New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gamer

1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: The Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    He could probably pick up a lesson from the Witch of Slaughter too.
    She is the personification of the joke, "You can't spell slaughter without laughter!"
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Colossus in the Playground

Actually, that's an interesting question - we know that his ability lets him consume a skill book to learn the ability described in it...but does it actually give him the knowledge, or just the skill? If there's a chapter or something that doesn't pertain to the skill, does he know about it? He might actually have to read the book on magic like a normal person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

New raws up.

Spoiler
    Show
    He learns the Earth Elemental summoning spell, but when he looks at the other book..... lol I can't even describe it. My buddy that speaks some Korean isn't around to ask for info.

The loli/wolf duo are standing over a pile of corpses talking a little bit.

Jee-Han talks to Sun-Il about the stuff he bought.

Not too much happening overall, bit of a breather chapter.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

Speed translation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Although mostly you can tell what's going on in this chapter without it. Seems like he can only learn specific techniques from books, not abstract concepts, so the basic magic theory book doesn't work with his ability (although he thinks he might still gain something if he actually reads it.)

He seems to think his mom is using some trick now, just like we do, and isn't really level 15.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Speed translation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Although mostly you can tell what's going on in this chapter without it. Seems like he can only learn specific techniques from books, not abstract concepts, so the basic magic theory book doesn't work with his ability (although he thinks he might still gain something if he actually reads it.)

He seems to think his mom is using some trick now, just like we do, and isn't really level 15.
    Right now I'm thinking that his mom is away at some Abyss council/meeting/mission whatever, and the level 15 one we see is a doppleganger/placeholder she uses so Jee-Han doesn't notice she's gone.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Bugbear in the Playground

so, now we know he actually does learn the knowledge contained in the book, but he can only use the skill function if there is an actual skill or spell in the book. also, getting access to all the elementals from one book is so hax. not only does he get to skip the time it takes other people to learn the skills, but he also gets to save all that money. this is assuming he can figure out how to use the other elements on his own. he should see if there's a helpfile or tutorial in the menu telling him what all the elements are.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The PCs were already a special forces type unit in a kingdom's military, so the campaign started in the general's office.

Extended Homebrew Signature

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Right now I'm thinking that his mom is away at some Abyss council/meeting/mission whatever, and the level 15 one we see is a doppleganger/placeholder she uses so Jee-Han doesn't notice she's gone.
    That makes a lot of sense. I suspect she is off killing people who abuse their powers.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

This is amazing. I love the concept, story, and art. I wish it translated faster but I'll deal with it.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

That makes a lot of sense. I suspect she is off killing people who abuse their powers.
    Where does that idea come from? i think the Abyss auction is a rather good example of how its a world of might making right, and that the only justice there is to be found there is the one you can deliver yourself or though your allies.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    This is amazing. I love the concept, story, and art. I wish it translated faster but I'll deal with it.
    The speed translations are actually incredibly fast (they're up-to-date right now.)

11. - Top - End - #281
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Where does that idea come from? i think the Abyss auction is a rather good example of how its a world of might making right, and that the only justice there is to be found there is the one you can deliver yourself or though your allies.
    We know there is a force that punishes those who risk revealing the masquerade. Whether or not it's personified, it's a thing that exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

We know there is a force that punishes those who risk revealing the masquerade. Whether or not it's personified, it's a thing that exists.
    Indeed, but that punishment is not based upon you abusing your powers or not, only upon you revealing them.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

Indeed, but that punishment is not based upon you abusing your powers or not, only upon you revealing them.
    Until we actually see it happen, all we have is hearsay from Sun-Il as to what allegedly happens and what triggers it.

It is not unreasonable to think that there is a secret organization in the Abyss that polices the ability users and is actually what is killing users that reveal themselves, while spreading rumors that 'Gaia' is doing it. Or to think that the Mother is a member of said organization.

Heck, honestly the whole thing might be BS and Sun-Il was just trying to scare Jee-Han into keeping his ability quiet.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

14. - Top - End - #284
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

From what I gathered from that whole segment, it wasn't revealing it, it was the profiting and creating something from nothing that was discouraged(why Sun-Il was also really amazed when the monsters dropped those potions and money, since he was creating something for nothing).

Also, seems to me that the example they used as 'good' use of power(a guy using his powers to make his roles taste better) is far more revealing(since it's easier to steal all his ingredients/recipe and realize it doesn't taste remotely the same) then if a guy wins a lottery once(people win lotteries, it happens why they're still around. If one guy is winning a hundred lotteries in a row, alright, there's a case to be made there, but story made it seem like if you use the power to win a lottery once, thou shalt be smote).

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Until we actually see it happen, all we have is hearsay from Sun-Il as to what allegedly happens and what triggers it.
    You mean the so far most trustworthy and reliable source of information we have

It is not unreasonable to think that there is a secret organization in the Abyss that polices the ability users and is actually what is killing users that reveal themselves, while spreading rumors that 'Gaia' is doing it. Or to think that the Mother is a member of said organization.
    Actually.. yes it is, we have absolutely zero evidence of such an organisation existing, while the most reliable source of information we have directly conflicts with this theory.
    At the same time, with such a huge variation of powers found among ability users, then i find it extremely unlikely that a organisation would be able to get away with this undiscovered.

From what I gathered from that whole segment, it wasn't revealing it, it was the profiting and creating something from nothing that was discouraged(why Sun-Il was also really amazed when the monsters dropped those potions and money, since he was creating something for nothing).
    The translation i read said that it happend when a power that goes against the laws of physics is used to largely affect the real world, and explained further to be when powers were used to affect the real world or the ordinary people.

Also, seems to me that the example they used as 'good' use of power(a guy using his powers to make his roles taste better) is far more revealing(since it's easier to steal all his ingredients/recipe and realize it doesn't taste remotely the same) then if a guy wins a lottery once(people win lotteries, it happens why they're still around. If one guy is winning a hundred lotteries in a row, alright, there's a case to be made there, but story made it seem like if you use the power to win a lottery once, thou shalt be smote).
    I will give you that the examples are not very consistent though, because winning the lottery is something thats completely random. But if you break into a kitchen at a 5 star resturant, and tries to use the recipy book there and the ingrediants to cook a meal, are there then any of your friends who would be surprised if it did not become as good as what were normally served at the resturant?

16. - Top - End - #286
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I will give you that the examples are not very consistent though, because winning the lottery is something thats completely random. But if you break into a kitchen at a 5 star resturant, and tries to use the recipy book there and the ingrediants to cook a meal, are there then any of your friends who would be surprised if it did not become as good as what were normally served at the resturant?
    Ya, definitely a factor of skill involved that I kind of glossed over. Main thrust is that one is easier to discover then another from their examples.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

You mean the so far most trustworthy and reliable source of information we have

Actually.. yes it is, we have absolutely zero evidence of such an organisation existing, while the most reliable source of information we have directly conflicts with this theory.
    At the same time, with such a huge variation of powers found among ability users, then i find it extremely unlikely that a organisation would be able to get away with this undiscovered.

The translation i read said that it happend when a power that goes against the laws of physics is used to largely affect the real world, and explained further to be when powers were used to affect the real world or the ordinary people.

You don't know much about cooking, do you? Especially in the world of gourmet food, following the recipe isn't enough, and can result in large variances in flavors with just slight differences in the cooking process. Especially if the recipe contains such ambiguous steps as, 'season lightly'. One person's opinion of what 'season lightly' is may differ wildly from what another person's is.

You also have no way of acquiring the exact ingredients that the chef used. Differences in meat quality, bread, cheeses, spice consistency, or other ingredients can cause a large difference in taste. Some chefs will get, grind and mix their own spices - you have no way of reproducing those ingredients. Other restaurants have deals with specific providers to provide an exact quality of ingredient - without knowing that or getting them from the same source, no way to do that either.

Slight variations in the equipment (oven, stove, mixer, blender, etc) used can also change the flavor of a dish. On the extreme end you have the difference between a gas and electric stove/oven (yes you can taste the difference). On the less extreme, but still noticeable end, you have an over or stove that is a few degrees off. That can throw off the whole dish.

If somebody stole a recipe from a 5 star restaurant I'd quite frankly be SHOCKED if they could reproduce the exact dish. Even another 5-star chef couldn't necessarily reproduce the exact results. Sure it would probably taste good, but it wouldn't be the same.

On the other note - we also have absolutely zero evidence of 'Gaia' taking any direct hand at all in matters, other than Sun-Il's single statement.

Given Jee-Han's ability, it is completely possible (likely even), that as he receives 'quests' which appear to be generated by Gaia, other Shinin ability users receive 'missions', 'requests', whatever, from their abilities, to further whatever ends.

So rather than a bolt of lightning striking from the heaves, we have Jee-Han get a quest to 'eliminate Evil Ability User XXXDUDE who threatens to reveal the Abyss to humans'.

There has to be some kind of council/ruling body controlling the Abyss, even if it is nothing more than all of the factions agreeing to stay out of each other's business, or getting together to discuss renegades, there has to be some kind of official structure.

Otherwise, in the world of might makes right, why isn't the baddest, strongest guy in the Abyss dictator for life and lording it over everybody else?

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

You don't know much about cooking, do you? Especially in the world of gourmet food, following the recipe isn't enough, and can result in large variances in flavors with just slight differences in the cooking process. Especially if the recipe contains such ambiguous steps as, 'season lightly'. One person's opinion of what 'season lightly' is may differ wildly from what another person's is.

You also have no way of acquiring the exact ingredients that the chef used. Differences in meat quality, bread, cheeses, spice consistency, or other ingredients can cause a large difference in taste. Some chefs will get, grind and mix their own spices - you have no way of reproducing those ingredients. Other restaurants have deals with specific providers to provide an exact quality of ingredient - without knowing that or getting them from the same source, no way to do that either.

Slight variations in the equipment (oven, stove, mixer, blender, etc) used can also change the flavor of a dish. On the extreme end you have the difference between a gas and electric stove/oven (yes you can taste the difference). On the less extreme, but still noticeable end, you have an over or stove that is a few degrees off. That can throw off the whole dish.

If somebody stole a recipe from a 5 star restaurant I'd quite frankly be SHOCKED if they could reproduce the exact dish. Even another 5-star chef couldn't necessarily reproduce the exact results. Sure it would probably taste good, but it wouldn't be the same.
    You.. kinda managed to completely miss the entire point i were making there..

To repeat the important part "are there then any of your friends who would be surprised if it did not become as good as what were normally served at the resturant?"

On the other note - we also have absolutely zero evidence of 'Gaia' taking any direct hand at all in matters, other than Sun-Il's single statement.
    We still have more evidence for this theory than for any other.. as this as at least is supported by the comic.

Given Jee-Han's ability, it is completely possible (likely even), that as he receives 'quests' which appear to be generated by Gaia, other Shinin ability users receive 'missions', 'requests', whatever, from their abilities, to further whatever ends.

So rather than a bolt of lightning striking from the heaves, we have Jee-Han get a quest to 'eliminate Evil Ability User XXXDUDE who threatens to reveal the Abyss to humans'.
    Possible yes.. considering that we have a person with a "gamer" ability.
    Likely no, why hand tasks out like that, to someone less likely to complete them perfectly?

There has to be some kind of council/ruling body controlling the Abyss, even if it is nothing more than all of the factions agreeing to stay out of each other's business, or getting together to discuss renegades, there has to be some kind of official structure.
    Yes.. the official structure consist of powerfull groups staking a claim on the territory they life in.

Otherwise, in the world of might makes right, why isn't the baddest, strongest guy in the Abyss dictator for life and lording it over everybody else?
    Thats.. kinda what the Abyss auction house has done.. you know.. the place where human slaves are openly sold and traded?

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoa View Post

I think the issue is mostly that attracting attention is bad. The rule is that if your power affects the real world too much, you get in trouble.

If you make really tasty food, nobody is going to notice, but if you use your power to win the lottery, it'll have a relatively big impact on the real world. The seaweed roll guy was all right because "it didn't affect anyone too much".
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2014-05-12 at 06:06 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

New chapter out and translated (by Mangacow, now.)

Spoiler
    Show
    Reminds me of playing SMT and games like that... which is probably deliberate.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2014-05-16 at 04:17 AM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Okay, I should have posted my suspicion this Earth Elemental would turn out small\cute. Then I could have claimed to have called it. Meh.

In other news, so now he's gone from buying stuff from an orgnization with the not-at-all-suspicious name of The Abyss to binding his soul to an elemental he just met. Am I too paranoid, or is he nowhere near paranoid enough?
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2014-05-16 at 09:38 AM.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

I wondered how everyone was ahead of me. I was reading this site (stuck at Ch 33) http://www.batoto.net/read/_/240875/...ch33_by_oneora

23. - Top - End - #293
    Bugbear in the Playground

yeah, that translating group broke up recently, which is why the name switched from bapscans to oneora. oneora is part of the original group that is still working on several projects, albeit at a much slower pace, since they have less manpower.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The PCs were already a special forces type unit in a kingdom's military, so the campaign started in the general's office.

Extended Homebrew Signature

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

The more I hear, the stronger my suspicion that his mother is the Existence Eater grows.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-05-16 at 07:47 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

The more I hear, the stronger my suspicion that his mother is the Existence Eater grows.
    Besides the minor issue of the Existance Eater being rather widely known, and a man..?

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

Besides the minor issue of the Existance Eater being rather widely known, and a man..?
    You seem to be treating your assumptions as fact.

We know literally nothing about existence eater's age, gender, appearance, or personality for sure. All we know is that they are an extremely powerful individual, and live in the area.

And only the fact that there IS an Existence Eater is widely known. It's pretty likely that they can change their appearance with magic, or simply wear some kind of disguise while acting as the EE (given the melodramatic name, I fully expect Jee-Han to first encounter the EE in full-on Shinigami garb with a mask).

The 'LOL ACTUALLY A WOMAN' (or a kid) reveal is pretty standard these days, especially when somebody is built up to be powerful over a long period of time without actually showing them.

Given that we've already confirmed that Black Summoner is not the Existence Eater (and presumably the Auction House leader was not, as Sun-Il probably would have thought to mention oh by the way that dude is X), literally the ONLY local ??? character we have seen that is not a member of the 2 clans is the mother.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-05-17 at 09:10 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

27. - Top - End - #297
    Barbarian in the Playground

Do we know anything about the father?
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Mormegil View Post
    Do we know anything about the father?
    Almost nothing, he was mentioned in passing in one of the earlier chapters as a businessman who is gone for long periods of time, but that's about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is an Abyss ability user as well, if he ever shows up.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

29. - Top - End - #299
    Barbarian in the Playground

He might be the Existence Eater, too. If you want to go full nuts, mom is a construct or servant and the protagonist is adopted / created / reincarnated / amnesiac.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Mormegil View Post
    He might be the Existence Eater, too. If you want to go full nuts, mom is a construct or servant and the protagonist is adopted / created / reincarnated / amnesiac.
    The Dad being the EE wouldn't particularly surprise me.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!