Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gamer

1. - Top - End - #511
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoa View Post
    Well...I don't really know what his plan is, but it is clearly just a bad idea talking about his power openly. Especially after he's seen that people are willing to pay a lot of money for that information.

Although, that Detect Bloodlust skill might be really useful if he gets it up to a high enough level, as it might help him spot an ambush coming.

Either way, woo mostly redundant chapter.
    I didn't find it redundant. It's moving the plot more than most, even if it's only character development/interaction.

I also don't think telling her about his ability is a big deal. She doesn't seem the chatty type, or the type to betray his trust. It might get back to the man in black, but honestly "I want to heal your daughter's terrible illness" isn't the most terrible message to send.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I didn't find it redundant. It's moving the plot more than most, even if it's only character development/interaction.

I also don't think telling her about his ability is a big deal. She doesn't seem the chatty type, or the type to betray his trust. It might get back to the man in black, but honestly "I want to heal your daughter's terrible illness" isn't the most terrible message to send.
    Was mostly referring to the internal monologue about the date stuff. It kind of works as character development for the girl, but just felt a bit drawn out to me and filled up most of the chapter.

And talking about the ability to her isn't necessarily a problem, it's just who knows who is around, and what sort of powers they have. If people already know he is an ability user, there might be people with long range surveillance abilities who are going to follow him around to get information to sell on the Black Market and him giving any hints to his ability may be valuable for people coming up with counter strategies to him.

Also given that his ability is so free form, without giving it the 'Gaming' context it'd likely be very confusing for people just watching him. Since he can do magic, summoning, healing, and feats associated with a variety of different clans and schools while most people can only do things from just 1. If all this information gets out people might not know what what to believe, because it looks like people are just making up information. But the 'Gamer' context makes it so that this looks less strange and actually explains how he can so easily and readily pick up all of these abilities and skills and use them to the degree that he can.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

Remember that the man in black (the girl's father) already knows he is an ability user as well though...
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    Remember that the man in black (the girl's father) already knows he is an ability user as well though...
    Yes, but he thinks that his ability is entering any illusion barrier and then shutting it down (which is what the Chunbumoon told him).

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

Not true because he came to the protagonist after he healed his daughter the first time to do it again...
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    Not true because he came to the protagonist after he healed his daughter the first time to do it again...
    No he didn't.

Jee-Han and the Black Summoner haven't even interacted since BS picked up the daughter after the attack. He certainly hasn't asked Jee-Han to do anything, Jee-Han has been promising the daughter on his own.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

7. - Top - End - #517

Still, at the very least he knows Jee Han did something to heal his daughter. So he has to know he has more power than just entering illusion barriers.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ettin in the Playground

Still, at the very least he knows Jee Han did something to heal his daughter. So he has to know he has more power than just entering illusion barriers.
    That would assume that his daughter actually told him that Jee-Han helped her. She kind of seems the type to not say anything at all.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

9. - Top - End - #519

Well, his main stated goal is curing her illness. You'd think that he'd notice if her condition suddenly and rapidly improved immediately after spending time with him.

Edit: I went back and looked over that chapter again. The guy in black is standing directly behind the protagonist when he explains his healing ability to the girl. So either he knows, or he's deaf.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2014-08-24 at 07:28 PM.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

New Chapter!

Well that was an...abrupt end to the date?

Also looks like he finally remembered he has physical resistance, good to see that being ground up, as well as a marker for how strong gnome is. Although he's totally grinding the wrong skill for all of this, wonder how long it'll take him to remember he has a curse removal skill.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ettin in the Playground

In case anybody is wondering - right now the exchange rate to Korean Won is about 1 - 1000.

Meaning that 50,000,000 Won is equal to about $50,000 US.

And these are just items from relatively low-level enemies. Wait until he starts getting higher level items.

Saying he'll never need a real job is a huge understatement - he's going to be filthy rich.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

12. - Top - End - #522
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hmm he is leveling by letting Gnome hit him while he does something else=> He is basically afk grinding which is frowned upon in some games where it is possible. Calling it now the story ends when someone call a gamemaster who kicks him from the server/live for his leveling tactics!
    (No I am not serious.)

13. - Top - End - #523

This chapter also confirms that the MiB knows about the gamer ability already. Other than that, just more pointless grinding. I really hope we develop an actual plot at some point.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ettin in the Playground

... Honestly, I'm enjoying the grinding. The story seems more like a slice-of-life type thing than an action-packed one anyway...
    Lolth is so scary that even in TO, "having to be touched by Lolth" is recognized as a serious drawback for Lolth-touched.
    Ongoing Playtests:      The Avowed
    Handbooks:    Disregard Money, Acquire Buff Spells: Artificers without the Artifice E6 Plot Magic

15. - Top - End - #525

I enjoy it to a point. However after 50 chapters of it, it's getting old. I'm much more interested in things like the plot, world building, and even character relationships than just watching random numbers slowly increase.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Saying he'll never need a real job is a huge understatement - he's going to be filthy rich.
    He might still need a job as a cover story if he wants to interact with the mundane world.

He can try to pass off his income as being from vague investments or something if he wants, yes, but as far as he knows his own parents are normals (we know better, but he doesn't seem to have figured it out, probably because he doesn't know he's in a story.) Lying everyone 24-7 about having a job could wear thin on him, and if ordinary people figure out that something's wrong with his story, he could get killed by Gaia.

This partially explains why other people in the Abyss need money-laundering services; he might eventually need an explanation for his income that will pass more than casual inspection, especially if he wants to spend significant amounts in the mundane world -- and especially since failing to pass your income off as legitimate can actually cause you to die from a Paradox backlash or whatever.

Giving up on getting good grades, a degree, and a normal job would amount to giving up on ever having close muggle friends (and, if he doesn't realize his parents are part of the Abyss, might extend to giving up on staying close with his parents.) So it's understandable he's reluctant to go that far.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2014-08-29 at 05:31 AM.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Bugbear in the Playground

Eh simple plan: Write a comically horrible book. Self-publish it on amazon, let the auction house use all money he gets to buy copies. Tell others he is a successful author and let everyone wonder how such a horrible book sells and lament the lack of taste. And since it is passive income he doesn't have to do real work.^^ (Okay that might look like money laundering. Maybe write a decent book.)

But yeah for normal people he needs some kind of alibi. Investments work but people might ask him to invest their money too.

18. - Top - End - #528

For anyone that isn't the government/family he can just say he inherited money or something. Or he could just tell them it's none of their business where he gets money.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    He might still need a job as a cover story if he wants to interact with the mundane world.

He can try to pass off his income as being from vague investments or something if he wants, yes, but as far as he knows his own parents are normals (we know better, but he doesn't seem to have figured it out, probably because he doesn't know he's in a story.) Lying everyone 24-7 about having a job could wear thin on him, and if ordinary people figure out that something's wrong with his story, he could get killed by Gaia.

This partially explains why other people in the Abyss need money-laundering services; he might eventually need an explanation for his income that will pass more than casual inspection, especially if he wants to spend significant amounts in the mundane world -- and especially since failing to pass your income off as legitimate can actually cause you to die from a Paradox backlash or whatever.

Giving up on getting good grades, a degree, and a normal job would amount to giving up on ever having close muggle friends (and, if he doesn't realize his parents are part of the Abyss, might extend to giving up on staying close with his parents.) So it's understandable he's reluctant to go that far.
    Frankly I don't think he's worried about the 'muggle' aspect.

Right now his only real friend is Sun-Il (and maybe his cousin depending on how much you read into it). And while he doesn't know the specifics, he knows that SOMETHING is up with his mother.

So I don't think he's really worried about 'giving up' the muggle world.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

This chapter also confirms that the MiB knows about the gamer ability already. Other than that, just more pointless grinding. I really hope we develop an actual plot at some point.
    Huh, a bunch of plot advancement happened. He finally studied, he has confirmed his heal the girl plans, we got mocking from his friend, he got his money from his friend etc. Its very much slice of life, but the grinding was only a handful of pages.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

21. - Top - End - #531

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Huh, a bunch of plot advancement happened. He finally studied, he has confirmed his heal the girl plans, we got mocking from his friend, he got his money from his friend etc. Its very much slice of life, but the grinding was only a handful of pages.
    We got about half a chapter of grinding and about half a chapter of talking about grinding with a page or two of other stuff. I don't even mind slice of life stuff like Sun-Il's teasing and the date. I actually like those parts. It's just the grinding that's getting repetitive.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ettin in the Playground

We got about half a chapter of grinding and about half a chapter of talking about grinding with a page or two of other stuff. I don't even mind slice of life stuff like Sun-Il's teasing and the date. I actually like those parts. It's just the grinding that's getting repetitive.
    The author is trying to avoid one of the biggest pitfalls of Shounen - namely that they're getting their asses kicked and suddenly announce 'LOL I'VE ACTUALLY BEEN SECRETLY TRAINING AND MASTERED THIS ULTRA SECRET TECHNIQUE THAT ALLOWS ME TO WIN INSTANTLY!'

He's moving the story along while showing constant power progression. I find it paced pretty well right now, actually.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

23. - Top - End - #533
    Banned

The author is trying to avoid one of the biggest pitfalls of Shounen - namely that they're getting their asses kicked and suddenly announce 'LOL I'VE ACTUALLY BEEN SECRETLY TRAINING AND MASTERED THIS ULTRA SECRET TECHNIQUE THAT ALLOWS ME TO WIN INSTANTLY!'

He's moving the story along while showing constant power progression. I find it paced pretty well right now, actually.
    Debatable.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Colossus in the Playground

I know it's conceptually the same thing as 30 filler episodes of Rock Lee training in the forest, but the premise makes it quite a lot more tolerable for me, because he's not just punching dummies but is coming up with new ways of training all kinds of things, using his unique ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

25. - Top - End - #535
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I know it's conceptually the same thing as 30 filler episodes of Rock Lee training in the forest, but the premise makes it quite a lot more tolerable for me, because he's not just punching dummies but is coming up with new ways of training all kinds of things, using his unique ability.
    Speaking of him, Rock Lee could beat up the Gamer dude. Although, he might have open all the chaka gates.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I sort of agree. I think the main difference in this is reading it all at once, vs waiting a week in between each chapters. I re-read the last bit of grinding all at once, and it flowed a lot better as a whole then I remembered as individual parts.

And I'm not so much against the training bit, as I just wish it'd be interesting training? Fight some monsters or something, and let us see some growth that way, or maybe look at a new skill or his unused ones(still hasn't done anything with Mana drain or Psychokenisis yet I think) and he's still running around with the Apprentice Undead Hunter title, maybe find a way to get something relevant to his chosen ability uses. Seeing him come up with clever training ideas is nice and all, but so far it's just amounted to a bunch of numbers changing without any real gauge on what's been affected or how much. It would have been nice to have him spar with Sun-Il a few times throughout this just so we can grasp just how much has changed. Last time we saw him do something was against the knight and wizard and he got completely shut out offensively, so the date seemed like the perfect opportunity to have another group of people attack him(to try to capture him and the girl) and have him completely wreck them in a non-lethal way until the Black Summoner intervenes to finish them off for good to give us some sort of pay off for these training montages.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Colossus in the Playground

Last time we saw him do something was against the knight and wizard and he got completely shut out offensively, so the date seemed like the perfect opportunity to have another group of people attack him(to try to capture him and the girl) and have him completely wreck them in a non-lethal way until the Black Summoner intervenes to finish them off for good to give us some sort of pay off for these training montages.
    What about the leather jacket guys that attacked the redhead?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ettin in the Playground

I sort of agree. I think the main difference in this is reading it all at once, vs waiting a week in between each chapters. I re-read the last bit of grinding all at once, and it flowed a lot better as a whole then I remembered as individual parts.

And I'm not so much against the training bit, as I just wish it'd be interesting training? Fight some monsters or something, and let us see some growth that way, or maybe look at a new skill or his unused ones(still hasn't done anything with Mana drain or Psychokenisis yet I think) and he's still running around with the Apprentice Undead Hunter title, maybe find a way to get something relevant to his chosen ability uses. Seeing him come up with clever training ideas is nice and all, but so far it's just amounted to a bunch of numbers changing without any real gauge on what's been affected or how much. It would have been nice to have him spar with Sun-Il a few times throughout this just so we can grasp just how much has changed. Last time we saw him do something was against the knight and wizard and he got completely shut out offensively, so the date seemed like the perfect opportunity to have another group of people attack him(to try to capture him and the girl) and have him completely wreck them in a non-lethal way until the Black Summoner intervenes to finish them off for good to give us some sort of pay off for these training montages.
    Nah, the date served as his 'goal establishing moment'. In this case, heal the girl. He was kind of waffling around about it before, not really focused on it or anything else.

I'm guessing fighting is going to happen shortly, either unfriendly people heard him explain his ability to the girl, or somebody attacks the girl and he has to defend her.

Or, you know, Sae-Young decides the best way to mark her territory as a woman is to kick his ass.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-08-31 at 08:00 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

29. - Top - End - #539
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    What about the leather jacket guys that attacked the redhead?
    They were fairly weak though, the only reason they were a threat is because they had magic items that cursed her(400 million won and three weak mooks they were willing to sacrifice(which actually is kind of a clever plan thinking back, since she got cocky because the mooks were so weak and blocked the weapons instead of avoiding them entirely/instantly taking them down)). And what he did basically amounted to a surprise attack where used bind first(and the shield to save a guy, but the attack still went through and incapacitated the guy so eh to that one), so nothing really different(and actually utilized less of his skill set) then the Wizard fight, where he surprised attacked and bound one, but got his one big of offense stopped. It just didn't really show any sort of growth, a least to me.

Nah, the date served as his 'goal establishing moment'. In this case, heal the girl. He was kind of waffling around about it before, not really focused on it or anything else.

I'm guessing fighting is going to happen shortly, either unfriendly people heard him explain his ability to the girl, or somebody attacks the girl and he has to defend her.

Or, you know, Sae-Young decides the best way to mark her territory as a woman is to kick his ass.
    I think the problem for me is that they're establishing things that have been somewhat obvious(been basically thinking he's going to be saving her since around the point she appeared with the sickness and he healed her the first time)? It's necessary to an extent I agree, but ya, everything is slowly reaching that broiling point, probably why the mildly slow chapters are so aggravating right now because of all the tension that's just waiting to burst.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly, I prefer this slow setup to just leaping into random shonen battles against progressively-stronger opponents who are played up as earth-shatteringly important and immediately forgotten after they're defeated (with the constant shadow of some ultimate plot that never gets advanced and never gets any more detail until the very end when it inevitably disappoints), the way these series usually go.