New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Question Is there a correlation between favored classes and favored musical instruments?

This is an inquiry to Playgrounders at large: Is there a link between the types of musical instruments you play, if any, and the types of classes you tend to play in RPGs, D&D, and so on? I've seen in high school and college marching band that there is a noticeable personality 'type' to each section. I'm not the only one; the jokes on the subject are all over the internet - the "Tales from Band Camp" web-comic for example. I would bet there's a similar link in what classes people like to play, but I don't know enough gamers to guess how it breaks out.

So, I am inviting people to reply with if they play an instrument(s) and if so, which one(s), and if they tend to gravitate to a specific class, or specific archetype, (fighter, cleric, wizard, rogue), through omnivorously playing anything. I'll edit this post periodically to tally the results, and we'll see what happens.

I play the piano, tuba and flute, though the latter was only a few years.
    I almost always play a mage or wizard, no matter whether it's a computer game or tabletop. I've experimented with other classes sometimes, but even then, they're generally a blaster variant.

The friend I was talking with in the conversation that spawned this idea does not play an instrument, but likes the guitar, and tends to play monks, rogues or sorcerers.

My husband plays the piano, and switches between paladin and wizard, but tends to play casters more often.

So, what do you like to play

Edit: First pass results after 15 replies. Explanation of methodology below.
    ----------------Melee/fighter---Ranged/Blaster---Support/Healing---Skills/Misc
    Strings---------------4----------------9----------------9--------------9
    Woodwind------------5----------------5----------------2--------------2
    Brass----------------4-----------------3----------------0--------------1
    Percussion-----------0-----------------0----------------0--------------4
    Piano/Keyboard-------2----------------6----------------1--------------1

Edit 2: Second pass after 35 replies, added Singing.
    ----------------Melee/fighter--Ranged/Blaster--Support/Healing--Skills/Misc
    Strings---------------13------------14---------------12-----------14
    Woodwind-------------6-------------5----------------3------------2
    Brass-----------------6--------------4----------------7-----------5
    Percussion------------0--------------0----------------0------------2
    Piano/Keyboard-------3-------------12----------------5------------5
    Singing---------------9--------------5----------------2-----------10
    Last edited by Pyra; 2013-11-19 at 02:15 PM.
    It was a pleasure to burn

Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Is there a correlation between favored classes and favored musical instruments?

I play bass guitar and prefer martial classes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Default Re: Is there a correlation between favored classes and favored musical instruments?

I am going to completely destroy your math.

I play guitar. My favorite classes are the Master (read:Merchant), and the Healer.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I play the harmonica, I like warrior types and bards.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Clarinet, flute, viola, voice.

I like casters.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I play guitar very poorly and I can't deny I love monks, clerics, and rogues. I especially like a monk/rogue combo (yes, I love me some Unarmed Swordsage)

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I play violin and some viola and prefer builds that can keep enemies at a distance, usually psions, rangers, or wizards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm not much of a musical person. I do have an old clarinet, although I wouldn't say that I play it anymore than any other instrument. I'd probably pick the clarinet to play if I needed to, although for more sentimental reasons than anything else.

The glass harp is neat, though.

I prefer to play Clerics, Paladins, and various "holy knight" characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

cool Re: Is there a correlation between favored classes and favored musical instruments?

Bear in mind that the people who respond here are steeped in optimization culture.

I play cello (12 years, still practicing and playing in orchestra), and often find myself playing classes which can heal (otherwise, the game doesn't have anyone else to do it ). Usually classes like Cleric or Crusader (which heal via spells or class features) or Summoner (which can do it via UMD'd wands). I also enjoy laying down the pain in combat.

Before I got into healers, I did enjoy playing a Wizard and a Factotum until I got bored of curbstomping everything.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Voice and percussion; broadly-skilled characters.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I play the recorder and used to sing in a choir. My favoured classes are fairly beefy and magical - clerics, druids and arcane gishes.

Edit: Victor Borge used to tell us about his father's old viola, and how his father played in a big orcestra, and how the difference between the violin and the viola is that the viola burns longer.
    Anyway, I hope you'll look through the answers and see how your theory is doing and let us all know.
    Last edited by hymer; 2013-11-16 at 07:24 PM.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Relevant to my interests, leaving my lurk for this one.

Primarily I play Bass, although I play a fair bit of acoustic guitar. My preference in any game is to play a Buffer/Healer/Support role.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    Edit: Victor Borge used to tell us about his father's old viola, and how his father played in a big orcestra, and how the difference between the violin and the viola is that the viola burns longer.
    Ah yes, the viola's defining feature

And while we're on the viola jokes: Why do violists stand for long periods outside people's houses? Because they can't find the key and don't know when to come in.

14. - Top - End - #14

I play guitar poorly and trombone. I like casters and martial adepts.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

I haven't played in years, but I did play the trombone all throughout middle and high school. I like big stompy tanky smashy dudes (and whacking other brass players in the back of the head with an errant slide from time to time).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

I "play" (rock) guitar and (classical) piano. I play any kind of character.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Okay, tallied results to this point. Doing a very coarse grouping until more data is acquired. Split classes into the rough archetypes of Melee, Caster/Ranged, Support/Healing, and Skills/Misc, and the instruments into Strings, Woodwind, Percussion, Brass, and Piano/keyboard. Every response gets 4 points, split out if more than one category of instrument or classes are played. Edited the resulting chart into the top post too.

----------------Melee/fighter---Ranged/Blaster---Support/Healing---Skills/Misc
    Strings---------------4----------------9----------------9--------------9
    Woodwind------------5----------------5----------------2--------------2
    Brass----------------4-----------------3----------------0--------------1
    Percussion-----------0-----------------0----------------0--------------4
    Piano/Keyboard-------2----------------6----------------1--------------1
    It was a pleasure to burn

Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Where does Karaoke fit into this spectrum?
    I like noble warriors of good and uncanny little weirdos that defy the norms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Strings and I usually play skill monkeys.

20. - Top - End - #20

Piano, and I'm a sucker for versatility-based characters - that often means casters (e.g. illusions, teleportation, summoning, divination), but I don't tend to favor blasting. So I guess you could call that Skills or Support?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
    Piano, and I'm a sucker for versatility-based characters - that often means casters (e.g. illusions, teleportation, summoning, divination), but I don't tend to favor blasting. So I guess you could call that Skills or Support?
    I'd call that support, to be quite honest. Skills I'd think would be stuff like opening locks, disabling traps, that sort of thing.

22. - Top - End - #22

PirateWench

First a bit of nit-picking... isn't piano actually a string instrument?

In any case, I play the piano, some guitar (although worse than my brother), could play some basic electric bass too and I have played some basic percussions although it was a while ago... and even longer since I played wooden flute but I could probably get into it in a month if I had to. I also sing in a choir.

As for what sort of classes I play it varies a lot. I have made clerics and barbarians and rogues and arcane spellcasters and rangers and... well I like variation.

But if we have to narrow it down, my best intrsument is the piano and my favorite class is sorcerer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Blue text for sarcasm is an important writing tool. Everybody should use it when they are saying something clearly false.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lorsa View Post
    A wise man once said:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lehrer
    I have a song here which, I realize, should be accompanied on a folk instrument, in which category the piano does not, alas, qualify. So imagine, if you will, that I am playing an 88-string guitar!
    But I think it's fair to categorize it either way. Certainly the playing of a piano and the violin bear sufficiently little resemblance, which bears it out insofar as this bit of research is concerned.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

I've played some guitar in school (though it was a long long time ago) and I prefer warrior types.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lorsa View Post
    Pianos do use strings, but they aren't "string instruments", per se. (In particular, string instruments can all be played with fingering and in pizzicato, and even with considerable similarities in basic technique, but a piano cannot be played with either.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't play an instrument, but I do sing, if that qualifies me for this.

I generally play gish types or hybrid caster/role classes. I like being able to do a little of both.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

My wife used to play flute (forced in elementary school) and the accordion.
    She likes to play Barbarians and druids and Archers (most likely ranger).

I tried my luck with an e-guitar but due to time constraints never really learned it. I prefer gishing, martial and easy-bake(spontaneous or fixed/small list[I have analysis paralysis most of the times with my cleric]) casters. (Dislike prepared casting but I am really fond of druid and cleric).
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

I don't play an instrument (but i used to sing) and i prefer cleric/paladin
    M0rdain - .... "i'm sure i'll find somethign interesting for here later"

29. - Top - End - #29

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    Pianos do use strings, but they aren't "string instruments", per se. (In particular, string instruments can all be played with fingering and in pizzicato, and even with considerable similarities in basic technique, but a piano cannot be played with either.)
    I guess what bothers me is when people assume that organ and piano is basically the same instrument and if you can play one you can play the other just beucase the keyboard is similar. While the keyboard is the same, the way they produce sound is vastly different and this has a much larger impact on the instrument than what some people realize.

So I guess it all depends how you like to categorize your instruments. There are some ackordions that uses a keyboard similar to that of a piano but that doesn't make them the same type of instrument.

But yes, I know that pianos usually don't count among string instruments. I do believe it should though! How it produce sound is more important to me than how they are played.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Blue text for sarcasm is an important writing tool. Everybody should use it when they are saying something clearly false.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Piano. I gravitate to charismatic characters generally (social Rogue, Warlock, Bard).

My wife is a trained vocalist (majored in voice, in undergrad), with a heavy emphasis on music theory. She's playing for the first time as an Artificer.

EDIT: Also, you might want to include people who don't play musical instruments at all. Including the control would help figure out any general biases.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2013-11-18 at 09:42 AM.