New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 41920212223242526272829303132333435363738 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Index Reloaded --- (Index of the Giant's Comments II)

Here's a radical idea - no voting at all. ThePhantasm is the curator of the thread. Let him choose what to include.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

2. - Top - End - #842
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Here's a radical idea - no voting at all. ThePhantasm is the curator of the thread. Let him choose what to include.
    I, for one, welcome our phantasmal overlord.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

3. - Top - End - #843
    Titan in the Playground

Well, he kinda already does; he is the one who edits stuff into the first post, after all

More seriously though, he's expressed unwillingness in that regard:
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    So again, I'm not interested in this being ThePhantasm's Organization of the Giant's Comments Thread. Frankly, that wouldn't even be that useful in my opinion. In this format that we have, everyone gets to have a say about what's useful, how to organize stuff, what should be included / removed, etc. Sometimes that means stuff gets included that people don't want in there, sometimes that means stuff gets kept out that people want in. But that all comes with the territory of a community project. Sometimes you have to defer to others, because its a community project.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

4. - Top - End - #844
    Troll in the Playground

It's pointless to include "Hit the head", and Bandana's panel doesn't need explanation.
    Last edited by martianmister; 2014-02-05 at 08:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #845
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aye. I casually check on this thread sometimes to see if there's anything interesting that was said, and usually I'm just hit in the face with a wall of votes. It'd be nicer to just see whether there are any interesting new tidbits about the story up.
    !

6. - Top - End - #846
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    As I have explained thrice now, "voting by PM" does not in any way equal "secret voting". Stop misrepresenting the opposition just to make your point.
    As long as their votes are posted by the curator in a single post, their voices are heard without cluttering the thread.
    Such a system would not be secret in hindsight, true. But during the voting period itself, it absolutely could be. Let's say ThePhantasm calls a vote and then doesn't return to the forum for a day or two. In that space of time, the voting would be proceeding but no one would know with what tendency. People who looked in on the thread during that time would not notice that the vote was very close, if it were so, and thus might not vote as they would otherwise have done.

Now, this isn't a terrible flaw--with (eventual) posting of vote tallies, I would, a bit reluctantly, go along with PM voting--but it is a flaw. I still think that infrequent (not more often than monthly), in-thread votes are the happy medium.

P.S. I agree that we don't need the most recent quote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #847

DwarfFighterGuy

For the record, I like this idea.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm for inclusion. Not because of the 'hit the head' clarification, but because it explains part of the Giant's development process. He explains why he put that panel there!
    So I'm for including it.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I'm for inclusion. Not because of the 'hit the head' clarification, but because it explains part of the Giant's development process. He explains why he put that panel there!
    So I'm for including it.
    I agree with this.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Such a system would not be secret in hindsight, true. But during the voting period itself, it absolutely could be. Let's say ThePhantasm calls a vote and then doesn't return to the forum for a day or two. In that space of time, the voting would be proceeding but no one would know with what tendency. People who looked in on the thread during that time would not notice that the vote was very close, if it were so, and thus might not vote as they would otherwise have done.
    That's a feature, not a bug.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed."

Cryptic avatar made by the fantastic Linklele

11. - Top - End - #851
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    So I'm for including it.

Not wanting several strips of a single image isn't so much "Giant development process" as it is "basic comic strip theory."
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #852
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post

Not wanting several strips of a single image isn't so much "Giant development process" as it is "basic comic strip theory."
    And yet, many comicists violate this "basic" theory frequently.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmegil View Post
    And yet, many comicists violate this "basic" theory frequently.
    A.) Just because it's a comic doesn't mean it's a good comic.
    2.) As Mr. Watterson showed in the above strip, it can still totally be done well. Knowing the rules before you can break them and all that.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

14. - Top - End - #854
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    A.) Just because it's a comic doesn't mean it's a good comic.
    2.) As Mr. Watterson showed in the above strip, it can still totally be done well. Knowing the rules before you can break them and all that.
    What does that have to do with the fact that the Giant made a post revealing one of his (admittedly minor) creative choices, and some of us want posts about his creative choices to be added to the index?

15. - Top - End - #855
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine Crow View Post
    That's a feature, not a bug.
    That would depend on the goal, I think. If the intent is to reduce the number of casual voters, it would be a feature; if the intent is to increase participation on close votes, it would be a bug.

I'd rather have more voters, myself.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Dwarf in the Playground

Isn't there a way we can insert polls into this message board? Either directly into the posts or as an off-site link? That would cut down on post clutter considerably while keeping the results visible. Individual votes might not be labeled, but I think we can trust each other not to stuff the ballot box… right?

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Recreator View Post
    Isn't there a way we can insert polls into this message board? Either directly into the posts or as an off-site link? That would cut down on post clutter considerably while keeping the results visible. Individual votes might not be labeled, but I think we can trust each other not to stuff the ballot box… right?
    No, polls have been disabled in this board. Only mods can use them, and they don't, except in some very rare occasions.

I have tried and failed to understand why the absence of immediate updates to the list of votes would impact participation, but assuming this is a problem (and I don't think it is), there are plenty of people who have very fast response times - me, for example - that could be given the subcurator job of keeping up with the votes and updating the table as fast as humanly possible.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

18. - Top - End - #858
    Troll in the Playground

I have tried and failed to understand why the absence of immediate updates to the list of votes would impact participation
    I'll explain again. Say you're a casual sometimes-voter and you see that the thread is voting on a quote. You think that quote should be included, but it's not hugely important to you. If you only see (in the PM-vote version) that there is a vote, and not the totals (because they haven't been updated yet) you might well think "Oh, my vote probably wouldn't matter either way anyway" and not vote, especially as sending a PM is slightly more work. But if you see (in the thread-vote version) that the score is, say, 11 to 12, you would realize that your vote has a very good chance of influencing the outcome, and thus would vote. This means that, in controversial votes, we would get a larger sample size of the forum.
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.

19. - Top - End - #859

AssassinGuy

I'll explain again. Say you're a casual sometimes-voter and you see that the thread is voting on a quote. You think that quote should be included, but it's not hugely important to you. If you only see (in the PM-vote version) that there is a vote, and not the totals (because they haven't been updated yet) you might well think "Oh, my vote probably wouldn't matter either way anyway" and not vote, especially as sending a PM is slightly more work. But if you see (in the thread-vote version) that the score is, say, 11 to 12, you would realize that your vote has a very good chance of influencing the outcome, and thus would vote. This means that, in controversial votes, we would get a larger sample size of the forum.
    What's the difference between that and 6 casual sometimes-voters coming into the thread and seeing that the current vote stands at 6 to 12 and having the same "Oh, my vote probably wouldn't matter either way anyway" thought?

20. - Top - End - #860

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by orrion View Post
    What's the difference between that and 6 casual sometimes-voters coming into the thread and seeing that the current vote stands at 6 to 12 and having the same "Oh, my vote probably wouldn't matter either way anyway" thought?
    The presumption is that when there is a clear majority of votes going one way, that the preferences of the casual sometimes voters aren't going to divide up so radically differently to the already expressed votes as to change things, I guess.
    Last edited by DeliaP; 2014-02-06 at 05:55 PM.
    Geez, what is it with that guy and needing to figure out all the fiddly little details?

I know, right? It's called "Suspension of Disbelief"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyl View Post
    Some speculation turns out to be accurate, some doesn't. I'll deal with it the same way I deal with all other speculative theories I read and/or come up with: by continuing to read the comic, and enjoying it whether the speculation turns out to be right or wrong.
    Spoiler: Can I have an internet?
    Show

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

But if you see (in the thread-vote version) that the score is, say, 11 to 12
    A casual poster is unlikely to come to the thread and start counting votes in order to decide if he needs to vote, especially if at least 23 votes have been cast, probably over a span of at least two pages. Since people do and have changed their votes, counting is also effectively useless unless you can also keep 20 screen names in your head, and remember who voted what. So, in fact, in your scenario the sheer abundance of posts is far more likely to dissuade a casual poster, who can't even find the quote being voted upon, than any imaginary "oh, the result won't be affected by my vote anyway".

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-02-06 at 05:59 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

22. - Top - End - #862

AssassinGuy

A casual poster is unlikely to come to the thread and start counting votes in order to decide if he needs to vote, especially if at least 23 votes have been cast, probably over a span of at least two pages. Since people do and have changed their votes, counting is also effectively useless unless you can also keep 20 screen names in your head, and remember who voted what. So, in fact, in your scenario the sheer abundance of posts is far more likely to dissuade a casual poster, who can't even find the quote being voted upon, than any imaginary "oh, the result won't be affected by my vote anyway".

Grey Wolf
    I know I don't bother to count votes.

23. - Top - End - #863

Thanks! The first interesting post in this thread since several pages!

I personally thought Julio meant hitting Elan on the head for his stupidity, and that the sentence was either a typo by the giant or some slang I didn't know. Now I know it means using the bathroom.Thanks!

24. - Top - End - #864
    Troll in the Playground

Grey Wolf
    The votes are bolded, remember? It's pretty easy to skim through the page and see Yes No No Yes No Yes Yes Yes No No Yes No and tell that the vote is pretty close.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

The votes are bolded, remember? It's pretty easy to skim through the page and see Yes No No Yes No Yes Yes Yes No No Yes No and tell that the vote is pretty close.
    No, because those will not be on the same page, and even if they are you will have to scroll through several screens worth of posts, rather than have them be all lined up in an easily readable format and, as I mentioned as an actual event of past votes, you don't know if some of those votes are a reversal of a previous vote, which now you need to remove from the tally.

A casual reader won't bother to do all that. Far more likely, he will not go back a page to see what the vote is about, and simply leave.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-02-06 at 08:13 PM.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Titan in the Playground

Or conversely, skim through the page and see Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes No Yes Yes No Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes No No Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes No Yes Yes to see that the vote's really weighted in one direction...although if the first five on the page are "yes" it's likely a casual reader will stop skimming by that point. Granted, if we're going to be doing consolidated voting (votes on multiple quotes per post), then "casual" skimming becomes much more difficult.

But at the same, it raises another problem: the discussion for a particular quote could be several pages back, and out of memory when the vote is called (assuming a voter even saw it in the first place). That's why I favor voting by post, so voting and statement of reasoning can happen at the same time, for those inclined to restate their position.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

All of this voting, and talking about voting is getting annoying. People can post links to new comments y the Giant. But ThePhantasm is then the judge on whether it does actually meet the goals of the the thread or not.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Dr_D View Post
    All of this voting, and talking about voting is getting annoying. People can post links to new comments y the Giant. But ThePhantasm is then the judge on whether it does actually meet the goals of the the thread or not.
    He can't be the judge:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Certain project threads are curated by member volunteers who take responsibility for maintaining the consensus of conclusions from discussion, often because they have made the opening post in the thread and thus are the only non-moderators that can edit it. These curators bear no special title, and have no official authority; they are not moderators, and cannot ban discussion of issues they consider settled. Their sole responsibility is to maintain lists of information as represents the threads community's conclusions. Specifically, the curator cannot prevent certain topics from being discussed, prevent any given poster from participating, or make any sort of executive decision on what is or is not included in the opening post of a curated topic.
    (emphasis mine).

Now, he can be an editor, who does a first pass. But if anyone disagrees, consensus must be reached. This is not a quirk of ThePhantasm, it's the rules for these kind of threads.

Grey Wolf

29. - Top - End - #869
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Whats with the assumption casuals are idiots?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to skim through and pick up bolded votes, is this completely accurate, no, but if you want a general feeling of the vote its sufficient. And even if it was difficult inevitably someone seems to go through and post an update on the poll every few pages.

The idea of a Secret ballot seems like a poor idea to me, I only vote on quotes I care about or if an issue is pretty divisive. If a secret ballot was initiated I'd have no clue what the current feelings would be.

I dislike the premature votes to but removing the votes from the thread is a bit overkill and actually makes it harder for people to follow a quote's process. I support this monthly voting blocks, seeing as Phantasm only updates the thread monthly anyways.

I find it a bit Ironic that this initiative to cut down on excessive posts in this thread has actually lengthened it by what seems to be 10 pages

As for the latest Bandanna quote, it really doesn't add anything, The Giant explains a phrase which Google could answer and he explains one of the most basic rules of visual media.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrBurr View Post
    Whats with the assumption casuals are idiots?
    "Uninterested in digging through three pages of voting" ≠ "idiots".

Quote Originally Posted by DrBurr View Post
    The idea of a Secret ballot seems like a poor idea to me, I only vote on quotes I care about or if an issue is pretty divisive. If a secret ballot was initiated I'd have no clue what the current feelings would be.
    Which is why exactly no-one has proposed secret ballots.

Seriously, stop it with the straw man. Try to at least bother to read what "voting by PM" means (now explained 4 times by me) before attacking something it is not.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-02-06 at 09:05 PM.