New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default My Paranoid PvP Dungeon Crawl (PF)

Hey guys! So, recently I had what I like to think of as a stroke of genius . I'm in a ballroom dancing club, and recently I posted this on the facebook page. (in the context of a larger proposal)

Spoiler
    Show
    We do an old-school-style dungeon crawl- with a twist. At the beginning of the game I will shuffle a deck of cards and deal one card to each player. If it's a black card, you're a normal humanoid who stands for goodness and light. If it's a red card, you're a secret thrall of the boss monster, a cultist who has embraced the dark, maddening power of the otherworld. Complicating factors may come up during the game, but I'm not going to tell you about them.

The post exploded. Now I have seven people signed up to do this dungeon, with experience ranging from a WotC-certified DM to fresh beginner. I'm going to use a random dungeon generator, and I already have some good plans for this, but does anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

By the way, the system I am using is Pathfinder.
    My wonderful Avatar is by licoot.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Paranoid PvP Dungeon Crawl (PF)

For the first run-through, don't use any red cards.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    For the first run-through, don't use any red cards.
    That, or don't use any black cards.

Either way, combine two identical decks with only half the cards from each, have a carefully pre-stacked deck such that you can cut it without disturbing your arrangement, or otherwise make sure it looks like a regular size deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Better yet, for one playthrough tell everyone they're playing with red cards and black cards but give one player a green card. Tell everyone with the red cards that they win if the party fails, and tell everyone with the black cards that they win if the boss dies, but tell the player with the green card (privately) that they can only win if they reach the boss room, assume their true form using a ritual (becoming a superboss) and eat at least one player from each team.
    Shield-eaters and world leaders have many likes alike

Freelance D20 Design Guy

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Give one player a dark red card. He/she'll start out claiming to be with the black cards once the red cards betray the black cards, but when the timing is right, betray the black's to the red's.
    Prophet of the D1

Avatar by Darklord Bright. Former avatar's by gurgleflep.

Quote Originally Posted by Otacon17 View Post
    Also, he has skill ranks in "Space Guns" and "Space Swords." When I asked him if he meant things like blasters and lightsabers, he said, "No, they're exactly the same as regular guns and swords in every way. But I'm only good with the space ones. If I had a regular Earth weapon, it just wouldn't feel right."
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatOwl View Post
    Ninjas have given you a Mandolin. Are you man enough to master the Mandolin and get your revenge!?