New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Broken items

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Broken items

Is there a spell that will restore broken magical items to their full glory? Say the BBEG got hit by a resonant bolt and it stripped him of all his items making himeasy kill for the party but thhe party cannot revel in the apparent (non-XP) fruits of their labor since all his magic stuff was creamed by the resonant bolt?

Make whole can only make them whole but does not bring back their magical properties, right?
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Broken items

Two things to think about, spells like mending for one, and the other is gathering up all the pieces, and reforging the item at half the cost...since you're really just repairing the old one.

I think that would be allowed by most reasonable DMs, unless there was some particular reason for why the pieces won't work again.
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

uhm, they were hit by a (fairly powerful, 3rd level) spell that specifically targets objects
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cupkeyk View Post
    Is there a spell that will restore broken magical items to their full glory? Say the BBEG got hit by a resonant bolt and it stripped him of all his items making himeasy kill for the party but thhe party cannot revel in the apparent (non-XP) fruits of their labor since all his magic stuff was creamed by the resonant bolt?
    Wish. Maybe. The safe "Undo Misfortune" clause lets you re-roll a saving throw.

It will, however, teach the party not to use such mega-weapon spells....
    Quote Originally Posted by cupkeyk View Post
    Make whole can only make them whole but does not bring back their magical properties, right?
    That would be correct.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

5. - Top - End - #5

Candle of invocation. What you can't do with Gate isn't worth doing.
    Don’t date the sane ones, they’ll only make you crazy. Date the really insane ones but never let them know where you live or work.

6. - Top - End - #6

Ooooh what about Soverign Glue? That stuff is awesome, make your player roll a craft weapon check and he better make it the first time

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I would let wish do it but depending on the loot it may not be worth the cost.
    Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for
    anything, but you still can't help but smile when
    you see one tumble down the stairs.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

Magic items lose their properties when destroyed, they can be repaired, but only by someone with the appropriate craft feat, and the only real benefit is that you wouldn't need to supply the material cost, you're just enchanting the same object again with the same abilities...
    as far as wish is concerned, I'd say it will only create or "re-create" a magic item with an XP cost quite a bit less than it's own XP cost.