New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Strip 932, panel 6, Julio says...

"...and she spit out a couple of rugrats."

I'd write this sentence "and she spat out a couple of rugrats". I'm assuming that this is a difference in conjugation of the verb to spit between US and UK English? Or perhaps a typo?

I noticed this before I noticed Vampire-Bat-Durkon. Which probably says something about me.
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Strip 932, panel 6, Julio says...

Quote Originally Posted by sam79 View Post
    "...and she spit out a couple of rugrats."

I'd write this sentence "and she spat out a couple of rugrats". I'm assuming that this is a difference in conjugation of the verb to spit between US and UK English? Or perhaps a typo?

I noticed this before I noticed Vampire-Bat-Durkon. Which probably says something about me.
    The OED lists both spit and spat as both past tense and past participle, with no specific indication of British or American English.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Spit is perfectly fine as a past tense form, in America at least. Gotta use those context clues!
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

I've noticed that too... I assumed like you that it is US vs UK. I'm British and I've only seen/heard -at used in this context (for various words, including one that rhymes with spit and spat...) and to be honest (again like you, I'm thinking) seeing the -it version used in past tense just doesn't look right!

5. - Top - End - #5

I'm Italian, and I don't know. Ciao :)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pandoren View Post
    I've noticed that too... I assumed like you that it is US vs UK. I'm British and I've only seen/heard -at used in this context (for various words, including one that rhymes with spit and spat...) and to be honest (again like you, I'm thinking) seeing the -it version used in past tense just doesn't look right!
    If you're referring to the slang term for a certain bodily function, the -it form works for both present and past tense here in America. I've heard -at used, but not nearly as often.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

This is exactly why I love and hate the English language... You would think the difference would be because of the European-Americas-Australian divide when it comes to the different words used... But really it is the language itself that makes things like this happen.

I must say that spat does sound better, but I'm from the backwoods of Kentucky and I've heard the word spit used all the time.

Actually my neighbor's dog was named "Spit" ...
    Last edited by Perseus; 2013-11-25 at 12:10 PM.
    [/opinion]... Usually.

Weapon Skills (Rough Draft 1)
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Weapon-Skills

Coming soon! Some 8 Bit Sub-Classes!
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ings)-(WIP!!!)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    This is exactly why I love and hate the English language... You would think the difference would be because of the European-Americas-Australian divide when it comes to the different words used... But really it is the language itself that makes things like this happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by wiktionary
    Spit as the past form is common only in the US, while spat is common everywhere.
    Seems like it is the US/UK divide in this case, though what I found interesting is that some "americanisms" such as "airplane" originated in the UK, but only caught on overseas.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I thought it was a particularly grotesque way of expressing the event, all things considered, but then again, I also figured it's Julio, who probably belongs to the "doesn't give a damn" school of speaking and just says whatever pops into his head, so I shrugged it off.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

10. - Top - End - #10

RedKnightGirl

Maybe the answer to this conundrum can be discovered by analyzing the exact contents of the digestive excretion from the individual's mouth.

Or a Thesaurus.

11. - Top - End - #11

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Klear View Post
    Seems like it is the US/UK divide in this case, though what I found interesting is that some "americanisms" such as "airplane" originated in the UK, but only caught on overseas.
    Ah, like "soccer"!!
    Geez, what is it with that guy and needing to figure out all the fiddly little details?

I know, right? It's called "Suspension of Disbelief"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyl View Post
    Some speculation turns out to be accurate, some doesn't. I'll deal with it the same way I deal with all other speculative theories I read and/or come up with: by continuing to read the comic, and enjoying it whether the speculation turns out to be right or wrong.
    Spoiler: Can I have an internet?
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Klear View Post
    Nah, the spit/spat isn't a UK/US divide thing. Spat is used in the US, just not as common where I'm originally from.

This is just an English language oddity.

A UK/US divide difference would be like Gray versus Grey or using words differently (slang). But with spit, it can be used for different tense based on the language not based on what country is using it.

*shrug*
    [/opinion]... Usually.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Nah, the spit/spat isn't a UK/US divide thing. Spat is used in the US, just not as common where I'm originally from.

This is just an English language oddity.

A UK/US divide difference would be like Gray versus Grey or using words differently (slang). But with spit, it can be used for different tense based on the language not based on what country is using it.

*shrug*
    I'm not British or American, English isn't even my language, but I'll rather trust a dictionary rather than a random person on the internet. It could be you live in an area where the UK version is used more, but in general it is divided across the Atlantic. After all, the US are huge, there's bound to be a lot of local differences.

Of course, the dictionary could be wrong (it is a wiki after all), but your anecdotal evidence isn't enough for me.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I disagree with you - while 'spat' is apparently used in both countries, the use of 'spit' in the past tense is a UK/US thing because it's only considered valid in the latter. Rather the opposite of -ized vs -ised, where AFAIK only the former is used in the US whereas we accept both.

15. - Top - End - #15

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FLHerne View Post
    I disagree with you - while 'spat' is apparently used in both countries, the use of 'spit' in the past tense is a UK/US thing because it's only considered valid in the latter. Rather the opposite of -ized vs -ised, where AFAIK only the former is used in the US whereas we accept both.
    +Sigh+

The mechanics of English is weird and allow for both, the problem stems from this and not from cultural aspects. The cultural aspect is just not using something that is mechanically sound NOT the mechanics itself.

Just because many people don't use horrid doesn't mean it isn't a mechanically sound word, but a cultural aspect of regions.

I stopped being an English major long ago so I'm just going to be done now... Way to troublesome to deal with thia... Or to explain it by typing/writing (always loved the philosophy, theory, and history... not so much the explaining haha).
    [/opinion]... Usually.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

+Sigh+

The mechanics of English is weird and allow for both, the problem stems from this and not from cultural aspects. The cultural aspect is just not using something that is mechanically sound NOT the mechanics itself.

Just because many people don't use horrid doesn't mean it isn't a mechanically sound word, but a cultural aspect of regions.

I stopped being an English major long ago so I'm just going to be done now... Way to troublesome to deal with thia... Or to explain it by typing/writing (always loved the philosophy, theory, and history... not so much the explaining haha).
    You know, I can't even parse that first sentence...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quick! Somebody cast Comprehend Language!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The trouble with the English language is that it is an Abomination Unto Nuggan, derived as it is from two dissimilar language groups, Upper Germanic and the Romance languages (themselves Abominations Unto Nuggan, but that's a separate issue). The differences between the dialects of English spoken in North America and the dialects of English spoken in the U.K., boil down to one uncontestable fact: North American English has incorporated many words and phrases from Yiddish, a language Blessed by Om.

EDIT: On a more serious note, the verbs "spit" and "spat" can be used interchangeably when referring to ejecting something, in this case as an idiom for having several children. ("Spit out/Spat out some rugrats.") It's not worth getting worked up over. I should note that spitting, in terms of expectorating saliva, is an Abomination Unto Nuggan.
    Last edited by Sir_Leorik; 2013-11-26 at 05:19 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

Yiddish? Seems like a weird source for phrases. What phrases used in North American English come from Yiddish?
    Agincourt Gambit

Credits to PessimismRocks for the awesome avatar.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbad Ironclaw View Post
    Yiddish? Seems like a weird source for phrases. What phrases used in North American English come from Yiddish?
    You ask which phrases come from Yiddish? Which ones don't come from Yiddish!

21. - Top - End - #21

MindFlayer

Oy vey, you can't think of even one? Well, mazel tov to you anyway.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"You want I should..." is a nice example.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Leorik View Post
    North American English has incorporated many words and phrases from Yiddish, a language Blessed by Om.
    Then of course, Yiddish is Robin Hood among languages. Takes from the rich and gives to the poor.
    Last edited by Klear; 2013-11-26 at 06:39 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I find it's best to think of American English and British English to be actually two separate languages with roughly a 75% crossover rate. I mean, they've been diverging for around 400 years now, at least.

24. - Top - End - #24

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I find it's best to think of American English and British English to be actually two separate languages with roughly a 75% crossover rate. I mean, they've been diverging for around 400 years now, at least.
    Not really. There's been continuous cross-fertilization for the whole period, after all.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiox View Post
    Not really. There's been continuous cross-fertilization for the whole period, after all.
    Yup. Where do you think we Yanks picked up the term "Soccer" in the first place? From immigrants from the U.K., who started a Football "Association" in New Jersey or Massachusetts (not sure which) and didn't bother to mention that "Soccer" was only the Cockney term for the sport.

I'm sure that there are examples of North American English words creeping into the U.K. English vocabulary, but it's late and I can't think of any off the top of my head.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiox View Post
    Well, yes, that's why the crossover rate is so high. It's still true to say that they've been diverging, though.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Well, yes, that's why the crossover rate is so high. It's still true to say that they've been diverging, though.
    That divergence is occurring for a variety of reasons. One of the primary one is that the United States and Canada have large immigrant populations who provide loan words to North American English. While the U.K. has a large immigrant population, I'm not sure whether or not loan words from Hindi, Urdu, or any other non-English language are making inroads in U.K. English. North American English has received loan words from German, Italian, Polish, Yiddish, Spanish, French, Creole, and Mandarin, to name just a few. There are also regional dialects, ethnic dialects, and shared words that diverge in meaning.

That being said, everyone understood the "rugrats" pun in panel 6, right?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground

Off the top of my head: schlemiel, schlep, schmear, schmuck… and I'm neither Jewish nor from NYC!

More from Wikipedia that I know the meanings of:

bagel, bupkis (though often pronounced "butt-kiss"), chutzpah, kibitz, klutz, kvetch, maven, nosh, putz, schlock, schlong, schlub, schmaltz, schmo, schmooze, schnoz, spiel, spritz, tchotchke, tukhus/tush, verklempt

I suppose it's possible I learned all these from Judd Hirsch's character in Independence Day…

(Also, I've now convinced myself that every word starting with "sch" in the English language comes from Yiddish…)
    Last edited by colanderman; 2013-11-27 at 12:06 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by colanderman View Post
    Off the top of my head: schlemiel, schlep, schmear, schmuck… and I'm neither Jewish nor from NYC!
    I daresay those are words, not phrases.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by colanderman View Post
    (Also, I've now convinced myself that every word starting with "sch" in the English language comes from Yiddish…)
    You're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by jere7my
    I daresay those are words, not phrases.
    Phrases-shmrases! I gave you an example of a phrase which came from Yiddish earlier.