New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Bolas

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Bolas

So, I just looked at the bolas. They are a thrown exotic weapon that can you can trip with. Now I want to see an effective build centered around quick drawing and tripping people with bolas. Proabably returning, with some other ranged attack to hit them with after tripping, with the far shot feat for longer range.

Also, they seem to be a good thing for anyone to have. Tripping only requires a touch attack to start, so the non-proficiency penalty isn't all that bad, you just need some strength bonus to knock the guy over.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Bolas

Surely you can't have a returning bolas! would it drag the creature with it or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

RedSorcererGirl

maybe they would only return on a missed trip attempt?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

They trip, unwind themselves, then speed back to the thrower. If you think that's a stretch for a magical ability... uh... yeah.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

As Thomas said; It has done its dirty work.
    Rinse and repeat.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Do returning things work for itterative attacks? There are just some things that should not be returnable...
    suppositories for example
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

No, it returns at the start of next round to the same spot it was thrown from.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Returning: This special ability can only be placed on a weapon that can be thrown. A returning weapon flies through the air back to the creature that threw it. It returns to the thrower just before the creature’s next turn (and is therefore ready to use again in that turn).

Catching a returning weapon when it comes back is a free action. If the character can’t catch it, or if the character has moved since throwing it, the weapon drops to the ground in the square from which it was thrown.

Moderate transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, telekinesis; Price +1 bonus.
    Last edited by Lord Lorac Silvanos; 2007-01-08 at 06:39 AM. Reason: SRD refenrece
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fizban, I think you'll have trouble finding such an effective build. Ranged tripping is sub-optimal because of the beauty that is Improved Trip. You're way better off going melee: with ranged you're reliant on Dex for accuracy and Str for the Trip check. Less MAD if you go melee, PLUS you can follow up with an attack at the same BA w/ Improved Trip, which you can't do with ranged tripping (save for quickdraw and multiple throwing weapons).

That said, if you're going to GO ranged tripping, you're better off with something like a Sai, so you can disarm also (and disarming is going to be easier anyways, chances are). Take levels in Master Thrower (Where you can get Trip Shot, I do believe) and EWM and you're golden. Also, throw in some whisper knife, if you're a halfling. Ta-da, you stand a pretty good chance of being an effective ranged tripper, more so than with a Bolas, IMHO.

Still, the Bolas thrower sounds like a FUN thing to do. Just throwing ropes at people. I'd build a Fighter and/or Ranger and PrC to Justiciar and/or Bloodhound (both from CW) for that, probably. And would NOT put returning on it. Get net(s), too. You're bringin' 'em all back alive.
    Sweet avatar of Gikalek by KaptainKrutch.

Now running The Goramitar Games
    IC|OOC

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Silvanos View Post
    As Thomas said; It has done its dirty work.
    Rinse and repeat.
    Yep. As far as I recall, there's no entangling effect; the bolas don't need to be unwound by the target, etc. They're just tripped. The bolas' fate after that is irrelevant to the functionality.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Look into Teleporting, from the Psionic portion of the SRD. While technically psionic, the power it's based off of is also available in magic, and would concievably be the same price (since both are +1 enchantments, and dimension door is lower level than telekinesis for a wizard).

Animate Rope might also be fun.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM