has meant rolling them for at least 2,000 years, before the English language existed. Caesar is believed to have said "Alea iacta est" when he crossed the Rubicon, which is usually translated as "the die is cast."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    What it says on the tin basically. I've only be playing D&D since 3rd edition, and I think 4th edition got rid of the term.
    Nitpick: While 4e doesn't have "saving throws" in the same sense as 1-3 (having switched to static defenses a-la Star Wars SAGA), it does use the term to refer to its "roll once per turn to Iron Heart Surge" mechanic.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not sure how accurate this is, but fascinating nonetheless.
    Deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars.

Eclipse Phase: Because transhuman post-apocalyptic conspiracy and horror goodness now comes in Creative Commons-licensed PDF form.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acatalepsy View Post
    Not sure how accurate this is, but fascinating nonetheless.
    That was basically what I was trying to articulate on the recent passive saving throw thread. Even if you keep the numbers the same, the kinaesthetic 'feel' is very different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding