New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Tactical Question - Haley

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    So...it doesn't happen but when it does the legal system is heavily slanted toward the woman?
    No it doesn't happen because the legal system is so heavily slanted against it.

All teachers have to keep both their sex lives and private lives under close wraps, it's the nature of the profession.
    My organs for your soul.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Ward. View Post
    No it doesn't happen because the legal system is so heavily slanted against it.
    Look, it's sweet that you don't think it happens, but it does. It has happened to women I personally know, who lost their jobs because someone at work got wind of their sexual habits. In one case, a creep in a different department hacked into her personal email account, found a picture of her in the bath with exactly one (1) nipple showing, and distributed it on a company-wide forum. She lost her job; he didn't. Maybe she'd've had a legal case, if she'd had the free time and the money to pursue one, but why should she even have to?

Even a woman who doesn't lose her job altogether can suffer professional consequences (like being passed over for promotion) because of the things people learn about her sex life. Even if that happens to be illegal in your state, it's a very difficult case to prove.

What's your legal opinion of this one, from four months ago?

An Iowa dentist did not engage in unlawful gender discrimination when he fired his assistant after concluding she was so attractive that he feared they might have an extramarital affair, the Iowa Supreme Court ruled on Friday.

The seven justices, all male, threw out a gender discrimination lawsuit, saying that the dentist’s actions may have been unfair to the longtime female employee, but that his conduct did not amount to sex discrimination.
    http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice...wa-court-rules

Heavily slanted indeed!

All teachers have to keep both their sex lives and private lives under close wraps, it's the nature of the profession.
    Apart from the fact that teachers should be permitted to have a fulfilling sex life just like anyone else, only one of the three examples I gave had anything to do with teachers.
    Last edited by jere7my; 2013-11-27 at 12:31 AM.

3. - Top - End - #363

AssassinGuy

My legal opinion is "how are those 7 judges still employed?"

4. - Top - End - #364

ClericGirl

While that is staggeringly unfair and I've found myself agreeing with just about everything jere7my's said in this topic, I think that crosses the thin line between a conceptual discussion about real world gender politics and a real world political discussion.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by orrion View Post
    My legal opinion is "how are those 7 judges still employed?"
    How? The earliest any of their terms expire is 2016, that's how.

As for why, that's a whole other bundle of wax. EDIT: and one that, as oppyu points out, probably isn't appropriate conversation fodder.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2013-11-27 at 02:07 AM.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

That's not a case of gender descrimination or even sexism, it's an employers right to fire people they don't feel comfortable working with (for what ever reason).

Secondly it's cute that you have such a poor understanding of the legal process yet still feel free to comment on it.
    Explain to your friend that there are many avenues available to her and that bringing nude photos of a co-worker to a work envitoment is sexual harassment against her and any other employee who is made uncomfortable by it. That's actually such a cut and dry case that I have trouble believing it really happened.
    In regards to cost and time, there are many womens rights organisations, unions and feminist leaning lawyers who will do the case for free or for very little compensation.
    My organs for your soul.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: Thread locked for review. Seems to have derailed into legal advice and real world politics, both inappropriate topics.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex